• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bernie Sanders Won't Endorse Clinton Until He Measures Her Comittment Against Wall St

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goodstyle

Guys, relax. Bernie is doing the right thing here. If he endorses her now, he'll anger his base. This way he eases them into it and makes it seem like he won a moral victory. Calm yourselves, seriously.

Clinton diehards are definitely scary. I would love to see a meltdown thread if Trump got elected. It would be karmic retribution for how they've been posting this election season.

Lol. On the other hand there's guys like you who probably need to be taken down a peg every once in a while

egruntz

shelaughz
Yes.

You say "this is not the time to talk about Politics, now is the time to mourn and reflect on what we can do as a nation" and relate yourself and your politics to preventing the tragedy.

Not continue to fight a war you already lost.

You are so out of touch with reality. My goodness.

Maztorre

I love how the chicken littles are still very worried about the timing and nature of Bernie's drop out. "He just isn't losing the right way!" If Bernie doesn't do <insert list of things Bernie should do>, then Trump will surely beat Hillary, and it's Bernie's fault, even though there's 5 months left until the general election, Hillary's campaign has all the resources it need to go forward, and there's no evidence that the timing and manner of primary defeat drop-outs impact electoral results, including a wide variety of historical cases where opponents did not endorse the winner or did so weakly at or after the convention, and all the major voices in the Democratic party think Bernie will drop out but are trying to give him space to work through his shit, and Bernie himself has already started winding down the campaign, and sending out the message that he's preparing to shift focus to the general to defeat Trump.

I've been refreshing Twitter and reddit for the last 18 hours ten times a minute and I keep seeing dumb posts from Berniebros that prove Bernie needs to drop out now!

This. This meeting is very obviously going to be Sanders meeting with Hillary to determine how best to wind down and shift his existing base towards her without him appearing to have "sold out". Positive news for any Democrat voter. But the usual suspects here can't even accept that, because he's not doing it in a way that is 100% in line with their desires. These are the same people who decry purity politics without a hint of irony while expecting complete compliance from other wings of the party.

ApharmdX

Banned
There are valid reasons to be upset with Bernie. Him answering a questioned asked to him on a (possibly pre-taped) interview is not one of them.

HillGAF jumped the shark ITT.

Yeah. The outrage here has absolutely nothing to do with the terror attack today. It's the same posters who have been outraged over Bernie's campaign for the last six months.

Clinton diehards are definitely scary. I would love to see a meltdown thread if Trump got elected. It would be karmic retribution for how they've been posting this election season.

But then we'd have President Trump. That'd be karmic retribution for all of America, and the world, for allowing that to happen.

We can't have President Trump.

My problem isn't even the timing.

I understand it's an interview. My issue is his answer. He won't endorse Hillary, and will potentially risk some of his supporters going to Trump because...Wall St? We have all of this at stake and he wants her to pass his purity test?

For real?

Guys, relax. Bernie is doing the right thing here. If he endorses her now, he'll anger his base. This way he eases them into it and makes it seem like he won a moral victory. Calm yourselves, seriously.

I hope you are right.

Trump scares the shit out of me. If the roles were reversed and Bernie had a near 400 pledged delegate lead over her, I would want her to drop out so we can focus on beating Trump.

diaspora

The only people receiving retribution would be gays and racial minorities really. It's what makes Bernie fans so gross- the disregard for these people.

I understand it's an interview. My issue is his answer. He won't endorse Hillary, and will potentially risk some of his supporters going to Trump because...Wall St? We have all of this at stake and he wants her to pass his purity test?

For real?

Wall St matters more than ensuring the candidate that can better assist minorities gets full and unconditional assistance.

Skatterd

Screw Clinton.

She's the fakest liberal ever.

Don't support her Bernie. You've already paved the way for a true liberal American to go into the next election.

Don't sour the movement just for the sake of party unity. Garbage.

Trump literally pats himself on the back for 50 deaths today and this is the hill you're going to die on?

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member

Statements like these are almost as bad as some of the statements made by the more extreme irrational diehards of both Clinton and Sanders. Wanting to see something like that "for the luls" is horrible.

Cagey

Banned
This. This meeting is very obviously going to be Sanders meeting with Hillary to determine how best to wind down and shift his existing base towards her without him appearing to have "sold out". Positive news for any Democrat voter. But the usual suspects here can't even accept that, because he's not doing it in a way that is 100% in line with their desires. These are the same people who decry purity politics without a hint of irony while expecting complete compliance from other wings of the party.

The 2016 Democratic primary, at least among the most vocal and extremely passionate and just plain extreme supporters, has been a purity battle between belief and party; ideologues and partisans.

What differentiates it from the GOP v. Tea Party is that there didn't seem to be much of a defense from the party to the ideology-driven element.

Yeah Bernie was totally just a senile old man with nothing to say other than the same thing over and over
It took him about 8 seconds to go back to talking about billionaires and wall Street when he was asked a question about race relations in America.

Wall St matters more than ensuring the candidate that can better assist minorities gets full and unconditional assistance.

This is my problem. But we're all being irrational for having this reaction to this statement? This guy is potentially damaging the party with his bullshit. In light of the fact that congress turned down a bill in 2015 that disallows terrorists or would be terrorists/people on watch lists from buying guns, we need this party more united than ever for a healthy future.

Maztorre

For real?

Be real. This isn't a purity test, this is a strategy to shift his supporters towards Clinton. If he made a simple concession speech and just told everyone to get behind Hillary at the end, the very same people complaining here would be up in arms that he isn't doing enough.

This is to the Democrats' benefit but I wouldn't expect rational thought from the die-hards here, who can't accept a candidate holding on to their long-held beliefs when there are still 5 months until the GE.

The irony is that Bernie doing his "purity test" is going probably going to lead to a much more effective and convincing endorsement for his disillusioned fan base.

rjinaz

You said I'm out of touch with reality, which is a ridiculously assholish thing to say. Especially when all I'm saying is that there is no reason to let this go out today.

And how do you know it was even his choice? He did an interview, likely not taped this very morning, and CBS put out the interview today as scheduled. You should probably be raging at CBS right now.

I understand Bernie's trying to wind it down slowly in an effort to get his followers to switch over. This statement is part of slowly winding things down, carefully vetting her, making sure it seems like his campaign made a serious change in her views.

However, the problem is that it doesn't matter. They aren't going to switch. They are going to attack him for endorsing Clinton. They are then going to vote for Trump, Jill Stein, or Gary Johnson. The ones who are going to switch have probably already made their intent known.

And that's ok, I want these people out of the party. We'll beat Trump without them. They have no place in the party. They are not really interested in trying to change things for the better. They are more interested in burning things down. Quite a few of these people went from Ron Paul to Bernie Sanders.

Bernie needs to go campaign for progressive senators across the country.

And how do you know it was even his choice? He did an interview, likely not taped this very morning, and CBS put out the interview today as scheduled. You should probably be raging at CBS right now.

Then you call CBS before the interview and parlay a deal to delay it. Politicians delaying interviews being released until politically convenient happens every day.

UFO

Banned
Now is not the time, come on man

You really gotta do this today, Bernie? Really?

You are going to do this today? FUCKING TODAY?

He is just as big of as fucking egotist as Trump, thats why.

Fuck off Bernie. You really don't need to be in the spotlight today.

National tragedy?

Who cares! Wall St! Establishment!

Tone deaf. Utterly tone deaf. Not today dumbass.

Some of you people are absolutely pathetic and blind. He was scheduled to be on a political show and therefore talked about politics. He answered the question he was asked, he didn't brush away the Orlando shooting and demand the spotlight be put on himself. Your shill won, be happy, fucking get over it. Stop crying because you can't get Bernie to shill for your shill.

rjinaz

Then you call CBS before the interview and parlay a deal to delay it. Politicians delaying interviews being released until politically convenient happens every day.

I understand people are upset this morning and for good reason. But, Bernie did nothing wrong here.

As much as I've come to dislike him, not worried about this. This is part of his path to end his campaign. He'll meet with her and say she has his trust etc..

Fuck off. I'm so sick of this passive crap.

Literally all I'v said is "don't make this statement today".
When 9/11 happened, I was in high school. After watching one of the buildings tumble on the classroom TV, my teacher turned it off and said "Time for your test."

The whole world can't stop just because of a tragedy. If you want to take your time to mourn in your own way, that's respectable, but what is the point of spending your time right now getting angry at people who do differently from you?

Is it me or are Bernie threads an absolute mess? As a European I'm not that invested but there seems to be a lot of passive aggressiveness in both directions whenever I click one of these.

Is this a recent thing?

Is it me or are Bernie threads an absolute mess? As a European I'm not that invested but there seems to be a lot of passive aggressiveness in both directions whenever I click one of these.

Is this a recent thing?

It happens after every primary.
clinton_supporter_voting_4_mccain_pinback_button-r7dde1a7ac8874de19a855ec9abf9ebcf_x7j3i_8byvr_324.jpg

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

There are flying leaps of logic here, and it's not clear what you're proposing (use a tragedy to torpedo an interview) is in any way better optics than just doing the interview and answering the question when asked. Bernie is a Senator. I'm not questioning your patriotism because you're in this thread instead of volunteering at a blood bank or whatever right now. People can grieve about Orlando, discuss and reflect, and seek political leadership on the issues surrounding terrorism, domestic radicalization, hate crimes, gun violence, without stopping everything else in their life. It's OK for someone to also talk about taxes, reproductive rights, card check, skiing, pickling, mustaches, or whatever else on the day of a tragedy. It's not weird that someone who runs a cancer charity would still talk about cancer on the day of a charity. If the interview had asked him "What do you think of Orlando?" and he said "Who cares the real violence is poverty and the millionaires and billionaires?", that would be callous and worthy of scorn, but inventing a set of hoops that he needs to jump through to grieve sufficiently is bizarre.

The case for Bernie Is Not Doing The Right Thing Why Is He Not Discussing Orlando kinda comes off like:
ApA7Swu.png

Berniebros are just like Tea Partiers with their talk of purity tests and tarring their opponents as "establishment"

There is a lot of the establishment that is pathetic. How much of it is corrupt, and how much that deserves to be reformed is argueable, but there is no "purity test" over Bernie Sanders, and he is nothing like the tea party movement.
Todays event is possible thanks to the establishment protecting asine rights of disgusting assholes. There is a lot about the establishment to be angry about. People have always been angry at the establishment. It fucks people disproportionally. You know this. So why repeat this stump speech nonsense.

#NotAllEstablishment. Read between the lines instead of defending these systems.:(
Don't conflate tea partiers with disinfranchised youths. There is a rift of difference between angry young college students in debt and religious fanaticism as it exist in the tea party, who runs on a campaign of hate.
Obviously not all the establishment is corrupt, but establishment politics is the bringer of many bad things.

massoluk

Banned
Yo, Bernie, there's a fucking most horrific mass shooting in US history today and it's against LGBT community, can you leave off Wall Street speech for one fucking day

edit: Oops, sorry, I should have read the earlier posts just above me.

Here's how it's gonna play out. Tuesday, Hillary and Sanders will have their chat. Wednesday, rumors will be out about an agreement between the two. Thursday or Friday, Sanders will give an official endorsement along with something about working with Clinton to put banking regulations and college tuition price control on the 2017 legislative agenda.

Be real. This isn't a purity test, this is a strategy to shift his supporters towards Clinton. If he made a simple concession speech and just told everyone to get behind Hillary at the end, the very same people complaining here would be up in arms that he isn't doing enough.

This is to the Democrats' benefit but I wouldn't expect rational thought from the die-hards here, who can't accept a candidate holding on to their long-held beliefs when there are still 5 months until the GE.

Okay. It depends on how you interpret it though. In the past he has explicitly said that Clinton will have to win his supporters herself. So making this statement could be interpreted in multiple ways. Sure, it could be strategic and she'll make a commitment against Wall St later this week, an agreement the two of them (supposedly) made, but as it is, it just feels inflammatory given how Bernie has acted in the past few months.

Maztorre

Why should I calm down when I was the one insulted?

I made one comment about Bernie Sanders politics in this thread. The rest is literally "don't do this today, figure something out to delay it".

Your first post said "What a tone deaf asshole. Fuck him". The rest of your posts are hyperaggressive nonsense, including a bunch of stuff about hypothetical actions he should have taken with CBS that you have absolutely no knowledge or context about, then you tell another GAFer to fuck off. Look rationally at what you're saying, because it is blatantly obvious that this is all about finding fault in anything Sanders does at this point, rather than what's really happening (Sanders discussing his withdrawal with Hillary which is objectively a huge positive for both your preferred candidate and the Democratic party).

You're being told to calm down by others because personal insults are a bannable offense and other posters don't want you to die on this particular hill.

The whole act of endorsing a former opponent seems unnecessary to me.

I would agree.

I would hope and expect Clinton try to bring Bernie into the fold, though. I think it would benefit both parties. I'd especially like Clinton to take some ideas of Bernie's. I legitimately think the college idea should be looked into.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Here's how it's gonna play out. Tuesday, Hillary and Sanders will have their chat. Wednesday, rumors will be out about an agreement between the two. Thursday or Friday, Sanders will give an official endorsement along with something about working with Clinton to put banking regulations and college tuition price control on the 2017 legislative agenda.

This would basically the timing of Hillary's 2008 drop-out, except she didn't have any particular issues that she wanted Obama to champion. The final primary was June 3, 2008 (the same day Obama secured enough superdelegate endorsements to be the presumptive nominee); she did not concede that night ("there will be absolutely no decisions tonight"). Two days later she informed supporters she was planning to move to endorse Obama. The campaign continued for two more days, at which point she endorsed Obama and ended her campaign. If you do the superdelegate timing, Bernie would be a week later than Hillary endorsing Obama; if you do the primary/caucus timing, he'd be on basically the same timing.

I would agree.

I would hope and expect Clinton try to bring Bernie into the fold, though. I think it would benefit both parties. I'd especially like Clinton to take some ideas of Bernie's. I legitimately think the college idea should be looked into.

This isn't really the place for it but improving K-12 education would help more people than free college.

Arkeband

Banned
Do some of you ever get tired of posting the same "fak u old man" non-posts every single Bernie thread?

It's easy to tune out, but you shit up the entire first page of these threads before real discussion takes place.

This isn't really the place for it but improving K-12 education would help more people than free college.

Sure. I find that far more important, actually. But my idea is that there should be a generalized mandate to improve education in America in all of its forms, whether it's K-12 education, HBCU funding, or the ridiculous tuition of modern colleges/universities.

You guys, calm down. Read the article. The campaign already put out a statement about Orlando, and support for the LGBT community. Just breathe.

He is dividing the Democrats by his selfishness. If the Democrats lose the election, the LGBT+ and the rest of the minorities will be negatively affected.

Sanders keeps demonstrating that he is a selfish asshole who doesn't care about anyone but himself even during this very tough time. The biggest terrorist attack on the most marginalised minority group happened last night for God's sake.

Some of you people are absolutely pathetic and blind. He was scheduled to be on a political show and therefore talked about politics. He answered the question he was asked, he didn't brush away the Orlando shooting and demand the spotlight be put on himself. Your shill won, be happy, fucking get over it. Stop crying because you can't get Bernie to shill for your shill.
/r/sandersforpresident is that way. -->

Jigorath

Banned
I would agree.

I'm sure she'll acknowledge his ideas and give some speech thanking him for his years of service in politics. Y'know, placate him and his fans a little. Then he'll give her an endorsement and they'll pretend to be friends for about 5 minutes for the cameras and everyone will move on with their lives.

If the Democrats lose the election

They won't. Relax.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom