• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Berserk |OT| - Big men, bigger swords, OFF THE BOAT - Berserk #344 24/6/2016

Nibel

Updated. If I didn't say '2014' people wouldn't know which August to expect it!

Monster.

Also, there could be some more hype in here! Two-pages of monumental buildings, Griffith finally talking with Rickert and no Guts or Elfheim!

Necrovex

At least there we'll get an ending via GoT. With Berserk there will be fuck all in the ending department.

Guts and his crew will be an hour away from reaching Fairy Island when the ship is attack and finally sinks. His and Caska's body will wash up on shore, but alas, they'll be dead. There's your ending.

Nibel

Read the new chapter, and boy: Griffith is the fucking devil. The army behind is just ridiculous and I have no idea how Guts is supposed to keep up.

Ruuppa

Read the new chapter, and boy: Griffith is the fucking devil. The army behind is just ridiculous and I have no idea how Guts is supposed to keep up.

Bu-bu-but he brought prosperity to the humans under his care! He's a good guy, for reals man!

Kieli

Guts makes a pact with the Abyss. Becomes an abysswalker with super-saiyan capabilities.

Having a super-high stability shield and Wolf Goddess summon will also surely help.

Kayhan

Still waiting to see what Griffith is doing that is supposed to make him the villain now.

Brings peace and reigns in the monsters.

*shrug*

Kieli

Still waiting to see what Griffith is doing that is supposed to make him the villain now.

*shrug*

It'd be cooler if Miura kept current Griffith good/divine even up to the point that Guts chops him up. I wonder how Gattsu would react?

Nibel

*shrug*

This is the exact dilemma of the manga I think; Guts is basically the bad guy now if you think of the bigger picture. I imagine Griffith not giving a fuck about him.

This is the exact dilemma of the manga I think; Guts is basically the bad guy now if you think of the bigger picture. I imagine Griffith not giving a fuck about him.

Are you sure about that ? For one Griffith is the one that caused the world to become this way. Secondly did Germany not prosper under Hitler's reign ? Just because he's created this giant city where people can live doesn't forgive him of all the messed up stuff he's doing and has done behind the curtain.

Nibel

Are you sure about that ? For one Griffith is the one that caused the world to become this way. Secondly did Germany not prosper under Hitler's reign ? Just because he's created this giant city where people can live doesn't forgive him of all the messed up stuff he's doing and has done behind the curtain.

But nobody knows of most of the shit he has done, nobody. Everybody dreamed of the "Falcon who brings the light" and never learned about Griffith before. I mean this is why Miura spent the last couple chapters drawing Falconia and the people who live there: everybody seems happy to live there and to serve Griffith; he even lets them talk to the dead.

The only person who knows the truth is Guts; he knows that Griffith paid (or pays) a incredible high price for what has happened. Guts saw all of his and Griffiths friends die in front of him; not even Rickert knows what happened during the Eclipse.

This is why I think this will turn into a dilemma where Guts has do decide to take his revenge or live with the fact that there is now a world balance where humans and monsters live together "happily" with no issues. Is his thirst for Griffith's blood more important than what seems to be world peace?

Of course, this is just speculation on my part. :)

But nobody knows of most of the shit he has done, nobody. Everybody dreamed of the "Falcon who brings the light" and never learned about Griffith before. I mean this is why Miura spent the last couple chapters drawing Falconia and the people who live there: everybody seems happy to live there and to serve Griffith; he even lets them talk to the dead.

The only person who knows the truth is Guts; he knows that Griffith paid (or pays) a incredible high price for what has happened. Guts saw all of his and Griffiths friends die in front of him; not even Rickert knows what happened during the Eclipse.

This is why I think this will turn into a dilemma where Guts has do decide to take his revenge or live with the fact that there is now a world balance where humans and monsters live together "happily" with no issues. Is his thirst for Griffith's blood more important than what seems to be world peace?

Ah, so you are basically saying the public will percieve him as the bad guy which is almost definitely going to be the case. Personally I don't think Guts can coexist with Griffith. I think a simple rationalisation for fighting against a utopia is that Griffith is clearly evil and has committed evil deeds and just because he isn't necessarily doing anything evil right now he likely will in the future.

Nibel

Ah, so you are basically saying the public will percieve him as the bad guy which is almost definitely going to be the case. Personally I don't think Guts can coexist with Griffith. I think a simple rationalisation for fighting against a utopia is that Griffith is clearly evil and has committed evil deeds and just because he isn't necessarily doing anything evil right now he likely will in the future.

I agree with you and note that I'm not saying that Griffith is good; to the people living in his town, seeing him with his beautiful hair and unbelievable abilities, sure. But we, the readers, we know that Griffith is worse than the fucking devil and a pile of scum.

The façade will break at some point and he will reveal his true self, Femto, again. After all what happened, Guts is determined to pay every price. The dilemma I've talking about is just some food for thought; Guts wants to kill him, period.

And man, I can't wait for the day.

Guts couldn't give less of a fuck about all of those people. The dilemma will center around Caska, and he'll have to decide whether to redecorate a room with Femto innards, or to keep Caska happy.

This has already been nodded at a coupla times.

Guts couldn't give less of a fuck about all of those people. The dilemma will center around Caska, and he'll have to decide whether to redecorate a room with Femto innards, or to keep Caska happy.

I disagree. The black swordsman era Guts perhaps wouldn't give a fuck. However part of Guts development as a character is him regaining his humanity. At this point I can see the general public being a serious factor in his decision making.

Kayhan

Interesting theory. We will find out in 2025.

RangerBAD

I agree with you and note that I'm not saying that Griffith is good; to the people living in his town, seeing him with his beautiful hair and unbelievable abilities, sure. But we, the readers, we know that Griffith is worse than the fucking devil and a pile of scum.

The façade will break at some point and he will reveal his true self, Femto, again. After all what happened, Guts is determined to pay every price. The dilemma I've talking about is just some food for thought; Guts wants to kill him, period.

And man, I can't wait for the day.

I'm wondering what Rickert is going to do.
Will he fall to the charisma or attempt to kill Griffith and die? I almost feel like Griffith might kill him to begin with. Can't have it getting out what Griffith really is.
I think it's clear Guts won't hesitate to do what he needs to and I think the Elf King arc (if we ever get there) will have a lot of exposition. Which in turn might motivate Guts even more.

Nibel

I'm wondering what Rickert is going to do.
Will he fall to the charisma or attempt to kill Griffith and die? I almost feel like Griffith might kill him to begin with. Can't have it getting out what Griffith really is.
I think it's clear Guts won't hesitate to do what he needs to and I think the Elf King arc (if we ever get there) will have a lot of exposition. Which in turn might motivate Guts even more.

I expect Rickert to confront Griffith with every question he has; in the newest chapter he's shown being shocked by what is going on behind the scenes and learning about the true nature of the war demon army. He always felt that something was off and now he has his confirmation thanks to Locus.

The question will be what will Grifftith do? One scenario I can see happening is him giving no fucks about Rickert and letting him go which might result into him meeting Guts at some point and telling him about Falconia. Another scenario would be that Griffith would put him in some prison or even worse turn him into a demon as well.

But wouldn't these options be to obvious? Miura is probably thinking of something entirely else.

Erigu

It's fake, isn't it? The thing I saw.
I'm not sure what it is you saw. It could be a fake, or maybe you aren't correctly remembering the details and are thinking about this, i.e. a five year old announcement (yes, we've been in that chapter for five years already).

cyborg009

Banned
Just read the latest chapter I really want to know what Ricket is going to say to Griffth. And It was pretty cool seeing Volkov again, I never knew he had a face.

Kieli

I'm not sure what it is you saw. It could be a fake, or maybe you aren't correctly remembering the details and are thinking about this, i.e. a five year old announcement (yes, we've been in that chapter for five years already).

Dammit, this was the one. I'm not sure why I remember the entire body of Guts being in the picture, but this was the one.

Kuroyume

Banned
Last chapter was nice just to see the
demons again, and have a discussion about that
. Chapter was too fucking short though. His art has gotten so fucking good that it probably takes forever to draw. I want him to get back to Guts and co.

Watched the anime awhile ago, loved it. The OP mentioned that the movies are awful, and that's it not even worth seeing, except for the ending of the third. Would it be worth just skipping to the end of the third and watching that? Does it end in the same place the anime did?

Although if it's as devastating to watch as it was in the anime, maybe I should wait. =O

Kuroyume

Banned
The OP's opinion is shit in regards to the movie. The movies did a better job than the anime in retelling the story from the manga. Still not perfect but they were good and looked great.

Watch all three. And yes, the anime ends at the same place...
Guts getting his weapons and heading out to fight

Siegcram

The OP's opinion is shit in regards to the movie. The movies did a better job than the anime in retelling the story from the manga. Still not perfect but they were good and looked great.

The 3D looked like shit though. Took me right out of the movie. Give me 90s animation over that garbage any day.

Tacitus_

If you're referencing what Skull Knight said to Guts, I think that was more about Caska regaining her sanity.

She's coocoo now, but she also doesn't remember most of her comrades getting brutally slaughtered and herself getting raped.

Goon

Ordered volumes 33-37 from amazon. They should be coming in on monday.

Are they planning on making any new movies/anime?

Hm, thanks. I'll probably check them out in that case and form my own opinion. =D

I also need to start reading the manga...

Top Bottom