• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bill Nye Saves the World Trailer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Eh....love me some Bill Nye, but doing stuff over a live audience seems to kill a good deal of interest for me.

The show is really fun. I think some people are too cool for fun. The crowd oohing and ahhing were doing so for FUN. I agree though that if you are one of those idiots who discount climate change or think the earth is flat, you're probably not watching. So he really is just educating people already inclined to believe whatever he says.

Man, this is a really weird show. I think the live audience part just makes it feel surreal. I guess he's trying something different here, but it's just odd to have him doing science stuff and having an audience react in various ways. The panel discussion, at least in the first episode, wasn't very well done. It was basically just that one dude talking, it might as well have been a 1-on-1 interview. But Bill is as funny and charming as ever. And the Bill Needs a Minute segment where he goes off about climate change denial was raw.
I've watched six episodes so far and I'd say the first was the weakest.
rachel bloom was as amazing as ever ❤️

Bookoo

The format is strange. Not sure I like the way the panels are structured since people don't get much time although some of the guests aren't that interesting.

the chris

Eh....love me some Bill Nye, but doing stuff over a live audience seems to kill a good deal of interest for me.

Yea, I started watching the first episode and the format really turned me off. I'll probably give it another go though in a couple of days.

mlclmtckr

Banned
In Grade 9 Biology we watched Bill Nye constantly. Probably half of our classes were just sitting at our desks watching Bill Nye the Science Guy on VHS.

I thought the Ontario science curriculum was really shitty and bad but then I found out the biology teacher was just a drunk who liked to nap during 3rd period so he'd put the TV on and nod off in the darkened classroom.

Elitist1945

In Grade 9 Biology we watched Bill Nye constantly. Probably half of our classes were just sitting at our desks watching Bill Nye the Science Guy on VHS.

I thought the Ontario science curriculum was really shitty and bad but then I found out the biology teacher was just a drunk who liked to nap during 3rd period so he'd put the TV on and nod off in the darkened classroom.

Maybe it was because I'm from Ontario and my science teachers did the same thing.

I like what I've seen so far (two episodes in), but it's very much preaching to the choir. If you're a climate change denier or anti-vaxxer, you're not watching this show. I'll keep watching to see if that changes.

Well...duh? I mean, if you're a climate change denier or anti-voxxor, you probably aren't even paying attention to any science show.

Gisele

Banned
Well...duh? I mean, if you're a climate change denier or anti-voxxor, you probably aren't even paying attention to any science show.

My point is along the lines of Nye's previous show having been aimed at children, you could educate kids before they're walled off from science. Nye opens this show by saying it's a program for adults. So I don't know what change he's supposed to be making if his entire audience is already predisposed to agree with him.

Feep

Banned
My point is along the lines of Nye's previous show having been aimed at children, you could educate kids before they're walled off from science. Nye opens this show by saying it's a program for adults. So I don't know what change he's supposed to be making if his entire audience is already predisposed to agree with him.
Disseminating scientific information to adults is a waste of time?

Okay.

Krixeus

fi0YdDH.gif

Watched the first episode and the audience is going to take some getting used to but I still enjoyed it and Bill is fun to watch, I went through the list of episodes and there isn't anything there that I'm going to learn much from but I'll still watch it and I'm recommending to my sisters who tend to believe some of the stuff they'll focus on disproving. The good thing about them is that they'll actually listen and not just dismiss it like other people.

Episode 1 is the weakest by far, which is sad since it is about climate change and the attitude in this series is very aggressive.

Also, when I got to the Noah's Ark bit and thought it was funny, my mom started in on how we have evidence of an ark.

Well, really, most of those people probably won't allow their children to watch science programs either. They do everything they can to avoid science in any shape or form I imagine

Toa TAK

Banned
Gave the first episode a go and I enjoyed it. Though if this show is trying to spread any awareness it won't do it to those already interested, I think (hopefully I'm wrong). The audience is the lamest part but it doesn't detract too much and Bill is as fun as ever.

I mean, how else is one supposed to 'raise awareness' besides talking about on a show on a massive platform like Netflix? I'm not sure what people are expecting.

Watched the first episode last night.

It was okay.

I don't know what I was expecting, but it really wasn't that. I got the points he was trying to make, but everything that was communicated I already knew, in greater detail than what was presented.

It was like a tiny speedbump in the road to a real life Idiocracy. I grew up watching Bill, but I don't think I'm the target audience for this show. I'll give a couple more episodes a chance though.

Watched the first episode last night.

It was okay.

I don't know what I was expecting, but it really wasn't that. I got the points he was trying to make, but everything that was communicated I already knew, in greater detail than what was presented.

It was like a tiny speedbump in the road to a real life Idiocracy. I grew up watching Bill, but I don't think I'm the target audience for this show. I'll give a couple more episodes a chance though.
The general perspective I've seen is that the first episode is week and that the rest is a lot better.

Arkeband

Banned
Think this will be a fun show for a 7 year old?

Maybe. He states in the opening that it's aimed at the grown up audience of the original show, and then it proceeds to bombard you with "liquid expands when it's warmed!".

I haven't gotten very far but it seems aimed at the superficial "I fucking love science" crowd.

Gabbelgak

Watched the first episode last night, think the same as what most people have said here that I see. It's preaching to a choir, there is no way someone who doesn't believe in global warming is going to continue to watch after the first episode.

It felt more like it was just an outlet to allow Bill Nye to let off some steam for being ignored by so many people about the issue despite his constant preaching of it. It was kind of depressing honestly.

Will continue to watch as I get more time since everyone seems to say the first episode is the weakest, but if they all come off as preachy as the first one I don't really see a point to continuing - he's not reaching the right audience and it's just kind of cringy as someone who believes he is right regardless.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Eight episodes in, I'm enjoying it, but as someone who is very into science I'm not really learning much I didn't already know. Preaching to the choir, indeed. It feels like the intellectual level is aimed at people who aren't actually gonna watch it. Or kids, but it's clearly not meant for them.

Still, fun.

Aikidoka

Eight episodes in, I'm enjoying it, but as someone who is very into science I'm not really learning much I didn't already know. Preaching to the choir, indeed. It feels like the intellectual level is aimed at people who aren't actually gonna watch it. Or kids, but it's clearly not meant for them.

Still, fun.

what are you basing that off of? Bill Nye is really popular amongst lay-people, which seems to be the target audience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom