• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beyond: Two Souls is censored in Europe (violence) and probably also in US (nudity)

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Preorder cance--- ah what the hell, it's just five seconds guys.
And actually if the spoiler is legit then I'm glad they didn't go for tasteless gore like Tomb Raider 2013.

EGM1966

Why does Sony want to censor the devs original vision?

There;s no censorship here. Censorship is enforced changes. Sony and QD decided to tone down a couple of scenes to get a specific rating - their choice hence no censorship.

They clearly decided they didn't want an 18 certificate as with Heavy Rain and slightly edited a few seconds here and there. Happens in films all the time - appropriately or ironically enough take your pick.

Tizoc

So uh if I want to play the game as close as to what the devs have intended it to be, which ver. should I get?

StuBurns

Banned
Kind of pointless, given the best selling games are 18s anyway. There's no one eager to play this game under 18 that isn't going to be able to get it.

Courage

So EU cuts out violence, and US cuts out 'erotic scenes'?

Hah, EU wins.

1375564185548vfjq0.gif

lord knows

the US version better not be censored. At this point it's basically a matter of principle for me.

And I don't get that part about censoring it in order to get a lower rating? I know this is game has bloody killing and f-bombs, so I'd think it would have gotten the M rating equivalent no matter what.

Dremark

Banned
It's kind of sad that this is happening, especially as Cage is always talking about artistic integrity. I can't imagine he's very happy about it.

Also if this is actually how it turns out and there is no uncut version I will pass on it.

hat_hair

I don't really see why there's any uproar over this. Films get minor cuts all the time to hit lower age brackets. It's just a business decision. As he says, the game could have been released completely uncut at PEGI 18, but they didn't want to do that.

Now, whether business decisions should be allowed to trump artistic decisions is another matter. How necessary were the edited sections to the directors artistic vision? Was that level of violence or nudity a crucial part of the story? How much responsibility does the director have to the people bankrolling the game?

All told, I'm really fine with this decision, and although I would like to see more adult only story driven games, that doesn't mean every serious game has to have an 18 rating.

Dremark

Banned
So uh if I want to play the game as close as to what the devs have intended it to be, which ver. should I get?

Both and play through each of them to see the censored content apparently.

Maybe we will luck out and there will be an Asian Uncut version though. Personally I'm not picking up up censored out of principal.

I don't give a shit about these changes. Especially since it is not removed, just slightly censored.

Huh. It's 18+ in Australia. Probably had to remove everything in the game to get that rating though.

158021_detail_v3.jpg
Drug usage. Australia is strict about it.

I know that David Cage will say nothing about this because is Sony, but I will love if some journalist as him about his general opinion on censorship.
They did. Multiple times. Not surprisingly he hates the current rating system.

cj_iwakura

There;s no censorship here. Censorship is enforced changes. Sony and QD decided to tone down a couple of scenes to get a specific rating - their choice hence no censorship.

They didn't create the game though. So yeah, it's censorship.

Also, considering the game has a shower scene in previews and the ESRB rating makes no mention of it...

I don't understand why we can't just get an AO rating and get on with it. Let adults make their own choices. The crap on tv is worse.

Zaph

Ugh, this is why I hated PEGI taking over the BBFC's duties in the UK.

Cultures across Europe vary massively, which is why we have individual film classification boards. So why on earth did they think we could homogenise the same for video games?

Aside from the Manhunt 2 embarrassment, the BBFC are/were fantastic at rating game content and understood the importance of context. Perfect example:

Mass Effect 1 PEGI rating: 18
Mass Effect 1 BBFC rating: 12

The BBFC's reasoning was that the game's violence was very similar to Star Wars, and didn't have graphic injury or a mean-spirited/sadistic tone.

PEGI? Laser. Guns. Shoot. Bad. GERMANY.

ViviOggi

Why does Sony value the PEGI rating so highly as opposed to pretty much any other publisher, making it impossible to get an uncut version throughout the entire EU?

Looks like we're getting the better deal at least.

ViviOggi

Cultures across Europe vary massively, which is why we have individual film classification boards. So why on earth did they think we could homogenise the same for video games?

Aside from the Manhunt 2 embarrassment, the BBFC are/were fantastic at rating game content and understood the importance of context. Perfect example:

The BBFC's reasoning was that the game's violence was very similar to Star Wars, and didn't have graphic injury or a mean-spirited/sadistic tone.

PEGI is not the legally binding rating in Germany.

Just that everyone is understanding this right, similar to Heavy Rain in Japan nothing is removed. They simply changed the camera angles for about 5 seconds in 2 parts so you can't see the extreme violence. The scenes itself are still completely there. They are not crucial to the plot anyway, so it's not like it's the final scene or anything.

I care as much about this as the 1 second cut in GoW:A. Annoying that it still happens sure, but not really a deal breaker.

And I doubt that the US version is censored in any way. The blog doesn't mention it and there is likely no nudity in the game anyway. Don't trust a single retailer.

Loakum

Banned
well....this derails my Beyond Two Souls hype train.......I was really looking forward to digtal nude Ellen Page. *pouts*

masterkajo

The funny thing though, Mass Effect 1 USK rating: 16. USK is Germany's own rating System and is normally the main reason stuff gets cut. So instead of making a separat German version Sony just takes the German version for all of Europe lately.

EGM1966

They didn't create the game though. So yeah, it's censorship.

Also, considering the game has a shower scene in previews and the ESRB rating makes no mention of it...

Until I see evidence otherwise I'm not assuming Cage had no idea or didn't agree to this. All the signs are that QD/Sony jointly decided this from what I see.

Unless Sony forced QD to change the game to get the rating there is no censorship. Rated media always involves choice and choosing a lower rating and dropping content isn't censorship - you might as well argue the PG-13 Die Hards were censored.

Really what we're actually talking about is selling out for money if we want to quibble the point and be negative - not censorship.

Fantasmo

Heavy Rain landed with nudity (and a sex scene too I think? Can't remember) in the US and an M rating so this erotic scene is probably a little more suggestive.

OR

Heavy Rain right from the box art, to the plot and actual scenes is clearly a Mature title which isn't pulling any punches about not trying to appeal to kids. Whereas maybe with Beyond they want more of a mass market hit and don't want to offend people. So even if it ruffles David's and our feathers, they might still want that bigger pie.

I'd guess self censorship. But who knows.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
To be fair, nobody "wins" here, since you're not getting what you paid for

but hey, keep taking US/EU sides :p

Dremark

Banned
Until I see evidence otherwise I'm not assuming Cage had no idea or didn't agree to this. All the signs are that QD/Sony jointly decided this from what I see.

Actually now that I think about it, Indigo Prophecy was censored in a lot of areas including the US so maybe he doesn't have a problem with it, or perhaps he's not in as commanding of a potion as I would expect him to be.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Apparently, that's from the EU version.

I did some research and found some footage of the US version:

ivmVGdi62zaeu.gif

params7

Banned
This is why I support Steambox/Steammachine more than Sony/MS consoles for next-gen. The sooner the console videogaming industry moves to an open, standardized market under no private company's direct control (like the Video, Music platforms) - the better.

We cannot get visceral and explicitly adult themed video-games in all their glory because Sony/MS have a reputation to uphold on their closed console platforms. Save us, SteamOS.

NHale

It's always great to buy a game and feeling that you are not getting the entire game because of censorship. I hate this industry sometimes.

LiK

Such a shame. Thankfully there's Youtube for people who don't wanna import just to see that footage.

Dremark

Banned
This is why I support Steambox/Steammachine more than Sony/MS consoles for next-gen. The sooner the console videogaming industry moves to an open, standardized market under no private company's direct control (like the Video, Music platforms) - the better.

We cannot get visceral and explicitly adult themed video-games in all their glory because Sony/MS have a reputation to uphold on their closed console platforms. Save us, SteamOS.

As I stated earlier in the thread, one of David Cage's earlier games Indigo Prophecy was censored in the US. Unless I'm mistaken the PC version is no exception. It's likely not a matter of platform it comes down to publishers. Sony in this case and IIRC Atari in the other.

Top Bottom