• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beyond the Labyrinth (3DS, Tri-Ace, Konami) Screens [Trailer]

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
That looks awesome. I'm glad to finally see something that seems to be making real use of the 3DS hardware. Most of the games shown to date look like PSP titles.

Luigiv

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
Save it for Project Cafe...
Oh the internet, never change. Anyone remember how 8 months ago people would enter ever new game announcement thread and go "should be a 3DS title, lololol"? How times have changed.

ivysaur12

Banned
Beautiful. Some of those textures are amazing.

If this is what launch-era games look like, I can't wait to see how the system's software progresses.

green sticker

Neo Member
This looks really great, but I worry about my eyes when using the 3D on the 3DS. I don't own one but I have tried it out a few times and it's tough for me, maybe it's the glasses. Either way, this really gives me an ICO vibe all the way. I love Tri-ace.

Bubs Mugumbo

Neo Member
green sticker said:
This looks really great, but I worry about my eyes when using the 3D on the 3DS. I don't own one but I have tried it out a few times and it's tough for me, maybe it's the glasses. Either way, this really gives me an ICO vibe all the way. I love Tri-ace.

You did try it on multiple settings, right?

GeekyDad

After completing Covenant of the Plume (three times), I'm ready to nuzzle up to the tri-Ace teet. I'm very much looking forward to this game. First promising-looking 3DS RPG I've seen.

I actually don't find this that impressive on a technical level, especially compared to, say, the MGS3 demo or the RE games - the environmental geometry looks fairly simple, and I don't see any real shader usage other than some cel shading on the main character's model. That said, the textures are good and the overall art direction is excellent, which counts for a lot.

green sticker

Neo Member
Bubs Mugumbo said:
You did try it on multiple settings, right?

Yes I did, it was a little bearable on the lower 3D settings but still, it was tough to be comfortable with it. Maybe it's something I'd just need to get used to.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
GeekyDad said:
After completing Covenant of the Plume (three times), I'm ready to nuzzle up to the tri-Ace teet. I'm very much looking forward to this game. First promising-looking 3DS RPG I've seen.

Hilariously enough it's the "worst" VP game.

GeekyDad

Ookami-kun said:
Hilariously enough it's the "worst" VP game.

Not to verge too off topic, but that, of course, is opinion. After playing a fair bit of Lenneth, I'd have to disagree. But to each his own. I personally enjoy intelligent and thought-provoking dialogue wrapped around pristine gameplay.

Either way, I'm a fan of the gameplay ideas tri-Ace tends to explore. The story of Resonance of Fate was beyond trite, and I wasn't the biggest fan of the hexagonal exploration (if you can call it that), but the battle system was just amazing, even if the dungeons themselves were devoid of any personality. I'm ready to see what they do with a "dungeon RPG."

Quixzlizx

Ookami-kun said:

I can't look them up and upload them because of current location, but I remember those Star Ocean 4 bullshots that were completely gorgeous and AA'd. Look what ended up showing on the screen.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I still go by at what I said - at least VP1 cast had personality and the gameplay only took a ceiling in the post-game dungeon.

Quixzlizx said:
I can't look them up and upload them because of current location, but I remember those Star Ocean 4 bullshots that were completely gorgeous and AA'd. Look what ended up showing on the screen.

That's only one game out of their many though.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
Crikey. I thought this was a low budget PS3 or 360 game or something when I clicked. 3DS???. Wow.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
kikonawa said:
4 color gfx.. whats impressive about it

Which 4?

Excluding the obvious shades all over the place,
Screenshot 1: Yellow sky, brown arches, green moss, white character dress/hair
Screenshot 2: blue-grey stones, orange-brown rust or dead moss on stones, black shadows
Screenshot 3: blue-aqua water
Screenshot 6: purple flowers, red flowers, red broach on character, pink lips

I guess you're a big fan of bright orange, which is pretty much the only colour/shade not represented in the screenshots provided?

Crazetex

Pretty game looks pretty. I want know what kind of gameplay it has. I kind of hope it's a slow puzzle/exploration game.

ReyVGM

I'm still waiting for someone to make a true Labyrinth (the movie) game. I hope this has a bit of that feeling.

Izayoi

Banned
green sticker said:
Yes I did, it was a little bearable on the lower 3D settings but still, it was tough to be comfortable with it. Maybe it's something I'd just need to get used to.
You know that you can turn it off for a reason, right? Even without 3D this game would look pretty impressive.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
I see normal people praising the graphics and 3DS haters criticizing them here.

Can't wait to hear gameplay details. Is this supposed to be some kind of dungeon crawler? As someone mentioned in the first page, it seems to have an Etrian Odyssey vibe.

Top Bottom