• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Because Canada: Justin Trudeau kayaks over to a family to discuss climate change

I've never understood your schtick, are you supposed to be playing an example of a terrible Canadian voter or is this actually you?
5061326-0744138176-16016.gif

Azzanadra

Meh, personally the Trudeau hype has worn off on me. I think it was electoral reform that did me in, because otherwise I voted for a Liberal and didn't feel bad about it! Now I know what all my elders have been warning me about the Liberal party as this was the first federal election I was old enough to vote in.

Meh, personally the Trudeau hype has worn off on me. I think it was electoral reform that did me in, because otherwise I voted for a Liberal and didn't feel bad about it! Now I know what all my elders have been warning me about the Liberal party as this was the first federal election I was old enough to vote in.
to me, the NDP stink of putting forwad a motion of no confidence against Paul Martin has not worn off on me.

to me, the NDP stink of coluding with Harper has not worn off on me.

to me, the NDP stink of campaigning against the Clarity Act then pushing their 50%+1 crap to get nationalist votes has not worn off on me.

to me, the NDP sting of insulting Prime Minister Pierre Trudeau for doing the right thing during the October Crisis has not worn off on me

to me, the NDP stink of putting forwad a motion of no confidence against Paul Martin has not worn off on me.

to me, the NDP stink of campaigning against the Clarity Act then pushing their 50%+1 crap to get nationalist votes has not worn off on me.

to me, the NDP sting of insulting Prime Minister Pierre Trudeau for doing the right thing during the October Crisis has not worn off on me

Damn

If we're talking realpolitik, the NDP should have known that PR would be a non-starter in the committee. They swung for the fences and whiffed. Had they thrown their weight behind something like STV we would be having a different conversation. Rather than make them an offer that was difficult to refuse, they made one that was easy to reject.
Except in the committee's report, the Committee itself said that if we are going to do Electoral Reform, it has to be a form of Proportional Representation. Its what the Electoral reform community in Canada wants, its what experts all around the world (including within Canada) say is the ideal. Within the Electoral Reform Committee's report, they outlined three specific systems as what we should look at. STV, MMP and Rural-Urban Proportional.

Seems like an expensive exercise in making people feel good? If fringe parties can never matter than what are we really losing by not including them? I don't really want to pay for Jhonny Racists pension because he managed to pick up 3% of 45 ridings. I realize you can set limits to how much support someone has to get before they qualify, but again why?

As we see in countries around the world which utilize Proportional Systems, extremists tend to stop trying to take over electable mainstream parties when they have their own they can work towards.

Not to mention when it comes to proportional systems, even with systems more likely to elect extremists (MMP), nobody within the Electoral Reform Community is advocating for 100% Proportionality. We all take the idea that you follow what countries like Germany and New Zealand do with their MMP systems which is put in a minimum goal for Proportional Seats rather than what countries like Saudi Arabia do with having it be a free for all. AKA what the Canadian Electoral Reform community advocates for is if you can't get 5-10% of the vote you don't get Proportional Seats.

Alternatively you have STV where the vote is still proportional, but only up to the number of MPs in a riding meaning there is even less chance to elect extremists than the most restricted MMP system.

The extra benefit of Proportional Systems include that we don't have to have the current Big-Tent parties that we have. The Conservatives can split back into their root parties of Reform and Alliance and as a result you don't have Conservative MPs ignoring what their constituents want because it doesn't fit with the current "Conservative" banner of the day and you wouldn't be forcing say Progressive Conservatives to vote for a Conservative Party headed by a Social Conservative because they could just vote for the Progressive Conservative Party. Vice Versa with Social Conservatives. They would be able to do this without ruining their chances of being elected as government because they would be able to coalition if their percentage of the vote wins out.

I've harped on this before, but I'm also deeply uncomfortable with giving MP jobs to people who either didn't win one (and thus were rejected by the electorate they stood in front of), or didn't try to win one. That's just me, but I can't see any way these 'extra MPs' aren't just also-rans and party cronies..

Except these MPs are elected. Nobody is advocating for Closed List PR where the party chooses their candidates in the order the politicians want them. The only time it is thrown out there is when people try to make the argument that the ballot is too complicated. The Electoral Reform Community advocates for Opened List PR (in the case of MMP) where you select or rank the candidates on the Proportional Ballot in accordance with your choice.

This point is even more moot if you go with STV where you just have a single ballot that you rank all of your candidates on with the redistribution process being Proportional. Under this system there is no Party List and all the candidates are elected by the results of the vote.

CazTGG

Not the only one. Who gives a shit if he kayaks to a family, photobombs a prom, plays with his kid, etc, etc? These stories are nothing more than distractions to hide his incompetence, if you ask me.

Clearly, a lot of people do, just like how you seem to think it's important that we know about some Russian conspiracy from Reddit and also that his father is Pierre Trudeau being a mark against him despite the common opinion that Pierre is one of Canada's greatest people:
Holy shit, this is really eye-opening. I never heard of this before it was brought to my attention by a Redditor. Trudeau conspired against Quebec which is pretty much what propelled the sovereignty movement to its 1995 heights? This is so fucking outrageous I don't know what to do. The worst part is that we elected his son into office. Well, allegedly elected his son into office. If recent accusations are to be believed, the Russians conspired with the Liberals to kick the Conservatives out (guess Putin didn't like Harper's shit-talk in response to the Crimea annexation).

Jesus fuck this country is way more embroiled in corruption then I ever thought. WHAT THE FUCK?!

Not to derail the thread, but Trudeau invoking the War Measures Act had absolutely no impact on the investigation regarding the FLQ and only served as a gross abuse of human rights during the time and added a massive stain on Pierre's political career along with the then recent White Paper debacle.

Don't get me wrong, I like Pierre but there's a reason why it's still considered a controversial moment in his career.

Clearly, a lot of people do, just like how you seem to think it's important that we know about some Russian conspiracy on Reddit and also that his father is Pierre Trudeau being a mark against him despite the common opinion that Pierre is one of Canada's greatest people:

Not to derail the thread, but Trudeau invoking the War Measures Act had absolutely no impact on the investigation regarding the FLQ and only served as a gross abuse of human rights during the time and added a massive stain on Pierre's political career along with the then recent White Paper debacle.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DeTsQQ22Uwc
just watch me

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me

watching that orange wave fall to pieces was cathartic. It must hurt knowing that Quebec abandoned them in mass for literally anyone else.

He's not just sustaining it, he's aggressively growing it.

Thanks for the strawman.

Yep. Great canned photo opportunity just like the """""photobomb""""" but a PM kayaking to talk about how we should preserve the earth as he's simultaneously setting fire to it isn't a good look. People are spell-bound by a two-faced politician. But he's photogenic so great.

Oh yes, a politician implemented a new tax, how original.

Luckily, solar panels are cheap as chips and sun is abundant here in Canada, EVs are everywhere and cost next to nothing compared to their gasoline counterparts. Of course there are numerous government incentives in all provinces so that we can grid-tie our homes and take advantage of it all. Oh wait, it's just a tax and none of that revenue will go towards any of those things. The only thing that will happen is that EVERYTHING will get even more expensive. After this, surely Canada will surpass Australia as one of the most expensive places on earth to live.

Dont mean to sound like an asshole, but you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

Do you know what a carbon tax is and how it actually serves free market economics in a much more representative way? It's better to be informed when you're talking about these systematic mechanisms.

Watch these videos:

Prof. of Economics at the University of Queensland explains

Veritasium explains the concept perfectly

A carbon tax is not "just another tax"

It is a mechanism to literally place highly polluting industries on a level playing field; essentially the tax payer stops subsidizing these industries. Another reason why anyone who calls Trudeau a hypocrite on climate should be laughed at. A carbon tax will accelerate our way to a clean and sustainable economy, and eventually make things cheaper in the long run.

Yep. Great canned photo opportunity just like the """""photobomb""""" but a PM kayaking to talk about how we should preserve the earth as he's simultaneously setting fire to it isn't a good look. People are spell-bound by a two-faced politician. But he's photogenic so great.

Such a lazy argument.

The 5 year projection is extremely optimistic (and it was done by shell btw). All expert analysis point to oil demand peaking sometime in 2030s. That's even with clean energy variables being accelerated. Of course the hope is we get further acceleration in the clean tech area, to get the peak oil demand to occur earlier.

Regardless, that industry is not dying anytime soon and any pragmatic leader would and should leverage it. Of course there is a smart way to do that, and that's to incrementally reduce the impacts from the oil sector by implementing carbon reduction policies (along with billions in R&D investment in clean tech).

That's exactly what the Trudeau government is doing actually. These "all talk" and "hypocritical" posts are laughable. There's so many variables involved. All the info is available online on what the government plans to do short and long term, and these policies for the most part are backed up by data (an election promise btw).

Some people here need to do at least a bit of research on energy and environmental policy and what that technically entails before posting complete nonsense

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
Not going to say anything about his policies and whatnot, but his PR team is very on point. Trump wishes his administration has a PR team as good as Trudeau's.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
Living in Alberta makes what I see and hear in regards to our PM hilarious to me. The conservatives here bitch and moan that he hates Alberta and that he hates oil. The progressives outside of this province think he's an oil man who would do whatever Alberta wants him to do. He's a million times better in my opinion than Harper, so the only thing he has really soured me on is the half hearted election reform inquiry his government did.

Top Bottom