• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ben Affleck's Batman Future in Doubt as Warner Bros. Plots Franchise

Penguin

I'm happy for all parties involved. Ben clearly has had troubles since his divorce (not the first project he's left this week) and it gives Warner a chance to cast someone they can probably use for the next decade or so.

DigtialT

Just do some flashpoint bullshit and reboot the DC cinematic universe and do all the recasting needed. Preferably to after WW1, that way Wonder Woman is still canon.

Anth0ny

was clear ben wasn't into it since the beginning. divorce hit him hard.

luckily they have flash and can tie a recast into the actual plot of a film. lol.

might as well recast joker, too.

margot stays, though.

jelly

He was pretty damn aggressive in Baby Driver

That's cool, haven't seen it.

I think Affleck obviously isn't in the right mind but is being as professional as possible plus his son loves that he is Batman so hard to fault him but perhaps stepping back completely and sorting himself out is the way to go but only he will know that and even that might not be enough, WB maybe need to do it for him. Who knows really.

JimiNutz

Banned
I think he's a great Batman based on the little that we've seen of him and I'd like for him to be given a decent film to work with but my only concern is his age.

If they move forward with him as Batman in this universe then they need to really extend the Bat-Family on film (Nightwing, Red Hood, Batgirl etc.) so they they can easily replace him when he gets too old.

If Reeves makes a trilogy, Affleck would be in his mid-50s at best by the time that’s done

so what. you can maintain good shape in your 50s as evidenced by the many many other film stars of that age. if not then there is cgi which is already being used on every frame in the movie to make things look good.

obv Affleck won't play Batman forever but there have already been 5 cinematic Batmans since the 1989 flick i dont think one new one is going to cause the world to end.

and hey, another chance to tell that great origin story they love diggin out for every movie anyways.

Apt101

He was their messiah, now Gal is.

I'd love to get a sneak peak into those meetings.

They should Flashpoint the DCEU with only Gal's Wonder Woman moving forward. Replace everyone else and reintroduce their characters. The real Batman and Superman (including their supporting cast - so we can even junk that stupid Joker and get a real Jimmy Olsen) - not this bizarro Snyder version of B&S.

Damn. I hope Ben at least gets one movie with Matt Reeves. Liked his Bruce

Jon Hamm is my dream replacement if they're sticking with Wayne. But maybe he's too old too. And possibly not interested.

This makes the dick grayson casting even more important. If it ends up being a useless bum like Zac Efron that would hurt so much

Pau

Having DickBats without seeing Dick as Robin or even Nightwing first feels off for me. I want to see that growth and the father son relationship on screen. That's the whole point. :(

Dysun

They should Flashpoint the DCEU with only Gal's Wonder Woman moving forward. Replace everyone else and reintroduce their characters. The real Batman and Superman (including their supporting cast - so we can even junk that stupid Joker and get a real Jimmy Olsen) - not this bizarro Snyder version of B&S.

Superman, Lois, Harley, Deadshot, and Waller are salvageable. Aquaman might be good, too early to throw everything out over Ben Afflecks personal life. Kill off Bruce Wayne in a fight with Darkseid and change the tone moving forward.

Chris Mckay is making a Nightwing film though.

Which will probably come out *very* shortly before or even AFTER The Batman if it comes to fruition. Which this article suggests Ben would have been replaced by.

Warner has already made it clear they want Bruce Wayne to be the Tony Stark of the DCEU, they're not gonna ditch the character.

J_Viper

Yeah they're not gonna spend 250 million dollars on Flashpoint to explain a recast of one character, especially when they have like twelve actual films in development

Which will probably come out *very* shortly before or even AFTER The Batman if it comes to fruition. Which this article suggests Ben would have been replaced by.

Warner has already made it clear they want Bruce Wayne to be the Tony Stark of the DCEU, they're not gonna ditch the character.

Matt Reeves has said that Ben is his Batman though.

Jombie

It's kind of a bummer that Affleck seemed to take the role to finally purge the lingering Daredevil image, and it ended up being the biggest misstep in his career in the last several years.

It's kind of a bummer that Affleck seemed to take the role to finally purge the lingering Daredevil image, and it ended up being the biggest misstep in his career in the last several years.

Even limited to 2016, Live by Night was way worse for him. Going from a successful Oscar winning film to a critical and commercial failure; one he wrote, directed, and starred in. That's what got him to step away from directing Batman.

Poona

He should continue as Bruce Wayne but it's fine for him to open the door for other members of the bat family.

Corpsepyre

Banned
They need to kill Bruce off in a Final Crisis film, the way it happened in the comic, and have him time travel. Nightwing becomes Bat in the meantime. Have Bruce return, with a new face, and all is set.

I wouldn't mind Snyder to direct Crisis, btw.

If Affleck/Bruce goes away and Dick will take the cowl, first I want a Nightwing Film to introduce him properly. Since both Nightwing and Batman movies are pretty much in the same place (both unwritten and years away) they could release it first and then add Dick to "The Batman" and in the end he assumes the mantle. But who knows? The DCEU is all sorts of messed up.

Van Bur3n

This whole DC cinematic universe is a mess. Has been from the start. Someone just give me Wonder Woman movies for the rest of my days and I'll be good to go.

I think this would be an excellent move, Affleck is too polarizing and they need to cast a younger and better actor to play Batman. Didn't enjoy Affleck in Batman v Superman.

Top Bottom