• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite IGN Review In Progress: A.K.A Console Owners Cry

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Columbia is both exactly the same as the original’s underwater utopia of Rapture, yet simultaneously completely different.

*sigh*

angelfly

You can only squeeze so much performance out of these consoles for modern games. Sacrifices have to be made to balance the performance. Play it on PC if you want the best experience. If you're playing on a 6 year old piece of outdated tech don't expect the best experience.

Derrick01

Banned
Sounds like every multiplatform console game released in the last few years now. Sub HD or barely HD, cinematic 24fps and awful texture work.

Vire

Not necessarily true. Look at something like Tomb Raider which ran smoothly on consoles while delivering solid visuals. The PC version was fucked up at launch as well.

Thank you, the people coming in saying "Yeah well, 7 year old console lololol"

Clearly haven't played Tomb Raider.

Bioshock from 2007 was a technical masterpiece? What? I thought the art direction saved it because there was absolutely nothing about it that screamed high res textures.

Orayn

Console owners disappointed by technical compromises needed to make it run at all.
PC owners to be disappointed by gameplay compromises needed to make it control and sell well on consoles.

This is the generation where nobody wins.

Jonm1010

Banned
I thought Dishonored looked good on the 360...

I'm sure with the next-gen consoles coming out later this year we'll see the game ported over anyhow.

Yeah I could see a lot of companies making for a quick cash garb and porting thier current gen games in a bundle and upping the resolutions, textures and lighting a bit - maybe a few extras as a selling point - and releasig them most likely on the digital stores for a lower price.

"19.99 Bioshock Ultimate franchise pack."

diamount

Banned
Console owners underwhelmed by technical compromises needed to make it run at all.
PC owners to be underwhelmed by gameplay compromises needed to make it control and sell well on consoles.

Some people don't give a shit. Nobody wins.

Muffdraul

Wait... some of the people in this thread actually sound as if they have PCs that will be able to run Bioshock Infinite at high settings... but it took this bit of "news" to push them into making the decision to get the game on PC instead of PS360. Seriously?

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
If you have a PC capable of playing the game, not sure why you would play the 360 version anyway.

Raxus

You are remembering things wrong. No game on consoles looked as good as Bioshock when it was released. MAYBE COD4, maybe...but Bioshock looked a bit better imo.

Ehhhhhhhh.

Bioshock:
bioshock19.jpg

CoD4:
COD4_Screenshots_Large3.jpg

This may be an unfair comparison until high end PC GAF comes here but the art direction helped Bioshock a ton.

If it's only minor drops in framerate, I probably won't notice. Plus I don't think I'll be too bothered by the muddy textures.

Disappointing to hear, though.

Pretty sure the console versions will be just fine. Sure, they are limited technically, and there's no surprise here. They had all the time necessary to polish it, no doubt IG made a great work.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
IGN started another one of those incredibly stupid review and progresses, but unfortunately there was a bit of news in it worth mentioning to GAF at large.

Why is a review in progress incredibly stupid?

Sober

Console owners disappointed by technical compromises needed to make it run at all.
PC owners to be disappointed by gameplay compromises needed to make it control and sell well on consoles.

I hope 1999 mode is worth jumping into and not another one of those "hey we 'remember' our PC/harder-core roots, here's a difficulty for you we spent maybe 5 minutes tweaking but never balanced" afterthoughts.

triggaz

Banned
The only thing assholeish is something as ridiculous and navel gazing as a "Review in Progress"

Dude you took there content. Content you felt was thread worthy posted it here and went out you way to make a comment of denying them clicks. That's a asshole move. You could've said with a grain of salt or something. But a deliberate attempt to take there business while using there content is pretty disgusting.

Raxus

'PC version is poorly optimized'
'BOYCOTT THEM. BOYCOTT 2K PUNCH KEN LEVINE IN THE FACE!'
'Console version is poorly optimized'
'whatever'

To be fair these are the guys that (fairly) did two separate Bayonetta reviews but neglected to do one for PS3 Skyrim which WAS unplayable.

ruxtpin

Banned
i wonder if my HD Radeon 7870 will run this game >:)

haha just kidding poor console-only owners, I remember only mid-way into this past gen I still hadn't got a gaming grade PC. Didn't even know how to build my own. With the help of that neoGAF PC thread, Evilore and others, I built myself a damn mean PC back in 2010. Then since I got comfortable with building it, it became easy to upkeep parts and swap slowly so the expense was much lower over time when I need it. Plus since my brother-in-law gets parts all the time, it also helps.

It's so much better to do it that way, though, slowly upgrading PCs and keeping up with what the games demand than to have to do it all at once, much more manageable. Highly recommend the neoGAF PC Build topics.

My problem is that I've got the know-how to build my PC, and the money... I just don't have a place to put it. If I did end up building a gaming PC, it would be just that, a gaming PC; I'd leave it connected to my TV and I wouldn't use it for anything else. Right now, in my crowded apartment, it just can't happen (as much as I'd like it to). I know those "Steam boxes" are supposed to be coming out later this year, are there any other really small gaming-PC options out there?

Vire

Because I don't need you guys wasting my time, trying to get more clicks for each individual update. It all reeks of desperation and feeds into the publisher daily trailer release hype bullshit.

I'd prefer a world without them to be honest.

Orayn

I hope 1999 mode is worth jumping into and not another one of those "hey we 'remember' our PC/harder-core roots, here's a difficulty for you we spent maybe 5 minutes tweaking but never balanced" afterthoughts.

The fact that you can't access it until you beat the game makes me think it's the latter and they're trying to sweep it under the rug to reduce the likelihood of it being noticed and scrutinized.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Apparently the game got leaked on PS3.

Gamefaqs; not sure if he tells the truth but:

no screentearing to my knowledge game is more action based this time round less survival horror.

graphics r superb i dont want to spoil anything

woober

50" Pioneer Kuro Elite + big surround + comfortable couch = relaxing gaming to me.

Sure, I could hook up my PC to the same, but it's something that is far too much work for me.

All you need is a long hdmi cable depending on where your PC is.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10240&cs_id=1024008&p_id=3993&seq=1&format=2

$5 for a 10 ft cable is how I game on my TV, though I prefer gaming on my monitor.

Was going to get the PC version of this game anyway if the reviews are good.

Andrew.

Banned
I had no issues running Dishonored on PS3. No dips. Nothin. Sure there were muddy textures, but that was part art style and part hardware limitations. Nothing that ever came remotely close to breaking immersion or experience.

No fears here.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
IGN is not fit to comment on this IMO. It will be a typical UE game at worst.

Deadbeat

Banned
1999 mode sounds like a check box to help sell the game on PC.

From the IGN perspective I think it's a cool way to keep longer coverage on a hot title (which I'm sure is the reason IGN does it obviously).

And also stuff like this can help consumers.

Seems like win-win, no brainer to me.

50" Pioneer Kuro Elite + big surround + comfortable couch = relaxing gaming to me.

Sure, I could hook up my PC to the same, but it's something that is far too much work for me.

It's literally no work at all.

HDMI cable ($5)
Xbox wireles receiver ($15-$20)

Done.

To play devil's advocate, if the information in the article is worth posting and sharing, then isn't it worth clicking?

I agree. It's way worse to post something on a gaming forum and say that you don't want to give them clicks like theyre the devil or something like that. I hate some of this stuff that sometimes appears here on GAF and other forums... happens to some IGN and Kotaku articles most of the time. If you dont like them just don't visit them.

surly

Banned
Hopefully this will be well optimised for PC. I'll be playing at 2,560 x 1,440 so I won't be able to crank everything to the max, but hopefully I can get it running at 60 FPS at a decent quality level. It's out in a week or so, isn't it? I can't wait!

Top Bottom