• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Berserk and the Band of the Hawk |OT| The Golden Age

Honestly I'm a bit confused at the reception it's getting. As a Berserk fan, I'm enjoying it quite a lot so far. I really feel like I'm playing through the battles in the manga and the musou structure seems to work well with it.

I'm not really sure what people were expecting either. Why people thought this would be like a $30 game to hate the price or complain about common things that have been a thing of musou games since they existed or the other stuff I just don't get. Add on top of that the need of people who were clearly never interested/going to buy this game to make sure they say that they lost a sale over X element that was never not going to be like they wanted or thought it should be like dark souls which has combat that could not be more polar opposite to what Berserk is like. Oh well.

Does the PC version of this at least function? Like, does it have random fucking crashes / graphical glitches / fucked up shit like other T-K games?

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Showed up out of nowhere and I can't see anyone but dedicated Berserk fans getting this for this price. I got the game AND the fucking DLC. LOOOOOVVVVVEEEE me some Berserk.

I mean, it is pretty easy, there's not a lot of depth, and I know how the story is going to proceed, but I'm just super glad to have a Berserk game released in the West that people have a chance of playing.

KyleCross

Best Buy was suppose to fucking get my copy to me today, but it has been stuck several states above me for the past 18 hours. Hasn't moved. Release day delivery my ass.

Some weird ass prompts when you load up the game. Why is it asking if I want to start in easy? Do they think that little of berserk fans lol

Yeah, I was utterly confused by that pop up.

Do they think people are playing it just for the story.....? It makes no sense though considering you'd probably have to know the Berserk story in the first place to be interested in this!

Most of the Musou games do that, prompts you when you first start if you want to play on Easy. Honestly, Easy is the best way to play them too as they're very repetitive and higher difficulty only makes it more so. I believe most Musou games don't even have difficulty trophies.

I went in expecting to hate the game, but it's a lot of fun. I'm not going to lie and say it's the best game that's ever graced the PS4, but it's a nice break from more "technical" games. Sometimes it's nice to just sit back, have a beer, mash some buttons, and cut some dudes in half. If you enjoy Berserk and/or Musou, I'd recommend it.

jrcbandit

So is the gore now decent once you turn it on (weird that it isn't turned on by default)? Aside from the 60 fps lock, is the PC version relatively good? I sort of like Musou games and love Berserk (let's pretend the latest anime season doesn't exist though...)

How's the content? Modes? Really tempted

I've only played a few missions, but you unlock Free Play and something called Endless Eclipse upon beating the first mission. I think Endless Eclipse is some kind of survivor mode?

Is there lots of gore? I heard that was a complaint with the Japanese version, the lack of gore. Also, is the PC version any good this time? I sort of like Musou games and I love Berserk, aside from the horrible most recent anime season.

There are generic blood splatters when you hit enemies, but when you enter Frenzy mode, you start chopping stuff in half. I also bought the PC version, but it's still installing for me at the moment.

So is the gore now decent once you turn it on (weird that it isn't turned on by default)? Aside from the 60 fps lock, is the PC version relatively good? I sort of like Musou games and love Berserk (let's pretend the latest anime season doesn't exist though...)
Dudes get shredded in Frenzy mode, tons of dismemberment

It's just not super apparent with everything going on, but look at the ground and you see limbs everywhere

Gamefaqs seems to indicate the US version is missing dlc. Any truth to this?
Probably referring to the controversial Casca PTSD wet shirt DLC

derFeef

Would the story be a good introduction to Berserk actually? I was always kinda interested in the Manga, but never actually managed to read it.

fake edit: I would do a short OT but I do know nothing about Berserk :(
fake edit2: I updated the OT a little bit with more info from the video and an image, maybe a mod can chime in an rename the thread title - any suggestions?
late edit 3: asked a mod about title change and added some more bits! :)

Are the costumes DLC just costumes? I mean they don't add new movesets or any gameplay element like One Piece Pirate Warriors 3 DLC? If not I'm not gonna buy them.

Zafir

I'm not really sure what people were expecting either. Why people thought this would be like a $30 game to hate the price or complain about common things that have been a thing of musou games since they existed or the other stuff I just don't get. Add on top of that the need of people who were clearly never interested/going to buy this game to make sure they say that they lost a sale over X element that was never not going to be like they wanted or thought it should be like dark souls which has combat that could not be more polar opposite to what Berserk is like. Oh well.
I mean, the price on Steam is dear. £50 (£45 with 10% off) and €60 (€54 with 10% off) is really fucking expensive for a PC game.

It doesn't matter that it costs a similar price to the console version, the markets are different and expectations are different. Here in the UK it's actually cheaper on PS4, laughably.

More over Tecmo Koei games have the issue of there being very little competition too. Other games usually have a lot of resellers so competition drives the price down, you don't get that with their games since they're sold at limited stores so you're stuck with RRP. Which by the way, no retail store charges RRP in the UK(which is why the PS4 version is cheaper).

I still bought it, but I COMPLETELY understand peoples complaints at the price. Tecmo Koei have been consistently pricing their PC ports at a ridiculous price. To add more salt into the wound the ports generally aren't that great anyway.

Does the PC version of this at least function? Like, does it have random fucking crashes / graphical glitches / fucked up shit like other T-K games?

Through 6 hours of playtime it's mainly been performance issues. I had one problem where I got an endless loading screen, forcing me to do a quite long mission over again, but that's only happened once.

Auraela

Banned
port is solid for me so far and on an ssd the game loads instantly into levels etc.

i love how when you hit a wall in game it gets slices in the strucxture etc quite a cool little added extra over previous warriors games. combat seems actually pretty fluid and im prefering it over recent dynasty warriors. i like the item enhancement system reminds me of the old dynasty warriors items but instead of having to farm hours for that +20 once you get one you like you can spend materials upgrading it.

this is from someone who was rank 6th on the leaderboard on dynasty warriors 8 on ps4 so ive spent plenty of hours with these games.

if your a fan of warriors games id happily say give it a shot seeing mobs splatter in front of you really adds to the overall combat of a warriors game.

JayEH

Played for a bit and I have to say I enjoy it quite a bit. Mindless fun. Guts feels really good to control and his swings feel right most importantly. Griffith was also fun but casca felt awful, doubt I'd use her again.

Would the story be a good introduction to Berserk actually? I was always kinda interested in the Manga, but never actually managed to read it.

fake edit: I would do a short OT but I do know nothing about Berserk :(
fake edit2: I updated the OT a little bit with more info from the video and an image, maybe a mod can chime in an rename the thread title - any suggestions?
late edit 3: asked a mod about title change and added some more bits! :)

This really isn't a good intro to the story. It's very rushed and the game is obviously on a tight budget so anything outside the scenes taken straight from the movies aren't good.

Rizzi

Doesn't seem to run particularly great on my pc unless I turn environments to low, and even then it's a bit iffy in spots.

Kaibutsu

I searched and couldn't find one but is there no official thread for this game? Anyway, has anyone else run into the NP-32136-5 error "Can't Sync Trophies"? I unlocked two trophies last night and for whatever reason it will not sync them to the server. I did a google search and apparently other people are having the same issue?

Sölf

So, how long until modders add more gore and nuditiy to give us the definitive Berserk feeling?

That aside, I totally forgot this will release. I will probably buy this as my first Musou game.

EVEN THOUGH SKULL KNIGHT SEEMS TO NOT BE PLAYABLE!!!!11

ffvorax

Looks it is better than expected at last, still I won't buy it dayone at full price, because its a musou...

But it's in my wishlist, going to get it on the first nice discount! :) (lets say 39€)

derFeef

I searched and couldn't find one but is there no official thread for this game? Anyway, has anyone else run into the NP-32136-5 error "Can't Sync Trophies"? I unlocked two trophies last night and for whatever reason it will not sync them to the server. I did a google search and apparently other people are having the same issue?

This kinda is. I updated the OP a bit and asked a mod to rename it. On the other hand I could just repost it?

KyleCross

It's the Casca DLC that caused a lot of controversy. There is, however, some DLC of her wearing Guts' shirt, which I think is a nice middle ground.

Controversal or not, we should still have gotten it. It's always shitty to lose content, no matter how questionable that content might be.

Controversal or not, we should still have gotten it. It's always shitty to lose content, no matter how questionable that content might be.

I'm not saying I'm happy it got cut. I don't know what they think would happen. When people buy something Berserk related, they usually know what they're in for lol. There wouldn't be some huge backlash.

Problems detecting my TV resolutions, variable fps, weird crashes, no m+kb support. Honestly I'm done with Koei Tecmo, ended up refunding it, Atelier Sophie and Nights of Azure. After all this time they keep fucking PC releases so I can't deal with their shit anymore. Maybe when(if) Nioh comes I'll take a look at their releases again.

I'm not saying I'm happy it got cut. I don't know what they think would happen. When people buy something Berserk related, they usually know what they're in for lol. There wouldn't be some huge backlash.
People have been really upset about the usage of Eclipse imagery in the game and its marketing, when in reality it's treating it with as much care and eroticism as the manga itself

It's super gross with context to have "preorder now for Casca wet shirt DLC" but it's coming from the manga that brings you "oops! Casca was clumsy and her shirt fell off ;)", as well as the like 19 pages of basically hentai depicting the events

A good friend of mine who is a gigantic musou fan said this is one of the laziest and shittiest Musou games he's played in years and perhaps one of the worst they've ever made. He hated it and he likes even a lot of lesser Musou games and is also a fairly big Berserk fan.

i wonder what is his opinion of the first Fist of the North Star? I thought it was hideous but still found great enjoyment out of it and the intro cutscene always gets me pumped :D

Docpan

Forgot this game had PS4 pro support.

Definitely runs at what I'm assuming to be 60fps on pro. The issue I see, however, is that it looks like a lot of the animations were captured at 30fps so the effect can look jarring sometimes. Play it and you'll see what I mean, it's definitely not dropped frames most of the time.

The menus are all in UHD. For some reason, 2160p fonts and art assets look really good.

Textures mostly look like shit. Characters use some form of cell shading, which I wasn't expecting but actually looks ok.

Gameplay is classic Musou but with the enhancements you see in some later titles. Basic loot/level up system in place to keep from getting too old. It serves its purpose.

Playing through Golden Age arc is beyond tedious because of how many times we've all been retold the same story over and over, which as you know is only a small chunk of Berserk lore.

Hoping that post GoldenAge content in this is actually substantial.

Top Bottom