• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beard-GAF

Status
Not open for further replies.

FreeMufasa

jaxword said:
I...have trouble growing a beard:

I just grow a pedo-stache if I don't shave, no chinstrap or anything else.

Same (I'm 21). But I think I'm just now starting to get proper facial hair.

I just don't have it in me to go for a full, long beard. I get about a week into it and I can't stand the itching :(

It would rule to have a mountain man/crazy prospector beard.

Pollux

Night_Trekker said:
I just don't have it in me to go for a full, long beard. I get about a week into it and I can't stand the itching :(

It would rule to have a mountain man/crazy prospector beard.
I'm going for that, and then plan on trimming it down so it's still thick but not "prickly" like my girlfriend calls it.

My question is that after a few more weeks once it fills out a bit, does it stop being "prickly" and does it get softer? Whenever I kiss her she says it feels like she's being stabbed by a porcupine...

Granted I'm only 13 days into this experiment...

Jin34 said:
What does Beard-Gaf recommend for beard trimmers?
I have a whal beard trimmer that's basically a small version of their regular hair trimmer. Runs on a couple aa batteries and comes with beard-length guides. It's awesome and was only like 30 bucks.

Qasiel said:
I know your pain, dude.

It sucks even harder when the rest of the guys in your family rock awesome beards. I'm guessing I was the postman's son or something.
Yeah. I mean my dad can't grow a beard. (He tried once. Once.) But my mom's side... all of my uncles have the beards of men.

I would love to be able to grow a beard, but... nope.

However, since I have no reason to shave, because I am a poor grad student and have no job to look nice at, rarely have time to go out, etc. (oh man that sounds so sad), I decided that in honor of no-shave November, I would just let it go for a month or more. It's now been two weeks since I stopped shaving. It's awful. My original plan was to wait until New Year's, at least. I'll probably give up soon, though.

Excuse me while I go cry like a beardless man cries.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
krypt0nian said:
oqm0df.jpg

EPIC BEARD IS EPIC.

After the Empson, I felt the need to fix the thread.

He has a Grunt tattooed on his belly.

Pollux

Alright Beard-GAF, this is after around 13 days of growth...looking OK? Think I'll be able to pull off the full beard when it fills in a bit?

Imkip.jpg

besada

Banned
I have a full Grizzly Adams. I'm fortunate that my beard just stops growing right at the neck line, so no trimming for me.

I love my beard.

Edit: I second the Wahl beard trimmer with built in guide. I actually use mine mostly for the jousts he, when I begin eating hair, but if I need to smarten up the Grizzly, it's perfect. You can also trim the eyebrows with it.

Pollux

woodchuck said:
I recommend growing it out and letting it fill in. Then trim it so it leaves stubble.

Stubble > beard

Agreed, I don't plan on growing it out too long. But otherwise, good start?

besada

Banned
bangladesh said:
I've been growing for growing for no shave Movember. I feel like fucking Thor, dude.
Something most people don't know is that having a massive beard makes your dick bigger. It harvests free-floating testosterone from the air and channels it to your cock. The bigger the beard, the bigger the package.

Scientific fact.

besada said:
Something most people don't know is that having a massive beard makes your dick bigger. It harvests free-floating testosterone from the air and channels it to your cock. The bigger the beard, the bigger the package.

Scientific fact.
lol
I have been watching too much boardwalk empire, it gives me a will to shave everyday now

McLovin

I love having a beard, but I have this spot that doesn't grow any hair under my nose. My beard is full everywhere else :(

whitehawk

Banned
I usually just trim it pretty short 2 times a week so I always have at least a little bit of stubble. On occasion I get lazy and let it grow for a week or 2. Then I look in the mirror and trim it right away.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
I keep telling myself "you're looking for a job, you need to shave"... but then another part reminds me "Your beard is your job"...

I'm in quite the conundrum.

Pollux

wenis said:
I keep telling myself "you're looking for a job, you need to shave"... but then another part reminds me "Your beard is your job"...

I have a job fair next week, yet I'm going to make sure my neck is clean and just go with it. If they don't want to interview me b/c i'm growing a beard then they can just go touch themselves.

zmoney said:
I have a job fair next week, yet I'm going to make sure my neck is clean and just go with it. If they don't want to interview me b/c i'm growing a beard then they can just go touch themselves.
I laughed, but I don't quite know why.

Thoraxes

I can grow mostly a full beard, but I actually prefer to keep the cheeks shorter. Additionally, for any job, picking up women, or just looking plain nice, I always keep the neck clean. My face for example:

VF3DR.jpg

I find that this look is great, and that even women who hate beards finally turn to the dark side and learn to love them with this shaping of it. Making a good neckline is difficult, and if you wear glasses (if your eyes are bad enough) I recommend asking a friend to help or to wear contacts if possible to make it a perfect as you can.

Also during the summer when I decide to be a scumbag, I let my hair and beard grow out so I look like a hippy or homeless person. It's fun.

Also don't forget to use shampoo and conditioner your beard at least once a week! It keeps the hair nice, clean, and healthy and goes a long way with beard care.

I think once it fills in more you'll be just fine, zmoney.

I just recently switched from goatee/sideburns combo to full beard. I hadn't been able to fill in the jawline very well (still can't), but it grew long enough on the place I could grow it that I can fake it.
It's not a comb-over, I swear!

I usually got two weeks without shaving the neck or trimming until it starts looking too bleh for work.

Pollux

Thoraxes said:
I can grow mostly a full beard, but I actually prefer to keep the cheeks shorter. Additionally, for any job, picking up women, or just looking plain nice, I always keep the neck clean. My face for example:

http://i.imgur.com/VF3DR.jpg[IMG]

I find that this look is great, and that even women who hate beards finally turn to the dark side and learn to love them with this shaping of it. Making a good neckline is difficult, and if you wear glasses (if your eyes are bad enough) I recommend asking a friend to help or to wear contacts if possible to make it a perfect as you can.

Also during the summer when I decide to be a scumbag, I let my hair and beard grow out so I look like a hippy or homeless person. It's fun.

Also don't forget to use shampoo and conditioner your beard at least once a week! It keeps the hair nice, clean, and healthy and goes a long way with beard care.[/QUOTE]

Looks good man. Very clean and professional

Once it fills in like that and gets a bit longer than what mine is at, is it softer? Is it still prickly as hell? My girlfriend won't stop bitching that when I kiss her she says it feels like she's kissing a porcupine. Does that type of prickliness go away?

Wool

wenis said:

Words to live by. Never done the beard, but I grew a mustache for about 9 weeks this summer. It was itchy, it got in my mouth, but I've never had so much character in my life. I'll tell you what.

Thoraxes

zmoney said:
Looks good man. Very clean and professional

Once it fills in like that and gets a bit longer than what mine is at, is it softer? Is it still prickly as hell? My girlfriend won't stop bitching that when I kiss her she says it feels like she's kissing a porcupine. Does that type of prickliness go away?
As long as I clean it (shampoo+conditioner) it says soft, though the goatee area tends to be a little more prickly then the rest of the beardal region. I would sya it does get softer as it gets longer only because when the hair is shorter, it doesn't really fall, it just sticks out. When it grows longer though, it will lay in a direction, which would soften it anyways.

Emitan

I can't grow a mustache so no circle beard for me. Had a goatee type thing that's been growing into a full beard because I'm lazy.

Salazar

zmoney said:
Does that type of prickliness go away?

Yeah, I think it does in general.

The only problem with mine is that when it gets long, the hair colour changes from black to a dark red. Watch out for that shit, beard-GAF.

woodchuck said:
I recommend growing it out and letting it fill in. Then trim it so it leaves stubble.

Stubble > beard

Stubble is easier for young men to pull off. Once you hit middle age, a neatly trimmed beard is smarter looking. Stubble looks like you didn't shave. (even if your neck is shaved)

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
I normally rock the circle beard, but I decided to give No Shave November a go this year. I can normally grow a full circle beard in a month, and I appear right on schedule with the full beard. I'll definitely shave the neck beard growth at the end of the month, but depending on how the cheeks fill out, I might test the full beard a bit longer.

Pollux

Can't wait for multi-quote

Death Dealer said:
Stubble is easier for young men to pull off. Once you hit middle age, a neatly trimmed beard is smarter looking. Stubble looks like you didn't shave. (even if your neck is shaved)
I'm 22 right now and I think stubble makes me look like slob. Once I shaved my neck I felt much cleaner, and hopefully once the beard fills out I can keep it looking sharp, clean, and professional.

Salazar said:
Yeah, I think it does in general.

The only problem with mine is that when it gets long, the hair colour changes from black to a dark red. Watch out for that shit, beard-GAF.
What in the....? Mine is a mix of black, blonde, and light brown, so that should be interesting lol

Meadows

Banned
Look at these SAS fuckers:

Special_Air_Service_in_North_Africa_E_21337.jpg

That was in WW2. So badass. Wish I could grow a decent one...maybe in a few years (I'm 20, most people at my uni can't grow one either).

WedgeX

Banned
Beard-GAF!

I do not shave my neck. Makes the rest of my beard look awkward.

IMG_0969-1-1.jpg

Taken when I was still on crutches. Looks about the same, now.

Also, proving that beards can look professional.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Jin34 said:

All taken minutes ago.

That looks good. Looks sharp, thick, goes in proper directions, etc. I can't grow mine like that. It goes in all directions and there is more space between the hair than in your pic.

I shave my mustache.

I'll probably have to shave off my beard completely anyway, I don't think it's gonna work for me.

Jin34

Ether_Snake said:
That looks good. Looks sharp, thick, goes in proper directions, etc. I can't grow mine like that. It goes in all directions and there is more space between the hair than in your pic.

I shave my mustache.

You'd be surprised, shaving for me is a mess. I have to shave in different directions and angles to get all the hair plus I get in-growns. It's just that I've had it for like a month now so I've plucked them out with a needle and keep the beard long enough to where they don't grow in. Neck still a mess of bumps due to in-growns though it doesn't show up in the pics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom