• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best First Level Music

JEKKI

fucking Guardian Heroes mang cant believe nobody mention it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rl5e9xKz9n8

it's like "dun dun duh dun dun duh dun dun duh dun dun dun dun dun dun duh dun dun duh dun dun duh dun dun duh dun dun duh dun dun duh dun dun duh dun dun duh dun dun duh dun dun duh dun dun duh dun dun duh"

shyt it epic!

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
"Flight" from Panzer Dragoon. I'm pretty sure Sega wanted to outright wow people with the Saturn, so having a full-blown orchestral piece serve as the backing to the surreal sunken city landscape (complete with impressive-in-1994 water effects to seal the deal) was a great choice. Unfortunately, it must've been somewhat prohibitively expensive to use that orchestra, because they only did two other tunes in the game (the title theme and the credits theme), but what was done still holds up quite well today. Comparatively, Zwei's ("Destiny Begins") is a bit too erratic and shrill, although Saga's ("A Premonition of War") is a pretty good tune for coming to grips with the dragon's overworld controls, featuring the credits theme for the first time.

Excellent post with some excellent picks, but this one in particular stands out. Can't believe I forgot about Panzer Dragoon, Flight is one of my favorite game tracks. Such a pretty song.

Donkey Kong Country's DK Island Swing. Who would have thought jazz would work so well with a jungle setting. And it's two tunes in one - one half an upbeat jazz number, the other half tranquil and calming.

It's so good they still use it now. It has sort of become DK's theme music.

Tim Follin's music in general is excellent.

What a shame that most of the games he does music for are terrible. I suppose Plok was pretty great, though.

Teknoman

End of video game career

Around August 2005, Follin announced on his website "with much delight" that he had chosen to stop composing music for video games, citing its irregular work not providing a substantial income, light-heartedly adding that the situation caused him "distress and illness." The tenuous nature of game development caused several instances of Follin being hired and subsequently having the project shelved. Follin noted that Starsky & Hutch had been in development for around three years before eventually being released

Ugh, he should have been hired by a larger developer...too talented to be working on Starsky and Hutch...

Not really digging the tracks the OP posted as great first level songs. I do however agree with the Mario Galaxy track. That's how you make a statement.

Brashnir

Thunder Force 3.

It's only the 4th or 5th best song in the game, but still qualifies for this list.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXfGEgLfO-k

I suppose since the game has a level select, you could play one of the even-better ones first if you like.

Gotta love how there are almost no current gen games being mentioned.

I think that's mostly a product of game design in the old days. Back then, you'd hear the first stage music dozens and dozens of times. In modern games that are meant to be played through a single time, you don't often get that feeling.

That said, the first world music from Rayman: Origins is pretty great.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3wLm_aT85s

There are so many games with great first level songs.

All of these are iconic:

Streets of Rage 2
Megaman X
Sonic 1
Super Mario Bros.
Castlevania Rondo of Blood
Castlevania IV
Doom

These are also really, really good:

Super Mario Galaxy
DoDonPachi Dai Ou Jou
Lumines

And that's just scratching the surface...

big_z

Actraiser is the only correct answer. You kids should download the game on the virtual console and then you will understand.

Top Bottom