• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ben Affleck's Batman Future in Doubt as Warner Bros. Plots Franchise

This reboot mean they're going to pave over Man of Steel and Batman V Superman? How would they actually do this, since they're keeping Gal Gadot?

From a story point it doesn't seem odd at all. In what way? An experienced crime fighter who has seem some shit, now sees mother fucking ALIENS and has to rethink everything. It could have been great.

I don't want a completely new to the job Batman, but he doesn't need to have been Batman for 20+ years either. A Bruce in his early/mid 30's would've been fine while covering the same plot points. Even before he's officially Batman, he's training and preparing for the role extensively. He's got experience from that too.

emrober5

They should just recast and be done with it. Affleck didn't do some sort of legendary performance that will never be touched again.

I wouldn't say it was legendary but many people (myself included) think he is the best Batman/Bruce yet.

No small feat considering the actors that have played the character before him (and the many, many movies).

Hagi

They could always retcon Ben Afflek to have always been an older Jason Todd who took over the Batman Mantel. It would explain why BvS was so extreme. Meanwhile the real Bruce Wayne was sent back in time/stasis/space/cthulu diminsion. Poof now we get a new younger actor.

It's hard to say whether this is worse than the whole Jason Todd is the Joker thing that's been floating around for ages but man it's equally as bad. Just recast and move on.

Sephzilla

You act like supes is WB/DC most important character when I'm clearly talking about the prized box office jewel that is Batman.

Superman is their second most important character and possibly the oldest and one of the most popular superhero ever, yet WB isn't afraid of potentially risky casting there.

Also, Michael Keaton only had a handful of movies under his belt (only two that were really noteworthy at all) and was mostly a minor TV actor before becoming Batman

giphy.gif

Guess who was still TV star when he got the role of Batman

George-Clooney.jpg

Ashhong

From all we've read, this isn't something spear headed by WB... he wants to leave, and it sounds like WB is helping that process.

Where does it say that this is spear headed by Ben? You're just combining previous, month old reports with this new news. Even the old news about Ben wanting out was sketch

jelly

Oh man bring in Jon and emulate the best Superman that has been in the comics for years.

He's really good in Man from UNCLE, looking forward to seeing him play a moustache twirling villain in Mission Impossible.

Have you seen Man from UNCLE?

Yeah, didn't like him in that either. I get that people warm to his performance because it's quite fun but to me it was seeing the acting wheels in motion, fake and an overly done caricature.

Ashhong

I don't want a completely new to the job Batman, but he doesn't need to have been Batman for 20+ years either. A Bruce in his early/mid 30's would've been fine while covering the same plot points. Even before he's officially Batman, he's training and preparing for the role extensively. He's got experience from that too.

What is the difference other than a number? Story wise your idea is the same as what I stated.

You said "narratively, Bruce being middle aged, experienced Batman when he first meets Superman and co. seems...odd."

But that's pretty much the same thing you just said. An experienced Batman first meeting Superman. Unless they work arthritis into the story, I don't see the issue.

What is the difference other than a number? Story wise your idea is the same as what I stated.

You said "narratively, Bruce being middle aged, experienced Batman when he first meets Superman and co. seems...odd."

But that's pretty much the same thing you just said. An experienced Batman first meeting Superman. Unless they work arthritis into the story, I don't see the issue.

Early to mid 30's isn't middle-aged lol

Bruce can have been Batman for 2 years and still have his world flipped upside down by seeing aliens for the first time. He doesn't need to be some grizzled old man damn near for that to work.

FFS Warner Bros. Until the Wonder Woman movie, Batfleck WAS arguably the DCU's best element. Unless he phoned it in for Justice League, he'd be a perfect Bat/Bruce with the right writers.

Ashhong

Early to mid 30's isn't middle-aged lol

Did you even read my post?

What does his age matter if it isn't even a part of the narrative? He's not walking around on a cane. They could have made him 35-40 years old for BvS and not one scene would have had to change

Boke1879

FFS Warner Bros. Until the Wonder Woman movie, Batfleck WAS arguably the DCU's best element. Unless he phoned it in for Justice League, he'd be a perfect Bat/Bruce with the right writers.

Again. This is mostly on Ben too. His personal life isn't going well at all. He probably wants out as well. If anything. It's mutual.

If Affleck leaves, I could see them going after Toby Kebbell, since he fits the bill and has a history with Reeves.

Yup. Back when Reeves first got the gig and those rumors of Affleck being recast were just starting up, Toby Kebbell was my immediate first guess as to who Reeves would go with for the role.

Hell, even that doesn't happen, I could possibly see Reeves picking Kebbell for either Dick Grayson or Jason Todd too.

I find it funny people are throwing out Flashpoint as a possible solution to addressing why ONE cast member is leaving the connected universe.

Flashpoint will be saved for if they really need to reboot this thing or they reach the eventual point where they need to reboot the universe in 10-15 years. It's not being wasted on addressing Affleck stepping down as Batman.

Sephzilla

Bomber is 5' 7"

He'd need some RJD boots to get up to Gal's height.

And I say this as a fellow 5' 7" dude

I didn't think of this

He was the best character in Kong, despite being in the movie for 45 seconds

Camera trickery can help a lot. Keaton is was only 5'9"

Anung

Un Rama
Also, Michael Keaton only had a handful of movies under his belt (only two that were really noteworthy at all) and was mostly a TV actor before becoming Batman

Keaton was basically a comedian when he got cast as Bats and there was a backlash against him. Downey was a unhirable druggy burnout until he was Iron Man.

Plenty of TV grade actors went on to be hot shit. Bruce Willis was on the TV Show Moonlighting before he became hot shit as Die Hard.

SuperOrez

It's hard to say whether this is worse than the whole Jason Todd is the Joker thing that's been floating around for ages but man it's equally as bad. Just recast and move on.
Obviously its bad. They're gonna shoe horn in a reason why batman looks differebt though. This isn't a Rhodey "I'm here get over it." Situation. Although that would be funny if they did it that way. Alfred would see a silhouette and say who are you followed by the new actor just saying I'm batman. Or something like that.

Superman is their second most important character and possibly the oldest and one of the most popular superhero ever, yet WB isn't afraid of potentially risky casting there.

Also, Michael Keaton only had a handful of movies under his belt (only two that were really noteworthy at all) and was mostly a TV actor before becoming Batman

giphy.gif

Guess who was still TV star when he got the role of Batman

George-Clooney.jpg

Beatlejuice was a big movie being one of the top grossing films that year so Michael Keaton had some rising star power at the time. So it made sense to cast him especially since Tim Burton was also the director of Beatlejuice. George Clooney at least had two movies where had big roles in before batman all Stephen Amell has are flops.

Maddocks

Batman is doctor who now... every change is now Laz out.

I want Ben to stay in forever, but with all his issues with drinking, then he gets out of shape to then work twice as hard to get back in shape. I can see them replacing him for a younger actor in 6 years.

Did you even read my post?

What does his age matter if it isn't even a part of the narrative? He's not walking around on a cane. They could have made him 35-40 years old for BvS and not one scene would have had to change

I did.

My personal point was him being an old man narratively was an odd angle to take because it essentially puts them in a corner where they've only got a few years with Bruce in the role before they have to recast him or move on to Dick/Tim/whoever.

They hit all the same plot points that you're championing with a younger Bruce who's been Batman a year or two. Having the Justice League members all meet each other while they're kind of in the midst of starting their vigilantism is more interesting. Diana should've been the "experienced" one. Bruce is gonna be jaded however old he is.

Ashhong

If they're recasting people then how about Jared Leto next.

Leto is fine. With the right script and direction he can be a great joker

Obviously its bad. They're gonna shoe horn in a reason why batman looks differebt though. This isn't a Rhodey "I'm here get over it." Situation. Although that would be funny if they did it that way. Alfred would see a silhouette and say who are you followed by the new actor just saying I'm batman. Or something like that.

This is terrible.

Kuro

I find it funny people are throwing out Flashpoint as a possible solution to addressing why ONE cast member is leaving the connected universe.

Flashpoint will be saved for if they really need to reboot this thing or they reach the eventual point where they need to reboot the universe in 10-15 years. It's not being wasted on addressing Affleck stepping down as Batman.

I think it also has to do with how awful Man of Steel and BvS was. They can even reboot Suicide Squad too. They can basically fix the shit show that is the DCU with Flashpoint.

Sephzilla

Beatlejuice was a big movie being one of the top grossing films that year so Michael Keaton had some rising star power at the time. So that made sense to cast him especially since Tim Burton was also the director of Beatlejuice. George Clooney at least had two movies where had big roles in before batman all Stephen Amell has are flops.

FUN FACT: If you take the box office of the two George Clooney movies he made prior to Batman & Robin, double the number, they still barley made the money of Stephen Amell's one movie so far.

Also, there was a giant backlash against Michael Keaton playing Batman because he was viewed as a comedy actor at the time. WB rushed out a Batman trailer that was so rough it didn't even have music just to convince people Keaton was legit

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Camera trickery can help a lot. Keaton is was only 5'9"

I noticed that in Spider-Man Homecoming, he's about the same height as Tom Holland. So I'm kind of doubting the 5'9'' Probably addded two inches ala RDJ.. Not that it matters.. His Batman was intimidating was fuck. Vulture is a badass.

Keaton for every role ever, is what I'm getting at here.

Staf

Reboot the shit! Give me a colorful and campy as fuck universe. Clooney Batman and CGI Reeve let's gooooo!

Top Bottom