• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT2| Can't stop won't stop the fresh hop

riotous

Banned
Tried DKML last night; glad I only bought 2 botles (for like.. $6 total)... wasn't a fan. Poured 3/4's of it out.

I spent my teens drinking O.E., O.E. 800 Ice, etc.,etc... and it had that same underlying flavor. Reminisced for a moment then hated myself.

Robiin

I'm so sad you are all talking about US beers I can't get ahold of... There are some decent Norwegian ones though.

Anyone tried anything from Aja or Lervig? Aja's wheat beer might be the best one I've tasted to be honest. And there's a new one called Hazy Days, an APA from Lervig that is actually fantastic.

And I tasted a beer maybe a week ago, Rhubarb IPA it was called. It was a session IPA (like 4.7% maybe?), and it was fantastic on a hot day. I think that was Nøgne Ø brewery?

andylsun

I hadn't really tried belgium beers, except for Hoegaarden.

Now I just had my first tripel, liked it and had two more bottles. Holy shit it was so sweet and easily drinkable, but the 9% really came hard. It's only 7:30 and I'm buzzed. Fuck, I had purchased so many bottles of different stuff for tonight but now I feel like I'm falling asleep...

Ha, welcome to Belgium beers. I brew a blonde that tastes like 5% but is 9%. Couple of those and then try to get off the sofa. Not so good.

Tried DKML last night; glad I only bought 2 botles (for like.. $6 total)... wasn't a fan. Poured 3/4's of it out.

I spent my teens drinking O.E., O.E. 800 Ice, etc.,etc... and it had that same underlying flavor. Reminisced for a moment then hated myself.

Yeah I'm not sure I'd get it again, but it does start tasting better once you get to that bottom third of the bottle. ;)

I'm so sad you are all talking about US beers I can't get ahold of... There are some decent Norwegian ones though.

Norway has some fantastic beers, don't sell your country short! Unfortunately they aren't widely distributed here in the U.S. and they're quite expensive.

Robiin

Ha, welcome to Belgium beers. I brew a blonde that tastes like 5% but is 9%. Couple of those and then try to get off the sofa. Not so good.
Yeah, d3ceiving to be sure!
Norway has some fantastic beers, don't sell your country short! Unfortunately they aren't widely distributed here in the U.S. and they're quite expensive.
Yeah for sure. Don't worry they are expensive here too! I'm paying 60kr pr 33-50 cl bottle for good local stuff. Around $7 lol.

I liked DKML but glad I only bought a single bottle. Good barrel flavor and I thought it worked well.

Anyone try the Warpigs beers (Mikkeller / 3 Floyds collab brand)? Lazurite is a real solid IPA, just picked up a sixer of Foggy Geezer, which is their "hazy IPA" not super hazy but liking it quite a bit so far.

Went out for sushi and had a small hot sake bottle. Didn't feel much except relaxation during the meal. Two hours later, come home and break open a two year old bottle of Apple Brandy Barrel Noir. An hour and a half after that, break open a bottle of Old Stock Cellar Reserve 2013. Maybe I should have held off that Old Stock, because feeling VERY buzzed and loopy from all that.

But hey, was worth it. Was an extremely tasty night tonight.

Went out for sushi and had a small hot sake bottle. Didn't feel much except relaxation during the meal. Two hours later, come home and break open a two year old bottle of Apple Brandy Barrel Noir. An hour and a half after that, break open a bottle of Old Stock Cellar Reserve 2013. Maybe I should have held off that Old Stock, because feeling VERY buzzed and loopy from all that.

But hey, was worth it. Was an extremely tasty night tonight.

Oh man, those are 2 of my all time favorite beers. I've got both downstairs, maybe a good way to finish this season of GOT...

natjjohn

Super random ass question. So had some older bottles of beer that were just leaving in a pantry occasionally drinking. Recently got a new beverage fridge so moved them there storing them laying on their sides. I've noticed that when I pop a bottle open now, it immediately foams for a bit to where will overflow if you do nothing. After that initial foam, its fine.

What's causing this? The temp of the fridge? Laying them on the side? There just old as shit (were bought not long after Christmas. Cheap Costco deal!)?

Thanks!

Super random ass question. So had some older bottles of beer that were just leaving in a pantry occasionally drinking. Recently got a new beverage fridge so moved them there storing them laying on their sides. I've noticed that when I pop a bottle open now, it immediately foams for a bit to where will overflow if you do nothing. After that initial foam, its fine.

What's causing this? The temp of the fridge? Laying them on the side? There just old as shit (were bought not long after Christmas. Cheap Costco deal!)?

Thanks!

Sounds to me like poorly packaged beer with some type of infection that kept fermenting while the beer was stored warm. Safe to drink, but I'm assuming it doesn't taste the same.

ATF487

Went out to the new Treehouse Brewing location on Friday, got some Julius, Curiosity 40 and That's What She Said.

Enjoying a Julius now...I can't believe how drinkable they make these.

Coconut Cassowary is a disappointment right after Coconut Hornswoggler, but still good. It was fun to go to a Hardywood release again though and the weather was great.

Going to be driving up to Seattle at the end of September for a weekend in/near Queen Anne/Key Arena.

What are the must-hit beer locations I can easily get to?

I'll have my car, so driving is an option. How close are Fremont and Holy Mountain to the Key Arena area?

Holy Mountain is super close from Lower Queen Anne. Fremont isn't very far, but parking is hit or miss depending on when you want to go.

You should also hit Reubens, Urban Family, Cloudburst, Seapine (south of the stadiums) and Stoup.

The Masonry is a great pizza/beer bar in Lower Queen that you need to hit up.

riotous

Banned
I'll have my car, so driving is an option. How close are Fremont and Holy Mountain to the Key Arena area?

Pretty close; HM is maybe a 5 minute drive from lower Queen Anne (and has a gravel alley behind with loads of parking). Fremont is a bit farther but not by much, as DM said parking a bit more difficult.

Other than what DM mentioned, you'll be close to Teku Tavern which is a nice bottle shop with 40-50 taps.

riotous

Banned
Yeah it's my least favorite of the "40+ on tap" places around town (other than the national chains), but it's walking distance from the Key Arena hood and they do have good stuff on tap.

Yeah it's my least favorite of the "40+ on tap" places around town (other than the national chains), but it's walking distance from the Key Arena hood and they do have good stuff on tap.

Definitely. I just never feel like going there.

Also, if you have a car go to Chucks. The Greenwood location is probably better for you since it's closer to Fremont/Stoup/Reubens/etc.

Beer Junction is a great bottle shop over in West Seattle, but that area is currently devoid of good breweries so it's not really worth it unless you happen to be over that way already.

vHTlo1M.jpg

Good hops harvest from the other day.

Trevelyan

Banned
So anyone here near Boston willing to do me a huge favor? I'd be willing to pay you an extra $50. Please PM for details, or point me in the right direction. (This obviously pertains to acquiring a certain beer). Thanks!

codhand

So anyone here near Boston willing to do me a huge favor? I'd be willing to pay you an extra $50. Please PM for details, or point me in the right direction. (This obviously pertains to acquiring a certain beer). Thanks!

grabbed a sixer of Sam Adams Boston Lager for you, just paypal me when you have time.

Isn't Fat Jack available everywhere? That's like serious grocery store shelf beer, but probably not out yet. Pumpkin beers are hitting shelves right now and will keep coming out for the next couple months.

I figured you were looking for Treehouse cans or something.

Trevelyan

Banned
Isn't Fat Jack available everywhere? That's like serious grocery store shelf beer, but probably not out yet. Pumpkin beers are hitting shelves right now and will keep coming out for the next couple months.

Nope. Fat Jack is only sold in their brewery now. I've found a lot of the small breweries like Treehouse are pretty much 90% IPA... and it's gotten to the point where they're all starting to taste the same to me, hah.

Nope. Fat Jack is only sold in their brewery now. I've found a lot of the small breweries like Treehouse are pretty much 90% IPA... and it's gotten to the point where they're all starting to taste the same to me, hah.

It's definitely on the shelf at the Bag 'n' Save by my house in Omaha.

Edit: Looking at their web site, I guess you're right. Maybe we have last year's still? Knowing that location, it's definitely possible, but must have been in the back because they just put it on the shelves.

Trevelyan

Banned
It's definitely on the shelf at the Bag 'n' Save by my house in Omaha.

Edit: Looking at their web site, I guess you're right. Maybe we have last year's still? Knowing that location, it's definitely possible, but must have been in the back because they just put it on the shelves.

Yup, should be last years. I know for a fact this years is only at their brewery.

Jarnet87

We use to get bottles of Fat Jack here in Florida, probably my favorite pumpkin beer. All of my favorite beers from them are under not currently brewed lol. Fat Jack. Imperial White, Double Bock,Scotch Ale.

Cascade at Costco now? They're really having a hard time selling their beer, they ship that stuff everywhere now (South Korea, all over Europe, etc.). Maybe they should lower their stupid prices and maybe it would sell better.

Pumpkin Smash has not aged well. Just a heads up.

riotous

Banned
Yeah they are kind of ridiculous; but they just stick to it so it must work for them.

I do really enjoy a lot of their beers, but they are usually a rip-off even on tap. Often $10-15 for a small pour.

Not in KY. Damn shame. Favorite pumpkin beer outside Weyerbacher Imperial Pumpkin.

And Dogfish Punkin showed up in town today. Apparently it is tightly allocated this year for some reason.

So I'm headed to Paris and Barcelona for a few days each with maybe a partial day in London. Any suggestions for places to grab a good beer or try a few? I'm already looking at hitting up La Cave à Bulles in Paris and grabbing a few bottles. I'm not planning on doing a super beer-centric trip, but wouldn't mind stopping at a place that does a decent job with the local beer, especially with London, since I won't have a ton of time, I'd love to stop at a place that does a good job with "Real Ale."

So I'm headed to Paris and Barcelona for a few days each with maybe a partial day in London. Any suggestions for places to grab a good beer or try a few? I'm already looking at hitting up La Cave à Bulles in Paris and grabbing a few bottles. I'm not planning on doing a super beer-centric trip, but wouldn't mind stopping at a place that does a decent job with the local beer, especially with London, since I won't have a ton of time, I'd love to stop at a place that does a good job with "Real Ale."

Barcelona is an amazing city. BierCab is great, Garage Beer Co. is just down the street and they have a nice space with great beer. We stayed in the Gracia neighborhood which was wonderful. There's a plaza nearby called Placa Del Sol that has a bottle shop right there where you can just drink whatever. Hit up another bottle shop bar called The Beer Shop, too. Had some great meals at La Ilavor da Origens and La Pepita.

Spain is making some amazing craft beer. Naparbier, La Pirata and Monsieur Gordo made great stuff among others.

As for London, drink all the Cloudwater you can find. I had a few of their DIPAs last month in Haarlem, Netherlands and thought they were great.

Spuck-uk

Banned
Barcelona is an amazing city. BierCab is great, Garage Beer Co. is just down the street and they have a nice space with great beer. We stayed in the Gracia neighborhood which was wonderful. There's a plaza nearby called Placa Del Sol that has a bottle shop right there where you can just drink whatever. Hit up another bottle shop bar called The Beer Shop, too. Had some great meals at La Ilavor da Origens and La Pepita.

Spain is making some amazing craft beer. Naparbier, La Pirata and Monsieur Gordo made great stuff among others.

As for London, drink all the Cloudwater you can find. I had a few of their DIPAs last month in Haarlem, Netherlands and thought they were great.

Cloudwater costs a fortune in London though. Worth it, but also check out Kernel, Northern Monk, Siren, and especially Verdant if you like NE IPAs.

Biercab in Barcelona is great, and in the same area (Example), theres a really nice little Mikeller bar and Brewdog. I really liked BlackLab which is a fusion restaurant that makes really good beer as well.

If you like lager, Moritz might not be the best brewery in the world, but their taproom is gorgeous and does good food as well, the specials are much better than their regular beers.

I know we're getting into the season of pumpkin beers, but I feel like I'm one of the few who either doesn't care for them or can outright hate them. I remember having Pumking and it ruined my taste buds for the entire night. Awful shit.

Best pumpkin beer I've had was Crown Valley Imperial Pumpkin Smash. Used to get it in Chicago but they stopped distributing here. Seriously well done beer, I think stouts are better at balancing the pumpkin flavor.

Crown-Valley-Imperial-Pumpkin-Smash.jpg

Top Bottom