• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best gaming monitor

PaulLFC

Been looking into the BenQ XL2420T and it looks like an extremely good monitor, but their dead pixel policy puts me off.

According to a CNET Australia review, the monitor has a 4 year on site warranty and a zero dead pixel policy over there, which is fantastic. So I contacted BenQ to see if it was the same here in the UK - turns out ours is a 2 year warranty and they "tolerate" up to 5 dead pixels.

They might tolerate it, but I won't. The monitor is £280 here (around $448) - if I'm paying that much for a monitor I expect it to have zero dead pixels and be replaced should it have any. Of course, it may well have zero dead pixels, but for that much money it's not a risk I'm prepared to take.

The two Samsung models suggested above have a zero dead pixel policy with Overclockers, so I'm looking into getting one of those. Does anyone know if the 3D works with Nvidia 3D Vision though if I buy the 3D vision kit? It's not listed on the 3D Vision site, whereas the BenQ monitor is.

derFeef

I just ordered myself a 27" acer (Acer HN274H) with 120hz.
My 24" Eizo is very awesome, but it's better suited for my working as a second mintor now.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Been looking into the BenQ XL2420T and it looks like an extremely good monitor, but their dead pixel policy puts me off.

According to a CNET Australia review, the monitor has a 4 year on site warranty and a zero dead pixel policy over there, which is fantastic. So I contacted BenQ to see if it was the same here in the UK - turns out ours is a 2 year warranty and they "tolerate" up to 5 dead pixels.

They might tolerate it, but I won't. The monitor is £280 here (around $448) - if I'm paying that much for a monitor I expect it to have zero dead pixels and be replaced should it have any. Of course, it may well have zero dead pixels, but for that much money it's not a risk I'm prepared to take.

The two Samsung models suggested above have a zero dead pixel policy with Overclockers, so I'm looking into getting one of those. Does anyone know if the 3D works with Nvidia 3D Vision though if I buy the 3D vision kit? It's not listed on the 3D Vision site, whereas the BenQ monitor is.
The 750/700/950?

I've got the 750 and it's a fucking beauty of a monitor. Haven't tried 3D yet, but I'm pretty damn sure it uses a 3rd party something for 3D. But it seems pretty ok from what I gleamed?

PaulLFC

The 750/700/950?

I've got the 750 and it's a fucking beauty of a monitor. Haven't tried 3D yet, but I'm pretty damn sure it uses a 3rd party something for 3D. But it seems pretty ok from what I gleamed?
Yeah, both the 700 and 750 are available here (950 isn't for some reason). The 700 may be more suitable for me as the 750 only includes HDMI/DisplayPort, and my HDMI connection is already being used for the AV receiver for sound. The 700 includes DVI as well so that would solve the problem.

Thanks for the info about the 3D, I don't know why Nvidia can't just make 3D Vision compatible with all 120Hz 3D capable monitors, but ah well.

Fugu

For competitive gaming, absolutely.

For IQ purposes...I'd say the cons outweigh the pros at this point.

edit: I should rephrase...I'd probably only give the edge for Counter-Strike 1.6, since it greatly benefits from running at 640*480 or 800*600. Not sure if any other games behave the same way. There are definitely 120Hz TN panels with non-existant input lag out there, and they'd probably be better due to size, geometry, and wide FOV for many 16:10/16:9 games.
While you can calibrate out geometry problems to a degree that makes them basically invisible, there is nothing that can be done to correct the fact that no LCD, not even an IPS panel, can display any colour resembling black. Sharpness is a non-issue on any decent aperture grille display, as is aspect ratio in regards to the FW900 in particular.

There are few TN panels that consistently test well under the necessary ~17ms in terms of input lag and many degenerate well below that unless tradeoffs for image quality are made.

onQ123

I have the Samsung S27B550V

27" 1080P

2ms response time

so far I'm loving it haven't seen anything that I don't like about it yet.

do anyone else here have this monitor? is there anything I should worry about?

I mostly use it for playing Fighting games on my PS3 right now & have it set-up so I can play standing up like I'm at the arcade. so far I would say this has been the best Monitor/TV I've played games on.

I kinda bought it with the money I was going to get the Wii U with because all the Wii U pre-orders was sold out, so I'll probably be playing Mario games on it some time early next year when it's easier to get a Wii U so I'm hoping this monitor will be pretty good for the Wii U games & older games that will be on the Wii U Virtual Console.

I just moved across the country and I'm looking for a monitor that can be my tv as well. So it should have more than one HDMI port. I'm looking for something around $200. Anything out there?

Sorry for the bump, but a question to you or anyone else:
How does this compare to other 27inch monitors?

I've been shopping for one for weeks now and it's been pretty tough to decide. I'll be using it primarily for console gaming (360 specifically, but if I got a monitor that was 16x9 or could correct the aspect ratio so I won't have any problems with PS3 or possibly future systems that don't support 16x10). I'll also be using it to watch movies and other non-gaming stuff through my consoles. Low input lag is fairly important since I do play fighters, shooters, and music games. Speakers don't mean anything since I'll be using Logitech z5500. 3D is not important. Color is. It would be great if I could rotate the screen for shumps as well, but I suppose I could always look into buying a stand seperately. And I don't really have a price range, but of course the cheaper the better. (And I'm also trying to buy it of Amazon US)

A few I've been looking at:
Asus VE278Q ($300)
BenQ GW2750HM ($290)
Viewsonic VA2730 ($250)
Viewsonic VX2703 ($280)
Viewsonic VP2770 ($785)
Samsung S27B550V ($400, third party seller)

For comparison, my current monitor is a Westinghouse LCM-22w2 that I've been using for 4 or 5 years (so, I'm sure pretty much any monitor I end up picking will be better).

Edwardo

I got the Asus VE248H on newegg for about $160 after rebates a couple months ago when it was on sale. It's up there for about $200 (185 after rebates), unfortunately.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236102

I use it for my 360 right now on the HDMI input, and my old laptop for the VGA input. I got it because I will be getting a desktop eventually, but I have yet to see any problems with it when using my xbox 360.

fasterthanu

Neo Member

HiiiLife

So I have about a $400 budget. Could someone recommend me a monitor that has both best performance and best picture quality possible with that money?

I should also note that I play on consoles.

So I have about a $400 budget. Could someone recommend me a monitor that has the both best performance and best picture quality possible with that money?

Look for a Catleap or Crossover on ebay. 27" 2540x1440 for $400, great deal right? I ordered one and its arriving tomorrow. :D

HiiiLife

Look for a Catleap or Crossover on ebay. 27" 2540x1440 for $400, great deal right? I ordered one and its arriving tomorrow. :D

Sweet. I'll be sure to check it out. I usually play on consoles as well. Do you know if the MLG monitors are any good? The Asus vh236 and BenQ gl2450? Or am I better off looking for different monitors?

esai

so im thinking about buying one of these: ViewSonic or Asus
both 27 inches. any suggestions? It will be my main gaming monitor and ill also use it to watch movies since i dont own a tv.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Does anyone with an over-clocked Catleap monitor know whether it's 3D compatible as a result?

Also, am I better off trying to get a Catleap monitor or should I just get a BenQ XL2420TX?

I'm mostly lusting for a monitor with 120hz refresh rate, and hopefully 3D capability. I'd love for the colors to actually look nice as well. I've got a cheap LED LCD that looks okay, but I do envy some of the really great looking TV's and monitors I've seen.

mr stroke

Does anyone with an over-clocked Catleap monitor know whether it's HD compatible as a result?

Also, am I better off trying to get a Catleap monitor or should I just get a BenQ XL2420TX?

I'm mostly lusting for a monitor with 120hz refresh rate, and hopefully 3D capability. I'd love for the colors to actually look nice as well. I've got a cheap LED LCD that looks okay, but I do envy some of the really great looking TV's and monitors I've seen.

BenQ XL2420TX

IMO its the best gaming monitor around. I use both a 27 Apple display right next to the BenQ on the same desk(for gaming only) its not even close. BenQ all the way. The monitor is so smooth with fantastic colors for a TN display. 120hz is no joke

Azar

Does anyone with an over-clocked Catleap monitor know whether it's HD compatible as a result?

Extremely unlikely you can overclock a Catleap to 120Hz. I don't know what you mean by HD compatible, but they don't have scalers, so you can't plug in a piece of hardware that can't do native 2560x1440 output. Can't use it with an Xbox for example, even if you messed with HDMI-DVI conversion.

I need help. I'm looking at the following monitors but don't really know what to look at in terms of what would be best for gaming. I'm using an Alienware X51 if that makes any difference I was considering the following:

Acer G276HLD
Asus VE278H
Dell S2740L
HP 2711x
ViewSonic VX2703MH
ViewSonic VX2753MH

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Benq XL2420T.

My monitor. 120 fps, decent panel. Colors are a bit neonish even after calibration, but I like my 120 fps.

In a few years we'll be approaching 4K, IPS, 120 Hz standard, so I wouldn't put too much thought into a monitor right now. IMO they're all shit. PC monitors are supposed to be way ahead of portable electronics and TVs, but not right now.

Souther

Banned
I picked up the Benq RL2450HT on boxing day for like $200.

I tried the PS3 on it and it looked pretty good but I didn't really get into the color settings and stuff. I think eventually I will just use it for my PC and relegate the the HD consoles to the TV.

All SD stuff i play on a Sony Triniton Wega 32 HD. Looks pretty amazing via Component cables for all systems.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Keep in mind, for the BenQ's it only outputs at 120hz on DVI right?

So if you're connecting a 360/PS3 via it's two HDMI inputs it only be 60 hz.

Yeah, but I don't think there are any 120fps console games anyway.

I'm loving this XL2420TX. The 3D is a much more impressive thing than I imagined when I first bought the monitor.

Amagon

Trying to find the best settings for the Asus VH236H. Got it this past week and I like it alot though for me, Game Mode looks a little bit washed out.

Amagon

I ran it through this test and settled on 100 Brightness + 45 contrast. Don't remember if there was anything else to tweak.

Still looks meh. Scenery & Theater mode looks more richer than Game. I'm guessing if I pick either mode besides Game, I won't be getting the low latency that I'm looking for.

Sarcasm

How about if you want to add another monitor to current setup? I have a Dell 24 16:10 1920x1200 using a hdmi. What should I get?

xenist

The best monitors I've ever seen are the Dell Ultrasharp ones. Both the 27 and the 30. I love them. Haven't used them for gaming though, just work stuff.

Shady859

Next month marks 4 years of gaming on my Samsung 52" LN52a650a. Great picture and everything but as someone who plays ALOT of online shooters I always wondered, well mainly starting in MW3 how much input lag and response time was really holding me back. Black Ops 2 kill cams were rage inducing... Advertised as 5ms response but always heard bad input lag even in game mode.

Recently built a gaming PC and needing a monitor I went with the famed Evo monitor ASUS vh236h for $140 after rebate. Had it for a week and honestly i'm still in need of a PC monitor as this thing is going to stay connected to my 360. My K/D is spiking up drastically in the time i've played and i'm seeming to be winning damn near every gun fight. The only thing changed is the monitor and replaced my old hdmi cable with a monoprice high performance redmere cable. My play style is still the same aggressive in your face play minus the lag maybe. Wish I would've had it years ago for my shooters but will stick with the Samsung for SP stuff prolly. Just need to figure out a workable setup as I game in the living room and its on the coffee table currently lol.

Top Bottom