• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Binary Domain Demo Impressions (JP - Out Now, US/EU - Feb 15 2012)

Feindflug

They've been showing the PS3 version. Take from that what you will.

As for the demo performance, I'm fairly sure this is the demo from the Eurogamer Expo back in September, so maybe it's just an old build.

Yep, PS3 is probably the lead platform but all the frame-rate complaints are disappointing and I want to see if things in the 360 versions are any better - I'd take worse IQ for a better frame-rate any day.

As you said maybe this is just an old build...btw for anyone interested the 360 demo is up on the JP marketplace (1.2gb).

Shinriji

I played and I find it OK. The gunplay is solid, the graphics are good (didn't find the framerate dips so intense as people says). The main thing is: The average grunt takes forever to kill and they are smart, in a bad way. They keep circling around you and as soon as you shoot them and zigzag like a snake, it feels like your average human opponent on COD.

But I liked the command system, and if the voice recognition works as the demo video shows, the game will be awesome. Well, that's because I trust Studio Yakuza games.

DaBuddaDa

Played the demo, quick impressions:

Poor framerate in spots no doubt, hopefully this is due to old code being used for the demo which seems like the trend nowadays. It didn't leave much of an impression to be honest. The shooting feels fine but nowhere near as good as a Gears or Vanquish and the graphics are underwhelming. Good in general but seems to excel at nothing.

Coxy

I only had framerate problems in the very first room of the second mission, other than that it was fine but I was killing the enemies very quickly. I didnt find them too bullet spongey because I upggraded my gun and used the best guns I found lying around. Just try and aim for the head and chest, the damage system means leg or arm shots dont do much. I enjoyed it quite a bit will definitely pick it up at some stage. The weapons/ammo/upgrade vending machines reminded me of games like dino crisis and blue stinger

Feindflug

I'm thinking the 360 demo will probably net better performance?

Yep, just finished playing the 360 version and the frame-rate is much better, didn't notice any other graphical differences besides maybe a more pronounced motion blur and slightly better IQ (though both seem to run at sub-HD) on the 360.

Game is great btw, day one purchase for me.

Nakimushi

Banned
I think I like it more then Syndicate demo ...

graphics is better then I expected ... at least in 1 stage
shooting is solid
2 stage is a little mess ...
but I hope full game will be great with many missions around the citys etc
cant wait for reviews / if its solid 7-8 I will probably get it

Yep, just finished playing the 360 version and the frame-rate is much better, didn't notice any other graphical differences besides maybe a more pronounced motion blur and slightly better IQ (though both seem to run at sub-HD) on the 360.

Yay!

Himself

Still no word on a US demo? This is probably gonna be my next purchase after twisted metal, but I really need to play it first. Dang it.

Looks like I might have a use for that headset that came with my 360 after all!

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Still no word on a US demo? This is probably gonna be my next purchase after twisted metal, but I really need to play it first. Dang it.

Looks like I might have a use for that headset that came with my 360 after all!

What's stopping you from playing the Japanese demo?

Kinyou

I really like the Squad interaction. Every other developer just seems to add teamates as placeholders for coop partners.

Himself

What's stopping you from playing the Japanese demo?

Isn't it in Japanese and doesn't the game sort of rely fairly heavily on voiced commands? I feel like I'll be missing a major component of the game by not being able to understand what is being said.

EagleEyes

For the life of me I can't find the demo on my Japanese account. I even looked in the demo section and the newest one they have listed is some Monster Hunter Frontier demo.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Isn't it in Japanese and doesn't the game sort of rely fairly heavily on voiced commands? I feel like I'll be missing a major component of the game by not being able to understand what is being said.

They understand english commands. Or mine did. I said 'regroup' in English and they did so

UrbanRats

I admit i've gone in expecting some trashy, generic, 3rd person shooter crap.
I am pleasantly surprised.

It controls pretty well (except for the melee and the grenades, that i'm not liking that much.. also i'd like a crouch button) and best of all, the enemies are not boring bullet sponges to shoot at (Uncharted, coff coff) they break up and shit.
Not a big fan of the art design, but it's not atrocious or anything; still not sold on it, but it's on my radar now, at least.

Suzuki Yu

very nice to hear.
but i guess the demo is only for Gold-members :/

Suzuki Yu

^^
OK i just remembered
while aiming you need to press right or left but only cursor and camera angle can be adjusted.
unless you are aiming from the left edge of the cover while pressing left.

Koralsky

PS3 demo is ok. But I'm also sure that it is quite old build. I thinks it's a E3 build.

There's definitively problems with the framerate and some quite nasty clipping. The texture quality is a bit better than Yakuza titles on PS3, but not much. And just like Yakuza, it runs at lower res.

But overall, the games is far from ugly and I'm sure the final version will look better than this early build demo.

Gameplay wise, it's mostly good - the movement is excellent and the cover system works great. Of course, because of the language barrier we miss some of the innovative stuff.

Robot AI is good until they shoot you down. Your partners AI is not very good. Maybe even worst than RE5's. Again I hope they fix this stuff in the final version.

I've already preordered the game and looking forward to the full version in less than e month :)

Enjoyed the demo, blasting robots to pieces is great fun. I had to laugh when i shot off a robot's right arm, making him drop his gun and as he picked it up with his left arm, i shot that one off as well.

A nice touch i noticed is that you can avoid fighting the mid-level boss with the mini-gun in stage 2. If you shoot the hovering device he's holding on to, he will fall down before reaching the floor you're on. The same goes for the rest of the reinforcements that are flying in. A minor downside of this approach is that his mini-gun falls down with him and you don't get to use it.

Could someone that is fluent in Japanese have a look at the options and tell me what the "game" settings do? Perhaps there is a shoulder switch toggle like in Uncharted 3.

Also, what would i have to say for the AI to come and revive me when i'm downed, so i don't have to waste a med pack? I managed to do it once by yelling stuff like "medic", "help", "revive" and some other stuff, but i don't know what actually made the AI come over and help me. I might have said something that sounded similar to the proper Japanese command, or the game actually recognized the English command, but I tried to repeat it a few times since and had no success.

Rising_Hei

Loved the demo and didn't notice any annoying framerate drops... but having shiny cutscenes in this demo would have been great

As for the lower resolution... i found it harder to notice than in Yakuza's games for some reason

As for the A.I... i think it gets better as your friendships grows

Teknoman

The framerate got a little under 30 at times for PS3, but nothing unbearable. A smooth 30 would be nice, but so far I like the game, the amount of destruction you can do to the enemies, and the robot designs in general. Glad they have a fitting soundtrack too. The whole time I was thinking how much fun those fights would be on hard mode + 3p co-op though.

theDeeDubs

Blown away by the demo. They totally nailed TPS controls which is what I was initially worried about. Not being a big Yakuza fan and after seeing the first youtube video of this, it looked mediocre. The last couple of videos started to look really good though, and now finally getting my hands on it I'm totally sold. Day 1.

Haunted

Aeana, duckroll and Bebpo having completely different opinions on the demo doesn't help! :mad:

thetrin, Durante, shintoki get in here and tell me what to think. :p

∀ Narayan;34763632 said:
the music is great.

I played the PS3 demo late last night and has the volume turned down waaaaay low. Played through again today and I was able to appreciate the pew pew futuristic music. Dig it.

Playing through again I really began to fully appreciate how solid I think the controls are. Lots of little details in the presentation and gameplay as well, fighting the first stage boss I used the rocket launcher this time which essentially knocked all of his main exoskeleton off, which was very different than the first time through, where I just shot a section after section until it was dead. This second time through I also blew off his left arm, which is the one that has the rocket launcher on it.

Really enjoying what I've played so far.

Edit: Played through the first stage again on Hard, and it didn't really seem to present much more of a challenge at all.....by the way has anyone tried to jump on the boss at the end of the first stage? ;)

Endo Punk

What is up with the slow downs!? It's very noticable, I figured SEGA had a good handle on the PS3 hardware after the Yakuza games. Sigh. It better not be present in the retail release. Anyway solid TPS game, may purchase.

Riposte

Guess I'm getting the 360 version. Now I can put in my pre-order.

In any case, anyone know if Hidenori Shoji is doing the music for this game? He is pretty godlike and the best songs were the long level themes.

Really enjoyed it. Didn't know a bit what was happening like the order system but I got by and liked what I played. Shooting the robots was cool, especially the parts flying off em and dismembering them. Was fun, including the "boss" parts.

2nd stage was tougher and didn't get all through that. Graphically it's quite nice too. Definitely one to keep an eye on whenever it's supposed to come out.

Top Bottom