• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battletech |KS| Turn-based tactical mech combat, Harebrained Schemes, Summer 2017

4Tran

I don't know if I'd expect that level of RPG-ness

The devs said on Twitch that the choices will be made more through the gameplay rather than mainly in dialogue. Like working for one house rather than the other, or taking on a contract against a rival house, or accepting some secret objectives during a mission. I think that aspect will be more important when the expanded campaign goal is reached
I'm expecting an offer from Liao to backstab your employer during a Davion mission.

deleted

The devs said on Twitch that the choices will be made more through the gameplay rather than mainly in dialogue. Like working for one house rather than the other, or taking on a contract against a rival house, or accepting some secret objectives during a mission. I think that aspect will be more important when the expanded campaign goal is reached

It's fine that they focus more on the combat. They should, it's the achilles heel of the Shadowrun games.

I just hope the writing is still as imaginative and descriptive.

AlStrong

:>
Lf2AnVi.jpg

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
After day 2 it's still trending about on par with Pillars of Eternity, if it keeps pace this could end in the 3 - 4 million range.

With PayPal, we're at PC origin stories. ($1.2 Million)

Player-Character Origin Stories: In BATTLETECH, you’ll create your own mercenary character to star in the story. If we hit this funding level, you'll be able to choose one of six origin stories for your mercenary commander's career. Are you the only heir of a once noble family that has since fallen from favor? The bastard child of a famous MechWarrior? You decide

Finally got around to kicking in my cash...this is the most I've contributed to a campaign since Carmageddon a few years back. I have no doubt that it'll be well worth the wait.

Dennis

Banned
$1.85 million is going to be a cake walk.

Which raises some interesting perspectives. I have no interest in the $2.5 million multiplayer goal but I am wondering if they have given any thought to significantly expanding the scope of the game if they get +$3 million. Or they might not be willing to go beyond their current design scope.

Woorloog

Banned

Which raises some interesting perspectives. I have no interest in the $2.5 million multiplayer goal but I am wondering if they have given any thought to significantly expanding the scope of the game if they get +$3 million. Or they might now be willing to go beyond their current design scope.

If they have any sense, they'll use any "extra" money to simply polishing the game if they have no ideas for extra content.
Though considering how big the Battletech universe is, finding extra stuff to do and add is simple (like, prototype Star-League tech, some of which was available in 3028, or experimental equipment like Blazers and EW Equipment).

Which raises some interesting perspectives. I have no interest in the $2.5 million multiplayer goal but I am wondering if they have given any thought to significantly expanding the scope of the game if they get +$3 million. Or they might not be willing to go beyond their current design scope.

If they have any sense, they'll use any "extra" money to simply polishing the game if they have no ideas for extra content.
Though considering how big the Battletech universe is, finding extra stuff to do and add is simple (like, prototype Star-League tech, some of which was available in 3028, or experimental equipment like Blazers and EW Equipment).
They were pretty insistent in the pre-KS Twitch stream that they're sticking to their current scope and any major expansions would be set aside for future games.

They were pretty insistent in the pre-KS Twitch stream that they're sticking to their current scope and any major expansions would be set aside for future games.

I'm most interested in the content not yet announced between $1.85 and $2.5 million - the Stage 3 TBA stuff. That mercenary campaign is going to be so good and I want to hear what they have in mind.

Dennis

Banned

I am a bit annoyed how they haven't tried to advance the scope of the Shadowrun games beyond what they accomplished with the first one so I hope that if this takes off they will have the courage to get not a little but a lot more ambitious.

I'm most interested in the content not yet announced between $1.85 and $2.5 million - the Stage 3 TBA stuff. That mercenary campaign is going to be so good and I want to hear what they have in mind.
Two things they'd like to include:
- Needing to pay salaries, manage logistics, and negotiating contracts from different houses so your mercenary group can grow over time
- Legendary mechwarriors and mechs to recruit

Two things they'd like to include:
- Needing to pay salaries, manage logistics, and negotiating contracts from different houses so your mercenary group can grow over time
- Legendary mechwarriors and mechs to recruit

The latter will be in the game as more social media goals are met (really smart way to do this, imo), but I'm not sure if they'll be recruitable or just adversaries.

So Excited for this. Catalyst has done some great things for the tabletop so I'm glad they have input, also the guys at PG have done a nice job with the Mech models, mostly. I've been running games open to the public for years now and its gonna be really nice to also introduce players to this as a means of getting used to the tactics and play. Pipe dream is some kind of port tabletop Battletech game to Hololens in the deep dark future.

Lime

I wonder if this game will introduce younger people (damn kids and their rock and/or roll music!) to Battletech and Mechwarrior. It would be ideal to have the old games available for those interested in exploring the legacy of the titles (and the amazing music in MW2 of course).

June 2017 is too long away.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I wonder if this game will introduce younger people (damn kids and their rock and/or roll music!) to Battletech and Mechwarrior. It would be ideal to have the old games available for those interested in exploring the legacy of the titles (and the amazing music in MW2 of course).

June 2017 is too long away.

Have you seen the threads about turn based combat on this forum?

Kids definitely won't be touching this game.

Lime

I though that was just a troll that was dismissed within the thread? Did a significant number of people seriously agree that turnbased gameplay is boring? I'm getting old, I guess.

Xcom, Civilization, Valkyria Chronicles, all are incredible games. And that's just mainstream games. Think of all the analogue turnbased games for instance.

Steel

Banned
I though that was just a troll that was dismissed within the thread? Did a significant number of people seriously agree that turnbased gameplay is boring? I'm getting old, I guess.

Xcom, Civilization, Valkyria Chronicles, all are incredible games. And that's just mainstream games. Think of all the analogue turnbased games for instance.

A large number of people view turn-based as "Archaic" and that it was only a thing because of technical limitations.

Here's a post I thought summed up the problem pretty well:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=173890470&postcount=86

I think the problem is that a lot of the old turn based systems are/were shitty in some way, usually a bad interface or combat system. Stuff like Valkyria Chronicles, XCOM: EU, and the Harebrained Schemes Shadowrun games streamlined the interfaces and reworked the tactical systems so that they're actually fun to play, instead of tedious and dull.

Ogimachi

I'll write an in-depth analysis once the first 3-day period is over, but some partial stats for those who might be interested:

battletechks1izug1.jpg

Llyranor

A large number of people view turn-based as "Archaic" and that it was only a thing because of technical limitations.
It's funny, because even if you look at the highly rated WRPGs like Witcher or Elder Scrolls, people will bash the action combat, yet turn around and consider turn-based 'archaic'. Give me the 'archaic' combat of Div Original Sin anyday :D

4Tran

To be fair, that's mostly an issue for console games. PC games have historically been more open to different kinds of systems, and turn-based combat has always had a place. I don't know if younger gamers are receptive to that kind of gameplay, but there's little reason to think otherwise.

AlStrong

Kinda disappointed how MWO turned out though I haven't played it in a couple years (lol), but is that even doing well? I just kept reading about the crazy prices for things and just turned away.

Ironically (I'm not really an MP player), I didn't mind EA's attempt at an MMO with BT3025... Had quite a lot of fun with the heavy pushes towards another House's capitol planet (I was part of House Kurita).

Hell I still wouldn't mind a streamlined third person shooter like MechAssault... I was in it for the story/lore/universe at the end of the day. MA1/2 would have been nice if they included option for custom loadouts, but otherwise I just liked blowing shit up.

~Kinggi~

Banned
It is very impressive this is already at 1.2. Thats substantial given there was a sustained first push. I can see this making 2.5 now.

Kylarean

Man, that was a quick jump. I backed when it was around $50,000. I've loved everything Harebrained has done so far, and they definitely have Kickstarter down.

Sblargh

Banned

Didn't even see this thread. Baffling.

These days, turn-based combat is a bullet point that, by itself, makes me check a game out. It's just a mechanic that gives a game a kind of pacing that I enjoy a lot.

These days, turn-based combat is a bullet point that, by itself, makes me check a game out. It's just a mechanic that gives a game a kind of pacing that I enjoy a lot.

Ditto. Real time is too chaotic and uncontrollable. Me likey the turn based combat.

fertygo

How its chance to reach all single-player goals?

I like you dude.

Steel

Banned

Agreed.

Honestly, they should drop the 3D portrait system and move the merc campaign up.

Eh, we'll get to all of it eventually. That being said, now I'm wondering what the sub-goals of the merc campaign will be.

This thread made me check out Shadowrun. I got Hong Kong. Played for an hour and instantly cell in love. Story driven cyberpunk world with interesting characters, single player turn based strategy with cool mechanics. I hear Dragonfall is even better. I'm starting to seriously consider backing this one, heck if it is going to be anything like Shadowrun in terms of gameplay, I'm in.

Man, that was a quick jump. I backed when it was around $50,000. I've loved everything Harebrained has done so far, and they definitely have Kickstarter down.

This is their fourth Kickstarter to date, and they seem to have it down to a science. Yet again, their initial goal was very modest and easily attainable, and they seemed to have paced their stretch goals out reasonably well. $2.5 million for the final goal isn't unrealistic in a 34day time span. They won't be running out of stretch goals from here to the end, unless they overshoot the $2.5 million early.

The rewards for backers are nicely laid out and they have even incorporated the backer missions.Also, I do like that Harebrained Schemes have managed to successfully release every kickstarter backed project to date before starting a new one.

It's funny. I used to dislike turn based. Well, dislike is too strong a word. They didn't seem fun. Then I played Frozen Synapse. And then I got into XCOM and so on, and now I love turn based games

Finalizer

I must be tripping but I'm getting hopeful for Stage 3... A second wave of people waiting for their paychecks and pledging, oh I hope it happens!

Are we doing the Shenmue 3 dance again?

Like any other Kickstarter - barring those with total lack of interaction from the studio by the end - there's pretty much guaranteed to be another surge of backers by the end of the campaign. It's safe to say we'll be getting to Stage 3, though I hope we get at least close to the 2.5 goal to make sure we catch all the mini-goals within Stage 3 to fully deck out the single player experience.

I like Turn Based just fine, but I do kinda wish this was real time so I could call it a proper MechCommander spiritual successor. I'm sure it'll be good, but it won't be that.

iirate

I know I'm in at least for 25, and maybe 125 at the end of this month. I got started with MWDA(terrible lore, but a great game in its own right), but got into CBT because of it as well. I've never played any of the Mech Commander games, but I'm pretty stoked for this.

Effect

Trying to play Mechwarrior Online makes me appreciate all the more this game is going to be turn based and isometric based as well. The idea of playing in real time and in first person is great as long as it's done well and doesn't feel to cumbersome. I think that's the best word I can think of for MWO at the moment. Things could be better presented. Thing is I'm not sure if things are the way they are on purpose with this game and it's due to the nature of the mechs they're trying to replicate or just possibly bad design choices.

I'd much rather be able to approach a combat situation in a more thoughtful manner. Now that can be done with it being real time as well but I think it could be done more so by having breathing room to examine the play area and plot out what I want to potentially do.

kosmologi

Trying to play Mechwarrior Online makes me appreciate all the more this game is going to be turn based and isometric based as well. The idea of playing in real time and in first person is great as long as it's done well and doesn't feel to cumbersome. I think that's the best word I can think of for MWO at the moment. Things could be better presented. Thing is I'm not sure if things are the way they are on purpose with this game and it's due to the nature of the mechs they're trying to replicate or just possibly bad design choices.

I'd much rather be able to approach a combat situation in a more thoughtful manner. Now that can be done with it being real time as well but I think it could be done more so by having breathing room to examine the play area and plot out what I want to potentially do.

What makes MWO cumbersome? I agree that the interface, balance and some other things need (a lot of) work, but the core gameplay is in very good shape, imo.

BTW, the first backer mission live stream starts in 2 minutes: http://www.twitch.tv/ngngtv

Steel

Banned

Mechwarrior Online controls like all the other mechwarrior games. It's a strange control method, I'll agree, but the throttle method allows for a lot of multi-tasking. Personally, I prefer the way Chromehounds controls.

Mechwarrior Online controls like all the other mechwarrior games. It's a strange control method, I'll agree, but the throttle method allows for a lot of multi-tasking. Personally, I prefer the way Chromehounds controls.

Honestly, it's just your standard HOTAS system, but for a mech instead of a plane. Used to play MW3&4 constantly with a force feedback joystick I borrowed from my dad, was a ton of fun.

I can see it being weird with a keyboard, though.

Nete

MWO core gameplay ('mechs feeling like 'mechs and 'mechs pewpewing each other) is fantastic. The problem on that game is everything else* going from bad to terrible, thanks to lots of bad design decisions, incompetence from the developers and an awful publisher.

*Not counting the amazing designs from Flyingdebris, of course.

Steel

Banned
MWO core gameplay ('mechs feeling like 'mechs and 'mechs pewpewing each other) is fantastic. The problem on that game is everything else* going from bad to terrible, thanks to lots of bad design decisions, incompetence from the developers and an awful publisher.

*Not counting the amazing designs from Flyingdebris, of course.

It really hurts to think that Mechwarrior Online, by its F2P nature, might kill any chance for a traditional mechwarrior with campaign being made in the future.

Honestly, it's just your standard HOTAS system, but for a mech instead of a plane. Used to play MW3&4 constantly with a force feedback joystick I borrowed from my dad, was a ton of fun.

I can see it being weird with a keyboard, though.

It's definitely weird on a keyboard. I used to have a forcefeedback stick too, but it broke and I never got around to replacing it. I mean, you can get used to Mechwarrior with KB&M so it's not that bad, but going from one game to another and back to mechwarrior is always weird.

Llyranor

I played MWO with KB/M, it's pretty easy to get used to. If anything, the mouse precision aiming makes you more competitive, probably.

The core gameplay is fine, but the balance/meta gets in the way, and the devs were pretty slow at fixing things (while breaking new things, or introducing new unnecessary obtuse elements like ghost heat without detailing in the actual game how it would work - you had to check out details online).

But ultimately, after playing a lot of War Thunder tanks on realistic/simulation, I can't get back to this type of gameplay, it's too arcadey (and yes, I realize some other mech games are even more arcadey). I wish someone would make a mech sim that would really make you feel like you're really piloting a lumbering bulky metal beast, in the way War Thunder does it so well with tanks. It's weird to say it, but War Thunder tanks feels like a better 'mech' game than MwO.

Top Bottom