• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite IGN Review In Progress: A.K.A Console Owners Cry

Isaccard

Really that's what these "hardcore" modes are. They're almost always tacked on and what they're basically doing is trying to make the most out of a game that was designed from the start to be a casual console title.

It's near impossible to make something deep out of nothing. It's a lot easier to do the opposite, yet very few try it that way.

Odd, I thought this was the mode you were most excited about?

And when that happens, if you feel the transaction cost becomes too high, stop visiting the site. You aren't entitled (uh oh!) to their content while at the same time refusing to support it because of the format in which its presented.

If IGN really is a horrible joke that sucks and has no credibility and fuck everything they do, STOP consuming their information in ANY form.

Why should I do that? Am I any less within my legal rights to read reposted information on forums and use AdBlock than IGN is to post a drip-feed of information that could be delivered all at once? In an age of free information and savvy internet users, all journalism has left is a patronage model. If IGN wants on my whitelist, it has to earn it.

Derrick01

Banned
Odd, I thought this was the mode you were most excited about?

Excited is the wrong word. I'm intrigued at how it will be because they swear it'll replicate an old school PC experience. But everyone says that about their modes and it's always a failure. It didn't even work with Fallout New Vegas until mods and Sawyer's mod chipped in and fixed it. It also failed spectacularly with Hitman Absolution because the game was designed around instinct mode and smaller console levels.

I don't believe you can create a properly designed hardcore game out of a game created for casuals (for the most part) short of mods that change the entire game around, something devs don't have the time or money to do while they're already making the base game.

Stark said:
Much more than that.

I remember hearing that all of those other times too. Better to wait for the final result than believe them automatically.

ButchCat

After playing Dishonored I always thought some of the game assets were reminiscent of Infinite, maybe it has something to do with both using a modified version of the unreal engine.

I'll wait until the inevitable PS4/Next Gen "Complete Edition" port. I have a pretty decent backlog right now anyway. Maybe in the mean time I'll get that Bioshock double pack and finally play Bioshock 2. Is the PS3 version of that good?

Oh noes! It reminded the reviewer of Disohonored technically, a game that I played and thoroughly enjoyed on 360! I feel so terrible!!! I don't know how I'm possibly going to enjoy this without high resolution textures!

Andrew.

Banned
I'll wait until the inevitable PS4/Next Gen "Complete Edition" port. I have a pretty decent backlog right now anyway. Maybe in the mean time I'll get that Bioshock double pack and finally play Bioshock 2. Is the PS3 version of that good?

Yup the version is fine.

StuBurns

Banned
It's fine. Play Minerva's Den, it's rad.

EDIT: Beaten

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Why should I do that? Am I any less within my legal rights to read reposted information on forums and use AdBlock than IGN is to post a drip-feed of information that could be delivered all at once? In an age of free information and savvy internet users, all journalism has left is a patronage model. If IGN wants on my whitelist, it has to earn it.

This debate was never about legality.

It's a matter of feeling like you can consume information that you consider worth consuming while holding the dissonant belief that the provider of that valued information deserves nothing in return.

It's the difference between actually taking a principled stand against something versus being a weasel, taking what you want, and using your "principles" to rationalize your own non-reciprocal (i.e., cheating) behavior.

Vire

Get Minerva's Den while you are at it, it's better than the maingame itself.

Ricker

Of course it will not look as good as on a good gaming PC but if I go by recent games,like Tomb Raider,Crysis 3,DmC it will play and look good nonetheless on consoles,I am not worried about that...

This debate was never about legality.

It's a matter of feeling like you can consume information that you consider worth consuming while holding the dissonant belief that the provider of that valued information deserves nothing in return.

It's the difference between actually taking a principled stand against something versus being a weasel, taking what you want, and using your "principles" to rationalize your own non-reciprocal (i.e., cheating) behavior.

Shrug, call me what you will. We're talking about a private enterprise in a capitalistic environment here, the idealism you're alluding to doesn't apply. What they deserve for goods and services they provide is what the market will bear.

Moze

Banned
bioshock always looked like shit to me

played like shit aswell tbh

loved the story and characters though

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Fuck, I've already bought the season pass on PS3. I knew I should have waited.

You've always seemed like a smart guy. If nothing else, I don't understand why you'd buy a season pass before the game is even out.

A reviewer can't list a ton of technical issues and then go on to claim that it doesn't affect the game. If it was important enough to mention then it is a distraction.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Now this is going to make everyone want to know what version is better PS3 or 360.
It's an Unreal Engine game. It's a good bet that it will be the 360.

Fuck. What about the PS3 version? It's not too late for me to switch my preorder.
They've been showing all three versions of their game when previewing the game for the enthusiast press.
So they aren't exactly afraid of showing that version. They should be commended for this in a time of deception by publishers.

Examples where deception was at play: Rockstar with Red Dead Redemption or Bethesda with Skyrim.

Andrew.

Banned
A reviewer can't list a ton of technical issues and then go on to claim that it doesn't affect the game. If it was important enough to mention then it is a distraction.

Or maybe they knew it would get our collective panties in a bunch so they said "fuck it"

You are remembering things wrong. No game on consoles looked as good as Bioshock when it was released. MAYBE COD4, maybe...but Bioshock looked a bit better imo.

Gears of War and Lost Planet looked quite a bit better from a technical standpoint. The art saved BioShock, nothing more.

And even if it was true, it was a short lived victory since the likes of Uncharted and Ratchet decimated it a couple of months later.

Vire

bioshock always looked like shit to me

played like shit aswell tbh

loved the story and characters though

Wah? :/

I remember being blown away when you first get into Rapture and the water starts leaking all over the place.

It will still look great, this really looks like a game worth experiencing so I hope these comments don't turn off people who only play on consoles.

Cels

Um, why is anyone surprised? These consoles are approaching the end of their life cycles. I expect the game to look good relative to the hardware the game is on, and I assume that will be the case here.

StuBurns

Banned
I'm not sure about how Bio 1 looked compared to it's peers at the time, but it had the best sound design I'd ever heard. I hope that same guy/gal is on this one.

Kariodude

Banned

I used eBay magic.

1. Buy AMD Never Settle bundle with Bioshock Infinite and Tomb Raider or Crysis 3 for $48
2. Redeem Never Settle code on AMD website
3. Receive confirmation and code for extra game
4. Sell Tomb Raider or Crysis 3 code on eBay for $30

Obviously the price for the Never Settle code and for selling the extra game may be different, but it's pretty damn cheap this way.

lantus

I don't care that much about texture detail. I'm more of an effects person to be honest, and I think infinite will succeed in that regard.

Im going to be getting the PS3 version this morning (in six hours or so). Yay, im so excited! I will share my thoughts on it as soon as i get it. Yay

Top Bottom