• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Berserk and the Band of the Hawk |OT| The Golden Age

Kaibutsu

Griffith condones rape, the destruction of the planet, and feeds himself off the inhumane treatment of the greater populace. He is a card-carrying member of the GOP.

Don't forget he literally
had every one of his friends & loved ones horribly killed by monsters
and that was only one of his minor sins...

Kaibutsu

It's not a problem per se, trophies can't be synced until the game is officially out. They might just have the toggle set for friday for the PAL release or later today.

interesting... i guess i'll wait and see if the problem fixes itself in the next day or so. Pretty shitty since the game was out yesterday in the US. I already emailed tecmo koei earlier this morning so i'll see if they say the same thing

I'm not really sure what people were expecting either. Why people thought this would be like a $30 game to hate the price or complain about common things that have been a thing of musou games since they existed or the other stuff I just don't get. Add on top of that the need of people who were clearly never interested/going to buy this game to make sure they say that they lost a sale over X element that was never not going to be like they wanted or thought it should be like dark souls which has combat that could not be more polar opposite to what Berserk is like. Oh well.

I know that but there are still tiers of Musou game. Is this on the level of Hyrule Warriors or is it more of Fist?

I like all the games honestly but I can see where people would be upset/annoyed based of the content of the game. If that is indeed the case.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I know that but there are still tiers of Musou game. Is this on the level of Hyrule Warriors or is it more of Fist?

I like all the games honestly but I can see where people would be upset/annoyed based of the content of the game. If that is indeed the case.

Its nowhere close to the level of Hyrule. Its probably about the same level of FotN

Some thoughts:

I really like how the game looks. Some of the in game cutscenes don't look great and the framerate is whatever, but seeing the game in motion looks really cool

I'm not the biggest fan of the Golden Age arc (I got into the series for the demon slaying) but it works so well in this game. Instead of reading a bunch of battles and conflicts I'm not totally invested in while the important character moments are happening, you just get the character moments with your partners in between missions (which consist of "kill the bad guys"). It just feels like an in-game party to compliment the gameplay

I'm still relatively early in the game but the Berserk license and spectacle are easily enough to carry it for me

Why hasn't a solid dev team beg to make this series into an Action rpg, imagine if cd projekt had this game and did the magic they have done to witcher series to berserk

wishful thinking.

AlucardGV

Banned
Don't forget he literally
had every one of his friends & loved ones horribly killed by monsters
and that was only one of his minor sins...
He
doesnt consider them as friends, he says that when talking to the princess and it's what push gatsu to leave

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Why hasn't a solid dev team beg to make this series into an Action rpg, imagine if cd projekt had this game and did the magic they have done to witcher series to berserk

wishful thinking.

I'd rather a developer more competent in action gameplay would take on Berserk.

Kaibutsu

He
doesnt consider them as friends, he says that when talking to the princess and it's what push gatsu to leave

true that is what he said but we all know that to become God Hand (edit: or even an Apostle. edit2: i guess to become an Apostle it doesn't have to be something you love but just something that makes you human, I stand by the God Hand comment though) you have to sacrifice something you love so while he said that I don't think he meant it

Kaibutsu

Apparently they are aware of the trophy syncing issue
6ocYcPE.jpg

jrcbandit

I've been having fun with the game, but I could see how a Musou veteran could get easily bored. I've only played Hyrule Warriors significantly so the Musou formula isn't as stale for me. I was going to pass entirely on the game when I thought we were getting a gore-light Berserk game which didn't make any sense for the series, why did the Japanese release tone it down so much for human enemies?

Uthred

Played it, the prologue is total dogshit, but it certainly picks up after that. Its very much a musou but its fairly fun. The last musou I played was DW 8 so it feels "new" enough to me. PC releases have trained the consumer to expect a lower price point so the cost of it on Steam certainly is a sticking point. That said I'll probably get my moneys worth out of it.

wishful thinking.

The combat in the Witcher 3 is worse than the combat in even the shittiest musou game.

Played it, the prologue is total dogshit, but it certainly picks up after that. Its very much a musou but its fairly fun. The last musou I played was DW 8 so it feels "new" enough to me. PC releases have trained the consumer to expect a lower price point so the cost of it on Steam certainly is a sticking point. That said I'll probably get my moneys worth out of it.

The combat in the Witcher 3 is worse than the combat in even the shittiest musou game.

Fuse the combat of FOR HONOR into a berserk game and the RPG of a witcher game, bing bang boom. (I really enjoyed shadows of mordor combat too so it could be like that as well)

I've got about 15ish hours put in since it released yesterday and here are some thoughts

-Yes this is a musou game but the bosses are very different. For instance the first boss you fight (the guy who inspired a certain fan favorite Dark Souls character) requires you to use the games lock on system, to dodge and pick your spots. Is this game's combat like DS/BB/Nioh? No. But when it comes to bosses you need to learn patterns and pick your spots

-Performance seems solid (playing on PS4 Pro). I haven't really noticed any slow down even when carving up 50+ enemies with one swing and my screen being covered with blood (not saying there isn't dropped frames, simply saying if there is I don't' perceive them)

-Guts plays exactly like one would think he should. He wields a massive sword which should be a tad slow. In previous warriors games even characters with big weapons were pretty fast. Xiahou Dun I'm looking at you. But guys feels slow, lumbering but Lu Bu levels of crowd clear.

-The cut scenes are yanked straight from the movies (at least most of them are, I just watched them the night before the game launched) the subs are different than what the english dub was but they were pretty heavily edited.

All in all I'm loving this game. I had never watched Berserk until i watched the movies a few nights ago but very very much enjoyed it. If you aren't a fan of musou/warriors games this probably isn't going to change your mind (but it might because bosses fights aren't just mindless button mashing)

Kinda OT, but if I wanted to get into the anime/story of Berserk, where would be the best place to start? One of the movies? The original anime? Any specific arc?

MiguelItUp

Kinda OT, but if I wanted to get into the anime/story of Berserk, where would be the best place to start? One of the movies? The original anime? Any specific arc?

Personally, I'd recommend the original anime and then the manga if you're down. A LOT of material there. I'm not even completely caught up, unfortunately. But I'll get there soon enough! The movies and new series are cool if you just want more Berserk, but man, they could've been so much better. I accept them because I just want more Berserk. I'd rather have more than none.

I've got about 15ish hours put in since it released yesterday and here are some thoughts

-Yes this is a musou game but the bosses are very different. For instance the first boss you fight (the guy who inspired a certain fan favorite Dark Souls character) requires you to use the games lock on system, to dodge and pick your spots. Is this game's combat like DS/BB/Nioh? No. But when it comes to bosses you need to learn patterns and pick your spots

-Performance seems solid (playing on PS4 Pro). I haven't really noticed any slow down even when carving up 50+ enemies with one swing and my screen being covered with blood (not saying there isn't dropped frames, simply saying if there is I don't' perceive them)

-Guts plays exactly like one would think he should. He wields a massive sword which should be a tad slow. In previous warriors games even characters with big weapons were pretty fast. Xiahou Dun I'm looking at you. But guys feels slow, lumbering but Lu Bu levels of crowd clear.

-The cut scenes are yanked straight from the movies (at least most of them are, I just watched them the night before the game launched) the subs are different than what the english dub was but they were pretty heavily edited.

All in all I'm loving this game. I had never watched Berserk until i watched the movies a few nights ago but very very much enjoyed it. If you aren't a fan of musou/warriors games this probably isn't going to change your mind (but it might because bosses fights aren't just mindless button mashing)

but guts is fast af

JayEH

Trophies looked to be synced now.

The manga is the only way to get the complete uncut story. Every adaptation has cut material for one reason or another. If you're not into reading the best adaption so far is the 1997 anime but that only covers 1 arc.

Maybe it will change later on and he will speed up. but he isn't overly fast. Griffith on the other hand, is overly fast.

Personally I think the speed he's shown to have in the manga is exaggerated a bit, to show how much faster he is than the normal human being. I feel the way he moves in the game is pretty spot on to how I would imagine him to move - especially with you pair it with the dash/dodge mechanic.

Pretty sure you swing a bit faster in frenzy mode and as you unlock more combos, his ability becomes more apparent.

Gulz1992

I might pick this game up when the price drops to around $20. I'm not the biggest fan of Dynasty Warriors gameplay, and as great as the Berserk manga is, I just can't justify spending $60 on this. Nor do I really have the time right now, anyway.

wishful thinking.

Dragon's Dogma is pretty much the closest thing we have to that kind of game. Admittedly, we already have video games that probably give better Berserk experiences than the actual Berserk games ever will.

You want to play a game that captures the feel of the Golden Age and Millennium Falcon arcs, along with the monster-slaying and RPG elements of Berserk? Play Dragon's Dogma.

You want to play a game that captures the bleak and oppressive atmosphere of the Black Swordsman and Conviction arcs? Play Dark Souls or Bloodborne.

You want to play a game filled with intense gore and stars a lone man marked by destiny to fight through Hell and purge the world of horrific demons by murdering them in extremely horrifying ways using overpowered weapons and a gleefully blunt, sadistic and bloodthirsty combat method, who has no patience for bullshit, politics, or people inventing self-excuses and deals with problems by smashing his way through them? Who also has the ability to go into a berserker rage, becoming incredibly dangerous for as long as it lasts? Play Doom 2016.

Pejo

How many playable characters are in this? I seem to remember the last time I checked, it was a paltry few.

I love the misinformation with this game now that I boot it up.

IT DOES NOT DEFAULT TO EASY MODE

IT DOES NOT DEFAULT TO GORE BEING TURNED OFF

It prompts you for both at startup which people kept asking why it doesn't and if you button mash through it, the cursor is highlighting the selection so that it starts on NORMAL difficulty and with gore turn ON.

JPS Kai

Trophy syncing doesn't have anything to do with the game being out. There are times when the data just doesn't get uploaded to Sony's databases in time.

Most recently, Ys Origin's trophies only went live a day or so before the release date yet there's a certain March release I'm working on that already has the trophy support working as intended.

true that is what he said but we all know that to become God Hand (edit: or even an Apostle. edit2: i guess to become an Apostle it doesn't have to be something you love but just something that makes you human, I stand by the God Hand comment though) you have to sacrifice something you love so while he said that I don't think he meant it

He outright states in that same discussion that he would need to deem someone as equal to him to consider them a friend. That's why when Guts beats him so easily in their second duel he falls apart and takes out his insecurities on Charlotte, causing the whole downfall to begin. He's forced to realize he is not who he thought he was and that he was losing the only friend he ever had at the same time.

I think GAF generally regards cdkeys.com as legit, right? They are selling this game on Steam for 42.19 USD. If you go to their Facebook page you can get an additional 5% off, bringing the total to just about $40 USD.

fionel

I might pick this game up when the price drops to around $20. I'm not the biggest fan of Dynasty Warriors gameplay, and as great as the Berserk manga is, I just can't justify spending $60 on this. Nor do I really have the time right now, anyway.

Dragon's Dogma is pretty much the closest thing we have to that kind of game. Admittedly, we already have video games that probably give better Berserk experiences than the actual Berserk games ever will.

You want to play a game that captures the feel of the Golden Age and Millennium Falcon arcs, along with the monster-slaying and RPG elements of Berserk? Play Dragon's Dogma.

You want to play a game that captures the bleak and oppressive atmosphere of the Black Swordsman and Conviction arcs? Play Dark Souls or Bloodborne.

You want to play a game filled with intense gore and stars a lone man marked by destiny to fight through Hell and purge the world of horrific demons by murdering them in extremely horrifying ways using overpowered weapons and a gleefully blunt, sadistic and bloodthirsty combat method, who has no patience for bullshit, politics, or people inventing self-excuses and deals with problems by smashing his way through them? Who also has the ability to go into a berserker rage, becoming incredibly dangerous for as long as it lasts? Play Doom 2016.

I approve of this post.

Loving the game so far but then again, I'm a sucker for Musou games lol.

Just passed the Zodd fight and the funny thing about that fight is that I fought him like I would in a Nioh boss fight lol.

Prototype

Loving this game.

But as far as this genre goes, nothing comes close to the feel of Fist of the North Star. It had this very weighty feel and impact.

But other than that I'm loving every sec. playing a berserk game. What a time.

Loving this game.

But as far as this genre goes, nothing comes close to the feel of Fist of the North Star. It had this very weighty feel and impact.

But other than that I'm loving every sec. playing a berserk game. What a time.

If someone had told me 2 years ago that we'd be getting a Berserk game on the PS4/Vita, I'd call them a liar and key their car for playing with my emotions.

Soooo this is crashing on launch for me on PC, both in compatibility mode and not. Any ideas?

edit: seem to have got it working in windowed mode. But I can't get the controller (DS4) to be recognized.

Top Bottom