• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best gaming monitor

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Love my 120hz benq, the difference is night and day! I have ips for graphics works but when I game it's 120hz all the way. I feel like I'm using a CRT again :)

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
The best monitor from a pure gameplay perspective is going to be a CRT, because you can drop res and drive them to 160-200Hz without being blinded by jaggies. There is no input lag either. I got mine for $5 at Goodwill.

They're pretty impractical for daily use but they make for nice secondary monitors for highly competitive online games.

I use my Asus LCD for everything else. They make good products.

The best monitor from a pure gameplay perspective is going to be a CRT, because you can drop res and drive them to 160-200Hz without being blinded by jaggies. There is no input lag either. I got mine for $5 at Goodwill.

They're pretty impractical for daily use but they make for nice secondary monitors for highly competitive online games.

Yep, I still check craigslist for fw900. Still the best monitor of all time.

I wanted a VH236 (low input lag) because I play fighting games primarily. But newegg did a labor day sale and I settled on an ASUS VH242H.

Heard good reviews from SRK folks that vouch it is a good alternative to the vh236

WS2Pt.gif

This is what I do. CRT for gaming, flat panel for everything else.

This is probably the best IPS monitor @2560x1600 available. It has faster response time than the Dell equivalent, and is a whole lot cheaper. They offer a 4-year warranty for cheap, and it's overclockable from 60Hz, too(not recommended). You'll need a hefty card to push it though. It has a list of compatible cards on the website: most AMD cards work with it, all nVidia's cards work.

FYI: I'm also a fan of the Asus ones.

TheExodu5

Banned

For competitive gaming, absolutely.

For IQ purposes...I'd say the cons outweigh the pros at this point.

edit: I should rephrase...I'd probably only give the edge for Counter-Strike 1.6, since it greatly benefits from running at 640*480 or 800*600. Not sure if any other games behave the same way. There are definitely 120Hz TN panels with non-existant input lag out there, and they'd probably be better due to size, geometry, and wide FOV for many 16:10/16:9 games.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
It's pretty old, but most companies don't care at all about input lag. The VH236H has been thoroughly tested and widely accepted for at least fighting game tournaments as well as a lot of MLG tournies. Most Asus monitors have great (very low) input lag, but the actual amount varies. Most of the VH series tends to do well though. The VH238H is supposed to be the successor to the VH236H. It has the same input lag and is LED backlit, but there's not a lot of differences except that it's usually more expensive (and I guess has better black levels). Asus also released a new monitor labeled "The Evo Monitor" (except it's not the Evo monitor...), but I don't think anyone's tested input lag on it yet.
Apart from fighters, is it still worth it for regular gaming? I don't really notice input lag anyway so if that is the only plus point of the monitor I can imagine a lot of people going with others, I'll check out that 8H successor too

mr stroke

IMO-

Good cheap 22" panel

Asus VS229H-P decent colors, IPS, and cheap($140-160)

Best 120hz panel-

SAMSUNG S27A950D-best in the business colors for an IPS, fast, no lag, and small bezels.

Best 27" panel-

Apple Cinema Display(price premium over the DELLS, Catleaps, and HP's) but the high gloss, glass panel is beautiful

Best 30" panel-

DELL U3011-High res, great colors as long as you don't mind the heavy anti glare coating

Best money is no object panel-

NEC 30" PA301W-BK-SV

SmokeMaxX

Apart from fighters, is it still worth it for regular gaming? I don't really notice input lag anyway so if that is the only plus point of the monitor I can imagine a lot of people going with others, I'll check out that 8H successor too

If you don't notice input lag (or don't care about it), it's still a very quality monitor. Not too expensive and has a nice picture for the price. I think its #1 selling point is its low input lag, so I don't know if it's still a "great value" if that doesn't interest you. If you're playing WoW, LoL, etc it's probably not important. Low input lag can help you in FPS, Fighters, and Rhythm games though.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Agreed. Most people probably won't respond because it's the same arguments over and over. There's plenty of threads where all possible viewpoints are expressed.

Pretty much.
As far as i know people will just keep mentioning their favorite monitor ad nauseum and this thread will get stale very fast

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
If you don't notice input lag (or don't care about it), it's still a very quality monitor. Not too expensive and has a nice picture for the price. I think its #1 selling point is its low input lag, so I don't know if it's still a "great value" if that doesn't interest you. If you're playing WoW, LoL, etc it's probably not important. Low input lag can help you in FPS, Fighters, and Rhythm games though.
Thanks mate

b3b0p

IMO-

Good cheap 22" panel

Asus VS229H-P decent colors, IPS, and cheap($140-160)

Best 120hz panel-

SAMSUNG S27A950D-best in the business colors for an IPS, fast, no lag, and small bezels.

Best 27" panel-

Apple Cinema Display(price premium over the DELLS, Catleaps, and HP's) but the high gloss, glass panel is beautiful

Best 30" panel-

DELL U3011-High res, great colors as long as you don't mind the heavy anti glare coating

Best money is no object panel-

NEC 30" PA301W-BK-SV
Apple and Dell U2711 use (or used to anyway) have the exact same panel, but only difference was the anti-glare coating on the Dell (I don't mind it; I own it) versus the glass glossy Apple (I don't mind it either; I own it).

I use both and honestly, the color difference is very near the same. The Dell does not have as much pop on bright colors, but light does not kill it with glare.

Plus for the Dell is zero dead pixel policy and up to a 5 year warranty pretty cheap relative to other warranty service or coverage services I have seen. Also, the inputs allow it to be used for other things. My Dell cost me about $800 or so and my Apple was shy slightly over $1000 with Taxes and Applecare. Apple does not have zero dead pixel policy and the warranty is only 3 years with Applecare.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
My monitor seems to be starting to die, or at least there's some mechanical problem within that I'm not sure how to fix. (It seems like power is interrupted to the monitor for a few seconds at a time intermittently, but it's more likely an issue with the control buttons than the power supply, as mashing down one of the menu buttons usually solves the problem temporarily.)

Would this: Acer S220HQLAbd Black 21.5" 5ms LED Backlight Widescreen LCD Monitor 250 cd/m2 ACM 100,000,000:1 (1000:1) be a reasonable substitute for Samsung 2333SW 23-Inch Full HD Widescreen LCD Monitor

I hate to downgrade to a smaller monitor, but it would be nice to have a thinner one. Nobody had an answer to my question in the Stupid Questions thread, so how difficult and risky is it to open an LCD monitor and poke around inside it? Do they have the same mechanism that CRTs had that could fatally electrocute you weeks after the last time it was plugged in?

DarthWoo

I should add that I don't really play any games that require exceptionally low response time, so the 5ms of my current Samsung seems to be acceptable.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
How about a 1080p monitor that scales down ok when playing games on a laptop that might need to drop to 1600x900 or 1280x720?

Also with decent colours for photo editing

Orayn

Are there 24-27" versions of the "EVO monitor" with the same snappy response time? Yes, I know, non-IPS panels suck but please tell me anyway.

HiiiLife

So between the Benq xl2420t and Asus vh236h.. Which would you guys pick? I've came to these two.

Which has given you a better image? Shades? Response time?

And I'm gonna be playing consoles and PC on the monitor so please help me out GAF :)

Ardenyal

Are there 24-27" versions of the "EVO monitor" with the same snappy response time?

Asus vh238 is basically the same as the EVO monitor except it has LED backlight. Got one a week ago and it's a really good gaming monitor. I've played on IPS monitors/TVs for the last 5 years and the difference in response time is amazing, CS:GO actually became playable on KB/M on PS3.

Colors take a bit of tweaking but the picture quality color wise is tolerable, not nearly as bad as the TN panels from a few years ago.

Infinity

The Asus VW246H/VK246H (European Version) is also highly regarded as being nearly "lagless".

http://www.prad.de/en/monitore/review/2009/review-asus-vk246h.html#Introduction

I have one, and the colors are not bad for a TN. My HP 2711x, being a LED backlit panel, has punchier colors, but appears to lack the response time of the VW246H.

The VW246H is a solid choice for gamers on a budget.

The VG23AH is another one I'd consider: For $249, from Amazon, you can get a 23" IPS semi-glossy panel that with custom timings, supports 72Hz. It also provides passive 3D out of the box. To my knowledge, this is the first IPS panel that comes with a semi-glossy coating. Others like the Dell U2412M have pretty aggressive coating that can make whites look grainy/sparkly. Opinions vary on whether or not this is a good or bad thing.

Reviews:
http://www.kitguru.net/peripherals/monitors/zardon/asus-vg23ah-monitor-review/
http://wecravegamestoo.com/forums/g...h-review-semi-glossy-72hz-passive-3d-ips.html

Good luck with your search, and I hope this is helpful.

HiiiLife

And I know this sounds silly but I keep hearing some monitors are good for PC only and some are only good for consoles.

I think I'm gonna go with the Asus vh236. Am I gonna have trouble with ratios or other stuff when I hook up my consoles and laptop?

DarthWoo

Seems like my monitor's problems are getting progressively worse and I'm not sure if I can just crack it open so I suppose I'll just go with a slightly smaller one.

What about 16:9 only games though? I mean, I much prefer CRTs too, but are there 16:9 CRTs out there? Most PC games still have 4:3 options, but some now are 16:9 only, and those black bars are kind of annoying... (yes, my main monitor is a CRT)

My other monitor is a pretty bad (and also 4:3) LCD, but I don't use it for gaming so the quality doesn't matter as much. Still though, color quality is atrocious compared to the CRT. It might be nice if I had one decent 16:9 LCD though, for the games that only work in that aspect ratio.

What about 16:9 only games though? I mean, I much prefer CRTs too, but are there 16:9 CRTs out there? Most PC games still have 4:3 options, but some now are 16:9 only, and those black bars are kind of annoying... (yes, my main monitor is a CRT)

My other monitor is a pretty bad (and also 4:3) LCD, but I don't use it for gaming so the quality doesn't matter as much. Still though, color quality is atrocious compared to the CRT. It might be nice if I had one decent 16:9 LCD though, for the games that only work in that aspect ratio.

Sony FW900 is seriously the best monitor you could buy. It is widescreen.

Decado

Going to buy a monitor tomorrow. Looking at these:

ASUS PA248Q $330
BenQ XL2420T $380

ASUS VH236H $180
ASUS VH242H $160

Which is the better between those two sets? And what am I paying almost double for if I go for one of the more expensive ones? 3D? thx

PaulLFC

Bit of a bump, sorry, this was the most recent monitor thread I could find though.

I'm looking for a new monitor, it seems my choice is between either IPS or 120Hz, because according to this, outside of one brand of monitor which supposedly has changed and no longer supports it, 120Hz IPS monitors don't exist yet. If either that's changed or the article's wrong, great. But if it isn't, it seems I have a choice to make.

Now I wouldn't describe myself as a competitive gamer, far from it. Outside of a few online matches on FIFA or Pro Evo I usually play single player in the majority of games, except for when friends are round and obviously we play local multiplayer. So high response rates aren't that important to me. Then again, 120Hz is apparently good for games in general, although I'll admit to not knowing much about it having only just decided I need a new monitor.

3D is another thing I was looking in to, but I'm wary of buying a "3D monitor" and then it not supporting 3D vision. I saw this LG 3D monitor over at Amazon, and after a bit of hunting for the specs on LG's website, it turned out it was only 60Hz, not 120Hz which 3D Vision apparently requires. If I want a 3D-vision ready monitor it seems I'm looking at £400+, at least from Amazon, whose search is proving absolutely useless at finding any of the other Vision-capable monitors from a list I saw. Can anyone recommend a cheap (Ideally £250 or less) 3D-Vision ready monitor? If they're more expensive than that I think I'll stick with just an IPS and wait for them to drop in price a bit.

Chalk me down for another vote toward the BenQ XL2420T. Such an amazing monitor for gaming, I can't imagine using anything else until there are higher DPI monitors with 120Hz. That said, I wouldn't mind a second IPS/PLS monitor for games that don't even support framerates above 60.

PaulLFC

The BenQ XL2420T should be GBP 280 or so, and it's one of the best (if not the best) 120 Hz gaming monitors currently available.

http://imgur.com/bw2ga.jpg[img]

Get a Samsung S23A700/750/950D if you want to sacrifice a bit of input lag for better colors. I have both, and if I'm not playing something like T:A or War sow, I prefer the Samsung.

IPS/high Res guys are objectively wrong. Hopefully we can have both someday.[/QUOTE]
Thanks for the suggestions, looking into all of these at the moment. The BenQ appears to be the most expensive of those available over here (the S23A950D doesn't seem to be available in the UK), so I'm going to compare specs on all 3 and decide. A plus point for the Samsungs is that Overclockers are offering a zero dead pixel guarantee - they have the BenQ in stock but the product page doesn't mention the guarantee, so I'll query that with them. The Samsungs also have a 3 year warranty vs the BenQ's two year one.

As for the S23A750D, I notice it only has HDMI and DisplayPort inputs, no DVI. My graphics card output situation is a bit complicated, currently my GTX 460 is set up like this:

DVI Port 1 - nothing
DVI Port 2 - nothing
Mini-HDMI Port - A/V receiver (using mini-HMDI > HDMI cable).

So my HDMI port is already taken. Can I just get a DVI -> HDMI converter and use another HDMI cable with this to connect it to the 750D's HDMI port? Just wondering if the graphics card would complain about outputting to two HDMI sources at the same time, or whether it will see the converted one as a DVI connection (the A/V receiver connection will only be for sound once I get my monitor connected).

[b]Edit:[/b] Just read this in one of the customer reviews for the 750D:

[quote]if you are buying this for 120hz frequency in 2d I would not bother unless your graphics card has a Displayport port on it. [b]It is impossible to achieve 120hz using hdmi[/b] and this non gaming grade monitor doesn't have a dvi out. So it's displayport only for 120hz. I was mislead by the description of this monitor and I am now stuck on 60hz hdmi with my gtx 560ti which (like most nvidia cards) doesn't have displayport. If you dont have a displayport graphics card you will be better off with a tft, as 60hz you are seeing screen tearing on most games.[/quote]

Is that true (maybe I should know that)? My graphics card doesn't have DisplayPort so if it is, it would seem the best of the Samsungs available here is the 700D as that has a DVI port. Although I thought HDMI and DVI were essentially the same apart from DVI not carrying sound?

n0n44m

Edit: Just read this in one of the customer reviews for the 750D:

Is that true (maybe I should know that)? My graphics card doesn't have DisplayPort so if it is, it would seem the best of the Samsungs available here is the 700D as that has a DVI port. Although I thought HDMI and DVI were essentially the same apart from DVI not carrying sound?

you'll need Dual-Link DVI for 120 Hz 1080p ... (or Displayport obviously)

HDMI is basically "regular" DVI, which lacks the bandwith for 120 Hz 1080p (or 60 Hz 1440/1600p for that matter)

edit: ALSO i love my BenQ XL2420T ;) super smooth & responsive, very good stand as well

DSix

Banned
My bro who used to play CS competitively swears by his Iiyama CRT. Beastly.

Not just the CRTs, their LCDs are tailored for gaming too (and fair priced). 4 years ago I got a 24' for 200€ and it is perfect, no lag whatsoever and very good image quality, I hear their newer ones are even better.

I have a Dell Ultrasharp 2408, it's a few years old but I love it. I believe it's a TN panel.
Dell now has gone IPS with the Ultrasharp. If you watch any game developer behind the
Scenes you always see these panels. I use it for graphic design and my PS3 and 360.

PaulLFC

you'll need Dual-Link DVI for 120 Hz 1080p ... (or Displayport obviously)

HDMI is basically "regular" DVI, which lacks the bandwith for 120 Hz 1080p (or 60 Hz 1440/1600p for that matter)

edit: ALSO i love my BenQ XL2420T ;) super smooth & responsive, very good stand as well
Ah okay, thanks for the info. I'm not sure how useful the Samsung would be to me though, seems it's not on Nvidia's "approved" list for 3D vision, so does that mean it wouldn't work with their kit? I don't know why they couldn't just make it compatible with any 120Hz 3D monitor - unless that's the case and they just don't advertise it.

Desty

Banned
I have dual BenQ XL2420T and have been pleased with them. They are super wide and super bright compared to my old monitor. If I had to replace the BenQ I would probably try for 27 inch.

xJavonta

Banned
I want a 120Hz monitor but the price tag turns me off. I don't give two fucks about 3D and I want one that's cheaper and doesn't have that functionality.

Top Bottom