• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best Buy strategic planning calendar. PS3 demo kiosks October 20. Wii Oct 29.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Laguna X said:
Damn, people camping out just to play demos on a kiosk. That's insane!

Holy shit...the nearest best buy is a bit of a subway ride from here. I don't want to play that badly.:lol

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Laguna X said:
What you talking about... insane? I'm posting from my best buy's parking lot as we speak! :lol

Dahbomb

There are camps to play the kiosk already? :lol

It's doesn't even get displayed until 2-3 days from now does it? I REALLY want to play the PS3 badly! :(

SuperPac

Best Buy near me completely redid their video game section and I noticed a big empty spot not unlike where the standee in the pictures was positioned. But they didn't have anything up yet. They also moved the 360 away from the nice La-Z-Boys to the *back* of the game section (wow).

Dahbomb

SuperPac said:
Best Buy near me completely redid their video game section and I noticed a big empty spot not unlike where the standee in the pictures was positioned. But they didn't have anything up yet. They also moved the 360 away from the nice La-Z-Boys to the *back* of the game section (wow).
Hardly surprising, it's following the exact instructions on those black pages in the first post.

Y2Kev

TekunoRobby said:
How many happy baby faces out of five do you give the butterflies in your stomach?

It's not baby faces out of baby faces. There are specific baby faces for each score.

-Rogue5-

I wonder if this demo rollout will happen at BB stores in Canada as well. I'm right near a brand new store right downtown Toronto.

Any Canadian BB employees on GAF have any details?

Y2Kev

TekunoRobby said:
Repost that score guide, it was hilarious. :lol

Yoboman said:
The Taru-Taru baby rating scale

angry_baby_head.jpg

BBOY1.jpg

funny-sad-baby.jpg

home_baby.jpg

tarubaby.gif

I give PS3 anticipation a 5.

Speevy

Banned
Dahbomb said:
Even if it's just Resistance or Heavenly Sword, I am SO there! :)

Heavenly Sword? They're not going to demo that. I guarantee you guys it's either Resistance, Motorstorm, or both. Perhaps some sports games too.

TwIsTeD

Laguna X said:

yea i just hung up my hardcore gamer jacket for good.....sorry but if you want to camp out to play a game system then you can take the damn thing cause i`ll at least be playing it in the comfort of my bedroom in a months time....(but i`ll be by at lunch tomorrow to check it out :lol )

-Rogue5-

TwIsTeD said:
yea i just hung up my hardcore gamer jacket for good.....sorry but if you want to camp out to play a game system then you can take the damn thing cause i`ll at least be playing it in the comfort of my bedroom in a months time....(but i`ll be by at lunch tomorrow to check it out :lol )

As bad as it is, people did wait like, what, 5 hours at E3 to play Wii? Sure it's indoors, but that's still a sh*tf*ck long time to wait.

Not saying I would camp just to play a demo unit, but if it's actually rolling out tomorrow in my area I'd make a point of going to go play it - same with the Wii demo kiosks (but like I said, the store is literally 3-5mins walk from me.) That is, of course, assuming the line wasn't more than half an hour.

Dahbomb

Speevy said:
Heavenly Sword? They're not going to demo that. I guarantee you guys it's either Resistance, Motorstorm, or both. Perhaps some sports games too.
Not even the E3 demo? Hell I would play that, it's better than a lot of other PS3 games and it's an easy crowd pleaser.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
mckmas8808 said:
Bad_boy are you serious?
haha I was joking. Im not that insane as he said, but I will probably drive by my local best buy tommorrow to check it out (if it's even up tommorrow).

TwIsTeD

-Rogue5- said:
As bad as it is, people did wait like, what, 5 hours at E3 to play Wii? Sure it's indoors, but that's still a sh*tf*ck long time to wait.

Not saying I would camp just to play a demo unit, but if it's actually rolling out tomorrow in my area I'd make a point of going to go play it - same with the Wii demo kiosks (but like I said, the store is literally 3-5mins walk from me.) That is, of course, assuming the line wasn't more than half an hour.

but all night in the cold....i mean a preorder is one thing but seriously this entire "next-gen" experience is basically about bragging rights like "oh man PS3 man that thing is the shit i just waited in line for 40 hours to play it at Best Buy" yea the Wii lines at E3 were long, but its not like they are going to sell out of time to play the kiosk.....sure I wanna play it as badly as the next person, but not to wait in line all night and basically say Hi I have no life and can camp out for this, why waste the energy just camp out and buy the system :D

Wollan

Heavenly Sword would be the smartest choice though. The incredible visuals and ease of playing brings the message forward quickly.

TwIsTeD

Wollan said:
Heavenly Sword would be the smartest choice though. The incredible visuals and ease of playing brings the message forward quickly.

yea but you know its gonna be Resistance....Madden....NFS Carbon ( i can smell EA from here)

Resistance won't be playable as it is an "M" rated game. Big Box retailers stay away from this. GS/EB is the only store that will demo "M" rated content.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
jetsetmario said:
Resistance won't be playable as it is an "M" rated game. Big Box retailers stay away from this. GS/EB is the only store that will demo "M" rated content.
yeah I was thinking this as well. maybe heavenly sword, motorstorm, ridge racer 7, nba 07, full auto 2, nba 2k7, etc....

who knows.

Wollan

Insomniac could simply remove the blood for a public demo. (Speaking of that I can't remember if the TGS demo had blood)

adg1034

So, are GS/EB going to have the kiosks in tomorrow, too? With all this unbridled hilarity we've been spewing, it's hard to keep the facts straight.

Bog

Junior Ace
My friend Dino is camping out tonight for it. Sound crazy? Well here's a picture of him for reference.

thatdino.jpg

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Dude...teh hell. People are lining up for a kiosk! A DAMN DEMO STATION!?

I wonder if they will do the same for the Wiiosks.
thanks for the word mandoric

-Rogue5-

passed by my local BB today in Toronto - they had nothing PS3 related...

...well, except maybe the PS2 and PSP, but that doesn't count.

teiresias

I was at a local BB yesterday and they had those cardboard placeholders up, at least the one saving the spot for the games, I didn't think to look at the endcaps for a placeholder for the kiosk - I was too enamored by the completely renovated TV and associated electronics section - looked nice and clean!

Zep

Banned
*I HAVE PLAYED THE PLAYSTATION 3*

Not to think that I would have ever uttered those words before November 17 but it has happened. It’s almost to overwhelming to all take in right now. The atmosphere and everything is just buzzing with Playstation 3 here. They have had to create a longer line for more people to wait in. This is attracting a huge crowd. Let me put it to you like this, anyone between the age of 13 and 35 that has walked through the door has asked about what is going on. Before we walked into the Magnolia area the first 4 of us were patted down and wanded like you would be at an airport. This was to check for any kinds of recording devices. They were very strict about this. Again, I am sorry it took me so long to write this up, my hands are still shaking. And now on to what you have all been waiting for.

The System:

Besides the fact that the console is EXTREMELY shiny, it is amazing to look at. We were playing on the 60 GB version with full working wireless and wired internet. But we’ll get into that in a bit. Each of us got to turn it off, on, and reset it. Trust me it was an experience in its own. The buttons on the front ARE touch sensitive using body heat. The unit also had each type of flash card already in the system so we could see how to access, edit, and delete content that was stored. From the moment you turn it on you know it’s a Sony! The colorful background and music make you feel comfortable while holding the AMAZING new Six Axis controller. Ill get into that in a bit as well. The unit we were using was connected through HDMI as I previously mentioned in an earlier update. We were playing on a Bravia as well with full 7.1 surround. The stereo had a black plastic cover over it so we couldn’t see the model, but it obviously hasn’t released yet.

The XMB:

As with the videos flying all over the internet, the new cross media bar is present with FULL functionality. What did I just say? FULL? That’s right. Everything was accessible. This model had been reset to use for today so that meant creating a Playstation user ID immediately after we turned on the console. Since there were 4 of us we each got to create a user ID with each of our controllers. The layout of the XMB is the same as the more recent pics released on the internet. Configuration for all the settings, pictures, videos, music, it was all there. There was preloaded content on the HDD. It was not confirmed whether or not it would launch preloaded with the system. The friends option was also present. We added each of our Playstation user ID’s and each of us showed up on the list. We were also showed a demo of how the camera will work during the XMB and during a game. No we weren’t using the new Eye Toy, actually the eye toy for the PS2, but it still showed us what to expect. You can choose to record while in the XMB, or broadcast during a game.

Blu-Ray:
After playing around with the XMB it was time to see why the console is $600. The rep pulled out “Click” on Blu-ray. After maneuvering through the menus and watching some of the movie we were all impressed. The quality looked amazing and the sound was incredible in 7.1. I was very impressed with the loading times as well. Especially loading the disc in the slot, very fast! Both of the games we played were also on Blu-ray discs.

Games:

After getting enough of Adam Sandler, it was time to actually try out the system for gaming. Before I get into the games let me talk about the controller.

Controller:

As of late there have been very few negative comments about the controller. I can safely say that if you like the current controller, you will be right at home with this guy. Yes, it is lighter. Yes, the vibration is gone. But Sony has made up for this. It seems to be VERY responsive with its motion sensing capabilities. Even though we only played one game that utilizes it, it was enough. To the comments about the controller feeling like a cheap piece of plastic, you are very mistaken. It’s something new, and has been changed. Remember, were supposed to be Welcoming Chang3 remember? Anyways you get used to it, that comment was very drastic. The Playstation button takes you to the XMB and pauses the current game, allowing you to go back and look at a picture, play a quick song, or browse the internet for cheats before continuing in the game. The trigger buttons feel okay as well, a good change for games like Resistance. People with sweaty hands though, take warning, you may need a towel next to you. The controller feels a lot better with dry hands.

Games Cont:

Now back to the games. Resistance and Lair, still just demos, are games that look pure amazing. Now of course it doesn’t hurt to be playing on a 1080p set, but they really are stunning. The combination of the power of the PS3 and the motion sensing made Lair a very fun game. Lair will be released on March 1, 2007. Resistance was amazing as well. If you like fps then you will need to get this on launch. Again with the graphics and surround sound, you forget about even having the vibration in the controller. The vibration from the subwoofer was enough, maybe even better. If a grenade goes off in real life, does it just shake your hands? NO. It rocked the sub we were using and made it feel like it went off outside the store.

Finally what about the Online? What is it called? What does it look like? Let me assure you we are still wondering ourselves. After trying to connect to the Playstation Network we were greeted with a screen that said coming November, 17, 2006. We assume you will figure that out tomorrow from the Playstation Show. Any other questions? Post away, I probably have the answers!

http://www.ps3forums.com/showthread.php?t=33719

jjasper

Insane Metal said:
Teh lies. They hurt. =´[

:lol Yeah I don't believe it either but there is a Best Buy right now the street from the gym so I will probably go by there tonight anyway cause I am a sucker like that:lol

Meier

lunlunqq said:
passed by my BB in nashua, nh. they have nothing ps3 related... :(

I just finished a bond for a lady in Nashua, NH... pain in the ass since we pretty much never do them for NH and didnt have the form for it. :(

Jeff-DSA

Controller:

As of late there have been very few negative comments about the controller. I can safely say that if you like the current controller, you will be right at home with this guy. Yes, it is lighter. Yes, the vibration is gone. But Sony has made up for this. It seems to be VERY responsive with its motion sensing capabilities. Even though we only played one game that utilizes it, it was enough. To the comments about the controller feeling like a cheap piece of plastic, you are very mistaken. It’s something new, and has been changed. Remember, were supposed to be Welcoming Chang3 remember? Anyways you get used to it, that comment was very drastic. The Playstation button takes you to the XMB and pauses the current game, allowing you to go back and look at a picture, play a quick song, or browse the internet for cheats before continuing in the game. The trigger buttons feel okay as well, a good change for games like Resistance. People with sweaty hands though, take warning, you may need a towel next to you. The controller feels a lot better with dry hands.

Lies. It feels cheap and it's WAAAAAAAYYY too light. Also, the triggers are poo.

Still, I really can't wait to get one of these into my entertainment center. I'm starting to doubt that I'll be able to get one in November, but hopefully sometime this year I'll luck out.

Top Bottom