• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ben Affleck's Batman Future in Doubt as Warner Bros. Plots Franchise

Hagi

Hammer had pretty great chemistry with Cavill in The Man from UNCLE so I'd actually be pretty cool with him taking the role.

Clooney was worse than Kilmer

I like to think that Clooney would have worked in a better film but Kilmer would have been bad regardless.

Busty

Banned
Is it too late to rewrite JL? I mean, Superman is already dead (lol), so just kill Batman too and you have only Wonder Woman left to carry the thing +3 still untainted sidekicks to work off her.

That's all you need.

Six months ago this would have been unthinkable but now it feels like a solid Plan B, to give the movie going public what they want which is all the Wonder Woman they can handle.

Crazy times.

Some kind of flashpoint maybe? They could just Bond him and or have him show up like Cheadle did in Iron Man 2.

Also, I'd put money on Joe Mango over Hammer any day of the week. Joe did both Magic Mike films while Hammer did UNCLE and not a lot else.

If age is starting to become an issue for Ben, along with his personal issues, why would they want to saddle up with someone who will be 41 this December? You're looking at someone in their mid-40s before doing another film.

*insert pic of Henry Cavill*

You're talking about someone who was up for Superman before and someone who likely would have been cast as James Bond instead of Craig if he was older at the time of auditions.

Sephzilla

I like to think that Clooney would have worked in a better film but Kilmer would have been bad regardless.

I do agree that Clooney would have worked as a better Batman in an actually good movie. But the fact is that Clooney really phoned in his one role as Batman. Kilmer at least tried.

Hagi

and yet Cavill was cast as Superman.

he's not a bad actor though? he's certainly better than Amell lol

they have the perfect opportunity to warm up his version of Superman after "killing" him I hope they don't waste it.

Busty

Banned
If age is starting to become an issue for Ben, along with his personal issues, why would they want to saddle up with someone who will be 41 this December? You're looking at someone in their mid-40s before doing another film.

The youngest they'd go for Bruce Wayne would be 35. Any younger and he'd just look totally out of place.

jackdoe

they have the perfect opportunity to warm up his version of Superman after "killing" him I hope they don't waste it.
Well, he's probably gonna get married to Lois. All they need to do is give him a son and you're good to go.

J_Viper

I can't find a Nocturnal Animals clip with Armie in it, but he was 300% Wayne in that film

Actually, with Armie as Bats there'd be top notch banter with him in Cavill like there was in UNCLE

How much money would they need to give Goose to say yes to a comic book movie?

I feel like Warner Bros are probably more likely to recast the role and have Bruce Wayne continue to be Batman, rather than have Dick Grayson pick up the mantle and helm the Reeves Batman trilogy himself.

Aside from the general mass association of the name "Bruce Wayne" with Batman, there's still the whole Nightwing solo film to keep in mind. I'm pretty sure WB want The Batman to come out before the Nightwing film, so unless that gets axed, I doubt they'll have Dick star in both films as both Batman and Nightwing.

Personally though, I'd actually jump at the chance of seeing a live-action Batman movie with DickBat as the star, as I think he's probably the best Batman we ever had in the comics and it'd be a cool way to change things up from the previous Batman films that came before. It'd be tricky to sell the transition to audiences, especially on short notice, but I think it could probably be done via some top-tier montage that opens up the film.

SuperOrez

They could always retcon Ben Afflek to have always been an older Jason Todd who took over the Batman Mantel. It would explain why BvS was so extreme. Meanwhile the real Bruce Wayne was sent back in time/stasis/space/cthulu diminsion. Poof now we get a new younger actor.

If this is true in any way than I promise you WB has already got someone else in mind. My guess would be Armie Hammer if the rumors of WB really wanting to get him into the DCEU in a big way are true at all.

The youngest they'd go for Bruce Wayne would be 35. Any younger and he'd just look totally out of place.

He wouldn't be Wayne in my scenario. He'd be Grayson having the cowl past to him. It leaves the door open for Affleck if he ever wanted to return in some sort of capacity down the road.

Sephzilla

LOL no don't this man can't act, I don't want him in my Batman films plus WB would not cast a T.V actor for the biggest character they have.

eokhRQo.jpg

brandon-routh-superman-returns.jpg

header-man-of-steels-henry-cavill-on-batman-vs-superman.jpg

Darkseid invades -> Superman comes back -> Lois dies -> Superman kills Darkseid and usurps Apokolips -> Superman briefly goes Injustice and creates the regime -> Knightmare scene from Batman v Superman -> Barry, Diana, and Arthur try to fix the timeline -> Barry fucks things up -> We get a different Batman, Pa Kent raised Clark right and this timeline's Diana died to Ares. (Bonus points, Leto's Joker gets retconned out of existence)
/s

Joking aside, they don't even need to address it in-universe. They have a million different directions they could go to hand-wave this problem away.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Y'all really think WB is going to bet on Armie Hammer again? The two times they put him in leading roles, the movies cratered. Batman sells no matter what, but I don't know why they'd go with him...they were looking at him ages ago, but that was before Lone Ranger and Man from Uncle.

Kill him off and replace with a Robin as batman.
Just recast him with another actor and act like nothing happened (doubt it)
Fucking time travel fuckery thanks to the Flash.

I would have liked him to stay the Batman for at least a few more movies (if this is true and stays true).

Actually thinking more on it... What if WB make their cake and eat it too?

Have Batfleck pass the mantle down to Dick Grayson for the Reeves Batman trilogy and then introduce Tim Drake as the new Nightwing. It'd be a divergence from the comics, but honestly I think a "Tim as Nightwing" film is more likely to sell than a "Red Robin" film would.

Busty

Banned
Given that Warners announced two more slots of DCU films in 2020 this week and SDCC is right around the corner maybe this is the studio's way of getting Affleck out of the picture or getting him to commit to the DCU for a new multi film deal?

The timing of this is a little too convenient for me and I know how studios and agencies love to negotiate in the press.

Stranger things have happened at sea.

He wouldn't be Wayne in my scenario. He'd be Grayson having the cowl past to him. It leaves the door open for Affleck if he ever wanted to return in some sort of capacity down the road.

Maybe. Though I'm not sure where they leaves a Nightwing film in relation to The Batman.

RedAssedApe

Banned

I would have liked him to stay the Batman for at least a few more movies (if this is true and stays true).

Flash brings JGL from Nolan universe lol

Shaanyboi

Banned
Nightwing movie first

Batman solo has him either getting killed or disappearing by the end, and Dick has to take up the mantle.

Ashhong

Y'all really think WB is going to bet on Armie Hammer again? The two times they put him in leading roles, the movies cratered. Batman sells no matter what, but I don't know why they'd go with him...they were looking at him ages ago, but that was before Lone Ranger and Man from Uncle.

Not really fair, those movies would have cratered with or without him.

jelly

Well, yeah probably but I dislike both.

I've only liked Cavill in that Netflix war film mainly because he hardly says anything, looks badass and wasn't half bad doing the odd disinterested facial expression and one liner. Him dying in BvS was alright as well.

yuraya

Robin is already dead tho. Kill Robin, Kill off Batman.

How many good guys left? How many stayed that way?

Hagi

Well, he's probably gonna get married to Lois. All they need to do is give him a son and you're good to go.

Oh man bring in Jon and emulate the best Superman that has been in the comics for years.

I've only liked Cavill in that Netflix war film mainly because he hardly says anything, looks badass and wasn't half bad doing the odd disinterested facial expression and one liner. Him dying in BvS was alright as well.

He's really good in Man from UNCLE, looking forward to seeing him play a moustache twirling villain in Mission Impossible.

In a world where Chris Evans, Chris Hemsworth, Ryan Reynolds, Henry Cavill, Tom Holland, etc. are able to lead their comic book movies, I'd say the actor's popularity matters very little for these franchises.

Ashhong

Have you seen Man from UNCLE?

They could always retcon Ben Afflek to have always been an older Jason Todd who took over the Batman Mantel. It would explain why BvS was so extreme. Meanwhile the real Bruce Wayne was sent back in time/stasis/space/cthulu diminsion. Poof now we get a new younger actor.

Oh dang! I actually like this idea.

a916

WB is loyal to a fault... that won't stop them from casting him because Armie Hammer is capable and he's not going to be hte reason a Batman movie craters.

While I sorta liked the casting, I never understood why they'd go with an older Bruce to jumpstart the Justice League. It doesn't make much sense. You cripple yourself with an older actor who can't play the role that long and, narratively, Bruce being middle aged, experienced Batman when he first meets Superman and co. seems...odd.

Idk.

Rvaan

Banned
Batman movie might lose Batman. Flash has no script and no director. Cyborg is a tin can the keeps getting kicked down the road. What is going on at WB?

J_Viper

Given that Warners announced two more slots of DCU films in 2020 this week and SDCC is right around the corner maybe this is the studio's way of getting Affleck out of the picture or getting him to commit to the DCU for a new multi film deal?

The timing of this is a little too convenient for me and I know how studios and agencies love to negotiate in the press.

This would be so fucking mean on WBs part lol

This suggestion will probably get a very mixed reaction, especially since he's currently playing a different DC superhero, but I could absolutely see Stephen Amell playing Batman

stephen-amell.jpg

His version of Oliver Queen is already pretty much Batman-light, and I personally think Amell is a better actor than he gets credit for. Plus, he pretty much looks exactly like what I think Bruce Wayne would look like
He should be Terry McGinnis.

Ashhong

While I sorta liked the casting, I never understood why they'd go with an older Bruce to jumpstart the Justice League. It doesn't make much sense. You cripple yourself with an older actor who can't play the role that long and, narratively, Bruce being middle aged, experienced Batman when he first meets Superman and co. seems...odd.

Idk.

From a story point it doesn't seem odd at all. In what way? An experienced crime fighter who has seem some shit, now sees mother fucking ALIENS and has to rethink everything. It could have been great.

Reeves just came off two successful Apes films with no star power. I think they'll be fine if they hand him Hammer.

Top Bottom