• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battletech |KS| Turn-based tactical mech combat, Harebrained Schemes, Summer 2017

Lime

Catching up on old news and apparently Iron Man option might happen with this game.

Mitch wants Iron Man with the expanded campaign goals.

Oh my god, I am salivating at the thought of doing an Iron Man with banged up mechs, dead pilots, and barely sustainable finances.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Not used to having the legs be able to turn one way and the torso another. Don't get caught when they're not together or you're as good as dead. It's not a horrible experience at all though but perhaps just takes a lot to get used to. I would rather lock the torso in place if I could even if that put me at a disadvantage. It would make controlling the mech a lot easier as someone new. Unless there is a way of doing that and I'm not seeing it.

You would hate life if you couldn't torso twist, at all.

In the October 6th patch, they're going to add the HUGE torso indication arrow from the 'Training Academy' as an option in real matches. That will really help new players keep track of their torso positioning.

Rommel

Just started my Battletech book collection, have a lot of extra bookshelves space in my office so I was inspired to start. Picked up a few cheap lots on ebay. When I go home for Christmas I'll have to check and see what books are still around.

I own a complete set of the novels. A handful of years ago I decided to finish off my collection after I found the rarest book, The Sword and the Dagger, for 50 cents at a library book sale (it went for about $30 online at the time, now I see the cheapest on Amazon is $78).

You lucky bastard.

I've got to find a list somewhere of all the ones I'm missing, and finally pick up the rest.
I live in Aus, so I'm not even sure if Amazon will ship stuff here...

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Just started my Battletech book collection, have a lot of extra bookshelves space in my office so I was inspired to start. Picked up a few cheap lots on ebay. When I go home for Christmas I'll have to check and see what books are still around.

Did you get Decision at Thunder Rift?

The saga of the Grey Death Legion is where I started, and it's the reason I fell in love with Battletech.

nubbe

2 million seems like a lockdown, hope they avoid shifting resources to PVP

5KvJKZe.png

Really excited to see where this goes, but honestly as much as I really will love a fleshed out SP campaign, having some PvP will make me jump for extra copies, so I can gift them to friends and battle it out. It doesn't make too much sense for me to go in for an extra copy if I can't play it together with someone.

Effect

Looks like things slowed to a crawl. Never followed a KS this closely but is this par for the course? Or should things pick up if they put out an interesting update?

Yeah, usually there's a huge rush when the campaign kicks off, then things slow to a trickle for most of the campaign until the last few days, with a big push on the last day and in the final hours.

Rommel

Looks like things slowed to a crawl. Never followed a KS this closely but is this par for the course? Or should things pick up if they put out an interesting update?

I expect 20-50k a day until the last few days. Very normal.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder

This is totally normal.

The only question is how big the final 48 hour push will be. They used to be almost as pivotal as the first 48 hours, but that's been less true lately.

Lime

Really excited to see where this goes, but honestly as much as I really will love a fleshed out SP campaign, having some PvP will make me jump for extra copies, so I can gift them to friends and battle it out. It doesn't make too much sense for me to go in for an extra copy if I can't play it together with someone.

I'm going to get 10 copies for friends so they won't have any excuse to not play my favorite mech universe. Most of them are huge Xcom fans so this should be right up their alley

I'm going to get 10 copies for friends so they won't have any excuse to not play my favorite mech universe. Most of them are huge Xcom fans so this should be right up their alley

Of all the games I've backed, this is THE one I can't wait to see the little bits of development teasers they leak out after funding closes.

Nete

Of all the games I've backed, this is THE one I can't wait to see the little bits of development teasers they leak out after funding closes.

Same, although after checking the Shadowrun kickstarters, all the devs updates feels a bit lacking. Maybe I'm just spoiled by the wonderful monthly updates from The Mandate :p

Same, although checking the other Shadowrun kickstarters, all the dev's updates feels a bit lacking. Maybe I'm just spoiled by the wonderful monthly updates from The Mandate :p

How's that coming, anyway? I remember being really interested in it, but the kickstarter was back when I was in my "eat nothing but rice & ramen all week 'cause no money" period.

Nete

How's that coming, anyway? I remember being really interested in it, but the kickstarter was back when I was in my "eat nothing but rice & ramen all week 'cause no money" period.

It has been pushed back to 2016, but seems to be going pretty well. It has changed *a lot* since the prototype. If you have time, take a look on the updates since the kickstarter ended. They offer detailed insights on almost every part of the game, on how and why they chose to do each thing. It's really, really worth.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1964463742/the-mandate/updates

That is way off. These things always slow down much more.

While I would agree with you about the chart, these sorts of Kickstarters don't slow down that much. Two million is practically guaranteed, and I'll expect the final score to be past three million.

I'd be down with some cat-captains. Maybe even a couple of Mechwarriors.

I'm only sort of kidding.

By which I mean I'm not kidding.

At all.

Lime

I got a confession to make. I initially was one of the first $2K backers, just so I could get a spot in case I actually wanted to spend such an exorbiant amount of money on this (money which I don't currently have).

But after seeing how many people have been clamoring for the tier, I am probably going to back out of it and instead use as much money on extra keys for friends and colleagues.

So if anyone wants to get my spot, let me know and we can time it together when I do a downgrade.

Lime

New update

Wow, the Global Battletech Community really came through in full force for our FIRST WEEKLY BONUS MISSION! The team loved seeing you tweet your favorite #BTmemory stories. Here are a few of our favorites:

7211b34c72bf06374b006c3ugy.jpg

7211b34c72bf06374b006d52b502617f_original.JPG

What's Next?
So now, GBC, it’s time for the SECOND WEEKLY BONUS MISSION!

As Jordan said, this mission is all about Stuff. Many of us have been playing BattleTech and collecting memorabilia for decades, and our drawers, closets, and storage units are full of BattleTech Stuff! Whether it’s pins, models, patches, or "something you'd never expect", tweet us photos of your cool BattleTech gear using the hashtags #myBTstuff and #BATTLETECH.

And don't forget to tag your friends and tell them to send us pictures of their favorite Stuff too!

Right now, we’re only three points away from unlocking House Davion’s Fox’s Teeth as an enemy unit you can fight against in the skirmish game!

Lime

Man, a ton more peeps would up their pledges if they made Clan Wolf and Jade Falcon patches available. I know I fucking would.

Next campaign. The Clan mechs are way too iconic to miss out on. Even Mitch says he wants a Mad Cat in the latest Q&A, so unless something goes down at HBS or they change their future plans after this game, expect a Clan campaign.

I just hope they will finally let us play as Clanners like in MW2 - I'm tired of playing as the Noble Inner Sphere versus the Evil Clans

Woorloog

Banned
I just hope they will finally let us play as Clanners like in MW2 - I'm tired of playing as the Noble Inner Sphere versus the Evil Clans

Speaking of this BT game, i hope the campaign isn't typical Good and Noble Davions vs Evil-Commie Capellans or Noble-but-Evil Kuritan.
Would prefer playing as a Cappie (well, as a merc working for them) and blasting some Davions for a change.

Speaking of this BT game, i hope the campaign isn't typical Good and Noble Davions vs Evil-Commie Capellans or Noble-but-Evil Kuritan.
Would prefer playing as a Cappie (well, as a merc working for them) and blasting some Davions for a change.

Hmm...

Nah.

Davion >>> all

Woorloog

Banned
How'd that work out for y'all?

*Shrug*
Reasonably. At least the FedSuns is getting screwed by 3150.
It is possibly Blakist agents are the ones that caused the Dark Age mess, the only symbol of the Blackout instigators is reminiscent of the WoB Shadow Division insignia.

Man, it is so disappoint to have another BT game set in 31st century, the current Dark Age events are so very intriguing, and the Clan-IS balance is no longer a concern thanks to advanced IS technologies and proliferation of Clan and mixed-tech units.

Wonder how long it is going to take when we'll get any game set during the Jihad at least...
I'm afraid that even if this BT game succeeds, and they make an expansion or a new game with the Clans and even if that succeeds as well, that HBS won't move onward on the timeline.

(By the way, even though i say i'd rather play as something else than Davions, i am actually going to paint one third of miniatures as a Davion company. I'm just sick of Davions in BT video games...)

Kyougar

*Shrug*
Reasonably. At least the FedSuns is getting screwed by 3150.
It is possibly Blakist agents are the ones that caused the Dark Age mess, the only symbol of the Blackout instigators is reminiscent of the WoB Shadow Division insignia.

Man, it is so disappoint to have another BT game set in 31st century, the current Dark Age events are so very intriguing, and the Clan-IS balance is no longer a concern thanks to advanced IS technologies and proliferation of Clan and mixed-tech units.

Wonder how long it is going to take when we'll get any game set during the Jihad at least...
I'm afraid that even if this BT game succeeds, and they make an expansion or a new game with the Clans and even if that succeeds as well, that HBS won't move onward on the timeline.

(By the way, even though i say i'd rather play as something else than Davions, i am actually going to paint one third of miniatures as a Davion company. I'm just sick of Davions in BT video games...)

The Jihad is fanfiction. it never happened!

I'm happy that they did not go for clans. Even though I enjoy the unfair tech balance in the game while playing, I'm utterly and totally bored with the clan setting, it's great but so over used. The universe of battletech has so much more to offer than the same old clans.

It might be just me, and the fact I was a teenager when I started playing seriously battletech and at that time the whole clan deal was so new and cool, but now it just seems some how shallow and less complex, which is also less "real" in a sense, too hollywood too simplified...

Don't get me wrong, I love all things Battletech, even the clan stuff, especially the IS tech vs. Clan tech is great! And as part of the lore as a whole the clan invasion surely has it's place... <3

4Tran

Next campaign. The Clan mechs are way too iconic to miss out on. Even Mitch says he wants a Mad Cat in the latest Q&A, so unless something goes down at HBS or they change their future plans after this game, expect a Clan campaign.

If they manage to rebalance the technology that was out of whack back in TRO: 3050, playing Clanners would be a lot more interesting.

Capellans and Manei Domini certainly seem like the funnest villains to play. Too bad we're unlikely to see the latter in any Battletech game.

Steel

Banned
I'm happy that they did not go for clans. Even though I enjoy the unfair tech balance in the game while playing, I'm utterly and totally bored with the clan setting, it's great but so over used. The universe of battletech has so much more to offer than the same old clans.

It might be just me, and the fact I was a teenager when I started playing seriously battletech and at that time the whole clan deal was so new and cool, but now it just seems some how shallow and less complex, which is also less "real" in a sense, too hollywood too simplified...

Don't get me wrong, I love all things Battletech, even the clan stuff, especially the IS tech vs. Clan tech is great! And as part of the lore as a whole the clan invasion surely has it's place... <3

I agree. I mean, the clans are nice to shake things up, but they have too many rules and that makes things kinda... Predictable. On the other hand, Inner Sphere politics is like Game of Thrones in space.

Top Bottom