• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Berserk |OT| - Big men, bigger swords, OFF THE BOAT - Berserk #344 24/6/2016

Nibel

I still buy every issue, but the series is shit. The art has become obsessive instead of stylish and clear. Every page is a chore to go through. The writing is fucking horrible (which wasn't a big problem before because the focus was in the world, monsters and grimdark).

Sigh.

This current chapter is the exact opposite of this paragraph

And god forbid that there are some lighthearted elements for once; the whole series is still fucking dark and there's plenty of dark shit going on despite there being more heroes now

Vice

I think this series went to shit when Guts met with the little witch and the series became Guts and his happy friends instead of Guts and the horrible world.

I still buy every issue, but the series is shit. The art has become obsessive instead of stylish and clear. Every page is a chore to go through. The writing is fucking horrible (which wasn't a big problem before because the focus was in the world, monsters and grimdark).

Sigh.

Remember what happened the last time Guts had a good life surrounded by friends.

Betty

Banned
I don't know what manga you are reading, but the world is still disgustingly horrible. The kids have very much a similar role as his war buddies in earlier parts. They are part comical relief, part giving Guts something to keep a touch of his humanity & having something to fight for. There's still plenty of horrible stuff happening.

Casca fills that role already though... plus Puck is enough comedy relief to fill several side characters. I also don't remember the band of the hawk being anywhere near as irritating as Guts' current entourage. I can't stand any of them and feel they drag both the story and Guts down, I'd actually cheer if another Eclipse scenario happened but to them instead.

I just hope we reach Elfhelm before another hiatus.

Famassu

Casca fills that role already though...
Casca is mentally in an almost vegetable like state, she's not much company or help to Guts.

plus Puck is enough comedy relief to fill several side characters.
Puck isn't human, though. I think human interaction is something Guts needs and the human interaction he needs can't come from people like who he has known before, since he probably wouldn't want to get close to another group of adult men (and women) after what happened to the previous ones. The kids are just innocent, needy and/or pushy enough to get through to him, kind of like bringing out a somewhat of a fatherly side out of Guts (as fatherly as he can possibly be). For any other adult male, he would just say fuck it, you are grown-ass people, take care of yourself, but the two kids probably don't quite seem strong/mature enough to have a chance in the world without an adult in their lives, so he lets them tag along. Plus they aren't the most incompetent bunch of kids to have around (well, at least the witch girl isn't).

I also don't remember the band of the hawk being anywhere near as irritating as Guts' current entourage. I can't stand any of them and feel they drag both the story and Guts down
Eh, I'd say that one man constantly complaining about Guts was more annoying than the kids. I dunno, do you generally hate children? I don't and neither am I that hard to really irritate (in real life, at least, some stupid shit in the Internet seems to have stronger hold over me... >_>; ), so I don't mind them two. And I don't really see what's so hateable in the witch girl, she's just trying to look out for Guts and be a bit of a voice of reason amidst him using the Berserk armor and all that causes.

Betty

Banned
Casca is mentally in an almost vegetable like state, she's not much company or help to Guts.

You said "something to keep in touch of his humanity and something to fight for" which I feel Casca pretty much exemplifies.

Famassu said:
Puck isn't human, though. I think human interaction is something Guts needs and the human interaction he needs can't come from people like who he has known before, since he probably wouldn't want to get close to another group of adult men (and women) after what happened to the previous ones.

I totally agree he should have human interaction, but just in passing, like the Tower of Conviction arc, y'know those crazy religious freaks, where he helps a bunch of folk out then carries on his way.

Famassu said:
Eh, I'd say that one man constantly complaining about Guts was more annoying than the kids.

Corkus was a jealous asshole, but his determination and eventual loyalty made him really endearing, I'd gladly welcome him back if possible.

Famassu said:
I dunno, do you generally hate children?

Not at all, but like anyone in fiction, unless they serve a purpose, they get very grating, very quickly.

The Witch girl I don't hate, she's fine, but her infatuation and fawning for Guts is cringeworthy at best. But that other kid, the boy, Isidro, is the absolute worst. He's the anime equivalent of Scrappy Doo. An agonizingly useless character who attempts to provoke anyone he comes into contact with but leaves uncle Guts to ultimately take care of them. I still say they're dead weight and if it went back to Guts being a lone wolf I don't think anyone would complain.

MilkBeard

I really need to read Berserk. My first experience with the series was the Dreamcast game Sword of the Berserk: Gut's Rage. It was a really cool game, and some time after that I watched some of the anime which was pretty cool. That was a long time ago though so I don't remember too much about it, other than the fact that it is a really, really mature story and the intro/outro for the anime was particularly memorable.

zoukka

He still draws plenty of clear panels while also having some stuff (city scenery, some batshit insane monster designs etc.) that has insane attention to detail, just like he's always done (though, he has improved, the very early chapters are more clumsily drawn than his drawings nowadays).

Actually if you look at his first go at Berserk (the bonus chapter in one of the earlier volumes), you can see that he has definitely devolved in the clarity part of drawing. Miura was a huge inspiration for me in arts, but nowadays his layouts and panels just give me eye strain.

And the world is still dangerous and twisted, but the new characters and Guts' current situation somehow suck all the danger from it.

Miura is a great comic artist, but he's a bad writer. He should've hired a writer ages ago.

tokkun

Remember what happened the last time Guts had a good life surrounded by friends.

I do remember that.

I remember that the Hawks were adults whose presence seemed natural in the context of the story, and they didn't feel shoe-horned in to appeal certain consumer demographics. The characters served the plot, rather than the plot serving the characters.

I remember that their motivations and reactions seems appropriate to the situations they were in, and that they weren't mugging to the audience or seeming to exist to slake creepy fetishes.

I remember that they actually interacted with Guts and served as a catalyst for substantial development and progress in his character.

At least I still have the memories.

Kvik

A new Berserk chapter! I must be dreaming. What's next, The Last Guardian release date? :-{

I hope to see Guts vs Nosferatu Zodd (proper) in my lifetime, if it all possible :-\

Just got the first volume in the mail and read only a few pages so far. There is a naked little flying boy in it that seems to clash with what I thought the style was after watching the series. It's a bit jarring but I'll probably get used to it.

Tacitus_

Just got the first volume in the mail and read only a few pages so far. There is a naked little flying boy in it that seems to clash with what I thought the style was after watching the series. It's a bit jarring but I'll probably get used to it.

Oh don't mind the elf. The Baron in the castle very much sets the tone for the series.

Ambitious

Once again, I'm trying to find the Collector's Edition of Golden Age Arc 1 (Blu-Ray), but no chance. I'm such an idiot. Back then, I bought it for my sister for Christmas. I had spent a bit much money on presents, so I thought I'd wait a while before buying it for myself. But I forgot to do so.

I was so happy when I found it on amazon.de this morning (Marketplace), but just as I was about to order I noticed they don't send it to my country, only within Germany. Goddammit.

Can't find it neither on other Amazon sites, nor ebay, nor local retailers.

Snaku

Banned
Watched The Advent last night after work. Don't really know how I feel about it. It didn't affect me the same way the original anime did all those years ago, but that's probably because I knew what was going to happen this time. I still really dislike the CG, it's so lifeless at times.

I do hope they do more movies someday.

Puck is a good character, a little irritating at first.

Gut's new band is annoying as hell though and they already splinter the story more than the focus on Griffith's activities.

Are they off the boat yet? I don't want to keep reading until they reach that fucking island.

Tacitus_

Puck is a good character, a little irritating at first.

Gut's new band is annoying as hell though and they already splinter the story more than the focus on Griffith's activities.

Are they off the boat yet? I don't want to keep reading until they reach that fucking island.

Nah, seems like it's Griffith time for now.

Does anyone know if Berserk is out in a version with Hiragana and Furigana? Kanji is too much for me right now, but would love to read Berserk and learn at the same time!

Suen

So after I stopped reading in 2006 I started reading it again last week (and this week, started from the beginning) and it feels like the story has barely progressed. Some fucking crap
on a boat and island
, felt like they could have just skipped all that stuff. I forgot how annoying the fairy characters are as well. They should have never introduced two of them, the one with Guts was enough. I mean he barely contributes anything to the story since ages ago (and probably won't, at least not until they reach their destination) and the female fairy contributes nothing to the story imo. Art is becoming more bothersome to follow although most of it still look quite good.

Be back around 2030. I expect the party to have just
landed on Elfheim then and Rickert to have just met Griffith in Falconia.

I wish I never read this and HxH years ago.

Do you guys ever think that Berserk will ever be adapted to live action?
A film would be alright, but a series would be amazing. HBO should look into it when GOT ends, maybe by then most of the series will be done lol.

I think they can spend at least 2-3 seasons on Golden Age stuff and possibly have multiple POV(like in GOT) if they include Griffith/Casca's past and maybe make one of the Band of the Hawk(Judeau or Corkus would probably be good choices) more important then they are in the source material.

Probably depends on how Monster's adaptation works for HBO, if channels decide to adapt more Japanese stories to the screen.

Necrovex

Do you guys ever think that Berserk will ever be adapted to live action?
A film would be alright, but a series would be amazing. HBO should look into it when GOT ends, maybe by then most of the series will be done lol.

I think they can spend at least 2-3 seasons on Golden Age stuff and possibly have multiple POV(like in GOT) if they include Griffith/Casca's past and maybe make one of the Band of the Hawk(Judeau or Corkus would probably be good choices) more important then they are in the source material.

Probably depends on how Monster's adaptation works for HBO, if channels decide to adapt more Japanese stories to the screen.

We have a better chance of a 26/hr minimum wage than Berserk ending by the time HBO's GoT ends.

Big One

Banned
Could be cool if done right, though a lot of the more unrealistic elements of the series would probably get the axe, like Guts' huge sword.

TnK

I think this series went to shit when Guts met with the little witch and the series became Guts and his happy friends instead of Guts and the horrible world.

Sigh.
I agree and disagree with this. I miss the really dark times in berserk, but at the same time, it is good to see guts going through SOME happy times again.
Don't know if miura is a bad writer. He wrote excellent stuff up until volume 27/28. I sometimes feel that the man had enough with this series and wants to move on to something else.

All the characters do something minus that kid, isidro. Really don't like him.

Haven't properly read berserk since 2006. I do know what is happening though. Hopefully in the grand scale of things, the flow of the story makes sense. If not, the man is really bored of this series it seems.

One of the characters I'm kind of pissed that got killed off was Godo. He pretty much set Guts straight and would have been a cool mentor for him. But at least its better than him getting killed by demons.

LaneDS

One of the characters I'm kind of pissed that got killed off was Godo. He pretty much set Guts straight and would have been a cool mentor for him. But at least its better than him getting killed by demons.

I enjoy how it's been so long since I've read some of this stuff that I completely forget things like this.

Suen

Yeah it kind of sucks he had to go, one of the few who could somehow connect with Guts a bit.

I agree it's nice for Guts to have some happier times, if anything it's a nice little break from what is otherwise a very depressing story but I'd lie if I said I didn't miss the darker parts sometimes. Anyway, for all we know this could be a repeat of the past again, making friendship with new people and losing some/all of them again. That or maybe him and Griffith dies and everyone else survives. At this rate I guess we'll never know.

The golden age arc is still my favorite arc, if anything because of the character development and how you see the group slowly making progress. It was all happy times (mostly) then too. The characters this time aren't as likeable as his previous group but some of them are still fine imo.

Isidro is useless. I hope they tie him in to the story in a way that makes him really relevant soon. Otherwise he's only been a waste of space ever since he was introduced.

mcz117chief

How do you guys feel about the fact that Band of the Hawk has been a mis-translation for all these years and is actually supposed to be Band of the Falcon. It took me a while to get used to it , but now I don't have any problems with it. You ?

Erigu

How do you guys feel about the fact that Band of the Hawk has been a mis-translation for all these years and is actually supposed to be Band of the Falcon.
Hardly a mistranslation: "taka" could mean either.
And the English word "hawk" has been consistently used on official (Japanese) material, too. The only "falcons" I can think of are in the chapter title "Millennium Falcon" (arguably more Lucas than Miura, that one) and the name "Falconia".

mcz117chief

Hardly a mistranslation: "taka" could mean either.
And the English word "hawk" has been consistently used on official (Japanese) material, too. The only "falcons" I can think of are in the chapter title "Millennium Falcon" (arguably more Lucas than Miura, that one) and the name "Falconia".

Yeah, well...
Evil Genius atleast says that it is supposed to be Band of the Falcon and since I don't know Japanese I can't argue with them.

How do you guys feel about the fact that Band of the Hawk has been a mis-translation for all these years and is actually supposed to be Band of the Falcon. It took me a while to get used to it , but now I don't have any problems with it. You ?

Well since I originally read the Spanish version of the manga, many of the English translations put me off a bit.

Skull Knight interview with Miura
Q2: Regarding the kanji "Taka," do you intend that to be Falcon or Hawk? Was there ever a conscious change in its usage, such as after Griffith's reincarnation, or has it always been "falcon" to you?

“Falcon” or “Hawk”, both mean [鷹] in Japanese. In some dictionaries, “Falcon ” is translated as [隼(はやぶさ)] but there’s almost no difference. I used "Falcon" from the great name of the “Millennium Falcon" ship in Star Wars.

taoofjord

I've had a sort of love/hate relationship with the Berserk manga for years. I've started it so many times but have never gotten past book 6 or 7, and often end up stopping after the first. The manga is pretty juvenile and poorly written. But the art is great and when I can look past the writing I really enjoy the world it creates as well as its portrayal of dark fantasy. And keep in mind that I'm a gigantic lover of pulp, adventure, and weird fiction, so I'm certainly able to turn my brain off and enjoy a stupid or fun story. Thank god, I guess, for From Software for giving me my dark fantasy fix that I can't seem to enjoy in Berserk.

I'm curious though, does the writing in Berserk get better as it goes? Maybe it gets to a point where I can stomach it and get some enjoyment from the manga. Perhaps I shouldn't have bought the first 14 books all at once. :p

Korosenai

I've had a sort of love/hate relationship with the Berserk manga for years. I've started it so many times but have never gotten past book 6 or 7, and often end up stopping after the first. The manga is pretty juvenile and poorly written. But the art is great and when I can look past the writing I really enjoy the world it creates as well as its portrayal of dark fantasy. And keep in mind that I'm a gigantic lover of pulp, adventure, and weird fiction, so I'm certainly able to turn my brain off and enjoy a stupid or fun story. Thank god, I guess, for From Software for giving me my dark fantasy fix that I can't seem to enjoy in Berserk.

I'm curious though, does the writing in Berserk get better as it goes? Maybe it gets to a point where I can stomach it and get some enjoyment from the manga. Perhaps I shouldn't have bought the first 14 books all at once. :p

Read to volume 13. If you don't like it by then, you probably won't ever like it.

LaneDS

The writing gets better, but not markedly so. Less juvenile than the early volumes, certainly, but even as a giant fan I'd never say the writing is a high mark for the series. The story and characters, in spite of the writing, are fantastic. It does a lot with a little, in that sense.

The art, however, gets better and better. Stick with it. I love the Souls series but Berserk is king of dark fantasy as far as I'm concerned (and I think Souls is heavily Berserk inspired and better for it).

taoofjord

The writing gets better, but not markedly so. Less juvenile than the early volumes, certainly, but even as a giant fan I'd never say the writing is a high mark for the series. The story and characters, in spite of the writing, are fantastic. It does a lot with a little, in that sense.

The art, however, gets better and better. Stick with it. I love the Souls series but Berserk is king of dark fantasy as far as I'm concerned (and I think Souls is heavily Berserk inspired and better for it).

Yeah, From Software was definitely inspired by Berserk. I mean, in the third volume one of the God Hand straight up says "Dark Souls". Griffith, I think?

Yeah, I suggest you read past 13 to see why Guts wants revenge.

Nibel

Tomorrow is the day brahs

wESLjwy.jpg

TnK

I always tell people to skip books 1-3 cause they are bad. Only thing of significance is guts having puck as a buddy and a behelit. Other than that, everyone should start from book 4 onward. Everything becomes better as you read more btw.

I hope this new chapter is good. Even though I did not continue Berserk proper since 2006, I spoiled the story a lot. I just want to know how
rickert will feel when meeting griffit. Will he get angry, or be deceived?

Tenck

Is the English manga usually up for sale soon after the Japanese one? I've never bought one recently after it comes out, had to buy all of the current ones from some dude on Ebay.

TnK

Is the English manga usually up for sale soon after the Japanese one? I've never bought one recently after it comes out, had to buy all of the current ones from some dude on Ebay.
Should be. I remember volume 37 came out fast after the japanese release.

Top Bottom