• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite IGN Review In Progress: A.K.A Console Owners Cry

Which pretty much reinforces the idea that if they believe such a thing to be true, they wouldnt waste the effort in making a proper difficulty mode. It will be a bullet point, nothing more.

Aren't bullet points the kind of marketing they use *for* the dudebros? I'm not saying 1999 Mode won't be disappointing, but it'd be strange for them to create a supposedly throwaway feature for the portion of their audience (hardcore) that would criticize them most harshly for it.

Vire

I dunno, I remember being pretty impressed with Bioshock on 360 at launch.

It was running on Unreal 2.5, but it still looked really great to me.

Who knows, maybe Ryan and I will disagree. Framerate drops really is a bummer though.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
That's the sort of innocuous line of thinking that leads to 1-page articles spread out over 10 webpages. What's 8 more clicks?

And when that happens, if you feel the transaction cost becomes too high, stop visiting the site. You aren't entitled (uh oh!) to their content while at the same time refusing to support it because of the format in which its presented.

If IGN really is a horrible joke that sucks and has no credibility and fuck everything they do, STOP consuming their information in ANY form.

I dunno, I remember being pretty impressed with Bioshock on 360 at launch.

It was running on Unreal 2.5, but it still looked really great to me.

Who knows, maybe Ryan and I will disagree. Framerate drops really is a bummer though.

If anything, it might be an indication that the areas are much bigger than they were in Bio1.

StuBurns

Banned
I wonder if there are any graphical settings on the console version, the BioShocks are the only games I know that have that.

Vire

And when that happens, if you feel the transaction cost becomes too high, stop visiting the site. You aren't entitled (uh oh!) to their content while at the same time refusing to support it because of the format in which its presented.

If IGN really is a horrible joke that sucks and has no credibility and fuck everything they do, STOP consuming their information in ANY form.
It's kinda hard when publishers give them exclusive after exclusive in exchange for credibility.

I wonder if there are any graphical settings on the console version, the BioShocks are the only games I know that have that.
Did it really? What were the options, I don't remember.

IGN, pffff, such a joke. Oh, wheres the latest Michael Pachter thread again?

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Because I don't need you guys wasting my time, trying to get more clicks for each individual update. It all reeks of desperation and feeds into the publisher daily trailer release hype bullshit.

I'd prefer a world without them to be honest.

This review-in-progress is just a mechanism for giving people some snap-impressions of the game. I'm not sure what makes it "reek" of anything. Ryan is playing the game. He's providing some hands-on impressions in front of the review. That's it. What's the problem with that?

You're a smart guy, so I'm sure you know that typically the IGN review-in-progress is used for games with a very heavy online component, or for a game that's especially huge:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/03/04/simcity-review-in-progress
http://www.ign.com/videos/2012/05/19/diablo-iii-review-in-progress
http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/09/28/world-of-warcraft-mists-of-pandaria-review-in-progress

It's generally used when we want to provide some actual review-style opinion on a game but we haven't played enough yet for a review. That's a totally valid editorial product with genuine value to end consumers, I think.

Infinite is obviously a bit different. This review-in-progress is part of a broader week of Infinite coverage. You knew that too, if you read the first couple sentences of the article.

I'm on PC so this doesn't bother me but I was expecting this. I would be surprised if you could zip through colombia on those skylines without frame-rate drops and pop ups. From a technical perspective this is way more ambitious than rapture which was way more confined.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
How does that contradict what I said? As far as I'm concerned, Bioshock 1 is still "looking quite good" today.
You said it will look good to anyone that is used to playing on consoles.

I said that's not necessarily true, because people that only play on consoles have had access to some of the best looking games of this generation.

Gears of War 3 & Judgment
Halo 4
God of War 3 & Ascension
Uncharted 2 & 3
Red Dead Redemption
Journey

I disagree that BioShock 1 can hang with any of the above from a technical perspective.

It's not guaranteed that BioShock Infinite will surpass those and wow people. I hope it does but it's not an automatic given.

Vire

This review-in-progress is just a mechanism for giving people some snap-impressions of the game. I'm not sure what makes it "reek" of anything. Ryan is playing the game. He's providing some hands-on impressions in front of the review. That's it. What's the problem with that?

You're a smart guy, so I'm sure you know that typically the IGN review-in-progress is used for games with a very heavy online component, or for a game that's especially huge:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/03/04/simcity-review-in-progress
http://www.ign.com/videos/2012/05/19/diablo-iii-review-in-progress
http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/09/28/world-of-warcraft-mists-of-pandaria-review-in-progress

It's generally used when we want to provide some actual review-style opinion on a game but we haven't played enough yet for a review. That's a totally valid editorial product with genuine value to end consumers, I think.

Infinite is obviously a bit different. This review-in-progress is part of a broader week of Infinite coverage. You knew that too, if you read the first couple sentences of the article.

I changed the OP to reflect this, I admit I was in the wrong.

You can disable vsync.

Hm, interesting.

Grisby

Eh, I might wait on the Digital Foundry deal. Considering how long it's been in development I'd hope it'd run halfway decent.
Timeshift had it too I think. I feel like there have been one or two others but it's definitely a rare deal.

Dont know if anyone mentioned this but its NOT running on UE3!
Its an all new engine from what i understand!!!

Maybe thats she the graphics are coming up a little short?

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
That's the sort of innocuous line of thinking that leads to 1-page articles spread out over 10 webpages. What's 8 more clicks?

IGN used to put its top 25s on 25 different pages. People didn't like it, so we switched:

Old - 25 games on 25 Pages: http://www.ign.com/articles/2011/10/10/the-top-25-iphone-games
New - 25 games on 5 Pages: http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/02/07/the-top-25-iphone-and-ipad-games

We think a lot about the user experience and what we can do to improve it. Obviously editors don't have a hand in the flash ads or that side of things, but I think we do a good job of consistently making our Editorial products better and more reader-friendly on a consistent basis.

Vire

I'm curious to know how the PS3 version will stack up, cause I remember reading, "Were highly modifying the UE3 engine to take advantage of the Cell processor in the PS3." This game may be one of the few UE3 based games to do this. Let me see if I can find the link.

I'll believe it when I see it, do you remember the Bioshock PS3 version?

Wasn't exactly a beauty.

wasnt going to but now forced to double dip on the PC version...

(I got 360 preorder paid for by my wife-dont have heart to cancel it for pc version haha)

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
It's kinda hard when publishers give them exclusive after exclusive in exchange for credibility.

Did it really? What were the options, I don't remember.

If you can't trust them because they've traded away their credibility, then you don't need the information they're putting out because it's not credible. All the information they're releasing will be available elsewhere soon enough.

"But we deserve to know about the potential console performance issues right now, before we purchase!" Then they deserve a click for that information.

To your question, Bioshock had a v-sync option on 360. Not sure if there was anything else.

Muffdraul

You said it will look good to anyone that is used to playing on consoles.

I said that's not necessarily true, because people that only play on consoles have had access to some of the best looking games of this generation.

Gears of War 3 & Judgment
Halo 4
God of War 3 & Ascension
Uncharted 2 & 3
Red Dead Redemption
Journey

I disagree that BioShock 1 can hang with any of the above from a technical perspective.

It's not guaranteed that BioShock Infinite will surpass those and wow people. I hope it does but it's not an automatic given.

What I'm saying is that all of the games you mention have their fair share of low res textures, if you look for them. I don't think Bioshock 1 looked as good as God of War 3, and I would expect current GoW and current Bioshock to compare similarly.

And you can't say you disagree with me that Bioshock 1 is technically on par with those recent games, because I never said that. My point was that I don't care about the technical shit, all I care about is how a game looks to my eye. Bioshock still looks great to me. It doesn't look "technically stunning," but to me it holds up stylistically and artistically.

To me these arguments are like sort of like one person looking at an impressionist painting from 12 feet away and saying "Wow, so beautiful" and another person getting up really close and saying "Meh, it's just a bunch of little blots of color." Technically, yes that is indeed exactly what it is. But you don't have to look at it that way.

Bioshock was a good looking game but not because of the graphics.

StuBurns

Banned

Wasn't exactly a beauty.
They talked about the system programming being multithreaded so everyone was working within the PS3 limitations to stop it being a port job at the end, but who knows what the ultimate outcome will be. If it's any better on PS3, it's almost certainly not notably better.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism

Wasn't exactly a beauty.

They took a different approach to developing Infinite, with equal emphasis on all platforms, whereas PS3 Bioshock was a post-hoc port job. They said that a long ass time ago though, so who knows if it's still true.

Vire

They talked about the system programming being multithreaded so everyone was working within the PS3 limitations to stop it being a port job at the end, but who knows what the ultimate outcome will be. If it's any better on PS3, it's almost certainly not notably better.

That's encouraging to hear at least. Hopefully there is parity between the two.

I await Digital Foundry with great anticipation.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
And you can't say you disagree with me that Bioshock 1 is technically on par with those recent games, because I never said that. My point was that I don't care about the technical shit, all I care about is how a game looks to my eye. Bioshock still looks great to me. It doesn't look "technically stunning," but to me it holds up stylistically and artistically.
Fair enough.

I misinterpreted your comment to mean that console owners will automatically like this game because they aren't used to anything better and I disagree strongly with that sentiment.

And yes, I agree that it's a combination of art direction and technical implementation that makes for good looking games.

I hope Infinite delivers. Have had it pre-ordered for a long time. (PC here.)
(And now I have obligations in the week it comes out. Bah!)

Wasn't exactly a beauty.

Check out the link in my edited post. edit: basically the same thing as what StuBurns posted, expect they also talk about how their lighting engine is similar to UC2 and KZ2, in that its a deferred renderer.

Guess Who

Banned
Aren't bullet points the kind of marketing they use *for* the dudebros? I'm not saying 1999 Mode won't be disappointing, but it'd be strange for them to create a supposedly throwaway feature for the portion of their audience (hardcore) that would criticize them most harshly for it.

That, plus, I like the implication that they wouldn't put in the effort to work on a feature that's not going to be a dudebro selling point. When the hell did Irrational start catering their games towards dudebros? They make the games they want to make. They shopped the original Bioshock around for years looking for a publisher even though they thought it was hopeless just because they really wanted to make it. If they put in a 1999 mode, it's because they wanted to make it, and that alone is why they would put in effort.

Top Bottom