• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ben Affleck's Batman Future in Doubt as Warner Bros. Plots Franchise

J_Viper

Was wondering this as well. But 52 is old to jump into a 6 film contract or whatever they want him to sign for

That's true, but Pitt can pass for ten years younger. Dude looked great in Allied.

I think this would be an excellent move, Affleck is too polarizing and they need to cast a younger and better actor to play Batman. Didn't enjoy Affleck in Batman v Superman.
Polarizing?

Most people enjoyed his Batman. I'd bet money I don't have on that.

plainr_

Never had a problem with Affleck as Batman but it's clear that he has too much things going on with his life right now. It'll suck if he has to drop out but it's understandable.

Don't really need an in universe reason to recast Bruce. Just do it if you gotta do it.

Yep. We don't need to be so quick to pass the torch as well. Bruce Wayne is here to stay for a while.

Just make Reeves' movies prequels, cast a younger Bruce, and eventually introduce that Bruce into the DCEU.

Actually, this isn't a bad idea.

Steve Weintraub at Collider eluded to Ben leaving months ago. He was talking about it today and kept bringing up the question about what time period Reeves' movies would even take place almost as if he was trying to say something without actually saying it.

Food for thought for people who think Affleck is too old.

He was the same age in BvS that RDJ was in Iron Man 1 (43).

I mean I know RDJ gets to wear armor but he still had to stay in good shape, plus the Batman costume is slowly becoming the Iron Man suit anyway.

Seesaw15

Food for thought for people who think Affleck is too old.

He was the same age in BvS that RDJ was in Iron Man 1 (43).

I mean I know RDJ gets to wear armor but he still had to stay in good shape, plus the Batman costume is slowly becoming the Iron Man suit anyway.

To be fair besides Thor and Cap physicality isn't really that prominent in the MCU. You mostly have a bunch of guys with average builds in suits. Where as the DCEU everyone besides the flash seems to be this hulking physical specimen due to the synder atheistic.

If the DCEU goes on as long as MCU it would be weird if Batman got progressively older and out of shape each movie like RDJ did.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Feels like a told-you-so that they shouldnt rush into their epic superhero team up movie before setting up the foundation films.

Barely five movies into the universe

On the one hand, I get what you're trying to say here.

But on the other hand how fucking bizarre is it that a film series that has four sequels to it can be described as "barely into it"

Like, I understand what you're saying, but every now and again there are little moments of clarity that shine a spotlight on exactly how much the blockbuster machine is basically just cranking out prestige TV miniseries, more or less.

Who could have possibly anticipated that grizzled DKR Bats wouldn't be a good genesis point for a long running franchise.

Who I ask you? Who?

Who could have possibly anticipated one of the more solid and stable talents in Hollywood having his personal life turn into a literal dumpster fire in the years to follow.

This whole thing isn't about Warner Bros not knowing what to do with it, creative differences with Affleck, or his age. It's about the implosion of his personal life and subsequent relapse with alcohol.

Just bring back Val Kilmer and the DCU is saved.

I'd post a pic of what Kilmer looks like right now but it would be in bad taste.

Who could have possibly anticipated one of the more solid and stable talents in Hollywood having his personal life turn into a literal dumpster fire in the years to follow.

This whole thing isn't about Warner Bros not knowing what to do with it, creative differences with Affleck, or his age. It's about the implosion of his personal life and subsequent relapse with alcohol.

Nah. The personal stuff is bad, obviously. It would sink any actor.

But really, having our first introduction to this universe's version of Bats ALREADY be the tired, grizzled old veteran rather then ending with him as that was fundamentally flawed. It literally destroyed any chance he had of meaningful character growth.

They shouldn't have gone the old grizzled Dark Knight Returns inspired Batman, and I like Affleck. That works as an elseworlds tale, not the status quo.

Affleck could make for a good Batman, but unfortunately he's a bit too old for what the role will retire for future outings.

We need a mid career Bruce Wayne, not an end of career.

janoDX

- Make a Flash movie based on Flashpoint
- Bring back Bale even if we hate him, because of stability
- If Bale doesn't want to come back, throw him money until he accepts
- If it doesn't work, do a Dickbat movie, but reveal he's Dick at the end of it

What a hot mess. You have two mediocre Superman movies that are a really poor representation of the character, including burning two of DC's biggest stories to pull from (The Dark Knight Returns and The Death of Superman), but then make Wonder Woman which is fantastic. And now you're already considering replacing Affleck as Batman in the universe?

Whoever is running the DCEU either needs to step down, fire Zach Snyder and hope to salvage their franchise, or just start over (or all three). The lack of foresight despite having the Marvel blueprint is incredibly frustrating.

It sucks because I love WW but if the rest of the DCEU is going to suffer it's not worth it.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Why are people asking for a younger actor?
Older Bateman is so much more interesting. I felt like afflek was even a bit young for the weathered & grizzled bat father figure in BvS, he's only going to play the role Better as he gets a few more years on him. A good script would give the character some fresh depth

On the one hand, I get what you're trying to say here.

But on the other hand how fucking bizarre is it that a film series that has four sequels to it can be described as "barely into it"

Like, I understand what you're saying, but every now and again there are little moments of clarity that shine a spotlight on exactly how much the blockbuster machine is basically just cranking out prestige TV miniseries, more or less.

To put it in perspective, we're not even at the big team up and things are falling apart.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't understand the DickBat desire. Don't get me wrong, I love when Dick takes the mantle, but we haven't even been introduced to Dick and people want him to take over after one movie? One of the biggest problems with the DCEU is being rushed - Dickbats after two batman movies (one standalone) seems like a continuation of the problem.

If there is a hard reboot, which of the films will probably be spared the axe? I enjoyed Wonder Woman, but would a hard reboot mean scuttling that film from memory?

CryptiK

Afflecks look of Batman is unmatched. Why the fuck would they want to get rid of him. Just get some competent writers and directors ffs.

- Make a Flash movie based on Flashpoint
- Bring back Bale even if we hate him, because of stability
- If Bale doesn't want to come back, throw him money until he accepts
- If it doesn't work, do a Dickbat movie, but reveal he's Dick at the end of it

Fuck no Baleman would be instantly wrecked by anything with superpowers he also looked like garbage. Also no Bruce Wayne no Batman.

Alienous

Maybe it's just me, but I don't understand the DickBat desire. Don't get me wrong, I love when Dick takes the mantle, but we haven't even been introduced to Dick and people want him to take over after one movie? One of the biggest problems with the DCEU is being rushed - Dickbats after two batman movies (one standalone) seems like a continuation of the problem.

People have seen a lot of Bruce Wayne, over many movies, at all points in his career. And WB decided to make Batman 'end of career' age for BvS, already 'rushing' that character.

I feel like Bruce Wayne as Batman is sort of at a dead end in the DCEU, especially if Ben Affleck is unfortunately out. At that point I'd say it could be worth exploring the Batman stories that are told in the wake of Bruce Wayne's death. Battle for the Cowl and DickBats basically.

It would shorten the DCEU's lifespan but it could be a bold move that sets this Batman apart from other depictions. People like Bruce Wayne but they've never been exposed to another Batman, and this could be a chance to do it. I'd find that more exciting that more Bruce Wayne, whose DCEU characterization already seems like it's nearing the end of the road.

Afflecks look of Batman is unmatched. Why the fuck would they want to get rid of him. Just get some competent writers and directors ffs.

I think in an ideal world he gets a solo movie, justice league 2 then he retires in favour of Dickbat. He's good but the character feels like he probably shouldn't stick around for eternity as old bat.

If there is a hard reboot, which of the films will probably be spared the axe? I enjoyed Wonder Woman, but would a hard reboot mean scuttling that film from memory?

They won't hard reboot. They'll either replace him and say nothing - a la Batman Forever to Batman & Robin - or replace him in-universe.

Just make him stop drinking and work with a trainer for six months and it's all good. And DickBat never. Not in the movies. Bruce Wayne is Batman to the general population.

vio

Ideally I would like a Batman trilogy. If not then 2 movies. Second movie where he ends up retiring and someone else taking over.

jdstorm

Banned
Seriously wish WBs would just wise up and get Matt Bomer on the phone. He has already pulled off the role of Batman via his work on White Collar. He's got the right physicality and is a young looking 39 which sets him up perfectly as an expierienced mid to late career Batman.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Rumors of Ben wanting out since the beginning of this year. His personal life is a complete dumpster fire and he likely wants out of the spotlight completely.
Really? What's going on there? Never even saw tabloid shit about it

CryptiK

I think in an ideal world he gets a solo movie, justice league 2 then he retires in favour of Dickbat. He's good but the character feels like he probably shouldn't stick around for eternity as old bat.
Dick Bat would be awful. Might as well just retire the Bruce Wayne side and get someone that looks like Affleck in the suit and voice mod it. They honestly should just reset the universe at the end of JL2 have Flash go back and try and reset it all. Kick off Affleck and Cavill for younger actors keep WW, Flash and Cyborg the same and explain it away with some timey wimey BS where everyone ends up meeting and creating the Justice League earlier in life and start from there. But maintain the BvS Batman look for the love of god please, even the JL costume its starting to look like a dumpster fire with the new cowl and armour bits.

Alcoholism

shira

separation --> divorce, drinking, gambling, sleeping around

he got that huge phoenix tatt as a life restart?
1280t_FFN_VAHFF2_AffleckTattoo_EXC_120815_51926084.jpg

Seems better after finishing rehab

C4Lukins

I hope he is out.

He is a decent director, and a terrible actor. I would take West, Keaton, Kilmer, Clooney, and Bale over him any day of the week.

Outside of a couple of films where his certain brand of acting works as a third tier character, he is awfull. The sooner we get a new Batman the better.

Polarburr

Wait. People really think Matt Reeves is gonna direct and write Batman without Bruce Wayne??

He's said multiple times how he sees Batman the same as Caesar. No way is Dick becoming Batman. At most, this'll be a recast.

I am sorry, but Ben Affleck brings the physicality to Batman like no other actor. I liked Bale's take on Bruce Wayne/Batman, but he still looked incredibly weak against Bane and Ras. Ben is also a terrific actor, please stay in the DCEU until they make the definitive Batman movie featuring you as the Batman, Ben! Please for the love of god! For the love of your own son who wants to see you dawn the cape!

Prequel Batman movies.
or
Just use Flash to soft reboot stuff that didn't or won't work(Superman's attitude and personality, Lex, Joker, Affleck, potentially Cyborg)
while keeping what does(Wonder Woman and Harley, potentially Aquaman, Mera and Flash)

Alienous

Dick Bat would be awful. Might as well just retire the Bruce Wayne side and get someone that looks like Affleck in the suit and voice mod it. They honestly should just reset the universe at the end of JL2 have Flash go back and try and reset it all. Kick off Affleck and Cavill for younger actors keep WW, Flash and Cyborg the same and explain it away with some timey wimey BS where everyone ends up meeting and creating the Justice League earlier in life and start from there. But maintain the BvS Batman look for the love of god please, even the JL costume its starting to look like a dumpster fire with the new cowl and armour bits.

You know, that isn't a terrible idea.

Have the Justice League get wrecked by Darkseid and Flash can go back in time. Meet a younger, less disillusioned, non-murdery Bruce Wayne (a younger actor) - maybe just after the death of Robin - and have the Flash coach him into being a better person. "There's an alien from another world coming - he'll define the future - help him be a good person" or something.

Then you can pick up the next Justice League after that timeline's Man of Steel. Gal Gadot still being Wonder Woman, due to her being immortal and all. But with them being proactive, with an alive Superman and a heroic Batman taking the fight to Darkseid with prep-time. And you might also get to have a Joker who doesn't have his teeth bashed in. All the good films could be set in this new continuity.

Damn, now I want this to happen. It would be the most comic book thing ever put to the big screen.

All they have to do is kill Batman and go directly into Battle For the Cowl they can collect Red Hood and Nightwing money in the same movie.

Top Bottom