• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beard-GAF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pollux

So what's the best way to wear a full beard? Are beards professional? Do you have to shave the neck or can you just let it go? I haven't shaven in 2 weeks and want to the the beard going. Any advice?

Shave the neck, keep it trimmed so you don't have a ton of long hairs everywhere. I keep mine close to the face as much as possible. Still waiting for the cheeks to grow in the rest of the way though :(

Also, if they're professional, it depends on the industry. From what I've seen, a lot of places don't mind a clean, trimmed beard.

Salazar

zmoney said:
Ok, so no neck hair is the way to go? Anything else I should know?

I wouldn't say no neck hair, unless or until you're confident with the jaw-line you're trimming to. It can look fucked up if you shave too high. Having the beard recede sharply, rather than simply stopping, should be ok.

Circle beard GAF reporting in.

rage_pittjjucr.jpg

gordon-freeman-gif.gif

Salazar said:
I wouldn't say no neck hair, unless or until you're confident with the jaw-line you're trimming to. It can look fucked up if you shave too high. Having the beard recede sharply, rather than simply stopping, should be ok.

I guess it also depends on what you consider the neck. I consider the neck as ending where my chin starts to angle. I don't know if that makes sense, but other people seem to think that it's the neck until it reaches the front facing part of your face. Other people are crazy to me though.

Beard GAF!

I shave the neck and trim the rest occasionally with a hair clipper, just to even it out. Trying to grow one of these right now:

C69K3.jpg

Goody

A clean, trimmed beard is always a good thing and almost always professional. It's when it's anywhere inbetween that it can be an issue.

Some people just can't grow a full beard. And if you can't, don't.

EDIT: Also, I use a Remington MB-900 and it works great. It's not so much the beard trimmer as much as how it's used.

Know the shape of your face and how best to shape your beard to the shape of your face. I, for example, have chubby cheeks. I typically trim my sides down and keep my goatee a little longer that that it elongates my face a little bit.

Jin34 said:
What does Beard-Gaf recommend for beard trimmers?

Any standard electric hair clipper works fine. You can get them at a drug store for $20-30.

I usually trim to setting #3, #2 is a bit short. Although it doesn't look bad, it's not quite long enough for my tastes, almost like a really bad 5 o'clock shadow instead of a beard. #4 is too long if you're not going for the mountain man look. The mustache area gets too scruffy, you don't want whiskers hanging over your top lip.

Pollux

Salazar said:
Give me a year. My girlfriend can just ficking deal with it. I WILL have that heard.

Seriously though, does the itchiness last the entirety your growing and having a beAd or does it go away? Right now I have some red dots that I can see I I look closely and my face is a little itchy... I want to get a nice beard but don't want to deal wih the itch. Of that makes any sense.

Goody

zmoney said:
Seriously though, does the itchiness last the entirety your growing and having a beAd or does it go away? Right now I have some red dots that I can see I I look closely and my face is a little itchy... I want to get a nice beard but don't want to deal wih the itch. Of that makes any sense.
It'll go away as soon as you have a full beard. Either that or you'll get used to it.

thespot84

in terms of professional it really depends on your profession. you in a big office? law firm? finance? sales? pizza delivery? It really depends. I definitely trim the neck beard (comments below) and shave to a #2 ish and can be professional in most any situation, but it always has to be kept, I shave about 2 to 3 times a week.

For the neck line: grow out everything for TWO WEEKS. This is the hard part when you have a job, because it will itch and it will look like shit until it comes in, but then the itch goes away. If you don't wait the two weeks you risk trimming the neck line incorrectly and at that point you pretty much need to start over. You want to peg the line at the general are where the horizontal meets the vertical. It might pay to have a barber do it the first time since they have a better vantage point typically.

EDIT: Sorry didn't realize you were already 2 weeks in. If you think it'll grow in more than keep going until it's full to trim, but as someone said before if you can't grow a full beard don't wear one. If you can only do a goatee or something go with that.

Pollux

Esnel Pla said:
It'll go away as soon as you have a full beard. Either that or you'll get used to it.
My facial hair grows relatively fast. So on average how long does a "full beard" take to grow and what is everyone defining as a full beard?

I would post pictures of beards but I'm on my phone. Can't sleep

Pollux

thespot84 said:
i prefer the venom mask anyways.

eh I subbed, maybe this'll become OT - Facial Hair
Sure why not. I'll pm a mod for a title change if people want that sort of thing?

Have had a beard since 14.

Shave the neck, give yourself a good line on your jaw, if you are having trouble doing this go get it done at a good barbershop then maintain it on your own.

A well kept beard is very professional and instantly makes you 10x more manly.

Also, consider getting some shampoo for your beard, it'll help alot. Regular combing helps too.

Fry

Zombie James said:
Beard GAF!

I shave the neck and trim the rest occasionally with a hair clipper, just to even it out. Trying to grow one of these right now:

C69K3.jpg

He looked so lame without his beard :(

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
Starting december 25th, I'm not shaving anymore for at least three months. Why? Because I won't be restricted by work limitations currently preventing me from doing this. Also, I'm going sailing on a sea. It's going to be extremely manly all in all.

Number45

Keeping an eye on this. When Movember is over I'm going to grow a beard, and this time I might even bother to keep it trim.

Had a full beard once but people either called me "hobo" or "terrorist".

I don't mean to offend anyone, but those are the comments I was getting...Never again, unless I have things more under control

Fry

zmoney said:
Are you male? Every male has a beard just waiting to get out. Let it free my friend. It is quite liberating.

Yep. I just hate the way I look with it. I shave it every 3 days or so.

zmoney said:
Are you male? Every male has a beard just waiting to get out. Let it free my friend. It is quite liberating.
I can't grow a beard. ):

I have so many bald patches on my face. Sometimes I think something's growing in but then it doesn't. )):

jaxword

zmoney said:

I...have trouble growing a beard:

2dv1oie.gif

I just grow a pedo-stache if I don't shave, no chinstrap or anything else.

sfedai0

Banned
zmoney said:

So my masculinity is in danger then cause I cant grow a beard to save my life. Shit, I cant even connect anything.

Pollux

sfedai0 said:
So my masculinity is in danger then cause I cant grow a beard to save my life. Shit, I cant even connect anything.
No your masculinity is not in danger. Worry not. Get yourself a kickass hairdo and you'll be g2g.

Togglesworlh said:
I'm just gonna fill a tub with Rogaine and dunk my head in it. Right?
Motherofgod.gif

Qasiel

Togglesworlh said:
I can't grow a beard. ):

I have so many bald patches on my face. Sometimes I think something's growing in but then it doesn't. )):

I know your pain, dude.

It sucks even harder when the rest of the guys in your family rock awesome beards. I'm guessing I was the postman's son or something.

Medalion

Banned
I dont have a beard but a goatee

And neck hair is annoying as fuck, swear that shit grows faster than any hair on my face

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom