• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Binding of Isaac expansion hitting in late May

There's no technical reason to not having Xbox controls in a Flash game, as far as I know. I think Adobe added it with Flash Player 11, or so Google seems to imply?

But I haven't quite found any Adobe documentation on getting it to work.

Recarpo

I can't wait for this expansion. I've logged almost 80 hours in the game so far and it's still a blast to play. I've never actually played with an actual controller, though, I like the keyboard setup just fine.

There's no technical reason to not having Xbox controls in a Flash game, as far as I know. I think Adobe added it with Flash Player 11, or so Google seems to imply?

But I haven't quite found any Adobe documentation on getting it to work.

The game is built on an earlier version of flash though.

I'll definitely be buying the expansion on day 1.

was my GOTY 2011, can't wait for this!

I've beat Mom's heart with everyone, beat it 10 times, got all the achievements except those that involve beating Sheol, and a couple of the don't get hit ones. 70+ hours in...

Still feel like I need to beat that Devil at least once before the expansion comes out.

Great game, controls are solid, the floatyness is part of the fun. I'm 90% sure you can run a keymapping program to use a controller (x-padder or whatevs) if you can't handle the keyboard. What's yo beef?

Amagon

Yay!!! Bout time to hear new news about the expansion
joy2key makes it pretty much super easy. I think someone here even did the config file I forget who (sorry).

I use it and it works FLAWLESSLY. Xbox controller with this game, SO GOOD.

damn I put 76 hours in already.
Could never get the joy2key work with my 360 controller. :/ Seriously wish Edmund ported this game, outside of Flash itself. The slowdowns plus no supported controllers are the only two negatives I have with this game. Other than than, its super dandy fun and all!

Ifrit

Can't wait to play it, the base game is so freaking good and I spend many hours playing it

Edmund McMillen's twitter account got hacked recently, is it back again? I can't seem to find it

Haunted

Yay!!! Bout time to hear new news about the expansion
Could never get the joy2key work with my 360 controller. :/ Seriously wish Edmund ported this game, outside of Flash itself. The slowdowns plus no supported controllers are the only two negatives I have with this game. Other than than, its super dandy fun and all!
I personally use XPadder, works really well.

Edmund McMillen's twitter account got hacked recently, is it back again? I can't seem to find it
Yeah, I wondered about that as well. I wanted to pull some quotes for the OP but it looks like it got deleted.

Volcynika

He won't be using Twitter anymore

I suppose I'll write a quick message since answering the question over and over again is getting tiring.
*Ed is not using twitter anymore. It was hacked and twitter...I think has still not resolved the issue but in the first couple days Ed realized he preferred not having it. It can be rather time consuming. Being accessible to fans is cool, it taking up a couple hours a day, not cool. He will still update on the SMB twitter, you can always follow me, and I started a fan page. No twitter equals more creativity/productivity=win win for everyone, especially if you'd like new games and more content in the future.

via https://www.facebook.com/theedmundmcmillen

El Sloth

Banned
Speaking of joy2key, has anyone tried to play this game with an arcade stick? Was thinking about it on the bus today and seems payable in my head.

KTallguy

Banned
It would play great on a PS pad, because of the 4 buttons and D-pad. Can't imagine playing it with a stick. It has a lot in common with Everday Shooter control wise.

Mr_Zombie

It can't. BoI is Flash.

My biggest issue with the game. My GPU hates Flash (or maybe Flash hates my GPU?) and thus every flash game ends up lagging terribly. BoI sometimes runs smooth as butter, but if more than few enemies are on screen, and all of them start bleeding, weeping, throwing random shit (i.e. almost every screen), the game literally runs in slow motion :/.

Still, great game, although I haven't gotten all the endings yet (and haven't even met Devil). Will definitely buy the expansion pack.

Just saying.
I find the keyboard controls good too. No issues at all.

Except that Q and E are respectively mapped to your special item and bombs. I don't know how many times I've accidentally used one of them.

Hope the new additions make perfect runs easier, and not harder.

flowsnake

Edmund doesn't do the programming as far as I know, so I assume Florian Himsl is most comfortable with Flash/Actionscript. Being able to have a browser-based demo is nice though, and there are probably other reasons.

If there's no weird reason not to, they should at least use a newer flash though. You can see it in Amanita's games, Botanicula supports right click and Machinarium doesn't, so they must be using the newer flash that allows that.

Maximum hype, day one, etc.

How difficult could it be to move the code to a newer version? Especially if there's such a dramatic benefit to be had in doing so.

That's what I'm curious about. It's ridiculous having to play in full screen to prevent slowdown. I'm pretty sure the version it's using only does hardware acceleration when in full screen.

Haunted

Edmund doesn't do the programming as far as I know, so I assume Florian Himsl is most comfortable with Flash/Actionscript. Being able to have a browser-based demo is nice though, and there are probably other reasons.

If there's no weird reason not to, they should at least use a newer flash though. You can see it in Amanita's games, Botanicula supports right click and Machinarium doesn't, so they must be using the newer flash that allows that.
Floriaaaaan!

I mean, at that price point you can't really complain too much about this stuff, but you'd think it would also be easier on them to use a more modern program to code stuff in. Oh well.

El Sloth

Banned
It would play great on a PS pad, because of the 4 buttons and D-pad. Can't imagine playing it with a stick. It has a lot in common with Everday Shooter control wise.
Just tried it with my TE stick and it's feeling pretty sweet so far.

How I have it set up for now:

1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8

1= shoot left
2= shoot up
3= shoot right
5= shoot down
7= bombs
8= special items

And I have start set to pause and select set to regular items. Still experimenting with the set up, but I'm liking it so far.

Haunted

new screen:

q7kVT.jpg

Edmund McMillen said:
started heavy testing today.. here is a tease showing one of a few "map curses", also teases a few new room types

dat map

Harpuia

Huh. This thread reminded me that I never actually bothered to go beyond Mother's womb. I just may start playing this again when it comes out.

Haunted

Its the same symbol as the 'Whore of Babylon' item in the game. He (Edmund) has said that its a curse room, this curse was that two levels got layered together so twice the rooms making it more complicated.
The amount of permutations just one more item class and one more room type will allow is staggering.

Flynn

Here's the trailer.

Wrath of The Lamb
Coming to Steam May 28th.
Price = $3

The expansion adds the following:
100+ new items! (now over 235 items!)
5+ new chapters!
20+ new enemies!
25 new achievements!
15+ new bosses!
6+ new room types!
6+ new mysterious item drops (eternal hearts, playing cards, dimes and more!)
5+ new music tracks by Danny B
A new item type, Trinkets
A new challenge mode with 10 unique challenges (that unlock more content)
A new unlockable character, Samson (The Beserker)
A new final (final) chapter and boss with new endings
Tons of new random happenings, curses, blessings, npcs, fortune tellers and more!

Also more super secrets than you'd probably expect... good luck finding them all.

This will be the final expansion for Isaac. Development for Super Meat Boy: The Game has started full time and once it's moving i wont be looking back!

Grampasso

I totally forgot about this game. Every now and then I would remember about it and tell myself "I should buy it", then I eventually forgot. Guess I'll get the bundle.
Does it have overworld action or just 2d Zeldalike dungeons?

Top Bottom