• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beard-GAF

Status
Not open for further replies.

JiuJitsuka

Neo Member
Yeah, that might be possible. I'll give it a try next time I shave and see how it turns out. I can't promise anything though.

Also, a three-way mirror is absolutely essential for beard maintenance. If you don't have a three-way mirror, try angling another mirror against the one that you use. You want to be able to see what you're doing while you're shaving, it makes a world of difference.

Damn right.
please send me a message if you ever get a video up

Tess3ract

Banned
i7OHy7cBOQIJA.jpg

This is me just getting out of bed and reading neogaf.

Also one month or so of growth.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
http://i.minus.com/i7OHy7cBOQIJA.jpg[img]

This is me just getting out of bed and reading neogaf.

Also one month or so of growth.[/quote]

Niccccccceeeeee!, you almost look like a soap opera villian, a little trim/shape-up, and you can have a double role as a baddie and a goodie doppelganger on Days of Our Lifes

Laundry hamper getting full though buddy

I can't do a beard, I end up looking like a terrorist hobo within a couple of weeks.
But I am impressed with your beards, keep it up gentlemen!

heckfu

Banned
Finally a place I can call home. Hi, beard gaf! First is when I trimmed for a job interview to show length difference, and the second is just a badass picture of me when I was living out west on an Indian reservation.

03WfV.jpg

N9QGP.jpg

Gents, it's been a little over a month since I last posted. I kind of feel embarrassed for posting this lame attempt at a beard after GraveRobberX and others have posted their awesome-nests, but still, I have to make do with what little I got. As before, please excuse the shitty webcam quality.

Bonus image with one of my cats photobombing.

As you can see, I haven't really made that much progress (here's the initial set of pictures), beard still looks wiry as hell and underneath the hairy mess there are still uncovered patches. I kind of like the way it looks right when I'm out of the shower and dry it a little bit, but a few hours after that I start looking like a hobo werewolf.

In any case, I haven't touched a single hair since I started and I plan to continue that way until August (don't know why, two months felt like a good place to start). After that I do plan on going to a barber to get a decent neckline and maybe try to do something about the wiry hair.

As usual, any suggestions regarding the wiry hair are more than welcome.

sphinx

the piano man
hey beard GAF, what do your ladies (or boyfriends) think about your beards?

yesterday I had a date (A good friend I already know) and kissed for the first time with my miserable goatee! not even a full beard!

I was told twice " you look very interesting but it's itchy, you scratch my face"

...lol, XD

I said "Oh, I am sorry".. but deep inside I was thinking "I'll be careful, but you either deal with it and get used to my awesome, manly goatee or you can bail out at any time" hehe

If she doesn't like the beard, you better let her go. She's not prepared for the awesome.

I've had good comments regarding the beard in the looks department as well as the texture of it (though I have had some minor complaints re: oral sex as well). I guess it depends on how rough it is, but usually the longer it grows, the less scratchy it is for others.

Hello Beard-GAF. Last winter, I decided for the hell of it I would let my hair run wild. Both on top of my head and my face. While I myself enjoyed the beard - despite its wiry nature and a strange orange tinge - most of my family and friends weren't too impressed. lol. Here is a picture:

For reference, below is how I usually keep it unless it's a special occasion, in which case I will shave it all off.

I need to work on my tan, I know. Anyway, there are some awesome looking beards in this thread. I don't know if it's just me, but whenever I see someone with a beard, I feel an immediate kinship with them. We're beard brothers.

bunbun777

Okay okay okay.

400231_297194980329080_217195485_n.jpg

400231_297195010329077_153661530_n.jpg

398709_297197253662186_581573259_n.jpg

The last two was when I visited mi madre and she convinced me to shave. Then I got a haircut shortly thereafter. Will try to take a pic and post soon of my current goatee and side beard. Love you beard-gaf.

That is the official beard mullet there in the first pic: Business on the left, party on the right. Excellent.

--

Here's mine, freshly trimmed shorter-than-usual for my vacation tomorrow:

It's a strange mixture of brown, orange and white. I've had a beard now for about three years (I'm 20) and I don't think I could ever see myself parting with it. It's almost ritualistic. I've been thinking of growing it longer, usually it's about 1.5-2 cm, depending on the season, and my mood. I trim weekly with a Phillips grooming trimmer that I bought 3 years ago for $40, and it has done me well considering the price.

How did you get such a stylish beard? No matter what I do I end up looking like a taliban member lol.

MjFrancis

Thanks guys!

I love GraveRobberX's response because I already considered it for my original post. If anyone's going to surpass that beard in short order he'll be the one. His beard is fierce.

There's lots to know about growing a beard of significant length. Lots that I would have preferred to have known before I began this endeavor. The biggest hurdle was knowing how often to wash/condition my beard and getting past the scruffy look when it's neither long nor short, somewhere about 3-6 inches. It's easier to pull off a Gandalf look after that.

Thanks guys!

I love GraveRobberX's response because I already considered it for my original post. If anyone's going to surpass that beard in short order he'll be the one. His beard is fierce.

There's lots to know about growing a beard of significant length. Lots that I would have preferred to have known before I began this endeavor. The biggest hurdle was knowing how often to wash/condition my beard and getting past the scruffy look when it's neither long nor short, somewhere about 3-6 inches. It's easier to pull off a Gandalf look after that.

Jump in and put up a basic tutorial? Some things you've realized?

MjFrancis

Jump in and put up a basic tutorial? Some things you've realized?

Drazgul said:
Why yes, I am a super-wizard (one that really needs to get a new phone).
diYEk.jpg
I guess part of the reason would be this guy right here! I've done a lot of things trial-and-error throughout the sixteen months I've grown my beard, but the knowledge Drazgul has gleaned may be far more valuable. I'll chip in soon enough, though.

In the meantime, could you entertain us with a few pieces of info about your beard, Drazgul? If I had to guess I'd say you have a three-year beard. What's your routine for taking care of such a thing? How often does hair fall out?

Salazar

There are some truly epic beards on gaf.

I can never join you :(

Wikipedia supplies a dubious (but perhaps motivational) anecdote:

Difficulties in measuring beard growth have led to controversies concerning the effects of hormonal activity on short term pogonotrophy. For example, a physicist had to spend periods of several weeks on a remote island in comparative isolation. He noticed that his beard growth diminished, but the day before he was due to leave the island it increased again, to reach unusually high rates during the first day or two on the mainland. He studied the effect and concluded that the stimulus for increased beard growth was related to the resumption of sexual activity

F#A#Oo

Banned
No beard...
SY0W6.jpg

Bum fluff time!...
DJ5aQ.jpg

Beard for the SWARM!...
kEfd0.jpg

It's taking over! What's coming over me!
z556D.jpg

Transformation now comes with Pakol hat+death stare!
tKeAv.jpg

MjFrancis

Caring for and Wearing a Beard

A summary of beard-care advice.

If I had to sum it down to one thing, wash your beard. Seriously, wash your beard. Not too often, maybe only 2-3 times/week, but wash your beard. Condition, too. If you have dandruff, try a dandruff shampoo. If it persists and dries out your beard, moisturize the skin with conditioner or another moisturizer and resume regular shampoo application. One of these two options will cure your dandruff.

For those interested in the long-form specifics, I just use whatever non-dandruff shampoo that tickles my fancy, comb it through my beard, and rinse thoroughly. Then I apply conditioner and I make sure to comb it throughout the beard and especially on the skin under my beard. I'll wait 5-10 minutes (sometimes I just get out of the shower at this time) then return to gently rinse. I don't agitate my beard by drying it but I brush it straight down and after the shower so it stays in a vertical orientation. Then I spend the rest of the day not touching my beard and then my face because that just spreads oil from your beard to your pores which is dumb.

Oh, and comb your beard if it's long enough for it. Polite society will thank you (or at least they should).

This is my most successful and presentable routine for maintaining a beard that goes down to my chest. Any questions, feel free to ask.

Ultima_5

Sup beard gaf. I dont know if i've posted in here before or not, but either way. Here's my beard

Xv24o.png

Not bad for a 21 year old i guess. Anyway, it's going to be going away in a few weeks as I got to try to get a job and will be going to career fairs and the like =/

Kjellson

http://www.beards.org/neck.php

anyway, i did mine just being shy. it took me like 3 months and 3 different (and increasing) shaves.

or just ask for help, some friend or relative!

Neckline is something I struggled with for a long time too. I just recently feel like I've been getting the hang of it, and I've had a beard for 4 years now (though it's not nearly as godly as some in this thread). Here's a side view of mine:

Start with two fingers and place them right at your adam's apple. Shave there and then stay parallel to your jawline, until you get towards your ears where you should round it out a bit. That's how I do mine.

Hope that helps!
Thanks guys! I'll have to try this one day.

Wow, you look almost exactly like a guy I know, only a little less Asian.

shaowebb

Greetings Beard-Gaf! I give to you the greatest gift ever given to beards.

A fucking rock opera bonus track made and performed by The Protomen of internet fame.

BEARDS GOING NOWHERE

The epic ballad of Dr. Light singing about the beard he will grow to his love interest Emily. It was made and performed just for Whiskerino.

dekline

I'm letting my beard grow out for the first time in years. The only thing i'm really doing with it is shave my neck because it just looks better that way.

FUCK YEAH BEARDS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom