• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Biohazard 5 Famitsu scans

translation

pg1
Its been 2 years since we last got a news update on Bio5. News for Biohazard 5, the latest entry in the series responsible for coining the term 'survival horror', has been revealed. The main character for the title is Chris Redfield, who is also the main protagonist in the first game. He also made an appearance in Code: Veronica, where he travels to save his younger sister, and is considered the 'main character' for the series. What he's going to face in "5", is a crazed group of people in a desert zone. Right now, we'll shows what Jun Takeuchi have to say about the game, as well as the messages of the previous episodes. This is what the world has been waiting for.

pg2
"5" talks about war. The area seems to have some sort of racial quarrel, and its a bizzare place with no justice nor evil. There's no more S.T.A.R.S, but for some reason Chris still gets involve in the incident. There's a "BSAA" patch on his shoulder, if you are observant enough. Takeuchi stated "Something occurred, and the organisation send him there."

The enemy is neither a zombie nor ganado. Takeuchi described them to be 'human-like with intelligence'. From the shots, we can see a massive amount of enemies on screen. In comparison to '4', the enemies behave closest to the ganado in the village. What is Chris fighting for? Actually, these screens were shown over at the E3 event. In the trailer, Chris mumble to himself 'what am I fighting for?' Maybe his inner thought is one of the things that the game will be portraying.

pg 3
The 'structure' of the game seems simliar to '4', where the game character got shifted to the lower left corner when aiming. However, Jun Takeuchi stated that there's a 'secret weapon' (or maybe just an expression, not literally a weapon) in the beginning of 5. He spoke of the evolution to what is expected for a Biohazard game, and that he's not making the game with the aim of just going back to the root nor fixing what's broken. Its a true evolution.

pg 4
Now we have here is the follow-up interview to what we've heard from Jun Takeuchi 2 years ago. Besides questions concerning the screenshots, the interview will also contain things like the thoughts from the developers, among others. Furthermore, the screenshots that's accompanying this interview are taken from the E3 trailer. The HD version of the trailer will be available on July 27 through XBox Live and PS Network. The trailer IS NOT CG, and they are in real-time. Now go drool over the quality of the screenshots and then return to this interview.

- After 2 years of silence, the breaking of the news surprised us
When we were thinking what to do for a new generation Biohazard game, we always look at Shinji Mikami's '4'. That game is like the peak of the series, that seems like a wall so high that you think it's totally impossible to pass it. When we think of how to 'give birth' to '5', we realised we have to stop having the idea of just following his footsteps. In that case, even if we used '4' game system, we will have the hardship of adding in new elements, which is where we will spend most of our time on. After playing this game, I think everyone will feel as if they have just completed '4' for the first time again.

- Is Chris selected for the game for the sake of making a closure to the series?
Its more of like a summary of the life for Chris in the last 10 years, rather than a closure. Once we tells what he have been doing, the stuffs that weren't shown in '4' will be revealed. I believe after this trailer, everyone will have mixed thoughts and feelings about it. However, we've a very important 'secret weapon' in the game.

- Secret weapon?
Yes. The basic game system is nearly identical to '4', but there's also a new important game element that will be added in '5'.

- The content?
We can't reveal it at the moment, because if we do, there's nothing for us to talk about next year! (laugh)

- We have to wait until next year?
Of course you won't have to wait for another year for the next news update (laugh) anyway please just treat it as a title that succeeded '4' at the moment. However, when we reveal the next trailer, maybe everyone will have a different impression. You'll go 'Oh!? Is this a Biohazard game?'

- There's a strong contrast in the screenshots
Despite a direct opposing of the 'darkness' featured in past Biohazards, if we were to rise it to a certain level, we can achieve the same result. Take for instance, Chris enters a building without a door. Because the surrounding is brighter, the interior will look darker. When you enter the building, your eyes will need some adjustment.

- The game will feature that?
Yes. Similarly, when you exit a dark room to a bright area, you'll see nothing until your eyes gets used to it. This radiates a 'hot', 'bright' feeling to the people. Although it'll be only for a short instance, this is where the annoying part. The difficulty of seeing and aiming during that instance will be the new way of portraying the 'horror' element of the game.

- The secretive female who plays a large role
Actually you'll only see this at the end of the trailer. She'll be the focus for the next trailer. Look out for her in the midst of the next trailer.

- Is she from a previous game?
I've been pretty forgetful lately. I can't recall, sorry (laugh)

- You liar! Will she play an important part in the story?
Her existence, from every angle, plays an important.
That's what I guessed.
Speaking of which, I think any long time gamers of the series will have already made a good guess by now.

- Like say, a character who have been captured but haven't been rescued yet?
She seems to experienced that (laugh) She's actually the thing which will make the gamer goes 'is this really a Biohazard game?' that I said earlier on.

- Relating to the new game element right?
Tied to the new game element and the story. Without her, it'll be impossible to discuss about the content of '5'.

- What's the release date for the game?
I was planning to write the release year at the end of the trailer, but the last two digits kept changing like a flashlight in my mind. It kept jumping between 08 and 09. Heck sometime it jumped to '10' (laugh)

- So the earliest we'll see the game is 2008?
2008 might be a too unrealistic. 2010 will be a wiser guess.

- well...that means good stuffs take time to develop right?
The development is very smooth, and hopefully the next interview we have, we'll be able to talk more about it. Hopefully I'll be able to reveal the release date by then.

- We'll be waiting!

xfactor said:

Thanks for the translations.

In the trailer, Chris mumble to himself 'what am I fighting for?'

Oh my god. Are they going to... MGS the RE series? :lol

- Like say, a character who have been captured but haven't been rescued yet?
She seems to experienced that (laugh) She's actually the thing which will make the gamer goes 'is this really a Biohazard game?' that I said earlier on.

Sounds like it has to be Sherry to me.

rakka

shuri said:

Yes, wtf indeed :lol

Will be a long wait.

Truth is, Jun Takeuchi placed a 2008-2010 as the possible release years. When the interviewer speculated 2008 with hope, Takeuchi stated that personally he think 2010 will have be a realistic guess.

Permaban if its not released in 2009. :D

2010 is just ridiculous. :_(

Ryuuga

Banned
- Secret weapon system?
Yes. The basic game system is nearly identical to '4', but there's also a new important game element that will be added in '5'.

Maybe they're throwing a little bit of the DR mechanic in there. Using certain items around to your advantage. Maybe there will be items/weapons that can be used freely without having to store them in your inventory. Maybe melee attacks from RE4 that use the environment to your advantage. Just maybe...just maybe

Aggelos

Kudos for the translation!

-Is Chris selected for the game for the sake of making a closure to the series?
Its more of like a summary of the life for Chris in the last 10 years, rather than a closure. Once we tells what he have been doing, the stuffs that weren't shown in '4' will be revealed. I believe after this trailer, everyone will have mixed thoughts and feelings about it. However, we've a very important 'secret weapon' in the game.

Even if we are in year 2016 (20th anniversary) there won't be a story finale planned for the Biohazard games......

xfactor

Banned
That's just a shady way of not telling us when we can expect the game to be released..its too early in its development stage for them to make an estimation

Reilly said:
If you're going to put the camera that close to Chris' head, why not make it a FPS? :lol

I mean **** he takes up 1/3 of the screen. Like I'm suppose to give a shit about the back of his head?

THANK YOU!

This is one of the many reasons why I'm still pissed over the changes from RE0-3 to RE4-5. They should of left it ALONE!

Phoenix Fang said:
Poor Silent Hill 5. Konami should release it as soon as possible in order to stand a chance against RE5.

Its too late for them now. They're letting an American team do it, a team that made such AAA titles like The Da Vinci Code and who can forget the great Star Wars Episode III game. Thank God they wern't allowed to ruin Dirty Harry.

Reilly said:
If you're going to put the camera that close to Chris' head, why not make it a FPS? :lol

I mean **** he takes up 1/3 of the screen. Like I'm suppose to give a shit about the back of his head?

The same reason they didn't make the original RE a FPS, which they had considered: actually seeing your character under attack is more frightening.

From the RE1 wikipedia article:

Resident Evil was initially envisioned as a first-person shooter until it was decided that playing from a first-person perspective was not scary enough.

Jenga

Banned
Who's the guy with the bullhorn? Also, I can't wait until Jesse Jackson/Al Sharpton/Jack Thompson call racism on this game.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
"5" talks about war. The area seems to have some sort of racial quarrel, and its a bizzare place with no justice nor evil. There's no more S.T.A.R.S, but for some reason Chris still gets involve in the incident. There's a "BSAA" patch on his shoulder, if you are observant enough. Takeuchi stated "Something occurred, and the organisation send him there."

The enemy is neither a zombie nor ganado. Takeuchi described them to be 'human-like with intelligence'. From the shots, we can see a massive amount of enemies on screen. In comparison to '4', the enemies behave closest to the ganado in the village. What is Chris fighting for? Actually, these screens were shown over at the E3 event. In the trailer, Chris mumble to himself 'what am I fighting for?' Maybe his inner thought is one of the things that the game will be portraying.

"/

So they did go this route with the story... I hope they pull it off flawlessly.

I'm really wondering what the secret gameplay system is. That, and if this will be up on STEAM. Also, Chris needs his rematch against Wesker. Last time he got owned, very badly.

capslock

Is jealous of Matlock's emoticon
le.phat said:
I'm not talking about africa as a whole, but about the countries that are in conflict; the civil wars raging in parts of africa are as brutal and frightning as war can get.

Yeah, they're not as posh and genteel as other civil wars.

I am thinking that since the girl is a part of the secret gameplay mechanic as well as the story, there could be some kind of co-op gameplay, maybe only with a CPU that engages in combat, but who knows. Also, RE4 was (as far as we can tell) originally planned to give Leon a few additional powers due to his infection (back when it was the progenitor virus), so maybe that's what's going on in this one? Sherry is somehow superhuman due to infection and then vaccine for the G-Virus, but she's on the side of the good guys? I dunno.

Christopher

The female in question is Jill Valentine!!

someone do the face more that CVX has with Jill i'm 100% it's a match.

edit: or maybe I want it to be here that bad, she has all the facial features of her RE1 model - but at the same time it looks like Claire's trademark ponytail and leather jackets....ugh please don't be Claire.

Christopher said:
The female in question is Jill Valentine!!

someone do the face more that CVX has with Jill i'm 100% it's a match.

edit: or maybe I want it to be here that bad, she has all the facial features of her RE1 model - but at the same time it looks like Claire's trademark ponytail and leather jackets....ugh please don't be Claire.
it's Sherry. pretty much confirmed by the details in this article.

Christopher

plagiarize said:
it's Sherry. pretty much confirmed by the details in this article.

it still kinna looks like Jill to me, but I'll cave, and it would make sense for Sherry to emulate Claire's look too so.

Mugen

Banned
plagiarize said:
did RE4 come under fire for featuring a white guy shooting lots of hispanic people?

the game is set in africa.

calling it racist would be like saying 'africa is racist because almost all the people in prison in africa are black!'

RE4 was white guy killing white guys. The games takes places unofficially in Spain so everybody are Spaniards aka white people. It's so easy for you white people to complain about the controversy surrounding RE4, but I bet you guys wouldn't want to play a game starring a black man who travels to some dirt poor European country and kills all white people and that's probably why there isn't one. White people can't even stand to watch a gun fighting movie where an Asian dude is shooting down white people as seen in the Replacement Killers staring Chow Yan Fat.

The second you see the pic you have to think its Sherry, the new info just confirms it.

Like say, a character who have been captured but haven't been rescued yet?

Why am I afraid of that. I better be saying "is this really a biohazard game" in a good way cause if Sherry is running around like DMC or Alice in the crappy movies I will be pissed.

Honestly, I always had the feeling that I'd be questioning the quality of Resident Evil 5, simply by the fact that Shinji Mikami isn't working on it.

I have some hopes, though.

Snaku

Banned
U K Narayan said:
Honestly, I always had the feeling that I'd be questioning the quality of Resident Evil 5, simply by the fact that Shinji Mikami isn't working on it.

I have some hopes, though.

The only good thing he brought to the table with his return in RE4 was the new gameplay. He completely ****ed up the scenario & story. Dropping Umbrella like that in favor of some new organization & characters that had no consequence outside of that game was so retarded.

Caj814

It would be hilarious if the creators were leading us on about the girl and it ends up being Ashley again.

Ashley:CHRISSSSSSSSSSS HALLLLLLLLLLLLP!

Chris:Claire wasn't kidding about the shit Leon had to go through. . .

Ending
Ashley:How about spending some overti-

Chris:NO!

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Mugen said:
RE4 was white guy killing white guys. The games takes places unofficially in Spain so everybody are Spaniards aka white people. It's so easy for you white people to complain about the controversy surrounding RE4, but I bet you guys wouldn't want to play a game starring a black man who travels to some dirt poor European country and kills all white people and that's probably why there isn't one. White people can't even stand to watch a gun fighting movie where an Asian dude is shooting down white people as seen in the Replacement Killers staring Chow Yan Fat.

Hey man... be careful with your generalizations. I mean... isn't racism just ignorant, race-based generalizations mixed with hate?

...and the wheel keeps spinning...

I'm sitting back to see where they are going with the storyline of RE5, but graphically it is definitely looking great. And I'll assume that is Sherry at this point based on the hints.

Just as a note to the surprising amount of confusion out there, Spaniards are primarily white Hispanic. It must drive the Spaniards around here at NeoGAF crazy to watch themselves being defined and redefined during discussions that mention RE4.

Speevy

Banned
This late release date is pretty stupid. By then they won't be able to justify putting it onto more than one platform.

The Wispy Scoundrel said:
I can't believe racism is being brought in to this. It's a ****ing video game where you fight fictional monsters. If capcom want to set their game in Africa, I'm sure there's a good reason for doing so. I never understood how people can get so antsy about these things, I don't remember any complaints when RE was in America and hundreds of white zombies were being slain, nor in that Spanish village. But unsurprisingly the second a black guy gets it, everyone throws their arms up! Ridiculous.

I highly doubt the dev team sat in their offices and thought to themselves 'Hey guys, I feel like blasting some ni**** zombies, lets get to it!'. The setting just so happens to be Africa, and for tensions sake it's somewhere a lot of us aren't familiar with and I suppose in the game world, will provide a huge obstacle for Chris as he will be so far from home.

Maybe you 'politically correct' Gaffers out there would have a leg to stand on if the Resident Evil games had a rich history of political drama, but for christs sake they are action games with monsters. What you are basically saying is it is ok to kill fictional people, but not fictional black people.
Ermm ... ok.

ANYWAY WOW THE GAME LOOKS FRICKIN AMAZING DAY 1 PURCHASE.
they're also saying that it's okay to kill another race so long as their skin colour is pretty close to white (hispanics in RE4).

you should post more.

okay, i'm just saying that because your avatar reminds me of the rest of the picture it's been cropped from

Linkzg said:
any mention of control changes?

Its Capcom which means they stick to one formula that works for a while. Will probably, for the majority of the game, play exactly like RE4. RE6 will use the same control scheme as well. Just have to wait until Capcom get's bored or thinks of something better.

Mugen said:
i'm going to shock your entire world.

race does not mean the colour of your skin.

it's equally racist to say all spanish people are stupid as it is to say all black people are stupid.

Chris isn't killing *people* either.

Snaku

Banned
beelzebozo said:
. . . i feel you may be underplaying the importance of this

No, I'm not. My point was that it was the only good thing he gave the series. Now that Capcom has the gameplay, what do they need Mikami for? RE5 shouldn't be doubted just because Mikami isn't involved.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
okay, i think i misunderstood what you were getting at. his importance to the development of this game may not be as important, but his importance to the development of re4 was vital. he's consistently shaped the series and made it what it is.

beelzebozo said:
okay, i think i misunderstood what you were getting at. his importance to the development of this game may not be as important, but his importance to the development of re4 was vital. he's consistently shaped the series and made it what it is.
more to the point on more than one occasion he has stepped in and forced a reboot... even on games he wasn't directing. RE2 wouldn't be the game it ended up as without mikami insisting it get overhauled... and the same for RE4. the first 3 attempts at the game on the cube weren't even directed by Mikami... but you can guess who was saying they weren't up to snuff.

Mikami was the one who stepped in and got the game finished and released for crying out loud.

xfactor said:
That's just a shady way of not telling us when we can expect the game to be released..its too early in its development stage for them to make an estimation

That's what makes the least sense of all. The game doesn't look early.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
plagiarize said:
i'm going to shock your entire world.

race does not mean the colour of your skin.

it's equally racist to say all spanish people are stupid as it is to say all black people are stupid.

Chris isn't killing *people* either.

besides there were black Spaniards in RE4

Top Bottom