• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bernie Sanders Won't Endorse Clinton Until He Measures Her Comittment Against Wall St

Status
Not open for further replies.

andthebeatgoeson

http://www.cnn.com/2016/06/12/politics/orlando-shooting-obama-political-reaction/index.html

He already gave a statement. Jesus some of you guys are just grasping at any reason to be mad at Sanders... let it go.
Well, it's not like no other politician has ever had to grapple with optics and timing.

Everyone can't be on top of everything, all the time. It comes with the territory. Is it right? No, but he's coming off as tone deaf for the entire campaign.

He's getting terrible advice and this is another sign.

Don't be the Democrat that is okay with guns/off message giving a statement like this. People are already ready for him to give up.

Just a mediocre politician and it shows.

A mediocre campaigner.

A great idea guy, a decent fundraiser.

JJMorris

Give me a fucking break. A token statement means fuck-all when he turns right around and spouts more Purity-test bullshit.

Read the article, he said it will determine how closely they will work with her campaign, not all or nothing. He's not calling himself Gandhi.

Screw Clinton.

She's the fakest liberal ever.

Don't support her Bernie. You've already paved the way for a true liberal American to go into the next election.

Don't sour the movement just for the sake of party unity. Garbage.

He says he'll do whatever it takes to prevent Trump from getting into the White House, but is reluctant to do the one thing that would help the most. The guys makes zero sense.

Lucini

Banned
This thread confirms that not many people click the links and read the content.

Sen. Sanders responded to a question about the endorsement during a television interview. I'm not sure if any of you are versed in public relations, but there here are two potential answers to this question:

- Do what people in this thread have suggested and deflect. This gives members of the media the avenue to speculate that you will not endorse Hillary Clinton at all, perpetuates the coverage of the #BernieorBust aspects of the primary season, etc etc

- Answer genuinely, that the endorsement really hinges on the most important part of your platform. This is two things, an acknowledgement of the work your campaign has done first and showing that you are willing to endorse Hillary Clinton. Conditional or not, given how reactionary the Bernie voters have been, that was the necessary move.

Or

- Deflect by deferring comment due to the tragedy in Orlando. This gives opposition avenue to attack your sincerity vis a vis your views on guns and the ability to accuse you of using the tragedy to avoid endorsing Hillary Clinton.

Is it really that hard to think it through and maybe understand this is not a binary situation, and that there are really not a lot of binary situations?

Plumbob

Screw Clinton.

Don't support her Bernie. You've already paved the way for a true liberal American to go into the next election.

Must be nice for some people not having to worry about the actual consequences of this election.

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
There is no reason this couldn't have waited until Monday.

None.

Well, his ego though.

Sen. Sanders responded to a question about the endorsement during a television interview. I'm not sure if any of you are versed in public relations, but there here are two potential answers to this question:

- Do what people in this thread have suggested and deflect. This gives members of the media the avenue to speculate that you will not endorse Hillary Clinton at all, perpetuates the coverage of the #BernieorBust aspects of the primary season, etc etc

- Answer genuinely, that the endorsement really hinges on the most important part of your platform. This is two things, an acknowledgement of the work your campaign has done first and showing that you are willing to endorse Hillary Clinton. Conditional or not, given how reactionary the Bernie voters have been, that was the necessary move.

Or

- Deflect by deferring comment due to the tragedy in Orlando. This gives opposition avenue to attack your sincerity vis a vis your views on guns and the ability to accuse you of using the tragedy to avoid endorsing Hillary Clinton.

Is it really that hard to think it through and maybe understand this is not a binary situation, and that there are really not a lot of binary situations?

True enough.

Azerare

He was asked a question on a tv news programme. What do you expect the man to do, scrap the whole interview?

Edit: Fucking hell, judging by the comments no one actually read the OP. Dear god HillaryGAF is quick to attack this man.

Hill-dawgs jump to conclusions without facts bruh. Now the normal Hilary supporters... they're good in my books.

Maddox

I don't see what is wrong with this? He was asked a question and answered it honestly and true to his beliefs.

ApharmdX

Banned
Holy shit at the overrractions in this thread. The guy simply answered a question not even directly related to today's events.

Yeah, a lot of posters have just gone full-on frothing at the mouth ideologue.

"Bernie Sanders doesn't care about LGBT community"

"Don't answer questions in an interview after you've already addressed today's shooting because reasons"

It's a bad look. What happened today is a terrible tragedy but the anger here is very much misplaced, and has nothing to do with the attack besides.

Screw Clinton.

Would you prefer this?

mPi4mvN.png

Shaffield

He's a single-issue candidate (if you consider campaign finance reform and Wall St regulations to be the same issue) and he won't endorse Clinton unless she is dedicated to the same issue.
He's not going to give away his support and his supporters to a candidate who doesn't share those beliefs.

I don't see how this has anything to do with the tragedy in Orlando, considering he has already given a statement on it, and the Wall St statement was his response to another question on Face the Nation.

Also, claiming that he doesn't care about LGBT issues is completely out of line.

I thought he was taking this to the convention tho....

I'm not going to go at him for the timing. This was a planned appearance on a Sunday news show where he answered a question unrelated to today's events. Bernie has made A LOT of mistakes this campaign, I'm not terribly bothered over this one.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I love how the chicken littles are still very worried about the timing and nature of Bernie's drop out. "He just isn't losing the right way!" If Bernie doesn't do <insert list of things Bernie should do>, then Trump will surely beat Hillary, and it's Bernie's fault, even though there's 5 months left until the general election, Hillary's campaign has all the resources it need to go forward, and there's no evidence that the timing and manner of primary defeat drop-outs impact electoral results, including a wide variety of historical cases where opponents did not endorse the winner or did so weakly at or after the convention, and all the major voices in the Democratic party think Bernie will drop out but are trying to give him space to work through his shit, and Bernie himself has already started winding down the campaign, and sending out the message that he's preparing to shift focus to the general to defeat Trump.

I've been refreshing Twitter and reddit for the last 18 hours ten times a minute and I keep seeing dumb posts from Berniebros that prove Bernie needs to drop out now!

Blader

Screw Clinton.

A true liberal American president whose agenda would be constantly undercut by a conservative Supreme Court packed by President Trump for the next 10-20 years. The movement would be stalled for decades.

Screw Clinton.

Sorry, but you have a binary choice this November: either vote for Clinton, or take any other action which will aid Trump's chances of securing the White House. That's it. If a Trump presidency is preferable to a Clinton presidency for you, so be it. Otherwise, make your choice.

There are valid reasons to be upset with Bernie. Him answering a questioned asked to him on a (possibly pre-taped) interview is not one of them.

HillGAF jumped the shark ITT.

LaNaranja

He says he'll do whatever it takes to prevent Trump from getting into the White House, but is reluctant to do the one thing that would help the most. The guys makes zero sense.

I think he is doing this to talk down the most crazy of his fans. A faux meeting just so that he can say, "no really, I assure you she is ok."

Boney

Banned
This faux outrage is pathetic. If he's going on air he needs to address his positions even if it's amidst of such tragedy. The interview and all the schedule was set and the clock needs to keep ticking.

If he was asked about this crime and answered that this wouldn't have happened without Wall Street then I'd be outraged too.

"I'll talk to Clinton regarding what I believe is important we compromise about"

Gaf :"burn this man alive".

I love how the chicken littles are still very worried about the timing and nature of Bernie's drop out. "He just isn't losing the right way!" If Bernie doesn't do <insert list of things Bernie should do>, then Trump will surely beat Hillary, and it's Bernie's fault, even though there's 5 months left until the general election, Hillary's campaign has all the resources it need to go forward, and there's no evidence that the timing and manner of primary defeat drop-outs impact electoral results, including a wide variety of historical cases where opponents did not endorse the winner or did so weakly at or after the convention, and all the major voices in the Democratic party think Bernie will drop out but are trying to give him space to work through his shit, and Bernie himself has already started winding down the campaign, and sending out the message that he's preparing to shift focus to the general to defeat Trump.

I've been refreshing Twitter and reddit for the last 18 hours ten times a minute and I keep seeing dumb posts from Berniebros that prove Bernie needs to drop out now!
Don't refresh gaf or the triple whammy could leave you senseless.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
Screw Clinton.

Berniebros are just like Tea Partiers with their talk of purity tests and tarring their opponents as "establishment"

kingsamj

The timing is awkward but give the guy a break. He's going to endorse Clinton after DC, this Wall St purity test bs is just to give his eventual endorsement a veneer of authenticity. If this helps give his followers the impression that their messiah has properly vetted Clinton before endorsing, I think it's a good thing.

DarkKyo

Berniebros are just like Tea Partiers with their talk of purity tests and tarring their opponents as "establishment"

Yeah but are the Clinton die hards in this thread any better? Their stance is that any democrat/liberal who doesn't get in line behind Clinton can go fuck themselves. Talk about purity tests...

watershed

Banned
He's just putting his spin on what will eventually happen, which is him officially ending his campaign and endorsing Clinton. The posturing doesn't matter, it's just leverage and saving face.

Shaffield

And Clinton supporters are reactionaries that blindly soak up the sentimental narrative of Sanders destroying party unity and handing the election to Trump over "pettiness."

Plenty of assholes on both sides

Yeah but are the Clinton die hards in this thread any better? Their stance is that any democrat/liberal who doesn't get in line behind Clinton can go fuck themselves. Talk about purity tests...

They can at least back it up with the fact that Clinton will be the Democratic nominee this November. Clinton will be on the ballot against Trump.

andthebeatgoeson

Or

How about answer genuinely, and when your PR realize the interview will air hours after the worst shooting in American history, against a marginalized group, you work like hell to get them to hold on this.

It's PR. They get paid for a reason. But if you are stuck up your own ass, you don't try and progress the issue. You let it be about you and what you want. You don't correct it because you don't see a problem. As long as it's not about wall street, no alarms go off. The rest of the Democrats worry about gun rights. Easy access to guns. Continued victimization of the lgbt community. The continue push to isolate the Muslim community, not even a week after Ali died.

No, you decide to talk about banks. Again. Just trash tier from every progressive angle.

Stfu about banks, Bernie. Today is not the day. We don't need My First National Campaign by Sony level bullshit.

Azerare

Clinton diehards are definitely scary. I would love to see a meltdown thread if Trump got elected. It would be karmic retribution for how they've been posting this election season.

Josh7289

This doesn't sound bad to me. He's pulling Clinton and the Democrats further to the left. Wasn't that the original goal? And he's already committed to helping defeat Trump in the general election.

I think he is doing this to talk down the most crazy of his fans. A faux meeting just so that he can say, "no really, I assure you she is ok."

I'm aware of the game being played right now. He just didn't need to say exactly what he said because it just fans the flames. Instead a simple, "I plan on meeting with Sec. Clinton in the coming weeks to discuss how we can move forward" would have sufficed instead of adding qualifiers to his level of support.

This doesn't sound bad to me. He's pulling Clinton and the Democrats further to the left. Wasn't that the original goal? And he's already committed to helping defeat Trump in the general election.

However, he just qualified how far he's willing to go to do that. What if he doesn't like what she has to say? Is he going to avoid an endorsement? You don't want Bernie out there running some pseudo independent campaign in September and October.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom