• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best budget 4K TV for PS4 Pro w/HDR?

tzare

Hisense TVs are worth a look. They've reviewed extremely well in tech mags and are very affordable.

Amazon have them (obviously!)

yes, i've also heard good things about hisense and are usually a bit cheaper than sony and samsung. NOt sure about input lag though when HDR enabled.

Norse

Hmm have a 60" 1080 now sit about 8' away.

Could mayyybe go 55" at that price... it's near a damn impulse buy with HDR and 4k. Could probably justify it now and swap my Day One bone for an S with HDR for FH3

thinking of holding out closer to x1x for the 65 though

I fought the impulse when I saw it at Walmart yesterday. The review at rtings.com was very good.

eso76

Wasn't interested before but damn these TV'S are cheap.

Too bad no TLC or Vizio here, but had no idea you could grab a KS8000 for 1000.

I picked up a Samsung KU6290 55" Refurbished from BJs for $400 shipped, this is for the living room.

The tv looks new, minus some small scratches on the back and fingerprints.

It's not "Real" HDR but it looks good, smart apps work really well too. Pictures quality is much better than the 2003 Sony XBR Projector it replaces LOL

I'll probably pick up a good 43" set for my bedroom, I'm thinking maybe the Sony X800 if it's on sale or a comparable Vizio...

Yeah this is the way to go.

OP nobody is saying you have to buy the cheapest 4k HDR you can find at the grocery store, also you don't need to have the top of the line for $1000+ if you're not comfortable with that.

There are excellent midrange options as quoted above; they are often missing enthusiast features like 10-bit panel, wide color gamut, dolby atmos compatbility. BUT you still get a 4k image, especially if the TV has a great upscaler and high contrast capability. Depending on the TV, HDR can have input lag, which may be a dealbreaker if you're a competitive gamer. I've seen HDR implemented well and poorly, side by side comparison of simulated HDR, 8-bit HDR, and true 10-bit wide color HDR.

Set yourself a baseline of features and go from there. The Sony quoted above, Vizio M, Vizio P (on sale), Samsung 6000-series, all fine choices.

EDIT: I totally missed that you had your eye on the KU6500! Cool, I have that TV, almost 6 months now, it's really nice. The $600 saved on the next model up went into a PS4 Pro :)

Whats wrong with the KU6300? I got the same tv but only cost me $400. For the price its fantastic...

If you wanted "true hdr" then yeah look elsewhere i guess...
Mine was defective from the very beginning. I used my warranty to get a new one and it doesn't look great tbh. There's also the RGB separation bug that Samsung won't acknowledge. Oh, motion blur and HDR performance is average also. I don't know, but I'm dissatisfied with the TV.

Norse

Do you have any idea how long this will last? I'm currently debating between the KS8000, P607, and P55-C1.

If the p607 interests you, the 2017 Vizio m series is same price point and is getting great reviews. The 55" model is in the 600's at Walmart. Looked great. They only had the tcl S model so I didn't get to see the new P yet.

kakashi08

If the p607 interests you, the 2017 Vizio m series is same price point and is getting great reviews. The 55" model is in the 600's at Walmart. Looked great. They only had the tcl S model so I didn't get to see the new P yet.

why does it say ks800 and not ks8000? is it just a typo on groupon or two diff tvs? :/

ornery

Check slickdeals. Walmart is selling a LeeCo 55'' Super4 X55 for $350 at select stores. Has everything you need for 4K gaming. HDR10, wide color gamut, low input lag in game mode.

kakashi08

No idea. Maybe Costco version as I think they dropped a 0 so they don't have to price match.
Bet. Mine says getting ready to be shipped. Hopefully no problems with it. Since it's refurbished. Have no idea on the setting to have on da PS4 with the ks800000000, (Ima add the zeros cuz if Costco can drop one I can add some,lol).

Klocker

If I don't have a pro or Xbox x yet is there enough content out there to justify 4k HDR set?

I have Netflix and Amazon prime

Could get an Xbox s I guess but there are some good deals out there now ok 4k HDR sets, although I can probably wait until November

Edit whoops posted this in wrong thread originally...

Josh378

Do you have any idea how long this will last? I'm currently debating between the KS8000, P607, and P55-C1.

In 2016, Unless you are buying an OLED, the Samsung KS8000 model is the best one to get out of the ones you choosen (or any TV in that pricerange thats not a OLED). It is still on Groupon for the same price so if you want to get one, go for it. I brought mines from Best Buy for $1500 (65KS8000), and was was worth the price. I sold three more to friends who were on the fence for buying an 4K TV vs staying with their 1080p TV. This is the best TV you could buy sub $2K in 2016.

If any of you are on the fence to buy one, refurbished or not, DO IT!

TehOh

Currently debating between the TCL and the KS8000, but I'm concerned about the fact that the Samsungs are refurbished.

Mine was defective from the very beginning. I used my warranty to get a new one and it doesn't look great tbh. There's also the RGB separation bug that Samsung won't acknowledge. Oh, motion blur and HDR performance is average also. I don't know, but I'm dissatisfied with the TV.

Damn that sucks, I guess buying a TV is like playing Russian roulette huh?

My tv has been working flawlessly, knock on wood...

Wow that groupon deal up above for a KS8000 seems great, but from what I read that tv does have a number of quality/manufacturing issues, i'd recommend buying the extended warranty for that.

JB1981

Man I saw the LG OLEDs on display at BB yesterday. The black levels are incredible. Wouldn't deeper blacks and better contrast ratio have a bigger impact on the overall image vs HDR? So OLED doesn't get quite as bright as some of the other LEDs but isn't that advantage mitigated somewhat by the deeper OLED blacks? Also is it me or has the motion handling on these sets gotten significantly better in recent years? Not sure if it was that the demo was showing scenes on these LEDs in ideal pans and motions but everything seemed so much clearer in motion than in the past.

I currently own a Panasonic PZ85u which still has great quality and has worked like a dream. Will I regret replacing my plasma for an LED?

to me the lowest I'll go now is the sony x900e. Its around $1200 but its one of the best LEDs for HDR by far. I'd rather future proof the HDR then pay half the price and want to upgrade a few years later

Got my TCL P series a few days ago and have been putting it through it's paces. Absolutely amazing tv for the price. This thing is a steal at $599. Gets super bright and has great contrast in HDR. The input lag is so low compared to my last tv, a 1080p Samsung LED, that I essentially had to relearn how to play MLB 17 because my brain was used to the slower input lag.

Lom1lo

Got my TCL P series a few days ago and have been putting it through it's paces. Absolutely amazing tv for the price. This thing is a steal at $599. Gets super bright and has great contrast in HDR. The input lag is so low compared to my last tv, a 1080p Samsung LED, that I essentially had to relearn how to play MLB 17 because my brain was used to the slower input lag.

Wat this thing has <20 ms input lag in hdr mode (1080p) ?http://www.avsforum.com/tcl-55-p-series-model-55p607-4k-hdr-roku-tv-with-dolby-vision-first-look/

Does this value get worse when in 4k ?[

ghibli99

Really like my Sony X800D, but I wouldn't call it budget compared to other similarly sized and featured 4K HDR sets. Steer clear of anything with RGBW.

DesertFox

I'm about to pull the trigger on this TV from BestBuy, just waiting on the rtings.com review to finally seal the deal. They should have their review up soon.

Do you have a PS4 Pro to be able to test 4K HDR input lag? I'm very curious how it performs.

Also, I understand you cannot currently have the local dimming option enabled in game mode - hoping that a firmware update will fix that. According to avsforum, that may be happening within the next week. If that happens, I can't imagine a more perfect 4K HDR gaming TV for that crazy low price point.

tuco11

How does it play 1080p blurays? Read on avsforum that at least two people experienced ghosting? any juddering?

thanks!

Wat this thing has <20 ms input lag in hdr mode (1080p) ?http://www.avsforum.com/tcl-55-p-series-model-55p607-4k-hdr-roku-tv-with-dolby-vision-first-look/

Does this value get worse when in 4k ?[

I'm about to pull the trigger on this TV from BestBuy, just waiting on the rtings.com review to finally seal the deal. They should have their review up soon.

Do you have a PS4 Pro to be able to test 4K HDR input lag? I'm very curious how it performs.

Also, I understand you cannot currently have the local dimming option enabled in game mode - hoping that a firmware update will fix that. According to avsforum, that may be happening within the next week. If that happens, I can't imagine a more perfect 4K HDR gaming TV for that crazy low price point.

I do have a PS4 Pro. I don't have any actual equipment to test input lag. I could try running MLB 17 in 4K and giving some anecdotal impressions. I get the feeling from a a few cryptic posts from a beta tester of the upcoming P Series firmware update that local dimming in game mode is potentially coming in the update that is supposed to launch soon.

How does it play 1080p blurays? Read on avsforum that at least two people experienced ghosting? any juddering?

thanks!

Haven't played any Blu Ray discs yet. Honestly don't buy many discs anymore, I do still have some laying around from probably 4-5 years ago that I could test. The PS4 is the only player I have though. Also I would consider myself much more of an audiophile than videophile so I might not be the best person to give impressions of a Blu Ray test. I can certainly try though.

Edit: Just as a point of reference, this is my first 4K tv. I haven't owned any other 4K tv to compare it to. I was actually holding off on jumping to 4K, but I read the impressions of the tv on AVSForum and the few early reviews that came out, and sort of impulse purchased it from Best Buy. I am quite happy with it, but again it's not like I've owned a $3,000 OLED tv to compare it with.

JG5253

Just gotta be able to live with terrible viewing angles and potentially awful blacklight bleed.

Also I myself would probably pay 400$ more for wide color gamut, better build quality etc.

It's kind of a panel lottery with clouding but if you can get a good one I definitely recommend it. I love mine

Klocker

Oh shit gonna have to grab this if the rtings review is a hit

TheBoss1

I'll make it simple for you guys (in the US at least).

If budget is $1,000...
TCL P607 - $650

If budget is $2,000...
Sony X900E - $1,200-2,000

If budget is $4,000...
LG C7 - $2,500-3,500

If budget is $5,000...
Sony A1E - $3,500-5,000

If budget is $10,000...
Sony Z9D - $5,500-9,000

These are 2017 sets ranging from 49-65 inches. If you are dead set on buy 70+ inches of screen, you will either be overspending a significant amount just for screen real estate or you will pay less for a much more inferior screen than those that have been recommended here. It's hard for me to recommend past sets like KS8000 or X800D because they are either hard to find or they have been surpassed by newer sets. Also, you will NOT get real HDR paying for a set that costs less than the TCL P607 so I will not be recommending sub-$500 sets either.

Just gotta be able to live with terrible viewing angles and potentially awful blacklight bleed.

Also I myself would probably pay 400$ more for wide color gamut, better build quality etc.

Mine has been really solid. No crazy backlight bleed, and it's setup in my gaming room where I'm usually the only one viewing it and I'm straight on so for my use case the viewing angles aren't an issue. Also according to the TCL specs page the P Series does have wide color gamut.

FEATURES

Dolby Vision HDR
72 Zone HDR Contrast Control
Wide Color Gamut with Advanced LED Phosphor
Roku TV Smart Platform with over 4,000 streaming channels
Enhanced Remote with Voice Search and Private Listening
High-speed 802.11ac wireless and Ethernet networking
(3) HDMI 2.0a ports with HDCP 2.2

I'll make it simple for you guys (in the US at least).

If budget is $1,000...
TCL P607 - $650

If budget is $2,000...
Sony X900E - $1,200-2,000

If budget is $4,000...
LG C7 - $2,500-3,500

If budget is $5,000...
Sony A1E - $3,500-5,000

If budget is $10,000...
Sony Z9D - $5,500-9,000

These are 2017 sets ranging from 49-65 inches. If you are dead set on buy 70+ inches of screen, you will either be overspending a significant amount just for screen real estate or you will pay less for a much more inferior screen than those that have been recommended here. It's hard for me to recommend past sets like KS8000 or X800D because they are either hard to find or they have been surpassed by newer sets. Also, you will NOT get real HDR paying for a set that costs less than the TCL P607 so I will not be recommending sub-$500 sets either.

Even better if your budget is $1,000 and you don't care about the included Roku remote having the headphone jack or voice search (you can still stream audio from the tv via the Roku app) then you can go for the TCL P605 from Best Buy which is exactly the same except for the remote and it's $599.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/tcl-55-...c-range-roku-tv-black/5878705.p?skuId=5878705

Here is a tweet from TCL stating the main difference between the 605 and 607 is the remote:

https://twitter.com/TCL_USA/status/878296542502764544

DesertFox

I do have a PS4 Pro. I don't have any actual equipment to test input lag. I could try running MLB 17 in 4K and giving some anecdotal impressions. I get the feeling from a a few cryptic posts from a beta tester of the upcoming P Series firmware update that local dimming in game mode is potentially coming in the update that is supposed to launch soon.
Yeah, anecdotal impressions about how it feels would also be great, thanks! If you have a low input lag PC monitor, we can assume it's around 10ms and you can do the stopwatch picture test to measure the 4K HDR input lag and just add 10ms to the results. Should be pretty simple and doable even with a cell phone camera, though it might be hard to read the numbers due to slow shutter speed causing blurring.

This will also be my first 4K TV, so I'm sure I'd be impressed by the picture - but I would definitely notice high input lag at any resolution.

ElNino

I wouldn't recommend any 4K TV to play games on with the ridiculously high input lag on them.

20ms+ is not acceptable.
Outside of monitors, you'd be hard pressed to find many TVs with sub-20ms input lag period, 4K or not.

IMO, while low input lag is obviously preferred, anything less than 40ms is acceptable to me. In fact, I've played on TVs well over 50ms quite a bit in the last few years and have not had any significant issues.

Yeah, anecdotal impressions about how it feels would also be great, thanks! If you have a low input lag PC monitor, we can assume it's around 10ms and you can do the stopwatch picture test to measure the 4K HDR input lag and just add 10ms to the results. Should be pretty simple and doable even with a cell phone camera, though it might be hard to read the numbers due to slow shutter speed causing blurring.

This will also be my first 4K TV, so I'm sure I'd be impressed by the picture - but I would definitely notice high input lag at any resolution.

I don't have a monitor of any sort. My path towards buying the TLC tv actually started with looking at monitors due to their low lag, but then I stumbled on the TLC which reviews said had about 15 ms of lag and that was enough to sway me because I really wanted HDR which is basically no existent on the monitor side right now.

I did mess around a bit yesterday with MLB. I played it in high framerate 1080p mode and then played a bit in 4K mode (these settings are actually in the MLB menu in game, I didn't change any other PS4 or tv settings). The tv remained in game mode for both 1080p and 4K. I learned two things. One, MLB runs pretty terrible in 4K. Two, I didn't notice much of a difference in the lag between 1080p and 4K. Doesn't mean there isn't one, I just couldn't really perceive much of one. I would still caution that if the input lag in 4K is going to be a make or break thing for you, wait the week or two until the rtings review comes out and see what their numbers say.

GreekWolf

I'm hearing rumblings (and no, it's not my stomach) that the TCL P series has similar picture quality to the KS8000. If that's true, then it's the steal of the year at 600 bucks.

Cyriades

I wouldn't recommend any 4K TV to play games on with the ridiculously high input lag on them.

20ms+ is not acceptable.

Outside of monitors, you'd be hard pressed to find many TVs with sub-20ms input lag period, 4K or not.

IMO, while low input lag is obviously preferred, anything less than 40ms is acceptable to me. In fact, I've played on TVs well over 50ms quite a bit in the last few years and have not had any significant issues.

There are quite a few http://www.rtings.com/tv/tests/inputs/input-lag

phanphare

Banned
damn, that TCL P looks great

I was close to getting a 2017 Vizio M series TV but I think this thread just changed my mind

any idea on when rtings will review the TCL P?

TheBoss1

Even better if your budget is $1,000 and you don't care about the included Roku remote having the headphone jack or voice search (you can still stream audio from the tv via the Roku app) then you can go for the TCL P605 from Best Buy which is exactly the same except for the remote and it's $599.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/tcl-55-...c-range-roku-tv-black/5878705.p?skuId=5878705

Here is a tweet from TCL stating the main difference between the 605 and 607 is the remote:

https://twitter.com/TCL_USA/status/878296542502764544

I didn't include it because, up until recently, the price spiked by $50 but it started out at $599. I think they raised it because they need to restock from selling above expectations. I'd bet it goes right back to $599 once they receive more units again. Still a great alternative since it's the same TV.

Is HDR worth it on a panel without FALD (full array dynamic lighting)? Doesn't the picture get washed out because instead of certain parts of the image getting blasted with full contrast(like the sun or something) it happens to the entire picture.

Top Bottom