• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best gaming monitor

Mononoke

Banned
Well, I'm rockin a 30 inch 1600p monitor, and am never looking back. I've tried all sorts of monitors. 120hz, 1440p, a weird 2560x1080 Dell monitor, and even an eyefinity set up at a friends house. I never thought I would say it, but I much prefer the 16:10 ratio to 16.9 (especially at this higher resolution).

And in general, I prefer the higher resolution monitors to the refresh rate. But at the end of the day, it all comes down to preference. One thing I should say is, it totally depends on your living situations too. Not everyone has the same size room/ space to work with. And that really matters when it comes to screen real estate, and the viewing distance you have.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Have you tried a good 3D monitor with a game that has good 3D implementation?

It's a revelatory experience.

I think I've settled on Asus as a brand for my new monitor but I was looking to get some final input from you guys because I'm totally out of my element when it comes to understanding what most of these features even mean. I think I've narrowed it down to the Asus MX279H and the VE278Q. I was hoping someone here could tell me which would be a better choice.

knitoe

I think I've settled on Asus as a brand for my new monitor but I was looking to get some final input from you guys because I'm totally out of my element when it comes to understanding what most of these features even mean. I think I've narrowed it down to the Asus MX279H and the VE278Q. I was hoping someone here could tell me which would be a better choice.

The VE27Q is a TN panel. They are good for gaming (low lag), but worse picture quality and viewing angles. While, the MX279H is a IPS panel. They have better picture quality and viewing angles, but more lag. If the only thing important to you is gaming, get the VE27Q. Otherwise, buy the MX27H.

iNvid02

MX279H is a pretty cool looking ah-ips but IPS is all about maximising quality and accuracy, 1080p resolution at 27" is an poor choice. limited inputs (2x HDMI, 1x VGA) isnt too hot either.

if you're gonna go down the IPS display route get a higher resolution (2560x1440 or 2560x1600). as for the other one, it looks like a standard 1080p TN, it has a 2ms reponse time but i dont see anything about 120hz.

i wouldnt buy either of those. look back through this thread as there have been some good recommendations.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
I've been wanting the Eizo Foris FS2333 for a while now though don't have the cash for it just yet. Seems like a great 1080p IPS monitor which would be just right for my own needs. Reviews are very good for it anyway.

Casanova

Pretty obvious, really.

343.JPG

knitoe

MX279H is a pretty cool looking ah-ips but IPS is all about maximising quality and accuracy, 1080p resolution at 27" is an poor choice. limited inputs (2x HDMI, 1x VGA) isnt too hot either.

if you're gonna go down the IPS display route get a higher resolution (2560x1440 or 2560x1600). as for the other one, it looks like a standard 1080p TN, it has a 2ms reponse time but i dont see anything about 120hz.

i wouldnt buy either of those. look back through this thread as there have been some good recommendations.

Looks like he/ she wants to get a 27" monitor. What you are suggesting would be in the $500-700 range. Don't think he/she would want to spend that much base on the selection given.

Looks like he/ she wants to get a 27" monitor. What you are suggesting would be in the $500-700 range. Don't think he/she would want to spend that much base on the selection given.

Yeah...I should have specified in my original post. I'm looking to get the best 27" monitor I can find that's under $400 dollars ($350 is my ideal ceiling but if I could find something that makes that extra bit of money worth it then I'd reconsider). I understand that will most likely force me to give up some ideal features but the size is what's most important to me so as long as I can find something that is at least solid in other respects then I'd be more than satisfied.

SoulClap

I'd go for the Korean 1440p monitors. I have a BenQ XL2420T next to it and it looks absolutely atrocious in comparison. I wish I would have picked up a second Shimian.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
It says gaming.

So the best gaming monitor is a 120Hz or 144Hz one. Not much left to discuss.

Problem for me is, I'll never generally have the hardware to get to 120fps (or take advantage of a high resolution above 1080p). Is it still really worth getting a 120hz if you can't take advantage of it to that extent ? I'm not opposed to either but I admittedly prefer the colours of IPS and as long as I get 60fps for most games I'm generally quite happy.

mkenyon

Banned
Problem for me is, I'll never generally have the hardware to get to 120fps (or take advantage of a high resolution above 1080p). Is it still really worth getting a 120hz if you can't take advantage of it to that extent ? I'm not opposed to either but I admittedly prefer the colours of IPS and as long as I get 60fps for most games I'm generally quite happy.
Yes.

You'd be surprised how often you can hit 8.3ms frametimes in games. Only the big graphics hogs or cranking up AA really keeps most modern PC's from getting there.
I love my 120 Hz, Samsung S27A950D:
IMO, the Samsung monitors are the best of the 120Hz just due to that beautiful gloss screen that gives such vibrant colors.

It's a shame they are impossible to find now.

Well, it's kind of like getting a lamborghini and never going over 120km/h. If you won't ever get to 120hz or 1440p at good frames there's absolutely no point in getting one unless you are going to upgrade to a great graphics card soon. My 670 already has troubles getting mere 60fps at 1080p on newly released games (tomb raider with tressfx, far cry 3 on max, crysis 3 on very high). That is, unless you're willing to sacrifice graphical quality to get better frames in which case get a 120hz monitor. It's pretty stupid to get a 1440p monitor only to turn down settings and decrease graphical quality when 1440p is designed to yield maximum graphical quality.

mkenyon

Banned
That's a false analogy. 120hz monitors have a crispness to them that makes even normal desktop usage feel extremely snappy and lag free.

bw2ga.jpg

I think the improved smoothness of motion and realistic feel of 120Hz is vastly superior to an extra bit of AA or max detail.

knitoe

I'd go for the Korean 1440p monitors. I have a BenQ XL2420T next to it and it looks absolutely atrocious in comparison. I wish I would have picked up a second Shimian.

I was using a Crossover 27Q and was recommending it to everyone. Then, it died after 8 months and would cost me $270 to send back to Korea for warranty repairs. Instead of taking a chance it can break again within a year, I went ahead and bought a Dell U2713HM with great pixel policy 3 year warranty. Thinking back, I should have done that originally. If anyone still wants to take a chance on a Korea monitor, you should be locally for warranty, like from Microcenter, Monoprice and Overlord Computers. I would not recommending taking a chance on one from Korea.

jmonteiro

I was using a Crossover 27Q and was recommending it to everyone. Then, it died after 8 months and would cost me $270 to send back to Korea for warranty repairs. Instead of taking a chance it can break again within a year, I went ahead and bought a Dell U2713HM with great pixel policy 3 year warranty. Thinking back, I should have done that originally. If anyone still wants to take a chance on a Korea monitor, you should be locally for warranty, like from Microcenter, Monoprice and Overlord Computers. I would not recommending taking a chance on one from Korea.

I own one from Overlord Computer, the OC Perfect Pixel edition and it is amazing to play games at 2560x1440 and 120Hz... I do have good graphics cards though. You need it to push 120hz at this massive resolution.

Anyway the monitor is amazing and totally worth it.

Absinthe

Exactly. 1080p IQ on a 27" is very poor.

Once you go 27-30" and 1440p or 1600p you will never go back!

mkenyon

Banned
Wrong, if it said competitive gaming then you would be right.
I don't agree with this at all.

I think the category of person that would get more enjoyment out of a 1440P IPS panel is far more niche than 120Hz. Not everyone needs to have perfect colors when looking at a monitor from angles outside of proper alignment. Nor is everyone looking to downsample some insane res.

Downsampling and accurate colors exist on TN 1080p panels. Turning the monitor to be properly aligned with your face isn't rocket science. I think the IPS crowd suffer from confirmation bias and general acceptance in the 'gotta buy the best' mindset that so often runs the enthusiast zeitgeist of any community. They've been out for awhile, so people turn to arguments that aren't as precise as they once were. Or their experience with TN panels have been crappy because the TN panels they had in specific were crappy ones.

The colors on my S23A750D were every bit as good as my Crossover 27Q which I sold because I found it nearly useless once I delved into 120Hz.

Every single person that plays at double the refresh rate can appreciate the smoothness of motion and feeling of a lag free environment. I've yet to find someone outside of Smokey who has actually used both high end 120hz and high end IPS panels to prefer the latter.

In the end, I wish we could have it both ways. Then the argument would be over.
me too, came from a 30" dell ips and have no regrets, its been wonderful
Thank you for being another example :p

BadWolf

The Asus monitor Evo uses is top notch.

Its been about 3 years now since I bought it and it works good as new, use for both PC and my PS3.

I'm terrified to go above 1080/1200p. I have a single 7970 and most of the time I can maintain 60 fps 16.67 ms average frametime :)P) while downsampling from a higher resolution but that handful of games that need tweaking, it's tough to lock myself into to a higher resolution and I can't imagine playing below native resolution on an LCD display.

Jtrizzy

Anyone else think this idea that 1080p isn't good enough for a 27" screen a bit ridiculous? I get that more is better, but if I could create my perfect monitor it would be a 1080p 120hz 3D ips panel.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Cheers for all the thoughts :)

One of the reasons I'm so interested in the Eizo Foris is it seems to be a nice balance for what I want of IPS, colours etc and a fast response time. Gets a great review on Prad as well.

Of course it's all moot at the moment as I can't afford shit but I like looking :p

http://www.prad.de/en/monitore/review/2012/review-eizo-foris-fs2333-bk.html#Introduction

Conclusion

With the Foris FS2333, Eizo has developed a highly interesting monitor especially for gamers. Here, the capabilities of the monitor are not only impressive when reading the specifications, but also in practice.

The improvement Eizo has made to the ergonomic functions is especially praiseworthy, with the Foris FS2333 having acquired height adjustment and panning functions.

Advertisement

The image quality of the 23 inch IPS panel is also convincing. Good pre-defined settings are offered in the factory settings, but in order to realise the full potential of the Eizo FS2333, we recommend calibrating the monitor.

A large number of image optimisation functions, which Eizo calls Smart Functions, are offered for gamers. These functions do not simply apply a filter to the display. The image displayed is analysed and optimised in particular areas only, for example, dark sections of the image are lightened to allow the user to see better, whilst brighter sections are affected to a lesser extent. However, these improvements cannot be made without any loss of image quality.

An input lag of 0.8 milliseconds is sensational for an LCD monitor and the Eizo FS2333 sets new standards in this regard.

The Eizo FS2333 gives us little cause for criticism. The tilting function could be somewhat smoother and unfortunately, the maximum overdrive setting "improved" is hardly usable. However, the FS2333 is still fast enough when the next lower setting is selected.

The only thing that remains is the price, and Eizo surprises us here, since the Foris FS2333 is already available at a retail price of 320 Euro. The Eizo FS2333 has therefore truly earned its overall rating of very good.

Draft

Anyone else think this idea that 1080p isn't good enough for a 27" screen a bit ridiculous? I get that more is better, but if I could create my perfect monitor it would be a 1080p 120hz 3D ips panel.
No, PC content at 1080p doesn't look very good on a 27" monitor. IMO anything over 24" is too big for 1080p.

Jtrizzy

No, PC content at 1080p doesn't look very good on a 27" monitor. IMO anything over 24" is too big for 1080p.

For games specifically? I used a 50" 1080p plasma as my monitor for 2 years and it looked great. Don't mean to be snarky, but would only 4k be good enough at that resolution? I'm stuck on a 1360x768 20" tv for a monitor until May, and while it's not great, it's hard for me to imagine sitting 2 feet away from a 27" 1080p screen and feel that it's not good enough.

mkenyon

Banned
You want the latter. You're paying for a super fancy stand and some inputs like a headphone jack with the BenQ.

This is coming from an XL2420T owner.

mkenyon

Banned
For those curious, Overlord is redoing their stand, making it Vesa compatible, and making a thinner bezel. ETA is April.

http://overlordforum.com/topic/378-any-updates-about-when-the-oc-models-will-be-in-stock/?p=4627

We are in the process of changing the housing to the thinner bezel and using a VESA mounted, height-adjustable stand that will allow portrait viewing. This all requires the packaging to be re-worked. We are hoping for a April date, but won't know until we hit production. So the March date has been pushed off due to the changes. We chose to put off the new batch to try and meet customer demand for the thinner bezel and stand mods. Hope you all understand and can wait a little longer while we work on the Tempest line up.

Here is an idea of where this is heading.

Kenaras

So I'm looking for a good, inexpensive gaming monitor. With all the recommendations in this thread for the Asus VH236H, I started there. Newegg currently has the VH238H for $130, and the VS238H-P for $150 - both with free shipping. Before I buy, anyone have any experience with these? As far as I can tell, the former has built-in speakers, and the latter is a slim model, but they're otherwise nearly identical.

FrankWza

i would love a 120hz or higher monitor but i hate the way tn panels look. i know theres supposed to be ghosting with plasmas but it looks fine to me. i wish one of these companies would release a 24-27 inch plasma. i like gaming on a smaller screen and the smallest plasma is around a 40 inch i think. also, did anyone go the happy-middle route and use a low MS response-time VA?

ak1976

Neo Member
I've had the vh236h aka the 'Evo Monitor" for over two years now and it's the best monitor that I've ever owned.

mkenyon

Banned
The fact it is subjective makes be think the issue is vastly overblown.
Sure, there are people that think they can notice the difference and probably don't, but you have no way of pointing any of them out. It's best to just let people be and take them at their word, as you have no way of proving it one way or the other. It just sounds kind of petulant.

Mindman

I'm getting ready to order the Viewsonic VP2365.

It's one of the few IPS panels that doesn't suffer from a grainy anti-glare filter. If you know anything about IPS panels, you know about this issue. There is also a 27 inch version available.

6ms response, LED, fully adjustable ergonomics, IPS... one downside is no HDMI. $263

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Sure, there are people that think they can notice the difference and probably don't, but you have no way of pointing any of them out. It's best to just let people be and take them at their word, as you have no way of proving it one way or the other. It just sounds kind of petulant.

Has more to do with a friend of mine. He was fine until he learned about latency.

Now any time he's losing at a game his monitor is magically lagging. (I wasn't aware ASUS monitors randomly would do this.) I want to strangle him through the internet every time he makes this claim.

ASUS = usually good.
Panasonic Plasma? Unplayable according to him.

mkenyon

Banned
Hah, I know the type. Gotta love transference. I think that type of person is drawn to Dota 2.

I'll be honest, I can't tell the difference between my Samsung S23A750D and XL2420T, but I have a friend who did a blind test to tell me which felt more laggy (professional gamer) and he called out the Samsung immediately after switching to the BenQ. I most certainly can feel the lag from some of those high latency IPS monitors though. The Crossover 27Q made it much harder to play T:A and Warsow.

Top Bottom