• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite IGN Review In Progress: A.K.A Console Owners Cry

RedAssedApe

Banned
Does review in progress mean there is no embargo on reviews?

And in terms of console vs. pc...as a console only player, I don't think I care about this. Just as long as it looks just as good as the other current end of gen titles I will be fine. Plus part of Bioshock's allure has always been the art style anyways and that looks great.

If you game on both console and PC, and have an appropriately powered PC, get the PC version. Problem solved.

nbthedude

My problem is that I've got the know-how to build my PC, and the money... I just don't have a place to put it. If I did end up building a gaming PC, it would be just that, a gaming PC; I'd leave it connected to my TV and I wouldn't use it for anything else. Right now, in my crowded apartment, it just can't happen (as much as I'd like it to). I know those "Steam boxes" are supposed to be coming out later this year, are there any other really small gaming-PC options out there?

Check the "I need a New PC" thread. The first post has a regularly updated buyer's guide. Including a guide for small form factored cases.

That would get you a better bang for your buck than a Steambox, anyway.

Vire

IGN is not fit to comment on this IMO. It will be a typical UE game at worst.

I dunno, Ryan McCaffrey didn't really call out low res textures in Halo 4, but he did in this.

That's worrisome, because Halo 4 looked downright bad at times.

Sober

The fact that you can't access it until you beat the game makes me think it's the latter and they're trying to sweep it under the rug to reduce the likelihood of it being noticed and scrutinized.
Oh, so it's baby 1999 mode which is actually like 2008-2013 mode where I can't go into the game blind on a tough as nails difficulty that I can possibly screw up with halfway through.

Because I really enjoyed System Shock 2 after it came out on GoG and didn't think it was all that hard to begin with (to be fair I played SS2 on normal) but I did go into it blind.

Ehhhhhhhh.

Bioshock:

CoD4:
COD4_Screenshots_Large3.jpg

This may be an unfair comparison until high end PC GAF comes here but the art direction helped Bioshock a ton.

I'm pretty sure I could dig up two screenshots where COD 4 looks worse, but whatever...my point is for what was out on consoles when Bioshock came out, it was really impressive looking.

Andrew.

Banned

Goddamn dude, what do you hug the walls and look at every, single individual item on the screen to see if it is to your standards?

Halo 4 looked fantastic. Im so glad I dont let shit like this get to me.

Muffdraul

I dunno, Ryan McCaffrey didn't really call out low res textures in Halo 4, but he did in this.

Bioshock Inifinite might look worse than the best looking 360 game to date. Fuck. =(

You are remembering things wrong. No game on consoles looked as good as Bioshock when it was released. MAYBE COD4, maybe...but Bioshock looked a bit better imo.

I'm pretty sure I could dig up two screenshots where COD 4 looks worse, but whatever...my point is for what was out on consoles when Bioshock came out, it was really impressive looking.

Definitely not. Gears of War was out when Bioshock was released, and the first Uncharted came out around the same time if I'm not mistaken.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Which seems like a bit of a lie, to me. If they're noticeable, then they take away from the experience...

Something that is noticeable when you look for it and something that is noticeable in the course of normal play are two different things and the former may not affect your experience at all. It's all about what has your attention.

Derrick01

Banned
1999 mode sounds like a check box to help sell the game on PC.

Really that's what these "hardcore" modes are. They're almost always tacked on and what they're basically doing is trying to make the most out of a game that was designed from the start to be a casual console title.

It's near impossible to make something deep out of nothing. It's a lot easier to do the opposite, yet very few try it that way.

Vire

Goddamn dude, what do you hug the walls and look at every, single individual item on the screen to see if it is to your standards?

It did look fantastic - for the most part.

Open expanse areas like the desert and skyboxes were pretty low-resolution though.

Halo Reach actually had higher resolution textures in the environment, it just didn't have other benefits that 4 did.

It's a tradeoff.

Also the Phantoms look really bad in comparison to the past games.

RedAssedApe

Banned

I think some people also sit way too close to their TVs. In the TV thread some people were talking about having 50inch TVs and sitting like 3-4 feet away lol

patapuf

The fact that you can't access it until you beat the game makes me think it's the latter and they're trying to sweep it under the rug to reduce the likelihood of it being noticed and scrutinized.

IIRC you can access it from the beginning but you have to make some inputs on the start screen to unlock it.

It's been established that there will be a code you can enter to access it on your first playthrough. The logic behind hiding it is so that the dudebros aren't frustrated as they would be if they unknowingly chose such a style of play they're not interested in or prepared for.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.

Bullshit. You have to use a secret code to unlock 1999 mode.

Var

Have this preordered on PS3 for trophies, but depending on how bad this is, I might have to cancel and reorder for PC.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
It's information that will also be available in the review proper. Should we have to click twice because they want to parcel out their impressions?

Nobody has to do anything. If you actually want a piece of information they have, then it's worth a click. I mean, it's literally a click. How is that an unreasonable transaction for anyone?

$5 for a 10 ft cable is how I game on my TV, though I prefer gaming on my monitor.
At least 35ft between the office room and the living room. I have to pick up my tower and drag it into the living room. I'd rather keep it where it's at.

It's literally no work at all.

HDMI cable ($5)
Xbox wireles receiver ($15-$20)

Done.
I already have both of these items and I've hooked up my PC to my Kuro before. Doesn't mean I care for it. I recognize which platform is going to give the best IQ, but consoles are just the easiest for me to deal with all around.

see5harp

That sounds like common sense. There isn't a single game running UE3 that wouldn't look and perform noticeably better on low/mid range PC's. I sorta hoped that 2k at least got it looking and performing as well as Gears of War 3 though.

Mesoian

I had set Bioshock Infinite's release date as my deadline for building my new gaming rig. It's now up, waiting, and ready to fly.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
At least 35ft between the office room and the living room. I have to pick up my tower and drag it into the living room. I'd rather keep it where it's at.

I already have both of these items and I've hooked up my PC to my Kuro before. Doesn't mean I care for it. I recognize which platform is going to give the best IQ, but consoles are just the easiest for me to deal with all around.

It seems like you care a lot about your picture and sound, so it's bizarre to me that you won't take one more step to maximize your experience.

Deadbeat

Banned
It's been established that there will be a code you can enter to access it on your first playthrough. The logic behind hiding it is so that the dudebros aren't frustrated as they would be if they unknowingly chose such a style of play they're not interested in or prepared for.
Which pretty much reinforces the idea that if they believe such a thing to be true, they wouldnt waste the effort in making a proper difficulty mode. It will be a bullet point, nothing more.
It seems like you care a lot about your picture and sound, so it's bizarre to me that you won't take one more step to maximize your experience.
Ive noticed an influx on gaf with people talking about how they have a powerful PC but they prefer playing games on consoles.

Nobody has to do anything. If you actually want a piece of information they have, then it's worth a click. I mean, it's literally a click. How is that an unreasonable transaction for anyone?

That's the sort of innocuous line of thinking that leads to 1-page articles spread out over 10 webpages. What's 8 more clicks?

Vire

Most of the time it's the regular preview shlock (you-know-what guzzling) without any real substance or value, just trying to get a click out of you and get that hot exclusive from a publisher.

You are right though. I'll give IGN credit this time in that they did call out some faults and provided something worth my time.

I'll edit the OP to reflect this.

Piggus

50" Pioneer Kuro Elite + big surround + comfortable couch = relaxing gaming to me.

Sure, I could hook up my PC to the same, but it's something that is far too much work for me.

It's worth the effort. I have my PC set up so that I can switch between monitor + kb/mouse + desktop speakers to TV + 360 controller + surround sound with a couple of clicks.

LiK

Can't even tell when I sitting on the couch. Will wait for DF analysis but I have the 360 preordered anyway.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.

Did he play the PC version of Halo 4 to compare? Low res means little and is to subjective a term.

A review in progress? What the fuck is that?

I'm going to go review movies like that. Oh I like this beginning part. Oh I think this guy is the villain I don't like him. Turns out he was just a jerk not the villain, oh wait that was a twist. Oh this fight is cool. Ending sucked.

8/10

Muffdraul

That's not automatically true.
God of War Ascension was released this week on PS3 that is looking quite good.
Gears of War Judgment is releasing this week on 360 and is looking quite good.

How does that contradict what I said? As far as I'm concerned, Bioshock 1 is still "looking quite good" today.

For my own part, I am far less concerned with the technical aspects of graphics technology, and far more concerned with the presentation. A game can technically have some low-res textures, but still use them to good effect. I don't expect Bioshock Infinite to have a bunch of glaringly shitty low-res textures right out in the open, but I do expect them to be used in sections where it's reasonable to assume not too many people are going to focus their attention. Just like any other console game.

A review in progress? What the fuck is that?

I'm going to go review movies like that. Oh I like this beginning part. Oh I think this guy is the villain I don't like him. Turns out he was just a jerk not the villain, oh wait that was a twist. Oh this fight is cool. Ending sucked.

8/10

When it comes to graphics though, it is what it is.

Top Bottom