• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best budget 4K TV for PS4 Pro w/HDR?

RedAssedApe

Banned
It looks like for the same price you can get the Sony X900e on Amazon. Sorry, no link. I'm on my phone.

I think the rtings.com rating on the x850 is quite good, but the x900e is a nice jump up from that.

sounds like you might be quoting the US price. his costco link is for canada.

lmao @ people recommending KS models and expensive TVs

get the Hisense 55" with HDR for $499 at Best Buy.

It's almost on par with the $1000+ sets.

Hah, no way. You have no idea what you're talking about. That set doesn't support wide color gamut, has way worse input lag, and it can't even handle judder free 24p playback.

Rbk_3

lol no

It has a peak brightness of 340 nits (KS8000 is 1600 nits) and no wide Color gamut. It isn't even in the ball park of being a true HDR set. Plus it has 3x the input lag of a set like the KS8000.

Having been a TCL 55P607 owner for a week now, I hereby proclaim it is the best budget 4K HDR + Dolby Vision set on the market. It is blowing me away every day.

EDIT: Plus it has a blazingly fast Roku TV built-in. Snappy as all hell!

That Vizio M serie is very tempting. With 4K tv being this cheap, I'm surprised so many people still don't want to move on from 1080p.

That Vizio M serie is very tempting. With 4K tv being this cheap, I'm surprised so many people still don't want to move on from 1080p.

Quality HDR sets are still not common even though there are a few models that are more popular. Add on content being still limited and the new HDMI standard around the corner which may bring variable frame rate, unless your TV is dying I think it's still best to wait. I've got one of the best 1080p sets ever made so I feel no hurry to jump on board personally.

DesertFox

nice thanks

I might just be impatient and buy it anyway lol
Yeah my excitement got to me. I went ahead and ordered it - it'll be here on the 27th
tenor.gif

thatJohann

Having been a TCL 55P607 owner for a week now, I hereby proclaim it is the best budget 4K HDR + Dolby Vision set on the market. It is blowing me away every day.

Does it have every single feature support for ps4 pro and Xbox one X like hdr 10 and good input lag? I've been searching for the last week for a 4K tv and about to give up because I'm so confused.

I've had mine since Tuesday and I concur with this.

In fact, I just decided to put in The Order 1886 due to that LTTP thread. I once thought it was one of the best looking games ever, but now the lack of HDR is really putting things into perspective. I've obviously been testing this TV primarily with HDR content, like PS4 Pro games, Ultra HD Blu-rays on the One S, and the Dolby Vision and HDR stuff from Netflix, Amazon, YouTube etc, so now you could say I am "used" to that. I'm so spoiled! 4K HDR really needs to be seen to be believed, and not at a Best Buy or Walmart, but in your own place.

Does it have every single feature support for ps4 pro and Xbox one X like hdr 10 and good input lag? I've been searching for the last week for a 4K tv and about to give up because I'm so confused.

Yes, yes, yes, and yes again. A web search for the model will bring you to many glowing reviews and hands-on impressions. Most notably from AVS Forums and The Verge. Rtings (review site for TVs, the gold standard according to many) has purchased one and will be reviewing it in the coming days. I'm curious to see what they think.

RedAssedApe

Banned

is it weird that i am hyped for this? no more having to turn on the ps4 with its limited app selection or my slow ass apple tv from 2012 haha

is it weird that i am hyped for this? no more having to turn on the ps4 with its limited app selection or my slow ass apple tv from 2012 haha

Not at all. Of all the smart TVs I've owned, Roku TV IMO is the best OS so far. I turn the TV on and there it is ready to go, no warmup required. My Sony TV from a couple years ago needs some "quality time" before you can select all the options.

The Roku TV in this does YouTube 4K HDR, Netflix 4K HDR + Dolby Vision, Amazon Prime Video 4K HDR + Dolby Vision, and I can't really explain it, but I have a PlayStation Vue subscription, and it looks incredible via the Roku app despite it not being anywhere near 4K. Some upscaling magic I guess.

lol no

It has a peak brightness of 340 nits (KS8000 is 1600 nits) and no wide Color gamut. It isn't even in the ball park of being a true HDR set. Plus it has 3x the input lag of a set like the KS8000.

He said "almost" on par and you completely ignored the fact that its hundreds of dollars cheaper than KS8000.At $550 ofcourse the HDR is entry level but it has deep blacks and the input lag in game mode is great for gaming and rt agrees.

I own a Hisense set and I had no idea that I needed even more brightness.

He said "almost" on par and you completely ignored the fact that its hundreds of dollars cheaper than KS8000.At $550 ofcourse the HDR is entry level but it has deep blacks and the input lag in game mode is great for gaming and rt agrees.

I own a Hisense set and I had no idea that I needed even more brightness.

It's not even almost on par though. There's a huge difference between the two and he was laughing at people recommending the KS8000 over it.

Saying you weren't aware you needed more brightness is like saying you not knowing there was a need for 4K over 1080p or a need for HDR.

I just started taking a look at this. Seems quite interesting to say the least. Looks shockingly good for the price.

Certain things about the Blues on the color gamut give me pause, but I suppose it isn't too big a deal really. Also, maybe I'm being overly concerned with the brightness not being high as some other sets since this is a budget option. That said, there seems to be instances where it outdoes even the more expensive $1500 sets. Not bad for a TV so inexpensive. I just might grab it as an extra 4K set.

Dynomutt

I have noticed a weird trend where many 2016 models actually outperform or are on par with their 2017 counterparts (Some of the Sony X series and Vizio M series IMO). The TCL P series is a pretty strong argument for a budget set.

This thread just encouraged me to pick up the LG B6 65 inch for $2,249 (display model). It's in excellent condition and picture looks brilliant. Just fired up Horizon, definitely recommended.

I purchased a PS4 Slim yesterday, but buyer's remorse kicked in. Since the Samsung deal ended, I've decided to wait until Black Friday to pick up a 4K television set. All I have to do is survive five more months in 1080p.

aaaaa0

For space reasons I need to find a smaller 4K HDR capable screen (40" - 45" max) and I'm just not seeing a lot of good options. :(

Any recommendations or suggestions?

BumRush

I wish OLED's weren't so expensive.

They've come down in price significantly over the last 3 years (although still more expensive than LED, comparitively). Once 2018 models are announced (early 2018) you could grab a 2017 model for a significantly reduced price.

gamz

They've come down in price significantly over the last 3 years (although still more expensive than LED, comparitively). Once 2018 models are announced (early 2018) you could grab a 2017 model for a significantly reduced price.

I was going to say the same. It's really not that expensive if you consider the tech.

Care to explain which sets currently available offer "true HDR"?
You're looking for a set that has at least a 10 bit panel, supports wide color gamut and can hit a high enough brightness level. There are a lot of TVs that claim they are HDR but don't meet this criteria but since it says HDR on the box, people assume they have it without realizing not all HDR implementations are the same and sometimes it's more about marketing.

JB1981

You're looking for a set that has at least a 10 bit panel, supports wide color gamut and can hit a high enough brightness level. There are a lot of TVs that claim they are HDR but don't meet this criteria but since it says HDR on the box, people assume they have it without realizing not all HDR implementations are the same and sometimes it's more about marketing.

So would the Samsung QLEDs, the Sony 900 series and the Vizio M series 2017 meet this criteria or no?

It's a shame that the X800D is getting hard to find now that the X800E is out. The X800D is still the best low priced TV in it's size range.

Marmelade

For space reasons I need to find a smaller 4K HDR capable screen (40" - 45" max) and I'm just not seeing a lot of good options. :(

Any recommendations or suggestions?

If you're in the EU, the 43KS7500.
If not, there's not a lot of choice at those sizes if you want good hdr.
The X800D (EU XD80**) is nice enough but is lacking brightness wise

If you're in the EU, the 43KS7500.
If not, there's not a lot of choice at those sizes if you want good hdr.
The X800D (EU XD80**) is nice enough but is lacking brightness wise

Mind you, the X800D is perfectly bright enough for use in a dark room. I use it in my room and it gets bright enough, trust me.

So would the Samsung QLEDs, the Sony 900 series and the Vizio M series 2017 meet this criteria or no?

I believe all of those hit the marks. For the M series, you have to make sure it's the 2017 model and not the 2016 model though. The Samsung QLED is actually rated UHD Premium which means it hits the standards set for HDR. It's too bad not everyone goes for this certification even if they do meet the criteria. It would be so much easier to look for that label to know it's good enough. One you hit a certain price point, it's more likely it's good enough at this point but if you're looking at close to $1000 or under, that's when you really need to question if a TV mentioning HDR has actual HDR or half assed HDR.

TheBoss1

LOL at people putting Hisense in the same category as Sony/Samsung sets that have way better implemented HDR. Please for the love of mankind, do not listen to people who have no experience or knowledge of HDR TVs. The only budget TV that comes close to giving proper HDR is the TCL P607/605. All other sets in that price range will NOT give you anything close to it.

JB1981

I believe all of those hit the marks. For the M series, you have to make sure it's the 2017 model and not the 2016 model though. The Samsung QLED is actually rated UHD Premium which means it hits the standards set for HDR. It's too bad not everyone goes for this certification even if they do meet the criteria. It would be so much easier to look for that label to know it's good enough. One you hit a certain price point, it's more likely it's good enough at this point but if you're looking at close to $1000 or under, that's when you really need to question if a TV mentioning HDR has actual HDR or half assed HDR.

Thanks for clarifying. What if you think deeper blacks and contrast is more important for image quality? Go OLED?

Natiko

Banned
I've been looking for a new tv lately and the HDR stuff is so confusing. Even in this very thread there's a lot of disagreement about which tvs do and don't have good HDR. This shit should really be more standardized.

Thanks for clarifying. What if you think deeper blacks and contrast is more important for image quality? Go OLED?

Ya, for better black levels and contrast, OLED is definitely a solid choice, especially since the price has come down on those types of panels.

I've been looking for a new tv lately and the HDR stuff is so confusing. Even in this very thread there's a lot of disagreement about which tvs do and don't have good HDR. This shit should really be more standardized.

They did try to standardize it with a group creating the UHD Premium certification. The problem is not everyone wants to be certified and many want to take advantage of the buzzword by slapping HDR on the box to trick people into thinking it's all the same.

If you see this logo, then you know it's good.

UHD-Premium-logo-2.jpg

splattered

Is there a difference between the TCL P605/607?

I see the 605 on Best Buy and 607 on Amazon.. both appear to have different remotes?

What's a high enough brightness level for proper HDR depending on the type of TV between LED or OLED?

I know you require other things such as wide color gamut, at least HDR 10, but explain to me the requirements. Also, if some televisions false advertise about HDR capability, why can't they lie about wide color gamut? Has there been instances of such dishonesty, slick marketing?

Is there a difference between the TCL P605/607?

I see the 605 on Best Buy and 607 on Amazon.. both appear to have different remotes?

605 is apparently not a tv in the same league as the 607. Not true HDR I've read, and simply does not meet a lot of the requirements that the 607 meets. You'd be getting a significantly inferior television is my understanding of the differences between the 605 and the 607.

ultrazilla

Gold Member

Quantum, I guess our definition of "budget" is lower than other people's "budget". ;)

The Hisense models are well made, quality televisions. My father in law has the 55" and
he loves it. I've seen his as well and again, the picture quality on our sets is simply amazing for the price. HDR enabled and true 4K!

*Folks should know though that they obviously shouldn't be buying a Hisense 4K television that was made before 2016. Most of their 2016 models and up now feature HDR(updated via firmware). So DO YOUR HOMEWORK and study up obviously before pulling the trigger but man, Horizon Zero Dawn, The Last of Us Remastered, Titan Fall 2, Uncharted 4, Diablo 3, Mass Effect: Andromeda etc are so gorgeous to look at and I've had zero problems with input lag(game mode) etc.

Hisense 4K HDR televisions for "budget" minded home theater/gaming enthusiasts are my recommendation!

ncslamm

605 is apparently not a tv in the same league as the 607. Not true HDR I've read, and simply does not meet a lot of the requirements that the 607 meets. You'd be getting a significantly inferior television is my understanding of the differences between the 605 and the 607.

Where did you hear that? They're the same TV. 605 remote doesn't have a headphone jack and is IR instead of wireless. That's the only difference. TCL said this on twitter the other day when asked. Best Buy gets a proprietary model so they don't have to price match.

This is not true. The only difference is the included remote. The 607 has the advanced remote with private listening via headphone jack. The 605 does not. Identical otherwise. Where did you read this about the 605?

I just wish we could get smaller 4K HDR sets.

I'll be moving to HK in a year or so and I don't think I will have room for the 40" set I have in my bedroom and obviously not the 55" in our living room. Would love to be able to buy a small set once I get there as I've grown accustomed to the HDR.

Also I do find it funny people are still recommending KS and alike when he/she asked for a budget model. I guess 1000 sq ft apartments in NY are budget apartments to someone

TrounceX

Damn, there was a deal on Amazon for like $200 off this set. I was in the process of ordering but saw "usually ships within 2-3 months". Nobody got time for that.

I might look elsewhere now though since it's probably worth full price.

Damn, there was a deal on Amazon for like $200 off this set. I was in the process of ordering but saw "usually ships within 2-3 months". Nobody got time for that.

I might look elsewhere now though since it's probably worth full price.

Best Buy is at $599. Amazon's "list price" of $799 is totally fabricated, so it was never $200 off... Amazon launched them at $599, and now the price is $649.

Top Bottom