• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bernie Sanders' Campaign Is Concerned About supporters harressing others online.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kalentan

Pretty sure this is just people on the internet doing the things that they do.

Every candidate has their own % of shitbags.

No one is immune.

Interesting that it's just Bernie supporters being singled out as vile troublemakers.

Most likely because if headlines had: "Hilary Supporters doing bad shit," it would be (even more) bad press for her campaign which you can't have that.

Which I say while knowing that these "BernieBros" probably are real and doing as much damage unknowingly to the cause they're trying to aid.

Also I do find the arguments though of "facing reality" to be laughable. Facing reality has more or less devolved into resigning yourself to what society is and rather keep the same things going then actually trying to improve.

Kalentan

Ahh yes both sides.

Side A: Harasses black folk and women and will support Trump when Sanders loses

Side B: Hopes Sanders will lose and will vote Hillary.

Exactly the same thing.

Says the person whose been very Anti-Bernie and extremely Pro-Hilary in every thread. Very unbias.

Says the person whose been very Anti-Bernie and extremely Pro-Hilary in every thread. Very unbias.

?

And?

I'm not threatening to kill or harassing Sanders fans or saying I hope Trump wins if Clinton doesn't get the nom.

I've also said I think Sanders has a lot of great ideas (some better than Clinton) but that I just don't think he is the right man for the job.

Is thinking Clinton would make a better President the line that makes one an asshole in this argument?

Kalentan

?

And?

I'm not threatening to kill or harassing Sanders fans or saying I hope Trump wins if Clinton doesn't get the nom.

I've also said I think Sanders has a lot of great ideas (some better than Clinton) but that I just don't think he is the right man for the job.

Is thinking Clinton would make a better President the line that makes one an asshole in this argument?

My point being is that your clear bias means you will naturally more than likely ignore the assholes in the Hilary Camps.

I think you're generalizing a tad.

How? The original quote literally equated Sanders people going Trump and Clinton people wanting Sanders to lose more than wanting Clinton to win as equal assholes.... Except only one of those would have any impact on the US itself and spoilers it ain't cheering for Bernie to lose

My point being is that your clear bias means you will naturally more than likely ignore the assholes in the Hilary Camps.

I'm replying to direct quotes iin this thread equating two very different types of behavior under the banner of both sides have assholes.

Voting for Trump and "cheering" against Sanders are not morally equivalent positions.

This "Berniebros" and "feel the Bern" stuff makes me cringe every time.

Also have I stumbled into an alternate reality when OT is something other than heavily skewed towards Sanders and the left?

Love this place, but it's one of the last places I'd come for balanced political discussion.

Still beats r/politics though.

Axiology

It might help if you realize claiming Hillary does not care about income inequality like its fact makes you sound crazy. Hillary obviously cares about it and has outlined policy plans about this very issue and has a strong voting record in the senate on this issue.

Making up facts in your head and acting shocked that Hillary voters don't agree with your made up ideas shouldn't surprise you.

Of course Hillary supporters care about income inequality, they are by and large liberal democrats who back her. They trust Hillary on the issue more than Bernie. That is all.

My dude, 170 top economists said Bernie's plans not only do far more than Hillary's to reform Wall Street, they even said that her's do not go far enough!

170 top economists said:
Secretary Hillary Clinton’s more modest proposals do not go far enough. They call for a bit more oversight and a few new charges on shadow banking activity, but they leave intact the titanic financial conglomerates that practice most shadow banking. As a result, her plan does not adequately reduce the serious risks our financial system poses to the American economy and to individual Americans. Given the size and political power of Wall Street, her proposals would only invite more dilution and finagle.

But why would you ever expect more out of someone who personally got $600,000 in one year to speak to bankers, was on the board of WalMart, is the wife of the person who disastrously repealed the Glass-Steagall act and (and this one hits close to home, because I am Haitian,) who was involved when virtually all of the Haitian Earthquake recovery money disappeared? (Hillary Clinton was overseeing the operation as Secretary of State and the head of the committee was Bill Clinton.)

You think I'm making this up? That's not even half of the easily verifiable stuff out there.

injurai

Banned
How? The original quote literally equated Sanders people going Trump and Clinton people wanting Sanders to lose more than wanting Clinton to win as equal assholes.... Except only one of those would have any impact on the US itself and spoilers it ain't cheering for Bernie to lose

I'm replying to direct quotes iin this thread equating two very different types of behavior under the banner of both sides have assholes.

Voting for Trump and "cheering" against Sanders are not morally equivalent positions.

No, the quote never said they were equal assholes. It just called both assholes. How can you not see you're painting a generalization? You're extrapolating details in the manner in which you see the dichotomy of assholes. Nobody even said these are morally equivalent positions. All that the poster said, is that they are annoyed by assholes from either side.

213372bu

Banned

Also have I stumbled into an alternate reality when OT is something other than heavily skewed towards Sanders and the left?

Love this place, but it's one of the last places I'd come for balanced political discussion.

' No, but please don't mind me linking to Bernie's site in random threads positive or negative about him.'

'No, but please let me call out Sanders fans as racist while insinuating other members posting in this thread may or may not be racist.'

' No, but please don't mind me writing in "Feel the Bern" in a thread title about Apple electical adapters suffering a lethal risk to small children.'

--
I can't wait til election time is over and we can go back to a better OT.

Is Excelsior a part of the Establishment as well?

I'm part of the Canadian establishment.

cwologo.jpg

noshten

' No, but please don't mind me linking to Bernie's site in random threads positive or negative about him.'

'No, but please let me call out Sanders fans as racist while insinuating other members posting in this thread may or may not be racist.'

' No, but please don't mind me writing in "Feel the Bern" in a thread title about Apple electical adapters suffering a lethal risk to small children.'

--
I can't wait til election time is over and we can go back to a better OT.

Yep...

Or "Please let me ignore comments that contain an attack on Sanders but pile on any comment that is negative towards Clinton"

My dude, 170 top economists said Bernie's plans not only do far more than Hillary's to reform Wall Street, they even said that her's do not go far enough!

But why would you ever expect more out of someone who personally got $600,000 in one year to speak to bankers, was on the board of WalMart, is the wife of the person who disastrously repealed the Glass-Steagall act and (and this one hits close to home, because I am Haitian,) who was involved when virtually all of the Haitian Earthquake recovery money disappeared? (Hillary Clinton was overseeing the operation as Secretary of State and the head of the committee was Bill Clinton.)

You think I'm making this up? That's not even half of the easily verifiable stuff out there.
Well, for a start you could post some sources

No, the quote never said they were equal assholes. It just called both assholes. How can you not see you're painting a generalization? You're extrapolating details in the manner in which you see the dichotomy of assholes. Nobody even said these are morally equivalent positions. All that the poster said, is that they are annoyed by assholes from either side.

There is absolutely nothing in either quote that differentiates between the "two" assholes.

It literally says I'm annoyed by both, and agreed assholes on both sides.

It's textbook both sides argument.

injurai

Banned
There is absolutely nothing in either quote that differentiates between the "two" assholes.

It literally says I'm annoyed by both, and agreed assholes on both sides.

It's textbook both sides argument.

You literally just threw what I was telling you, back in my face. My point is that it's not out right equating them. It's just saying there are assholes espouse those various positions. It also doesn't need to differentiate them further when the whole point of the post is casting a net over the category "assholes." It's not bothering with degrees of assholeness and then equating them.

You literally just threw what I was telling you, back in my face. My point is that it's not out right equating them. It's just saying there are assholes espouse those various positions. It also doesn't need to differentiate them further when the whole point of the post is casting a net over the category "assholes." It's not bothering with degrees of assholeness and then equating them.

Then what's the point of the statement?

If I concede it isn't an equilivation, then at best it's an empty statement given the context of the thread.

And I mean hell not wanting Sanders to win is hardly what I'd call an asshole thing anyway, at best if they are really smug at it it'd rise to jerk. Voting Trump and hoping Sanders loses should never fall under the same word, regardless of levels.

IrishNinja

Interesting that it's just Bernie supporters being singled out as vile troublemakers.

interesting indeed, almost as if this thread was about a specific issue that had precedent to it, and was actively doing harm to said candidate

It is a two party system, you'd have to basically blow up your entire political structure to get rid of it. No amount of wishing and supporting of 3rd parties is going to make lick of difference, a third party has no chance and only serves to help whatever part he is most opposite of. Hence hell yes blame Nader.

i'm well aware of the realities of the electoral college & such, but it's a self-reinforcing mentality all the same. Perot still stands as the most successful indie candidate so far, but if another got a significantly higher % of the popular vote, you don't think this would push to change said system?
i know it's hard to see from here, i'm simply saying that mentality maintains it as such.

as a swing state voter, i do not play with fire and vote-trade if anything

Ahh yes both sides.

Side A: Harasses black folk and women and will support Trump when Sanders loses

Side B: Hopes Sanders will lose and will vote Hillary.

Exactly the same thing.

while i largely agree with this assessment, do you really think the diehard bernie supporters will by & large jump over to supporting trump, just to spite hilary? that's...i mean, talk about cutting your nose to spite your face

interesting indeed, almost as if this thread was about a specific issue that had precedent to it, and was actively doing harm to said candidate

i'm well aware of the realities of the electoral college & such, but it's a self-reinforcing mentality all the same. Perot still stands as the most successful indie candidate so far, but if another got a significantly higher % of the popular vote, you don't think this would push to change said system?
i know it's hard to see from here, i'm simply saying that mentality maintains it as such.

while i largely agree with this assessment, do you really think the diehard bernie supporters will by & large jump over to supporting trump, just to spite hilary? that's...i mean, talk about cutting your nose to spite your face

A large number? Nah. Though I think the ones that do are gonna be vocal as fuck and it'll be entertaining to watch them justify it.

lednerg

I guess I didn't hunt far enough back to the original quote. Seemed like you were laying out a false dichotomy.

injurai

Banned
Then what's the point of the statement?

If I concede it isn't an equilivation, then at best it's an empty statement given the context of the thread.

And I mean hell not wanting Sanders to win is hardly what I'd call an asshole thing anyway, at best if they are really smug at it it'd rise to jerk. Voting Trump and hoping Sanders loses should never fall under the same word, regardless of levels.

It's to point out that there are assholes on both sides.

You should concede that because then you'd at least be reading it fairly, and yeah maybe it isn't saying too much at that point.

It's talking about people who are assholes and drum up excitement over the thought of Sander's losing the primaries. I see no reason why a certain group of people should be immune to falling under the word asshole. Once again, it doesn't equate them on every level. Are we really going to play a semantic game between jerk and asshole?

I don't think it's really racism, in the classical sense, so much as arrogance. Bernie is right - and obviously so, in their minds - and so there must be something deficient or wrong about those who don't see it. I don't think Hillary really has anything to recommend her, as a candidate, other than being famous as a byproduct of her husband's political acumen and having a shit-ton of connections by which to draw capital to her, but ultimately, politicians are tools, and if she follows the course of most other presidents and does a decent job of pursuing her campaign promises, the world will be objectively better - albeit not by as much as I might prefer - than if a Republican is elected. Were it a lower-stakes election, I'd probably vote third party, but given the probable Supreme Court seat(s) at stake, and the necessity of keeping the ACA from being repealed before we even have a chance to work the kinks out, I feel the need to actively vote against the GOP.

Underdog candidate whose ideas resonate with vocal minority has supporters more prone to being hyperbolic and pushy due to said underdog status. News at 11.

Pretty much this. Bernie is an underdog candidate with much more passionate views. As a result you will get a vocal minority of supporters who are very passionate about their politics.

That said while Bernie fans tend to be worse than Hillary fans it isn't like they have a monopoly with this. Hilary fans can be nearly as bad and were arguably worse during the 2008 election. There is also the fact that the Berniebros outrage is much MUCH smaller than people believe and is more or less limited to a small percent of internet posters.

By far the most upsetting thing about this election is how both sides have no idea how politics work. Bernie supporters think they can just change the political landscape in less than a year. Hillary supporters don't even want to do anything until 2020 and...essentially do the same thing. Though I would say Bernie supporters are much more realistic with this as they seem to understand that the people's views change the parties views and not the other way around. If you want to change people's opinions on things you going to have to get out there and be active. The Hillary camp thinks they can just wait out demographics changes not realizing how things can flip any year (remember when the youth were decidedly Republican ten years ago?) and that the Millennials REALLY aren't as "liberal" as they think.

On average, GAF seems to be pretty solidly in the Hillary camp. Half the Sanders threads seem to consist of a) His plans are unrealistic/not fleshed out/too risky to gamble on or b) He doesn't care about black people. Meanwhile most of the Hillary threads are about the Republicans trying to lock her in a gulag for the 3000th time, with a few "But what about Bill tho".

In terms of harassment on the wider internet, yeah, you definitely have that contingent of Sanders stans who are total pieces of shit, most of whom were probably Ron Paul-ites in elections past and will drift to the next flavor of the month "fuck the (wo)man" candidate if/when Sanders falls.

The thing about both sides though is that they are both insufferable if you're not solidly in their camp. I think 90% of the reason Hillary supporters are relatively less hostile is because she's in such a stronger position and is the presumptive nominee; her supporters don't feel the need to lash out as strongly. A bunch of them are still extremely smug, dismissive, and presumptuous.

It stinks because I like them both to only slightly varying degrees and I wish we could all get along :\

akira28

are bernie sanders supporters going to turn into hillaryis44 style lunatics if he loses? definitely feels like they are going that way.

their small numbers still won't ensure a Trump victory. Hillary has certain voting blocs locked in unless she royally fucks up. Trump isn't getting the black and brown.

It's to point out that there are assholes on both sides.

You should concede that because then you'd at least be reading it fairly, and yeah maybe it isn't saying too much at that point.

It's talking about people who are assholes and drum up excitement over the thought of Sander's losing the primaries. I see no reason why a certain group of people should be immune to falling under the word asshole. Once again, it doesn't equate them on every level. Are we really going to play a semantic game between jerk and asshole?

This is a thread about a not insignificant amount of harassment being thrown out by Sanders. There's also a much smaller group threatening to vote Trump to boot.

So when the best someone else can come up with in a both sides have assholes argument is that someone people are too gleeful in hoping Sanders loses, yes I'm going to play a semantics game.

There is only one side doing anything remotely similar to what this thread is about and it's the people that this thread is about.

This is a thread about a not insignificant amount of harassment and threats of voting Trump being thrown out by Sanders fans

So when the best someone else can come up with in a both sides have assholes argument is that someone people are too gleeful in hoping Sanders loses, yes I'm going to play a semantics game.

There is only one side doing anything remotely similar to what this thread is about and it's the people that this thread is about

The amount of Sanders supporters who will vote for Trump during the election will be around the same amount of Clinton supporters who voted for McCain during 2008.

Virtually none.

EDIT - As a whole both supporters aren't much different. This is a clear case of what "internet culture" does to ruin perspective.

lednerg

This is a thread about a not insignificant amount of harassment and threats of voting Trump being thrown out by Sanders fans

There is only one side doing anything remotely similar to what this thread is about and it's the people that this thread is about.

Okay, I take it back. You are generalizing if you think that even a percentage of Bernie supporters are going to switch to Trump. That's beyond absurd.

Okay, I take it back. You are generalizing if you think that even a percentage of Bernie supporters are going to switch to Trump. That's beyond absurd.

Ok yeah that wasn't clear. I should have put more separation between the two.

The not insignificant remark should only really apply to the harassment. I've already said the amount that will switch to Trump is not significant just that they'll be vocal.

Apologies.

Edited my post above.

Axiology

I would argue that the amount of Sanders fans threatening to vote Trump if Hillary wins is insignificant. Especially if you compare it to the likely 95% percent that are determined to vote blue no matter who. The last 5% (realistically, a lot less) would probably go to Jill Stein or stay out entirely. How vocal and aggressive they are is an issue, but we all know Berniebros are a minority.

I would argue that the amount of Sanders fans threatening to vote Trump if Hillary wins is insignificant. Especially if you compare it to the likely 95% percent that are determined to vote blue no matter who. The last 5% (realistically, a lot less) would probably go to Jill Stein or stay out entirely. How vocal and aggressive they are is an issue, but we all know Berniebros are a minority.

See above and my edit.

injurai

Banned
This is a thread about a not insignificant amount of harassment being thrown out by Sanders. There's also a much smaller group threatening to vote Trump to boot.

I can't tell if you're defending the semantic game by doubling down the equivalence reading, or just defending the semantic game for the sake of a point you should have made independently. Anyways, to make you're point in context to that comment was to generalize "a tad" as lednerg put it.

Yes tautologies are fun, but at best it's an empty statement given the context of the thread.

I can't tell you're defending the semantic game by doubling down the equivalence reading, or just defending the semantic game for the sake of a point you should have made independently.

Yes tautologies are fun, but at best it's an empty statement given the context of the thread.

I'm saying in a thread about not insignificant harassment and abuse by one side, whining about how both sides have assholes and that the other side's assholes consist of people who cheer against Sanders too loudly is poor form.

If you want to use the same word without modifiers or clarification, the actions should be at least comparable. These aren't.

Except of course, some of those "top economists" were personal financial planners, instructors at community colleges, grad students, and so on, and so forth.

IrishNinja

What does this even mean? You enjoy this? Some people are assholes and you enjoy that?

i certainly can't speak for slayven, but i took it to mean that it's almost refreshing to see a particular issue long since dismissed by many finally getting the attention it deserves

again, even as someone who will likely vote for bernie in the primaries, it's very off-putting and needs to be acknowledged. i imagine libertarians/ron paul supporters in the past were not overly comfortable with some of the nastier demographics seen there as well (though the scope/degree here isn't the same, granted)

lednerg

I'm saying in a thread about not insignificant harassment and abuse by one side, whining about how both sides have assholes and that the other side's assholes consist of people who cheer against Sanders too loudly is poor form.

If you want to use the same word without modifiers or clarification, the actions should be at least comparable. These aren't.

Like I mentioned earlier, this "Berniebro" thing says more about young adults than anything. That's who uses social media and are the most obnoxious about their positions on it. Bernie has done nothing to egg on any kind of harassment whatsoever. Their behavior is neither a reflection on Sanders nor is it how the vast majority of his supporters feel. It's a function of age.

royalan

I was a very vocal supporter of Hillary in 2008 (even did some work for her campaign here in Philly) and I'm a very vocal supporter this cycle, and it's not hard to admit that the sheer amount of hate/sexism being thrown at her specifically by Bernie Sanders supporters is off the charts, and blows anything she got from Obama supporters in 2008 out of the water. It's insane and gross, the woman can't lift a finger without people questioning the motives behind it.

I'm glad the article mentioned Elon James White, because he's been going OFF on Bernie supporters his last few podcasts, and detailing the kind of hate he's been getting for criticizing Bernie. Funny thing is, if you actually listen to Elon's podcast, he was MORE critical of Hillary until Bernie's supporters went rabid over the few incidences in which he did criticize the guy.

And even on GAF, it seems like if you're not on Bernie's side, you're the enemy to his supporters. And you really don't see that energy in Hillary's camp, at least nowhere near approaching similar levels.

Like I mentioned earlier, this "Berniebro" thing says more about young people than anything. That's who uses social media and are the most obnoxious about their positions. Bernie has done nothing to egg on any kind of harassment whatsoever. Their behavior is neither a reflection on Sanders nor is it how the vast majority of his supporters feel. It's a function of age.

Not at all true. Bernie's campaign has been actively fueling the paranoia/conspiracy narrative since the server hacking incident.

Like I mentioned earlier, this "Berniebro" thing says more about young people than anything. That's who uses social media and are the most obnoxious about their positions. Bernie has done nothing to egg on any kind of harassment whatsoever. Their behavior is neither a reflection on Sanders nor is it how the vast majority of his supporters feel. It's a function of age.

Never said he egged it on. But it's been happening for ages now so I don't really find it impressive that he's only now speaking on it.

lednerg

Never said he egged it on. But it's been happening for ages now so I don't really find it impressive that he's only now speaking on it.

The very next rally he did after the online BLM backlash last summer included a plea for unity and understanding. If you didn't hear it, then that's on you.

Also, that was hardly the point I was making.

televator

i certainly can't speak for slayven, but i took it to mean that it's almost refreshing to see a particular issue long since dismissed by many finally getting the attention it deserves

again, even as someone who will likely vote for bernie in the primaries, it's very off-putting and needs to be acknowledged. i imagine libertarians/ron paul supporters in the past were not overly comfortable with some of the nastier demographics seen there as well (though the scope/degree here isn't the same, granted)

Still, I'd like the OP to clarify.

Not at all true. Bernie's campaign has been actively fueling the paranoia/conspiracy narrative since the server hacking incident.

There are two thing you mention here. One is conspiracy (as you see it) and the other is harassment. Both are not like the other.

I have heard people complaining about obnoxious Bernie supporters but I've never seen it myself. They are old Ron Paul supporters from Reddit? Jesus. I can only imagine.

Watch any youtube video of Stephen Colbert or Trevor Noah talking about politics, specifically Hillary, and you'll see the comment section swarming with obnoxious Bernie supporters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom