• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Binary Domain Demo Impressions (JP - Out Now, US/EU - Feb 15 2012)

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I can't really tell if it's steady on a youtube. Why wouldn't they put out a more recent demo?

Same reason they put out a Yakuza 4 demo that gave you little to no instructions on how to fight. Sega usually sucks at demos.

gogogow

PS3 version is indeed pretty bad, at least the demo is, compared to the 360 version and the 360 version is using (4x)MSAA. That's pretty crazy, it's constantly running 4-5 frames higher than the PS3 version and has MSAA which uses more power than MLAA, though MLAA has a better result here.

I didn't find the framerate very bad. Yes, its not smooth, but it's not having things look like they game is grinding to a halt. The Framerate is fine to me, and doesn't hurt the game. Maybe I just don't care about framerate.

Anyway, I really liked the demo. It isn't quite gears. It feels a bit faster paced and your character far more agile. It doesn't have the weight of Gears and I don't feel like a linebacker. In that it feels a bit more cheap kind of? But I like it, I would like a fast paced game. Not quite Vanquish as it is a cover shooter first and foremost.

Yeah, I'm for sure getting this.

I liked it but the fact the PS3 demo is not up to scratch is worrying. Don't really wanna dig my 360 out of storage but I'll do it for my tanned god Nagoshi.

benzy

PS3 version is indeed pretty bad, at least the demo is, compared to the 360 version and the 360 version is using (4x)MSAA. That's pretty crazy, it's constantly running 4-5 frames higher than the PS3 version and has MSAA which uses more power than MLAA, though MLAA has a better result here.

What is the game's native resolution?

hatmoza

I really enjoyed the playable demo at E3. I can't remember the exact details but I do recall it had a unique command system. Also the robots are relentless, and will pursue you even after you blow of most of their limbs.

Yamibito

Played the PS3 demo, I really enjoyed it- the framerate wasn't as bad as I was expecting reading the impressions on here but I'm super excited to play the full game.

Don't know what the big deal is, the PS3 chugged a little but it looked very sharp
To me. So those of you who played the 360, it's sharper???
Now I'm confused which version to buy!!

tusken77

There is screen tearing and fps issues yeah, but still awesome demo. Reminded of Vanquish a bit.

Not true. No wonder people not playing the Japanese demo are confused by some of the info people are posting here. There is absolutely NO screen tearing in the demo.

Dreamer RD

Not true. No wonder people not playing the Japanese demo are confused by some of the info people are posting here. There is absolutely NO screen tearing in the demo.

But it's here. I noticed it in the first cutscene and you can watch it yourself in the vid I posted (PS3 ver, maybe you mean x360 ver which has no issues)

Anteater

I didn't find the framerate very bad. Yes, its not smooth, but it's not having things look like they game is grinding to a halt. The Framerate is fine to me, and doesn't hurt the game. Maybe I just don't care about framerate.

I think it depends on what you do, if you get close to a huge crowd of enemies in the second level, it gets really bad, but if you just shoot and kill them really far then it's not so bad.

Feindflug

Don't know what the big deal is, the PS3 chugged a little but it looked very sharp
To me. So those of you who played the 360, it's sharper???
Now I'm confused which version to buy!!

Yep the 360 demo besides running much better is also sharper.

BTW I played the demo over 10 times now, the game is so much fun - can't wait! :)

I havnt played it yet just watched some videos on youtube but does anyone else reckon they have the sound effect for the empty bullet shells dropping on the ground too loud?

I dunno my ears are sensitive and I pick up on this kind of thing.

Dreamer RD

I'm very sensitive to screen tearing. There's absolutely no screen tearing in the PS3 demo. This is shown in the (red) screen tear information box in the analysis video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGZ-UyBwiuo

The guy who made that comparison didnt even rotated camera during conversation where you cant move yet.
I repeat, there IS screen tearing in PS3 demo. Just watch closely between 1:30 - 1:45
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pSoToU-A58

It's not youtube fail or video artifacts. That happened in the demo.

tusken77

The guy who made that comparison didnt even rotated camera during conversation where you cant move yet.
I repeat, there IS screen tearing in PS3 demo. Just watch closely between 1:30 - 1:45
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pSoToU-A58

It's not youtube fail or video artifacts. That happened in the demo.

I don't have to watch anything closely. I'm very sensitive to screen tear, it's the first thing I look for when trying demos, and I've played the PS3 version maybe 20 times or so.

We can agree to disagree. I know there no screen tearing, you think there is. Yakuza's cutscenes are perfect, no one has reported any screen tear in this thread (where exaggeration has been on display), and the analysis itself shows 0% screen tear.

Dreamer RD

I don't have to watch anything closely. I'm very sensitive to screen tear

Dude, especially because of you, I just checked other games to test my PS3 on screen tearing, thought maybe it's some console hardware fault. But hell no, everything perfect. Then launched the BD demo again and screen tearing appearing AGAIN in the beginning.
Oh well if you dont even wanna watch, it's pointless to talk with you.

tusken77

Dude, especially because of you, I just checked other games to test my PS3 on screen tearing, thought maybe it's some console hardware fault. But hell no, everything perfect. Then launched the BD demo again and screen tearing appearing AGAIN in the beginning.

Seriously, there's something wrong at your end. I've just replicated EXACTLY what you did in terms of right stick movement 5 times straight. NO screen tearing at all. Nothing. Anyone here who does the same will see the same result...no screen tear whatsoever.

I have played the demo a few times as well and i'm fairly sensitive to tearing, but i didn't notice any during my playtime. I just booted up the game again to look at the specific part you pointed out and i still didn't notice any tearing, no matter how much i moved the camera, while it's impossible not to notice it in the linked video.

Perhaps it really is something on your end? I'm saying this because i have had a similar experience with Yakuza 3. I remember reading at the time that it had V-sync to prevent tearing, but on my TV it would tear like crazy throughout the whole game, i couldn't turn the camera without the screen tearing, while other games were fine. I beat the game like that, but it did sour my experience a bit, because i find screen tearing very distracting in general. A year later i bought a new TV and decided to platinum the game so i put another 50-60 hours into it and suddenly there was no screen tearing at all. I still don't know how this came about, but i just wanted to put it out there.

theDeeDubs

Screen tearing bothers me worse than framerate drops, and I didn't notice any in the demo either. The first thing I do in a game is pan the camera around. I'll take another look next time I get a chance to play the demo again though.

Dreamer RD

Hmm, so that means PS3 is dying? Wonder why other games run smooth. Just checked Twisted Metal demo again, Ass Creed 2, RE5, Shadow of Colossus and FFXIII - nothing unusual, no screen tearing or other graphical issues.

Maybe some in-game display settings is reason of this?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I'm going to guess that the game hard drive caches and streams aggressively, so older PS3's might have an issue there.

Games like Uncharted 3 and Battlefield 3 that do this also had bizarre issues that were localized to certain PS3s and/or PS3-TV combos.

If the game depends on streaming lots of data I'm going with the 360.
You can install the entire game on the HD and the upscaling to 1080P
Is too good to pass up.

The PS3 late texture pop in on Battlefield 3 was annoying enough!!!

Dreamer RD

I'm going to guess that the game hard drive caches and streams aggressively, so older PS3's might have an issue there.

Games like Uncharted 3 and Battlefield 3 that do this also had bizarre issues that were localized to certain PS3s and/or PS3-TV combos.

I have slim bought in late 2009, is it old? But really weird, the last game in which I experienced screen tearing was Gran Turismo 5

theDeeDubs

Hmm, so that means PS3 is dying? Wonder why other games run smooth. Just checked Twisted Metal demo again, Ass Creed 2, RE5, Shadow of Colossus and FFXIII - nothing unusual, no screen tearing or other graphical issues.

Maybe some in-game display settings is reason of this?

What's weird is I thought I remembered those two games having bad screen tearing actually.

hsukardi

Considering this game is made by the Yakuza team, and the franchise is large in Japan, I'm expecting SOME Japanese noise over why the 360 version is outperforming the PS3 version. If any one of you have news please let us know.

gogogow

What is the game's native resolution?

AFAIK 720p, much sharper than Yakuza K/3/4 which was 1024x768. The 360 version is a little bit sharper than the PS3 version, because it uses MSAA and MLAA respectively. 360 version has a little bit more jaggies, PS3 version is almost jaggy free. Also zero tearing here.

hsukardi

AFAIK 720p, much sharper than Yakuza K/3/4 which was 1024x768. The 360 version is a little bit sharper than the PS3 version, because it uses MSAA and MLAA respectively. 360 version has a little bit more jaggies, PS3 version is almost jaggy free. Also zero tearing here.

"The PS3 version apparently has some trouble with framerate. During cut scenes, the 360 version stayed at a constant 30 while the PS3 averaged 29.008, going between 25 and 30.5. During gameplay, the 360 version was 29.251fps average (24 to 30fps) with 0.183% tearing. The PS3 version averaged 26.698fps (18.5 to 30.5fps) with 0 tearing. The blog writer says that he's surprised by the framerate result given the experience the Yakuza team has with the PS3."

http://andriasang.com/comzv8/binary_domain_comparison/
http://blog.livedoor.jp/ps360/archives/53481556.html

gogogow

"The PS3 version apparently has some trouble with framerate. During cut scenes, the 360 version stayed at a constant 30 while the PS3 averaged 29.008, going between 25 and 30.5. During gameplay, the 360 version was 29.251fps average (24 to 30fps) with 0.183% tearing. The PS3 version averaged 26.698fps (18.5 to 30.5fps) with 0 tearing. The blog writer says that he's surprised by the framerate result given the experience the Yakuza team has with the PS3."

Yeah, I played the PS3 version, zero tearing.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA

I was gonna say. There were some moments when it's inconsistent on mine, but I never even got close to 'slide show' territory.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
I don't know where I got it in my mind that this might be a cool game, but the demo was pretty shameful. Terrible frame rate despite extremely simple texture work, bad character running/walking/aiming animations (rolling and cover animations were okay, though). The sound was pretty weak, too.

This felt like someone's first try at a shooter (and I guess it sort of was?) but from 2007. Get your shit together, Japan, if you're going to bother making games like this.

Played the demo on Hard. Pretty middling to be honest. This game would probably be a lot more fun with a more stable frame rate.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I just finished the demo. I don't have a mic, but I found the L2 commands to be sufficient.

Overall, it was pretty impressive. It's hard to believe this game came from the Ryu ga Gotoku guys, especially after that dogshit zombie game. I didn't think these guys could do a proper action game.

Still, I wish we got more story/character drama stuff in the demo. That's what Nagoshi's team does best.

I played on the PS3 and there were definitely some noticeable frame rate problems. It made the "mission 2" combat pretty difficult.

got my jPan account back up (remembered my password lol) and DLed the demo

Framerate wasn't nowhere near as bad as I thought it would be, but it was a bit dissapointing ....vsync help mitigate that though

Hoping final retail nets better FPS as this REALLY feels good to play with a DualShock3.
Between Vanquish and now this, dem japanese devs know how to tweak some analog aiming. Feels fantastic!

IrishNinja

damn, just grabbed the demo before work - looking forward to playing it on my day off tomorrow. it's # 1 in queue for me @ gamefly, totally keeping it if it delivers. go Nagoshi!

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
So despite this being the teams fifth PS3 game, it actually runs much better on 360?! What the hell?

At the cost of Aliasing but still i bet most people would trade aliasing for higher frames any day.
Better AA is good for screenshots (which im sure a lot of people are gonna compare and will keep saying the PS3 version is better because of it)
But when the game is in your hands in motion fps matters so much more.

Hate to be the guy to say it (since it seems no one else has) but ida loved to get a PC version of this game....my consoles have been gathering dust over the last few months while my PC hasnt had a free day....going back to struggling to maintain 30fps is gonna be hard....but this is the game thats forced me to do it....damn you Binary Domain!

Has anyone ever wondered what would happen if Sonys first party devs got a crack at making a 360 game?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
At the cost of Aliasing but still i bet most people would trade aliasing for higher frames any day.
Better AA is good for screenshots (which im sure a lot of people are gonna compare and will keep saying the PS3 version is better because of it)
But when the game is in your hands in motion fps matters so much more.

Hate to be the guy to say it (since it seems no one else has) but ida loved to get a PC version of this game....my consoles have been gathering dust over the last few months while my PC hasnt had a free day....going back to struggling to maintain 30fps is gonna be hard....but this is the game thats forced me to do it....damn you Binary Domain!

Has anyone ever wondered what would happen if Sonys first party devs got a crack at making a 360 game?
It's not THAT difficult to go back. The PC is still an inconsistent place for me. For everything game that runs flawlessly I run into one that has strange framerate issues (where 60 fps according to FRAPS doesn't look like 60 fps). Still, nothing beats great image quality mixed with 60 fps (when it all works together).

I'm hoping the PS3 version of BD runs better in the end, however. The footage on Gamespot is much more consistent than the demo, for instance.

Top Bottom