• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite | Official Spoiler Thread |

Salamando

Maybe their timeline's Booker never repented for his sins as well as in ours. The Vox had a habit of scalping people, and that's not exactly common for revolutions. The Vox's actions weren't dissimilar from Booker's at Wounded Knee.

When you first meet Daisy, she is forceful and under pressure but not murderous.

When you meet her in the Booker-Martyr timeline, she's straight up killing children.

There's clearly a leap there that is not just "Oh she was always like that probably."

She murders for fairly limp justification in Mind in Revolt, and espouses violence in opposition to the moderates in Industrial Revolution. One of her early voxophones is:

The one thing people need to learn is that fear is the antidote to fear. I don’t want to be a part of their world. I don’t want to be a part of their culture, their politics, their people. The sun is setting on their world, and soon enough, all they gon’ see … is the dark.

It didn't seem like much of a leap to me.

Neiteio

Directly referenced by the "...anyone wearing glasses" line.
Oh, that's a nice touch. :)

When you first meet Daisy, she is forceful and under pressure but not murderous.

When you meet her in the Booker-Martyr timeline, she's straight up killing children.

There's clearly a leap there that is not just "Oh she was always like that probably."
No. In one case, she's strong-arming you into getting her weapons so she can lead her bloody revolution. In the other case, we see what happens when she -has- her weapons and is -leading- her revolution, and when she is backed into a corner --- willing to hurt anyone and do anything as a means to an end. The only variable between the timelines is whether she has the power to do ill; in one scenario she lacks the guns, and in the other scenario she has them. Which is precisely the point.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Maybe their timeline's Booker never repented for his sins as well as in ours. The Vox had a habit of scalping people, and that's not exactly common for revolutions. The Vox's actions weren't dissimilar from Booker's at Wounded Knee.

That's a bloody good point. I like this alot, it ties in nicely with the idea that "Columbia is a monument to Booker's sins".

Trigger

What's the old saying? Absolute power corrupts absolutely? I imagine Daisy in that timeline lacked someone to act as her moral compass, and she just fell down the slippery slope.

IronRinn

It has been so good to replay this game.

Elizabeth muttering "I guess it runs in the family," while staring at her bloody hands and the body of Fitzroy takes on a whole new meaning after knowing how it all turns out.

Cat Party

Finished the game late last night, haven't really had time to process it. Very dense. I'll scan through the thread later to see if my questions are discussed.

Interesting to see some people clearly upset about the Vox becoming villains. I liked it. Their methods swallowed their goals. This something we see happen regularly in our world. Saying the right things does not excuse doing the wrong things.

Neiteio

What's the old saying? Absolute power corrupts absolutely? I imagine Daisy in that timeline lacked someone to act as her moral compass, and she just fell down the slippery slope.
Daisy was already a proponent of brutal violence as a means to an end. It's just that in one timeline, she's forcing you to get her weapons under threat of death, and in another timeline, she already has them. The persecuted become the persecutors upon the acquisition of power.

-BLITZ-

Please forgive me if this has been posted already but I find this unbelievable

http://kotaku.com/this-crazy-bioshock-infinite-easter-egg-cant-be-real-464902193

Not just this, but I also did recognize immediately the ambient sound right after you start to fight with the police, guards for the first time in Infinite.
This one can be heard like the voice of a little sister telling "birddddyyyy" in Apollo Square or one of the lastest levels. I don't know if this was set intentionally as well.

----

Oh, not just those sounds, but even the one that kicks off when you drink Lot 192, each time when the plasmids change.
0:54:15 - 0:54:22 (plasmids changes) - 0:54:42 (birdddyy)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3UJgHUUNDA

Something tipped me off fairly early to the whole Elizabeth is DeWitt's daughter thing, though I can't recall what exactly; the rest of mindfuck at the end, I'm not really sure how I feel about it. I'm too fresh off it (beat it about 45 minutes ago) to go through the clearly very nice analysis in the OP, I don't have the mental bandwidth at the moment.

I still can't help feeling at least somewhat like the whole thing is just an exercise to see how many laps a game's narrative can take up its own ass before it stops being about anything at all, but maybe I'm just cranky from the lack of sleep :p

DarkKyo

Wow. I've been through the start of the game about 4-5 times so far and I just finally realized that the raffle host is Fink O_O

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Interesting to see some people clearly upset about the Vox becoming villains. I liked it. Their methods swallowed their goals. This something we see happen regularly in our world. Saying the right things does not excuse doing the wrong things.

I got no problems with the Vox being villains, just that they weren't fleshed out enough for my liking.

Neiteio

Wow. I've been through the start of the game about 4-5 times so far and I just finally realized that the raffle host is Fink O_O
Is he Fink? I found myself wondering that in retrospect. I haven't gotten to my second playthrough yet. There was a recording on the airship behind the stage at the Raffle Fair that suggested the ringleader was a proper character, one who could use black convicts for slave labor (which jives with what we see during the fly-in to Finktown), but since Fink's significance in the overall plot was not yet established, I might not have made the connection at the time.

Is he Fink? I found myself wondering that in retrospect. I haven't gotten to my second playthrough yet. There was a recording on his airship that suggested he was a proper character, but since Fink's significance in the overall plot was not yet established, I might not have made the connection at the time.

Yeah I didn't even realize it was Fink until much later. He just seemed like a regular showman.

Trigger

I'm pretty sure it is Fink. They look the same and there's a voxophone of Fink's in the area too. Fink doesn't become a prominent figure until hours later in the game, so it's a bit of an early bird cameo.

Neiteio

Yeah I didn't even realize it was Fink until much later. He just seemed like a regular showman.
So it's a different character model than the two showmen earlier in the fair? One was talking about vigors, and the other was talking about the Handyman. They were in the same plaza, and they had the same model, iirc.

Boulayman

Bioshock-Ending_zps0cd58225.jpg

From the first page. I just finished the game but I don't remember this image ?

Neiteio

Bioshock-Ending_zps0cd58225.jpg

From the first page. I just finished the game but I don't remember this image ?
That image is from the good ending of BioShock 1 where the Little Sisters you rescued (instead of harvesting) grow up into fine young ladies who are there with you on your death bed.

It parallels an image in Infinite -- namely, multiple Elizabeths putting their hands on you to send you off to death in a different way.

In retrospect, the binary choice of saving or harvesting in BioShock 1 and 2 can now be seen as alternate timelines, can't they? So they're -all- canon.

Cascascas.jpg

Jeremiah_Fink.jpg

Mjsl.png.jpg

So yeah the other showmen do have different models. They all blended together when I played. Of course, Bioshock 1 reused models like absolute crazy, so...

LiK

yea, Fink only showed up at the raffle location. the others were not him.

not to mention the Handymen are clearly made by "Bettermen". not Fink.

Neiteio

yea, Fink only showed up at the raffle location. the others were not him.

not to mention the Handymen is clearly mentioned they're made by "Betterman". not Fink.
Yeah, I remember the Betterman's Autobody ads released before the game came out. Very cool detail.

And thanks for the screens, Tummi Gummi -- that's definitely Fink. I guess that makes up somewhat for his short-lived appearance once you get to his factory!

pakkit

Banned
Have we discussed the dead Lady Liberty's you encounter in Emporia? Why are they dressed like that? Some times their eyes are glowing, like the Little Sisters. I don't get it...

You meet Fink several times throughout the game. You also see his dead brother Albert (the first of the citizens to exploit the tears) in Emporia.

Yeah, I remember the Betterman's Autobody ads released before the game came out. Very cool detail.

And thanks for the screens, Tummi Gummi -- that's definitely Fink. I guess that makes up somewhat for his short-lived appearance once you get to his factory!

The whole thing with Fink, his agent and the "audition" all seemed very underutilized to me. I strongly suspect there was a lot more to that stuff in earlier versions of the game.

Neiteio

Have we discussed the dead Lady Liberty's you encounter in Emporia? Why are they dressed like that? Some times their eyes are glowing, like the Little Sisters. I don't get it...
Aren't they Vox soldiers? "Bring me your poor, your huddled masses," etc? Would seem appropriate for the Vox to identify with Lady Liberty, much like how the Vox version of the Motorized Patriot is based on Lincoln, the Great Emancipator and president of choice for the Vox.

What I want to know is, what's up with the bull design of the Vox grenadier? Does that bull (the horned mask) represent something?

You meet Fink several times throughout the game. You also see his dead brother Albert (the first of the citizens to exploit the tears) in Emporia.
Can anyone list all of the appearances made by Fink? I'm curious if there are other places he appeared beyond the Raffle Fair and Finktown.

The whole thing with Fink, his agent and the "audition" all seemed very underutilized to me. I strongly suspect there was a lot more to that stuff in earlier versions of the game.
Yeah, I would've liked to see more Fink, but that speaks to how much I liked what we saw of him. (Don't get me wrong, he's a terrible human being for how he treats his workers, but he's still an interesting villain character.)

Guevara

I guess this is the quote I'm thinking of:

Elizabeth: In this world you were a martyr.

Booker: These folk need a better class of hero. When it comes down to it, the only difference between Comstock and Fitzroy is how you spell the name.

ezekial45

Banned
Oh yeah, who was that kid that was with Fink when Daisy confronted them? She held him hostage before Elizabeth stabbed her.

I assumed they'd make a thing out of that. That seems like something important.

BeerSnob

Yeah, I got a very strong Cohen/Fort Frolic vibe out out of it. It just seemed so similar that I wonder if there wasn't a a lot more to it that they cut out so that it didn't seem like a rehash.

ezekial45 said:
Oh yeah, who was that kid that was with Fink when Daisy confronted them? She held him hostage before Elizabeth stabbed her.

Fink's son I think. She went on about pulling them up by the "roots" and such, not just killing them.

Who are the Lady Liberties? The flying squad girls? I was wondering about the glowing masks too. I assumed the masks were part ceremonial (relating to Lady Comstock, sort of like the "Zealots of our Lady" enemies) and possibly contained some sort of protective goggles powered by something? I'm not really sure.

Neiteio

I guess this is the quote I'm thinking of:

Elizabeth: In this world you were a martyr.

Booker: These folk need a better class of hero. When it comes down to it, the only difference between Comstock and Fitzroy is how you spell the name.
Yep, and I recall Levine echoing this in an interview: Give power to the oppressed, and sometimes they become just as bad as their oppressors. In this case, Daisy doesn't have the guns to show her true colors, but we see them in the revolution timeline.

Regarding the kid Daisy was holding hostage, do you think he was Fink's boy?

Dresden

Think it was Fink's son. Daisy mentions needing to dig into the root, etc.

aett

-the lockpicks. At one point I had had 30 lockpicks (I guess it maxes out at 30), Elizabeth kept telling me to pick up the lockpicks on some desk, but I couldn't. Why are there so many if I can't use them? Why even have a maximum amount? Strange.

I had the same problem. Plus, it felt like during the middle third of the game, there were barely any non-plot locks, so I kept collecting the picks. Even though there were several locks in the last third, there were tons of picks around, so I had tons of picks left over.

Also, were there more than three Vox codes in the game? That's another part that felt half-baked. Kind of like how there was only one or two power generators that you could use Shock Jockey on that weren't plot-related.

I loved the game, but it just felt like there should have been so much more! I would love a Bioshock game that was in a slower-paced, non-shooter genre so that it would be possible to explore a larger world and find lots of optional stuff and secrets.

Neiteio

Part of me is curious to see a "director's cut" with some of the scrapped content, but a larger part of me says, "No, it works so well as is, don't fuck with it." But yeah, the world's so fascinating, I can't help but want to learn more about Fink's family, or the Vox Populi, or whatever.

Of course, the DLC could potentially shed more light on all of these subjects. The DLC is supposed to take the form of three mini-campaigns, correct?

MNC

Ah, my mistake. I thougt you were implying that the game didn't spend enough time drumming up sympathy for the Vox.

It's worth looking back at the very first video of the Vox takeover, where they had more obviously on-the-nose lines like

Also, in previews: http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2010/09/12/columbia-a-city-divided.aspx

The Vox were specifically hunting for Elizabeth to use her as an asset in their war. Remember that in earlier videos Columbia seemed to be in the midst of an election, and possibly there were actual decisions involving assisting one political faction over another? Finally, in the Industrial Revolution minigame there are newspaper clippings that show the Vox in the midst of an internal struggle between middle-class moderates and extremists (presuambly the more victimized underclass). So I assume it was an issue of time and changes to the overall structure of the game that left political factions like the Vox a bit underdeveloped in that sense.

That line is still in the game.

30 lockpicks?! Da heck!? Mustve been on normal difficulty cos i sure as hell did not have that problem in hard.

Part of me is curious to see a "director's cut" with some of the scrapped content, but a larger part of me says, "No, it works so well as is, don't fuck with it." But yeah, the world's so fascinating, I can't help but want to learn more about Fink's family, or the Vox Populi, or whatever.

Well Levine insists none of the DLC will be "cut content" because it was "cut for a reason". But then, they all say that :p

That line is still in the game.

Ah, cool. It seemed like they really cut back on some of the more explicit anarchist/communist aspects of the Vox.

Neiteio

Well Levine insists none of the DLC will be "cut content" because it was "cut for a reason". But then, they all say that :p
Ha, yeah. :) Well, way I see it, if they can repurpose some cut content, why not? I'm sure it was cut for a good reason originally, but some of it probably has cool design elements or whatever that would be worth reworking contextually for the DLC. Here's hoping we see lots of new stuff -- and learn lots of new stuff -- in the DLC campaigns.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
What I want to know is, what's up with the bull design of the Vox grenadier? Does that bull (the horned mask) represent something?

I did a little digging:

Charging Bull is a bronze statue near Wall Street (Occupy Movement?), there is The Bull Moose Party (not really a Bull but still...) which was a Progressive Party in 1912, and a Native American symbol representing beneficence, wealth and richness of life, potency, strength and courage in battle.

I got bored after that :p

Top Bottom