• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite | Official Spoiler Thread |

Guevara

I can't decide if I love the gear being randomized, or hate it. It would be cool if the type of gear corresponded to an in-game event (e.g. kill Fireman -> get fire related gear).

But I see how changing it up encourages trying different styles on subsequent playthroughs.

DatDude

Banned
Would anyone agree on this?

System Shock 2: Greatest Aspect was the rpg shooter Gameplay

Bioshock 1: Greatest Aspect was the atmosphere and world design (hub style) of Rapture

Bioshock Infinite: Greatest aspect was the Narrative.

To me, if Bioshock 1 didn't fall flat 3/4th of the way, it would probably win. But the fact that Infinite started off strong, lulled a bit in between, but managed to find it's momentum with an incredible ending tops it over Bio 1 for me.

I would say though if Bioshock 1 narrative problem was everything AFTER the twist, than I would say Infinite narrative problem is the things in between.

Still as a developer, who seemingly respects and listens to feedback (he acknowledged everything after Bio1 twist was bullcrap and acknowledged that the ending was poor and rushed) rather than ignore it (like some developers tend to do), I imagine that Infinite flaws will lead him a step closer in achieving the creation of a near "perfect game".

If there was ever a developer I would bet on, ever getting a 99 on metacritic, it would definitely be hands down Mr. Levine

so, how do you know when you played too much bioshock(and MG:Rising)? you have a dream where you are raiden and you are facing off against songbird to "rules of nature".

anyways, I beaten it last night and I loved the ending but I have a question. When booker confronted comstock, were they still in the vox dominated timeline? I thought comstock died in that timeline or was I mistaken?

dyergram

My just finished the game thoughts; totally called the ending although my freind did a good job of making me dout myself. I didn't like vigors as much as plasmids ie telekinesis is more satisfying than any vigor. I miss the horror elements of bs1 also two weapons at a time upset me and no spear gun boo. That first gameplay target video is depressing to watch now, all this aside I enjoyed the game very much I will buy the dlc and I started a new game straight away. Ps dat barber shop.

Trigger

so, how do you know when you played too much bioshock(and MG:Rising)? you have a dream where you are raiden and you are facing off against songbird to "rules of nature".

anyways, I beaten it last night and I loved the ending but I have a question. When booker confronted comstock, were they still in the vox dominated timeline? I thought comstock died in that timeline or was I mistaken?

You're mistaken. The Vox had Comstock on the run, but he wasn't dead yet. His scalp was the last one missing. I assume that's why his flaghship was on the run: to avoid the onslaught of the Vox.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
I think I need to load up the game and listen to the barber shop quartet. Seems to be a lot of people talking about it.

DatDude

Banned
My just finished the game thoughts; totally called the ending although my freind did a good job of making me dout myself. I didn't like vigors as much as plasmids ie telekinesis is more satisfying than any vigor. I miss the horror elements of bs1 also two weapons at a time upset me and no spear gun boo. That first gameplay target video is depressing to watch now, all this aside I enjoyed the game very much I will buy the dlc and I started a new game straight away. Ps dat barber shop.

it would've been rapture in the sky.

That's not a step forward imo.

Besides, the dark mood of rapture gets kind of depressing after a while. Blue skies are hard to get depressed over :p

Guevara

Bioshock 1: Greatest Aspect was the atmosphere and world design (hub style) of Rapture

To me, if Bioshock 1 didn't fall flat 3/4th of the way, it would probably win. But the fact that Infinite started off strong, lulled a bit in between, but managed to find it's momentum with an incredible ending tops it over Bio 1 for me.

I would say though if Bioshock 1 narrative problem was everything AFTER the twist, than I would say Infinite narrative problem is the things in between.

Still as a developer, who seemingly respects and listens to feedback (he acknowledged everything after Bio1 twist was bullcrap and acknowledged that the ending was poor and rushed) rather than ignore it (like some developers tend to do), I imagine that Infinite flaws will lead him a step closer in achieving the creation of a near "perfect game".

If there was ever a developer I would bet on, ever getting a 99 on metacritic, it would definitely be hands down Mr. Levine
One thing I preferred about B1 as compared to Infinite is that it felt like a real place. A big part of that, as you allude to, is being able to explore freely between story events. So you can go back to Arcadia to find audiologs and still run into splicers and others doing their own thing. There are always Big Daddies, and you can go back and follow them to get Little Sisters. I probably spend a good 10 hours before the endgame just finding stuff and exploring. It's a world that exists without you.

Columbia is so linear that at times it feels like an amusement park built specifically for you, and it therefore feels unreal. I realize you can't explore freely because of story logic and that makes sense, but it trades gameplay freedom for narrative.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
Did you know that Courtnee Draper Played a character called annabelle in Buffy the Vampire slayer show? MAYBE THAT'S WHY THAT LADY CALLED HER ANNABELLE!! probably not but kinda coo

Yeah I am with you on that breakdown.

Neiteio

What I want to know is... why anna? was there some hint that only she would be a rightful heir to Comstock or something like that? Why wouldn't Comstock get a baby from his own world?
Comstock was trying to bring about the future he glimpsed in the tear... A future where an old Elizabeth was destroying the "Sodom Below." To bring about that future, he needed Anna/Elizabeth. This is the reason he took her. To make things as he had foreseen them.

Guevara

What I really wanted was to be able to revisit areas after the Vox tear but prior to endgame.

Go back to Battleship Bay and instead of lounging daytrippers you run into the Vox, or the Founders, or better yet a skirmish between the Vox and the Founders.

Go back to the Order of the Ravens lodge and run into a Handyman or some Vox Patriots destroying the place.

Show the kind of post-war damage that occurred to the Market in the other areas, and make the exploration optional with the reward being optional backstory audiologs and small scenes.

I'm sure this would have been too difficult however.

One thing I preferred about B1 as compared to Infinite is that it felt like a real place. A big part of that, as you allude to, is being able to explore freely between story events. So you can go back to Arcadia to find audiologs and still run into splicers and others doing their own thing. There are always Big Daddies, and you can go back and follow them to get Little Sisters. I probably spend a good 10 hours before the endgame just finding stuff and exploring. It's a world that exists without you.

Columbia is so linear that at times it feels like an amusement park built specifically for you, and it therefore feels unreal. I realize you can't explore freely because of story logic and that makes sense, but it trades gameplay freedom for narrative.

Actually.. you can go back and explore old sections quite freely early on in the game. I want to say all the way up until Booker and Liz start jumping dimensions through the tears. And if you do go back, you occasionally do run into more enemies. I don't think it's quite as open as Bio1 is in that respect but it is there to an extent.

Neiteio

so, how do you know when you played too much bioshock(and MG:Rising)? you have a dream where you are raiden and you are facing off against songbird to "rules of nature."
Great, now I want crossover content between the two games like the stuff Valve and Capcom did for L4D2/RE6 PC.

Also, Raiden battling Songbird is a good visual representing my internal debate between which game is my GOTY... so far.

Speaking of Songbird, though... When Booker fell into Battleship Bay and Songbird followed, did the people on the beach not notice? No one remarks on a massive 60-foot bird monster plunging into the water after you wake up on the beach...

Neiteio

I did a little digging:

Charging Bull is a bronze statue near Wall Street (Occupy Movement?), there is The Bull Moose Party (not really a Bull but still...) which was a Progressive Party in 1912, and a Native American symbol representing beneficence, wealth and richness of life, potency, strength and courage in battle.

I got bored after that :p
Wow, nice! Thanks for sharing this. I wouldn't be surprised if one or more of these were the inspiration for the Vox grenadier.

Just bought the Ultimate Rapture edition of Bioshock 1 and 2. Can't wait to replay those two.
Is there any new included in this bundle?

Speaking of Songbird, though... When Booker fell into Battleship Bay and Songbird followed, did the people on the beach not notice? No one remarks on a massive 60-foot bird monster plunging into the water after you wake up on the beach...

Maybe some amount of time passed? Maybe people did freak out but you were out for a little bit, enough for people to chill out again? I was wondering why Elizabeth wasn't wet at all if she seemingly saved you.

Or its probably more of a gameplay conceit in line with the populace of Columbia not reacting to much of anything.

I really wish the game had some basic dialogue options or ways to initiate conversations with people. Nothing fancy, but especially with Columbia, compared to Rapture, you have a world that at least at the start isn't purely filled with hostiles. So it was kind of a disappointment that you can't really interact with anyone too much.

I would have loved to have been able to talk to Elizabeth or the Lutece twins or any number of other people. Would have given the non combat sections a little more to do and maybe could have cut down on the reliance of the voxophones for some of the exposition.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa

Id expect after hearing the song they made for songbird, everyone was probably scared s***less!

They likely saw the bird but didn't see Booker when he hit the water. The people of Columbia know about the Bird, as evidenced by the plushy toy of it. As a whole, the people of Columbia are told to just ignore the things they don't understand as it's all part of a greater plan and like most people who are extremely devout in belief about anything, they just accept it.

LiK

Songbird is well known and dishes out punishment. His posters and plushies are everywhere so they probably thought it was another criminal getting his ass kicked. People probably calmed down after a while. The society is pretty fucked up after all.

Is there any new included in this bundle?

BIOSHOCK 1
- full version of the game
- Plasmid Pack
- Challenge Rooms Pack
- Bonus Museum Level

BIOSHOCK 2
- full version of the game
- Sinclair Solutions Tester
- Rapture Metro
- Kill Em Kindly
- The Protector Trials
- Minervas Den

And I realised that I posted in the wrong thread.

Neiteio

Battleship Bay, in general, was a bit unsettling since the water goes out about 200 yards and then then plunges down into the clouds (where one NPC said the water is then collected and recycled via an elaborate system of pumps). I mean, what if you fell asleep on a raft...

And then there's the guy at the Raffle Fair who's watching the parade go by... while he sits on the railing with his feet dangling over the 15,000-foot drop.

Everyone's so easy-breezy about falling hazards. The spaces where the islands connect even politely say, "Mind the gap," lol.

QUIRKY.

FStop7

Banned
If only the Ultimate Songbird Edition included a plushie rather than a statue.

Still hoping that either Irrational licenses one or some creative person on Etsy starts making them.

BlisterBrown

Neo Member
There's a kinetoscope in the beginning that explains the songbird and mentions something like "A true patriot has nothing to fear from the songbird"

LiK

If only the Ultimate Songbird Edition included a plushie rather than a statue.

Still hoping that either Irrational licenses one or some creative person on Etsy starts making them.

I'm betting NECA will make some plushies like they did for Bioshock 1/2. Looking forward to it.

Bsigg12

I wanna know where the Comstock name came from. Why would Booker pick that name? I know that changing his name was probably his last step to being reborn, but is there a significance to the name?

And a nursery rhyme about it carrying away bad children IIRC.

Songbird is our friend.

Also, I don't think Songbird really did much other than fly around a lot and periodically check up on Liz until she breaks out. His sole purpose is to protect her from the outside, and I doubt Comstock would want to risk using him as an enforcer and thus being absent from his charge for a long period.

Trigger

Comstock was the name of some fanatical supporter of censorship in real life, but what significance it has to Booker is never explained.

I want a life-size replica of that 10-stories-tall gold Fink statue.

You think NECA will make that?

Sure, but first they have to make replicas of the Vigor bottles.

LiK

I read the Vigor replicas exist but were only given at a press event. Someone sold the Murder of Crows bottle for over a grand on eBay. Fucking press gets the good stuff.

FluxWaveZ

I liked the design of Vigor bottles and Booker's hands going crazy is always fun to watch, but it made me realize that there was something much more brutal about Plasmids that I appreciated. They made a bigger deal of the protagonist's "genetic code being rearranged" in BioShock 1 than in Infinite.

I feel as though Plasmids have a more permanent effect on one's body compared to Vigors, which almost seem temporary.

SmithnCo

I read the Vigor replicas exist but were only given at a press event. Someone sold the Murder of Crows bottle for over a grand on eBay. Fucking press gets the good stuff.

Was it just crow bottles or were there more replicas?

I'd actually buy replicas if they weren't so rare.

Does anyone have a theory on Slate's head?
Battle scars of some sort, I suppose? What's up with the knot, perhaps shrapnel? Just seems strange.

slate.jpg

SmithnCo

Does anyone have a theory on Slate's head?
Battle scars of some sort, I suppose? What's up with the knot, perhaps shrapnel? Just seems strange.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/images/13/apr/slate.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

Hm... Could it have been due to the Shock Jockey? Looks like what happens to your hands when you take it.

I wanna know where the Comstock name came from. Why would Booker pick that name? I know that changing his name was probably his last step to being reborn, but is there a significance to the name?

I think it's probably mostly an aesthetic thing. They just sound like cool turn-of-the-century names.

EDIT: To be clear that's not why booker chose it, that's why Irrational chose it.

Neiteio

OK, guys, this is the hardest decision you'll ever have to make.

What ONE vigor BOTTLE DESIGN do you esteem above all others?

Devil's Kiss, son.

Or maybe Murder of Crows.

Undertow is cool, too.

But Charge has dem horns.

FUCK.

FStop7

Banned
I was wondering if Slate's head had something to do with phrenology.

There is a phrenology study of Comstock being shown in the Fraternal Order of the Raven: They show a phrenology chart, then picture of Comstock's head, then pictures of the heads of several Indians.

I think what they were getting at was that they were doubting the racial purity of Comstock, especially given that Booker was in fact part Native American.

SmithnCo

OK, guys, this is the hardest decision you'll ever have to make.

What ONE vigor bottle do you esteem above all others?

Devil's Kiss, son.

Or maybe Murder of Crows.

Undertow is cool, too.

But Charge has dem horns.

FUCK.

Undertow. Most fun to use for me.

Top Bottom