• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best budget 4K TV for PS4 Pro w/HDR?

If the p607 interests you, the 2017 Vizio m series is same price point and is getting great reviews. The 55" model is in the 600's at Walmart. Looked great. They only had the tcl S model so I didn't get to see the new P yet.

I went to Wally looking for the TCL P-Series. Is it me or do they only carry the lower end models each year?

In 2016, Unless you are buying an OLED, the Samsung KS8000 model is the best one to get out of the ones you choosen (or any TV in that pricerange thats not a OLED). It is still on Groupon for the same price so if you want to get one, go for it. I brought mines from Best Buy for $1500 (65KS8000), and was was worth the price. I sold three more to friends who were on the fence for buying an 4K TV vs staying with their 1080p TV. This is the best TV you could buy sub $2K in 2016.

If any of you are on the fence to buy one, refurbished or not, DO IT!

After reading the reviews when it released last year, I was dead set on picking up this television. Sadly, I shied away from it due to the back panel separation issue. I'm not the luckiest person on the planet.

Bet. Mine says getting ready to be shipped. Hopefully no problems with it. Since it's refurbished. Have no idea on the setting to have on da PS4 with the ks800000000, (Ima add the zeros cuz if Costco can drop one I can add some,lol).

Let me know when you receive yours and what condition it's in. I'm so close to pulling the trigger, but I'm hesitant. There's too many choices and Rtings isn't making it any easier.

DesertFox

I don't have a monitor of any sort. My path towards buying the TLC tv actually started with looking at monitors due to their low lag, but then I stumbled on the TLC which reviews said had about 15 ms of lag and that was enough to sway me because I really wanted HDR which is basically no existent on the monitor side right now.

I did mess around a bit yesterday with MLB. I played it in high framerate 1080p mode and then played a bit in 4K mode (these settings are actually in the MLB menu in game, I didn't change any other PS4 or tv settings). The tv remained in game mode for both 1080p and 4K. I learned two things. One, MLB runs pretty terrible in 4K. Two, I didn't notice much of a difference in the lag between 1080p and 4K. Doesn't mean there isn't one, I just couldn't really perceive much of one. I would still caution that if the input lag in 4K is going to be a make or break thing for you, wait the week or two until the rtings review comes out and see what their numbers say.
Great, thanks again for your impressions! I'll see what the official numbers are from rtings, but I may as well place the order. If the results are unacceptable which I doubt they will be given what I've seen, I can just cancel.
damn, that TCL P looks great

I was close to getting a 2017 Vizio M series TV but I think this thread just changed my mind

any idea on when rtings will review the TCL P?

According to their Twitter account on 6/21 they said their reviews of the TCL P607, Samsung MU7600 and TCL S405 were coming "over the coming weeks."

I believe the TCL P series was their most requested review over the past few weeks according to their Suggest a TV Review page, so I wouldn't be surprised if they test that TV and get the review up before the others.

ShutterMunster

Is HDR worth it on a panel without FALD (full array dynamic lighting)? Doesn't the picture get washed out because instead of certain parts of the image getting blasted with full contrast(like the sun or something) it happens to the entire picture.

Full Array LOCAL DIMMING.

And to answer your question: No.

DesertFox

After reading the reviews when it released last year, I was dead set on picking up this television. Sadly, I shied away from it due to the back panel separation issue. I'm not the luckiest person on the planet.

Let me know when you receive yours and what condition it's in. I'm so close to pulling the trigger, but I'm hesitant. There's too many choices and Rtings isn't making it any easier.

The KS8000 is an excellent TV for sure, but the thing holding me back from buying that was that it was edge lit. What good is the local dimming option on the TV when it causes horizontal bands of brightness wherever it's trying to leave an area of the screen bright?

That would be terribly distracting in a dark scene where only a small portion of the scene is lit.

Cyriades

Is HDR worth it on a panel without FALD (full array dynamic lighting)? Doesn't the picture get washed out because instead of certain parts of the image getting blasted with full contrast(like the sun or something) it happens to the entire picture.

Honestly OLED is the best but its all abut sacrificing if on a budget.

Great, thanks again for your impressions! I'll see what the official numbers are from rtings, but I may as well place the order. If the results are unacceptable which I doubt they will be given what I've seen, I can just cancel.

According to their Twitter account on 6/21 they said their reviews of the TCL P607, Samsung MU7600 and TCL S405 were coming "over the coming weeks."

I believe the TCL P series was their most requested review over the past few weeks according to their Suggest a TV Review page, so I wouldn't be surprised if they test that TV and get the review up before the others.

You're quite welcome. I went and looked at other tvs that Rtings reviewed and noticed that on almost all of them that the numbers for 1080p and 4K HDR input lag are nearly identical. Assuming that there isn't something totally out of whack with the TLC, you can probably say it's safe that the same will hold true. I've seen a few reviews of it where 1080p tests at ~15 ms, so I'd imagine that 4K HDR is right in that ballpark as well.

The KS8000 is an excellent TV for sure, but the thing holding me back from buying that was that it was edge lit. What good is the local dimming option on the TV when it causes horizontal bands of brightness wherever it's trying to leave an area of the screen bright?

That would be terribly distracting in a dark scene where only a small portion of the scene is lit.

That's another reason why I had an interest in the Vizio P-Series. Unfortunately, my dilemma with it is the IPS panel on the 55". I'd have to buy the 65", which puts me in LG B6 price range.

Go with:

- Samsung KS8000; or
- Sony X900E; or
- TCL P6 series

KS8000 = better contrast and HDR
Sony = deals better with motion and has great HDR as well. FALD.
TCL = cheaper than both above but still pretty good bang for the buck. Great contrast and low input lag, but average HDR. FALD but not in game mode.

ElNino

I'm well aware of rtings as I've been using them extensively to compare TVs that I'm going to be buying soon (B/C7 OLED will be one, possibly the X900E as well), but even from that list there are few which have sub-20ms. Now, if you were to say sub-40ms, then I'd be willing to accept that threshold as "acceptable", but 20 is pretty far fetched to enforce across the board, IMO.

Yesterday, I read some reviews on the X900E. It's definitely creeping into the picture for me as well. I may have to take a trip to Best Buy to see it and the TCL in action. I know the KS8000 is capable.

phanphare

Banned

nice thanks

I might just be impatient and buy it anyway lol

Nothus

Can anyone tell me what the current product range is for Samsung in the UK?
Someone earlier in the thread mentioned KS7000 but I can't find anywhere selling the 49" KS7000 set?

JB1981

Yesterday, I read some reviews on the X900E. It's definitely creeping into the picture for me as well. I may have to take a trip to Best Buy to see it and the TCL in action. I know the KS8000 is capable.

I saw it today. It's a great looking television. Not quite OLED quality but better than the QLED's I saw from Samsung.

suberzat

I have the KU7000. It has all the bells and whistles..Wide Color Gamut,10bit panel etc Minus one thing... 1000 nits, its plenty bright to me however. I guess 1000 nit would be like looking at the sun.

Thanks. I still debating on which tv I would like to pick up. Going to stop by Best Buy later tonight to look at some tv displays

I got my hands on a 55" KS7000 (EU) / KS8000 (US) a week ago for 999 Euros. The KS7090 to be precise. I've waited more than half a year for a deal for this particular model and it was so worth it.

After properly setting it up for PS4 Pro gaming and movies, it keeps on blowing me away. And the input lag in gaming mode is also extremely low for such a large screen, despite activated HDR. We're lookin at about 21ms. That's like one frame of 60fps. I'd suggest this model if bang for your buck is what you're looking for, provided you can find it for a good price like I did.

AGITΩ

Thing is KS8000 was phased out for the MU8000 for this year. The well of KS lines are usually miss this far into the new tv year that started in march.
900e is definitely one of the better units out for this years line. Dont drop to an 800e or 850e. 900e is essentially the real successor to the 800/850D line from last year.
Also, we usually dont have TCLs on display in stores, as its online only for best buy.

Rbk_3

That was the reason I went with the Vizio P at first, but eventually returned it for the KS8000 and horizontal bands has been a non issue for me.

AGITΩ;241662531 said:
Thing is KS8000 was phased out for the MU8000 for this year. The well of KS lines are usually miss this far into the new tv year that started in march.
900e is definitely one of the better units out for this years line. Dont drop to an 800e or 850e. 900e is essentially the real successor to the 800/850D line from last year.
Also, we usually dont have TCLs on display in stores, as its online only for best buy.

The KS8000 is more in line with the Q7 than the MU8000. MU8000 is more in line with the KU7000

I have a VIZIO M55‑D0 and it has the best rtings score for it's price. An 8.1 for HDR gaming and a 7.9 overall. I paid around $650 for it but I could only find them for $699.99 when I looked just now. The only negatives I can think of is I hate the tablet controller and it's a VA display.

I agree I also have the 50" & 70"

Klocker

When will the 65" TCL p series be out?

It's listed on their website but no price and not available for sale anywhere, I'll guess $1100 on release?

AGITΩ

That was the reason I went with the Vizio P at first, but eventually returned it for the KS8000 and horizontal bands has been a non issue for me.

The KS8000 is more in line with the Q7 than the MU8000. MU8000 is more in line with the KU7000
I wouldn't go that far. The Color Accuracy out of the MU8000 is way better than the KS8000 out of the box. Especially back when I had the two side by side at my store. Plus the Native 120hz on the MU8000 for 55"+ models as opposed to the 60hz on the KU7000 (and MU7000) is a noticeable difference. KU and MU 7 Series are virtually identical. the MU9000 is the only non-QLED line of TV's that still uses Quantum Dots, but Samsung doesn't want to put that model in Best Buys, so I've yet to mess around with the Unit to see how that fairs in comparison.

Ushay

Which would you guys pick,

KS8000 (UK) or XE900, both in 49 inch models. I would be using it for gaming, UHD Netflix/Amazon and movies.

Norse

Honestly a 2017 Vizio M series or tcl p605/7 and a new 1X will run you 1100-1200 for the 55" models. Unless you plan on having your TV for 10yrs, your better off with one of these two over the higher prices TV's out there. Rtings.com pretty much shows the M series as one of the best TVs and soon the tcl will get it's review.

This all reminds me of the ol video cards problem back in the day...top of the line, or 1 peg lower at half the cost? Imo you're better off 1 peg lower. 100% sure if you upgrade more often.

Today's $650 Vizio M or tcl p605/7 are better TV's than those $2500 Samsung and Sony sets from just a couple yrs ago. So unless you're buying a TV that will be your main TV for a long time, the smart choice is the 1 peg lower TV's that get the best reviews. If money is no object, then this post isn't for you.

Klocker

Tentative fall release it sounds like

Thanks

As close as I sit I actually wonder if 55 might be just as well. It seems the larger, closer screen is great for movies but I noticed for games that the larger screen (sit close to a 60" now) makes it harder to pay attention to all the details of the game. I find my eyes are darting all over the screen to see the action. Smaller or closer would allow it all in my line of sight.

ncslamm

Picked up the TCL 55p605 from Best Buy yesterday. This TV is amazing for the price. I agree with what others have posted. It's not as good as the $2k TVs but it's pretty damn good. Input lag in game mode feels like playing on a monitor. It has to be somewhere in the teens in terms of ms. I tried it without game mode and it was still really damn good. My only issue is I haven't been able to find any calibration settings online so trying to find the best picture is a bit difficult. You have to use the phone app to change detailed picture settings.

Rbk_3

AGITΩ;241683289 said:
I wouldn't go that far. The Color Accuracy out of the MU8000 is way better than the KS8000 out of the box. Especially back when I had the two side by side at my store. Plus the Native 120hz on the MU8000 for 55"+ models as opposed to the 60hz on the KU7000 (and MU7000) is a noticeable difference. KU and MU 7 Series are virtually identical. the MU9000 is the only non-QLED line of TV's that still uses Quantum Dots, but Samsung doesn't want to put that model in Best Buys, so I've yet to mess around with the Unit to see how that fairs in comparison.

Well Rtings rated the MU8000 and KS8000 both 9.1 out of the box for color. I wouldn't put too much stock into the out of the box color when rating a TV, rather how well it calibrates, and the KS8000 calibrated near perfectly. For reference, the Q9 is rated significantly worse out of the box at 7.9. LG Oleds are significantly worse as well rating 7.9 for the C7, 8.0 for the B6, and 8.4 for the B6.

In fact the KS8000 outperforms both the MU8000 and Q7 overall and even the Q9 in many of the most important areas. The numbers I put the most stock into for an HDR TV is (based on Rtings review):

Peak Brightness
KS8000 1472 Nits
Q9 1410 Nits
Q7 807 Nits
MU8000 583 Nits

Contrast Ratio
KS8000 6900:1
Q9 5069:1
Q7 4700:1
MU8000 4700:1

Black Uniformity
KS8000 9.9/10 Native Std. Dev: 0.432 %
MU8000 8.4/10 Native Std. Dev: 1.271 %
Q7 7.8/10 Native Std. Dev: 1.618 %
Q9 7.7/10 Native Std. Dev: 1.691 %

Grey Uniformity
Q7 7.8/10 50% Std. Dev: 3.955 % 50% DSE: 0.147 %
MU8000 7.8/10 50% Std. Dev: 4.068 % 50% DSE: 0.15 %
KS8000 7.5/10 50% Std. Dev: 3.536 % 50% DSE: 0.165 %
Q9 6.5/10 50% Std. Dev: 6.341 % 50% DSE: 0.218 %

Wide Color Gamut
Q7 DCI P3 99/99
Q9 DCI P3 98/99
KS8000 DCI P3 92/96
MU8000 DCI P3 83/94

Motion Response Time
Q7 9.9ms
Q9 10.4ms
MU8000 11.5ms
KS8000 18ms

Input Lag
All have great input lag in the low 20ms

Bgamer90

Banned

I'm getting the X900E soon. I saw it at Best Buy yesterday and it's a great TV -- amazing picture quality.

I own this one www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/hisense/h8c

I did alot of research and couldn't afford a Samsung and I arrived on the Hisense H8C.This model isnt the "true" HDR but its a great introduction until prices comes down a bit and HDR becomes better and more common.

I love this TV for my PS4Pro the picture quality is amazing for the price and it input lag is low enough that I dont notice it.

KS8000 (UK) or XE900, both in 49 inch models. I would be using it for gaming, UHD Netflix/Amazon and movies.

Personally, I'd go for the X900E because of the better motion performance and Local Dimming.

ps: I own a 49KS7000.

Nothus

Both the KS8000 and the KS7000 are discontinued so good luck finding either in the UK.
Latest model is MU7000.

RedAssedApe

Banned
I'm getting the X900E soon. I saw it at Best Buy yesterday and it's a great TV -- amazing picture quality.

man i wanted this tv bad too but the 65inch seemed to be inching near oled pricing. decided to "cheap out"

Picked up the TCL 55p605 from Best Buy yesterday. This TV is amazing for the price. I agree with what others have posted. It's not as good as the $2k TVs but it's pretty damn good. Input lag in game mode feels like playing on a monitor. It has to be somewhere in the teens in terms of ms. I tried it without game mode and it was still really damn good. My only issue is I haven't been able to find any calibration settings online so trying to find the best picture is a bit difficult. You have to use the phone app to change detailed picture settings.

I ended up placing an order too. I wonder if i'll feel the difference in input lag. Time to dust off that copy of SFV. Bummer that you can't enable FALD in game mode though.

How's the glare? That's another thing I've seen a few people harp about.

man i wanted this tv bad too but the 65inch seemed to be inching near oled pricing. decided to "cheap out"

I ended up placing an order too. I wonder if i'll feel the difference in input lag. Time to dust off that copy of SFV. Bummer that you can't enable FALD in game mode though.

How's the glare? That's another thing I've seen a few people harp about.

I have one setup in a bedroom I turned into my media/game room and the glare isn't great to be honest. It's not terribly bothersome to me, but if you hate glare then it will probably be an annoyance.

ultrazilla

Gold Member
This is what I bought once I got my PS4 Pro and I totally recommend it for games/enthusiasts who don't want to "break the bank"-

The Hisense 50" 4k HDR tv for $499.

I really do think it's the perfect 4K HDR television for Xbox One S(soon X) and PS4 Pro owners.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/hisense...h-dynamic-range-black/4982500.p?skuId=4982500

The tv has been awesome. HDR is the game changer. Deep, solid blacks. Vibrant, spectacular color. The image quality on mine is freaking amazing!

It's funny it mentions "plasma televisions" in the spec check list I pasted below as I have a Panasonic 50" Plasma 3D 1080P television and this Hisense has even *better* colors and deeper blacks.

Specs:

Up-scale entertainment to near-4K quality

4K HD engine up-scales the picture through a multi-step data analysis that enhances the details of movies, sports, video games, and more.
49.5" screen (measured diagonally from corner to corner)

A great size for a living room or mid-sized home theater space.
2160p resolution for breathtaking HD images

Watch 4K movies and TV shows at 4x the resolution of Full HD, and upscale your current HD content to gorgeous, Ultra HD-level picture quality.
High dynamic range (HDR) creates a more realistic picture

HDR technology expands the contrast and color range of the existing pixels on your TV for better, brighter, more colorful image. The picture quality is noticeably more natural.
Built-in Wi-Fi Smart TV means a huge world of entertainment

Stream from Netflix, YouTube, Pandora, Vudu, Vimeo, and more.
LED TVs perform well in all lighting conditions

They also deliver plasma-like deep blacks and rich colors.
Advanced TV sound

Two 10W main channel speakers.
Enjoy the picture from multiple angles

178° horizontal and vertical viewing angles provide a clear picture for viewers seated near the side of the screen.
Motion Rate 120

Enjoy high-speed action with good motion clarity.
3 USB inputs

Easily connect your digital camera, camcorder or other USB device.

Web-based services and content require high-speed Internet service. Some services may require a subscription.

I highly recommend it!

Norse

I went to Wally looking for the TCL P-Series. Is it me or do they only carry the lower end models each year?

My Walmart just redid the entire tv section. They have Vizio m and p series, Sammy mu7000 series, tons of lg models, tcl S, and Hisense 6 series. Hoping they get the 8 series and tcl P series soon.

And yes, they have the supreme budget TV's by other manufacturers too but overall they have greatly increased the presentation for the mid and upper tier TV's they sell.

wtd2009

This is what I bought once I got my PS4 Pro and I totally recommend it for games/enthusiasts who don't want to "break the bank"-

The Hisense 50" 4k HDR tv for $499.

I really do think it's the perfect 4K HDR television for Xbox One S(soon X) and PS4 Pro owners.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/hisense...h-dynamic-range-black/4982500.p?skuId=4982500

The tv has been awesome. HDR is the game changer. Deep, solid blacks. Vibrant, spectacular color. The image quality on mine is freaking amazing!

It's funny it mentions "plasma televisions" in the spec check list I pasted below as I have a Panasonic 50" Plasma 3D 1080P television and this Hisense has even *better* colors and deeper blacks.

I highly recommend it!

Heard a lot of good things about this model, rtings seems to like it too. hell of a deal, that 55 inch for $550. I'm looking forward to this year's model's reviews

My Walmart just redid the entire tv section. They have Vizio m and p series, Sammy mu7000 series, tons of lg models, tcl S, and Hisense 6 series. Hoping they get the 8 series and tcl P series soon.

And yes, they have the supreme budget TV's by other manufacturers too but overall they have greatly increased the presentation for the mid and upper tier TV's they sell.

The one I live by did the same. They have everything you mentioned, except the Vizio P-Series.

Josh378

Odd. When I searched this deal, it was no longer available. Hopefully, it'll last a few more days. I'm waiting for my credit card payment to go through, so I can order one.

They removed the old page and made another. You have to type in Samsung in the searchbar instead of KS8000 to find it. Wish you luck on getting the tv.

Just my 2 cents, i'd feel more comfortable buying a Refurbished tv from the manufacturer or a reputable retailer (Walmart, Costco, BJs etc) rather than on Groupon where I don't know who the seller is. Looking at the warranty it seems like the repairs would be sent to an unknown facility in Santa Fe Springs...Not sure it's worth the headache if you get a lemon.

Just my 2 cents, i'd feel more comfortable buying a Refurbished tv from the manufacturer or a reputable retailer (Walmart, Costco, BJs etc) rather than on Groupon where I don't know who the seller is. Looking at the warranty it seems like the repairs would be sent to an unknown facility in Santa Fe Springs...Not sure it's worth the headache if you get a lemon.

Yeah, I saw that. I checked earlier this morning. I think I'm going to take the chance. I found a 49" at Best Buy. It was a display model and priced at $949.

Josh378

Well that's also a double-edged sword. You could miss out on a $1200+ valued TV for $750, which gets great reviews and specs. And its future proof in its tech. So this could go both ways. Just have to take a chance I guess.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Odd. When I searched this deal, it was no longer available. Hopefully, it'll last a few more days. I'm waiting for my credit card payment to go through, so I can order one.

you won't find it searching ks 8000 because its ks800. i believe there was a costco sku that they called the ks800

Norse

Is target carrying the tcl p605/7 yet? I know they sell the 2016 model....hmm, may have to check their site quick.

TV tech has been moving way too fast the past few years. So glad I returned that $2499 Sony 4k set 3-4 yrs ago and exchanged for a $900 1080p Vizio m series tv. Now for $700 I can replace it with a 2017 Vizio 4k HDR M series set that looks amazing. Much less painful financially for me as I ain't rich lol.

Top Bottom