• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock "Exclusive Review" IGN edition - A lot of annoyed journos (Ironcreed wow).

JDSN

Banned
haha I'm surprised more of you guys aren't upset about this. Exclusive reviews help two groups of people: publishers and the outlets that run them. The one group they don't help is the group we're here to serve: readers. It's super gross.

Ugh, dont be such an entitled manchild!

And as for Arthur Gies's views about this, allow me to answer his complains and that other journalists with the words of a great man.
pVkyZYs.jpg

inky

Wasnt gies defending polygons exclusive simcity review like a week ago?

Well, it was early, but not exclusive as such. Most other outlets just knew better than to review an online only game under 'special server conditions' before proper launch.

Both are business decisions anyway. Jason can talk all about how it sucks for us readers (and it kind of does, not for me tho, I don't care about reviews) but the reason they are all uppity is because they are likely to get less clicks out of this, not because suddenly they can't serve us like we deserve.

Tempting indeed! But I'm pretty sure I'd say no. I've never written or published an exclusive review, but I'd guess that I'd feel pressure to tilt positive. An exclusive review is going to be a pre-release review, and I already publish those with some reluctance. It's hard to assess multiplayer games prior to their release (which is why we often don't and update the mp part of a review after the game is in the wild). But even reviews of single-player games, I've seen, generate more interest when people have a chance to compare those reviews with the game they've played or heard about others playing.

In general, I prefer exclusives of our own making.

I actually like Kotaku for the most part, so this is good to hear. (Some filler articles here and there, and that's unavoidable with Gawker sites.)

FStop7

Banned
haha I'm surprised more of you guys aren't upset about this. Exclusive reviews help two groups of people: publishers and the outlets that run them. The one group they don't help is the group we're here to serve: readers. It's super gross.

We're already used to not being helped, thanks.

unbias

Well, it was early, but not exclusive as such. Most other outlets just knew better than to review an online only game under 'special server conditions' before proper launch.

Both are business decisions anyway. Jason can talk all about how it sucks for us readers (and it kind of does, not for me tho, I don't care about reviews) but they reason they are all uppity is because they are likely to get less clicks out of this, not because suddenly they can't serve us like we deserve.

Actually it effects you even if you dont care, because the unaware or ignorant consumer doenst know any better and are like lambs to the slaughter(not saying Bioshock is going to be bad).

Azull

That wasn't apparent from the single post he presented and I'm not reading through that huge thread to find out if he ever paid. If you're going to show a post as an example of a lack of integrity, you should show the part that actually shows what you're claiming.

Reading is tough for some people, we understand. It's ok. *Hug*

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I still don't get the people on Geoff's ass. He's an entertainer/host/etc not a journo. He has every right to share an opinion on this.

The whole Doritos thing makes no sense and serves no backing for dismissing him.

jschreier

Well, it was early, but not exclusive as such. Other outlets just knew better than to review an online only game under special conditions before proper launch.

Both are business decisions anyway. Jason can talk all about how it sucks for us readers (and it kind of does, not for me tho, I don't care about reviews) but they reason they are all uppity is because they are likely to get less clicks out of this, not because suddenly they can't serve us like we deserve.

nah, that's really not true, at least for us. No joke: our late reviews get just as many clicks as our early ones. I just brought this up in another topic - my Ni no Kuni review was like two weeks late and it still got 70k pageviews or so, which isn't half-bad for a late review of a fairly niche JRPG

massoluk

Banned
Nothing personal against Gies, but considering Polygon's first review of SimCity, this complaint has too much irony for me to handle.

It's still a review though

Sure, not giving scores makes it very, very unlikely that they'd get offered one, but it's a theoretical question anyway.

A pretty disingenuous rethorical question. But that's the thing, the publishers care more about the numerical number than the actual review.

Vire

I still don't get the people on Geoff's ass. He's an entertainer/host/etc not a journo. He has every right to share an opinion on this.

The whole Doritos thing makes no sense and serves no backing for dismissing him.

I think everyone's tongue is firmly planted in their cheek when talking about Geoff.

Look at how positive the CG Kojima thread is. It's all in good fun.

LMAO at Geoff's tweet. "You know I love exclusives...". He's so self aware that it's funny. Not sure why people are hating on him though.

Anyway as for the topic, of course they're bullshit.

The only problem I have with Geoff is that he identifies himself as a journal.
Look at his twitter.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
nah, that's really not true, at least for us. No joke: our late reviews get just as many clicks as our early ones. I just brought this up in another topic - my Ni no Kuni review was like two weeks late and it still got 70k pageviews or so, which isn't half-bad for a late review of a fairly niche JRPG

That's interesting to hear

unbias

That is probably because you dont put an arbitrary score on your stuff. I'm wondering if it is different if there is a big shiny score, that lets you not read anything but go "wow this game rocks". People like me who read kotaku go there to read, not to look at a score, you cant do that there. However, almost everywhere else, you get that immediate gratification of confirmation bias. Short term gains for long term woes, imo, when places do this, so good on you guys not doing scores.

Azull

Tempting indeed! But I'm pretty sure I'd say no. I've never written or published an exclusive review, but I'd guess that I'd feel pressure to tilt positive. An exclusive review is going to be a pre-release review, and I already publish those with some reluctance. It's hard to assess multiplayer games prior to their release (which is why we often don't and update the mp part of a review after the game is in the wild). But even reviews of single-player games, I've seen, generate more interest when people have a chance to compare those reviews with the game they've played or heard about others playing.

This is way I don't mind Kotaku...sometimes... ;)

nomis

A couple of sentences can sum up a game review by telling us about the technical aspects, gameplay, and graphics. I don't mind scores because it gives me an indication of the game, but there is no need for bullshit personal opinions and their personal experiences mudding up a game for someone.

I hope this is fucking satire

There should be like a industry-wide agreement under journalist media outlets to first release reviews after release for games that are critical on multiplayer or always online. And generally reviews should not be put online before the day of release. And there should be some standards being set up regarding how much of the game should be played before a review can get published.

Something like an honorable codex that journalists have to follow.

That is probably because you dont put an arbitrary score on your stuff. I'm wondering if it is different if there is a big shiny score, that lets you not read anything but go "wow this game rocks". People like me who read kotaku go there to read, not to look at a score, you cant do that there, however, almost everywhere else, you get that immediate gratification of confirmation bias. Short term gains for long term woes, imo, when places do this, so good on you guys not doing scores.

I think they are pretty aware of that, hence the no Score.

Kinyou

Good point about the pre-release. Probably one of the reasons why those exclusive reviews tend to be on the 9s or 10s

inky

Actually it effects you even if you dont care, because the unaware or ignorant consumer doenst know any better and are like lambs to the slaughter(not saying Bioshock is going to be bad).

In a "grand scheme of things" sort of way, sure. Heck, Sim City is a clear example: early Metacritic was at 92 for a while, they announced sales are over the roof, always online likely to be here to stay and infect other games I care about more.

That said, the battle against ignorant consumers is not something that will be won just by having less exclusive reviews. We need "better" reviews for starters.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
jschreier said:

For someone who apparently cares so much about his readers you seem to have a shockingly low opinion of our intelligence.

Azull

Awesome review btw, keep em coming :D.

To the post above me...Dat pic, Coffee was spewed everywhere good sir.

unbias

I think they are pretty aware of that, hence the no Score.

Oh ya, I agree, didnt mean to persume they didnt know that. I was just stating why I think it is different for the shiny score people, and why it effects their clicks/views. They(not Kotaku) rely on that.

Jb

Wait a minute, you're telling me I will not be able to determine whether or not Bio Infinite is worth spending 70EUR on by simply reading the IGN review?

What has the world come to? What pillars of western civilization are now left to protect us simple minded folks from harm and deception?

apes_damnyou.jpg

Top Bottom