• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beyond: Two Souls is censored in Europe (violence) and probably also in US (nudity)

Nemesis_

Huh. It's 18+ in Australia. Probably had to remove everything in the game to get that rating though.

158021_detail_v3.jpg

I'm confused about WHY it's R18+ here. Here's the descriptors.

This is for Australia

wOAmC8b.png

Assuming the Nudity is gone.

EDIT: Drug Use seems to knock any game over the R18+ line. Assuming it's that.

ekim

these issues should be handled by the console's own parental control , if the account used for, say your son, has a <16 age set, then the game should not show certain scenes, if you are an adult and your account has no restrictions, then the game could show everything.
Shouldn't be that difficult

Can't agree more.

ekim

I'm confused about WHY it's R18+ here. Here's the descriptors.

This is for Australia

wOAmC8b.png

Assuming the Nudity is gone.

Well the info about the cuts in the US in terms of sexual content only comes from one German retailer. Don't bank on it - that's why I wrote "probably" in the title.

edit: ah there is an extra "Sex" field - maybe it's not nudity but sexual content (without nudity). But that didn't fit in the title anymore.

Elios83

They should have gone for PEGI18. Who really cares of these ratings anyway?
GTAV is PEGI18 and it has sold what? LOL
The Last of Us is PEGI18, same for Bioshock Infinite and Tomb Raider, the biggest hits of this year, Heavy Rain was PEGI18 as well.
This seems the typical case of letting marketing people get too much voice....
Still if it's just a few seconds their vision is not really compromised or censored so they probably wanted to make both sides happy.

They should have gone for PEGI18. Who really cares of these ratings anyway?
GTA is PEGI18 and it has sold what? LOL
The Last of Us is PEGI18, same for Bioshock Infinite and Tomb Raider, the biggest hist of this year, Heavy Rain was PEGI18 as well.
This seems the typical case of letting marketing people get too much voice....
Still if it's just a few seconds their vision is not really compromised or censored so they probably wanted to make both sides happy.

Well yeah but its the same with movies, studios ALWAYS go for PG-13 to get more general sales.

And its not like this has the brand recognition like GTA has.

pargonta

i take it it would be AO in america, so quantic dream is changing it themselves? with pressure from sony.

or, somebody else is censoring it. hmm.

lame, but maybe it makes the game flow better who knows

Terra_Ex

these issues should be handled by the console's own parental control , if the account used for, say your son, has a <16 age set, then the game should not show certain scenes, if you are an adult and your account has no restrictions, then the game could show everything.
Shouldn't be that difficult

That would make too much sense though. Very disappointing, as usual.

ViciousDS

Banned
You already know why there are censoring stuff.

I actually laugh because of how pathetic it is.

My little brother was younger than him though when he started GTA......he was 5 or 6 last I remember..........then again he had me at his side to teach him right from wrong his entire life....its all about the parents or whoever is going to raise the kid.

Still don't understand this whole censorship deal....just give us an uncut digital version then so I can get it then.

Maxxan

lol @ Americans being terrified of naked bodies :p Don't actually mind the violence-related cut, but people who are 18+ should be able to unluck an uncensored version (credit/debit cards are usually a good age verification, no?)

Oh, and fuck Germany's censorship laws.

HT UK

I really doubt many 16/17yr olds would be interested in this anyway. Plus even if they were, they're probably the type of person who knows that the internet exists, and can just order the game online.

Hrothgar

Thanks Germany for making sure there is less violence in European versions. In the past they would make special German versions with green blood, now they apply the German law on all European versions it seems. :/

No one here actually cares about a PEGI 16+ or 18 label, I mean looking at the video games I have on my desk right now, Skyrim, The Witcher 1 & 2 and Company of Heroes all have an 18 label. This is not the US where there is a strong stigma on the AO rating.

Fun fact for the Netherlands:
PEGI is officially adopted and legislation is in place to enforce the age classification in shops where video games are sold. There is an exception for the 18+ rating, which has no legal status; thereby every person 16 years (the highest age limit) and older is able purchases a game which contains the 18+ rating from PEGI.

Withnail

Really don't see the problem. This kind of thing happens all the time with movies.

Also I don't even consider it censorship. QD themselves made a version for the US and a version for the EU according to regional tastes and ratings systems. There is no loss of artistic integrity or any of that nonsense.

petran79

Banned
will those scenes be cut scenes or ingame?

if the former, one solution is to wait for a possible PC version.

second solution, someone makes an illegal and unofficial "remix" PS3 version with both the aforementioned scenes.

will those scenes be cut scenes or ingame?

if the former, one solution is to wait for a possible PC version.

second solution, someone makes an illegal and unofficial "remix" PS3 version with both the aforementioned scenes.

Are you aware this game is an exclusive and owned by Sony?

Sylver

Banned
Well at least they said it before release. One game less to take care about.
Censorship = no with my money. Sorry SCEE, thanks germany.

PSN user Keiyuu88 has again been scouring German websites and pointed us to the Beyond: Two Souls page of games retailer SpieleGrotte.de. Highlighted in a news post on the listing is the following message (helpfully translated for us by Keiyuu88):

”According to our information, in the European version of Beyond: Two Souls two scenes will be slightly cut. This affects all European versions (UK, AT and so on), as always with Sony. Reportedly, the US version will be slightly cut in erotic scenes. This means, according to Sony, that there won’t be a real uncut version at all.”

A final sentence following that explains that they are unable to offer the US version for sale on their site due to legal issues.

So basically were taking a retailers description as gospel for the US version now?

Until US PS Blog confirms otherwise, I'm not getting worked up over bullshit speculation.

Top Bottom