• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Berserk |OT| - Big men, bigger swords, OFF THE BOAT - Berserk #344 24/6/2016

Izcarielo

Banned
I dont know how many times have i read Berserk always reaching the last fantranslated chapter. I mean in these past years i may have read the whole saga 4/5 times and then i start to forget it because no new chapters are available and i cant continue.
Will this time be different? Is the end of Berserk near? Because i just want to read it from the beginning to end with no hitches!

Necrovex

Yeah I just saw the raw and it's not really action packed.

Good to see Griffith again though

Is it bad that I like Berserk when it isn't focusing on pure action? I need to start catching up on my Berserk. But it's so hard after stating I wouldn't read it until Guts arrived on Fairy Island.

benzy

Anyone else got the Real Action Heroes Guts figure? This thing is awesome. You can take the face off and move with eyes around.

dsc_0473d2kgi.jpg

dsc_0487kjjap.jpg

dsc_0479l7km2.jpg

That looks pretty awesome. I still regret not getting the Berserker Armor figma. Maybe there'll be a reissue sometime or something.

TnK

Anyone else got the Real Action Heroes Guts figure? This thing is awesome. You can take the face off and move with eyes around.

dsc_0473d2kgi.jpg

dsc_0487kjjap.jpg

dsc_0479l7km2.jpg

Nope, I somewhat dislike the cloth on this line figures, though Guts looks amazing. Also, one reason I mainly stay away is that they are pretty $$-ly.
I have these though:

Was thinking of maybe getting Caska down the line as well.

benzy

That looks pretty awesome. I still regret not getting the Berserker Armor figma. Maybe there'll be a reissue sometime or something.

Same here, the Berserker Figma looks amazing. They're making a Femto one soon, hopefully the price doesn't spike up quickly after release.

wonder-festival-2014-winter-max-factory-figma+%252869%2529.jpg

Nope, I somewhat dislike the cloth on this line figures, though Guts looks amazing. Also, one reason I mainly stay away is that they are pretty $$-ly.
I have these though:

Was thinking of maybe getting Caska down the line as well.

Yeah, Guts is the only RAH figure I have, probably will be the only one as well. He was still pretty expensive even at 45% off on amiami. The Figmas are also great, I think they're planning on making all of the God Hand.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Just for clarification, there's still no news regarding a new anime series correct? Do you think they will ever go back and continue the story from where the original series left off?

mcz117chief

Just for clarification, there's still no news regarding a new anime series correct? Do you think they will ever go back and continue the story from where the original series left off?

They can't continue it, thanks to the 1st episode.

4th sentence in the 1st episode "I can't take it, ever since Griffith became king I lost all hope."

You really can't work with that, they would have to redub this sentence, which is no trouble I guess. I would also love to see the anime continue, all the changes they did to the story are so much better than the original manga.

fertygo

They can't continue it, thanks to the 1st episode.

4th sentence in the 1st episode "I can't take it, ever since Griffith became king I lost all hope."

You really can't work with that, they would have to redub this sentence, which is no trouble I guess. I would also love to see the anime continue, all the changes they did to the story are so much better than the original manga.

But the anime don't have the Black Dog fight.

Uthred

I dont know how many times have i read Berserk always reaching the last fantranslated chapter. I mean in these past years i may have read the whole saga 4/5 times and then i start to forget it because no new chapters are available and i cant continue.
Will this time be different? Is the end of Berserk near? Because i just want to read it from the beginning to end with no hitches!

Unlikely, IIRC Mirua said the "Magic World" arc was about the halfway point. We'll be lucky if he finishes it in his/our lifetime.

mcz117chief

Unlikely, IIRC Mirua said the "Magic World" arc was about the halfway point. We'll be lucky if he finishes it in his/our lifetime.

I feel really sorry for all the Berserk fans who die before this whole series finishes :/
I really hope he will get his stuff together and start to conclude the story, it is about time !

Maybe not from where the original series left off, but they can always continue from the end of the last film. I believe in the extra features on the third Blu-Ray they pretty much confirmed that more of the story is coming. Whether it be in the form of more movies, OVAs, or a new series, is still unknown.

lonely

Okay Berserk Gaf my borther is a massive Berserk fan so I wanted to get him something special for his birthday. I found this issue of Young Animal on Ebay and before I buy it can someone confirm for me that it has the chapter of Berserk from when it resumed.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Japan-YOUNG-ANIMAL-2014-No-8-Rev-from-DVL-Kanna-Hashimoto-w-Book-marker/321405884196?_trksid=p2045573.c100033.m2042&_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D22048%26meid%3D7270966754677081551%26pid%3D100033%26prg%3D9537%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D4%26sd%3D321405884196

Uthred

Anyone have any poor luck with Art of War figures? I picked up a "blood" version but it looks nothing like the picture the "blood" effect is washed out and it looks like it was dumped on rather than painted on.

Okay Berserk Gaf my borther is a massive Berserk fan so I wanted to get him something special for his birthday. I found this issue of Young Animal on Ebay and before I buy it can someone confirm for me that it has the chapter of Berserk from when it resumed.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Japan-YOUNG-ANIMAL-2014-No-8-Rev-from-DVL-Kanna-Hashimoto-w-Book-marker/321405884196?_trksid=p2045573.c100033.m2042&_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D22048%26meid%3D7270966754677081551%26pid%3D100033%26prg%3D9537%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D4%26sd%3D321405884196

What day is his birthday?

My god, I started this. Am on #140-ish now.

You didn't tell me... You guys didn't tell me it would be this sick and twisted. The Lady Inquisitor.. that is some dark shit.

But what amazes me the most is Puck. I normally hate characters like this, but there is something light hearted about it, and even when he breaks the fourth wall I'm in it. I feel the warmth of the cute portrayal. I don't know how I feel about the kid Ishi something.

There is something loose and sketchy over the art, but he is good at making speed lines. I don't think it handles the passing of time very well though. It was completely oblivious to me that suddenly 2 years had passed between he left Casca did the bee-elf misty mountain thing and returned. It felt more like a couple of weeks. Maybe I missed something or read a bad translation. Just a minor thing!

Obviously I love it. This is imensely satisfying. I feel like I have been allowed to go to a party that not many people get to go too. But the perversion is really crazy. The horse rape, the pagan orgies.. There is so many direct middle ages parallels (Plauge, witch burning, Christendom hunting pagans). It's strange.

I don't get the skull knight either. I don't understand what he is and why. I guess I will find out. It makes me sad that Casca has lost her memory. It's hard to read and deal with.

LaneDS

On a whim last week I decided to order the Berserker Armor Figma and am super amped for that to arrive. Trying to decide if I want to display that on the desk at work or keep my Berserk love less well-advertised and keep it at home.

Anyone own one of the Art of War Berserker Armor statues? Seen a few pictures online and some of those are totally incredible looking but hadn't ever seen one for sale.

LaneDS

From eBay. Slightly lower price ($130+shipping) than I was seeing at most other places but definitely still a lot for that kind of thing.

Astarte

I got my berserker figma recently from mandarake for $60 including shipping. Didn't include the manga though :[

My god, I started this. Am on #140-ish now.

You didn't tell me... You guys didn't tell me it would be this sick and twisted. The Lady Inquisitor.. that is some dark shit.

But what amazes me the most is Puck. I normally hate characters like this, but there is something light hearted about it, and even when he breaks the fourth wall I'm in it. I feel the warmth of the cute portrayal. I don't know how I feel about the kid Ishi something.

There is something loose and sketchy over the art, but he is good at making speed lines. I don't think it handles the passing of time very well though. It was completely oblivious to me that suddenly 2 years had passed between he left Casca did the bee-elf misty mountain thing and returned. It felt more like a couple of weeks. Maybe I missed something or read a bad translation. Just a minor thing!

Obviously I love it. This is imensely satisfying. I feel like I have been allowed to go to a party that not many people get to go too. But the perversion is really crazy. The horse rape, the pagan orgies.. There is so many direct middle ages parallels (Plauge, witch burning, Christendom hunting pagans). It's strange.

I don't get the skull knight either. I don't understand what he is and why. I guess I will find out. It makes me sad that Casca has lost her memory. It's hard to read and deal with.

They kind of spell it out for you in Volume 11 or 12 who he is. You definitely have gotten to that part.

It's implied that he is
Gaiseric the first Midland emperor from 1000 years ago. From him being destroyed by "Angels", to the man who was imprisoned by him being the one to summon the angels(the man was presumably Void), to him being described wearing a skull helmet into battle everything pretty much fits. You can read about it here. http://berserk.wikia.com/wiki/Gaiseric

Was sick this week, so finally got around to watching the Berserk anime. I've been meaning to for awhile, after initially hearing that it inspired a lot of Dark Souls.

Wow. What an experience. One of those shows that continues to pervade your thoughts long after watching. I had some rather disturbing dreams last night, after watching the final two episodes.

Now I need to start on the manga. (Although I feel that rereading about the same drawn out battles that I saw in the anime might get a big tiresome for those particular issues. So maybe I'll wait for a bit, so they are fresh again.)

LaneDS

Was sick this week, so finally got around to watching the Berserk anime. I've been meaning to for awhile, after initially hearing that it inspired a lot of Dark Souls.

Wow. What an experience. One of those shows that continues to pervade your thoughts long after watching. I had some rather disturbing dreams last night, after watching the final two episodes.

Now I need to start on the manga. (Although I feel that rereading about the same drawn out battles that I saw in the anime might get a big tiresome for those particular issues. So maybe I'll wait for a bit, so they are fresh again.)

You'll find that the manga is much more Dark/Demon's Souls than either the anime or the movies, as the bulk of it takes place after the ending of the anime where things are much more grim. You could pretty easily start reading the manga right around when the anime ends and not miss too many important bits, as it's not all that complicated of a story when you get down to it. Try not to read too much in this thread to remain unspoiled because there are some really incredible moments to be had!

You'll find that the manga is much more Dark/Demon's Souls than either the anime or the movies, as the bulk of it takes place after the ending of the anime where things are much more grim. You could pretty easily start reading the manga right around when the anime ends and not miss too many important bits, as it's not all that complicated of a story when you get down to it. Try not to read too much in this thread to remain unspoiled because there are some really incredible moments to be had!

Cool, looking forward to it! I will avoid reading through this thread much until I get through the manga.

Ambitious

Cool, looking forward to it! I will avoid reading through this thread much until I get through the manga.

I disagree with him. If you ask me, it's definitely worth to start reading from the beginning. There are many great moments not covered by the anime.

After I had finished the anime back then, I started reading the manga from the beginning just a day after and loved every second of it.

I disagree with him. If you ask me, it's definitely worth to start reading from the beginning. There are many great moments not covered by the anime.

After I had finished the anime back then, I started reading the manga from the beginning just a day after and loved every second of it.

Yep, entirely worth going through the whole thing, as I stated in the OP.

LaneDS

Didn't say I recommended reading from post-eclipse, just said that he could get away with it. Reading from the start would of course be ideal but if he's burnt out on the Golden Age stuff, that's one way to deal with it. First time I touched the manga I did the same and had no problem picking up the bits I missed (eventually re-read the whole thing and enjoyed it plenty).

I definitely still plan on reading the whole thing, I just think I'll take a few weeks break before diving in. Probably mainly because I watched the entire anime in three days...(hey, I was home sick!)

Korosenai

I thought this went back to begin monthly when it came back from hiatus... it's been almost two months now since the last chapter :(

Erigu

I thought this went back to begin monthly when it came back from hiatus...
Berserk is actually supposed to be semimonthly, not monthly, and they never said anything about going back to that, unfortunately.
The next episode is supposed to be published soon-ish (this Summer or so), but there's no guarantee.

Kevin

I got to say, those figures are really awesome. Without even looking I'd imagine they are super expensive. Berserk is awesome though. :)

LaneDS

I am almost so cynical about this series(' release schedule) that I have trouble getting excited for a single chapter release.

Top Bottom