• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite | Official Spoiler Thread |

Sorian

Banned
Dunno, but it's in the OP:

1364791201681_zps0c4f4b00.jpg

Looks like Booker's PI office?

Correct, its in one of the dream offices, can't remember which. It is important to note that it is not ALWAYS in the office, only on some occasions.

No, we're talking about constants and variables, just as our Booker ALWAYS at least attends the baptism. That's the 'rules' as the game presents it. Booker always gets stopped by the Songbird, old Liz says. Ours is the only one to free Liz from the siphon. Our Liz is the only one that sees all the doors and knows exactly what to do to stop Comstock. What are the others doing there?
You might have had this answered satisfactorily (I didn't read every page). Even if you look at it that way, after you destroy the siphon, there become infinite realities where Booker destroyed the siphon. Until that moment, there were no realities where you succeeded.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Reposting hoping someone can help:

So, am I wrong, or is the fate of the Bioshock 1 timeline still in question? Can we be certain that in that reality (realities?) Booker accepted the baptism, meaning it is now gone? Or is it possible that that reality exists in one where Booker does not accept the baptism?

Maybe I'm missing some key fact that answers this flat-out.

I don't think there is a definitive answer for this one yet(and possibly never will be). It may only exist in some time lines, it may exist in all of them

Korey

So, am I wrong, or is the fate of the Bioshock 1 timeline still in question? Can we be certain that in that reality (realities?) Booker accepted the baptism, meaning it is now gone? Or is it possible that that reality exists in one where Booker does not accept the baptism?

Why does Bioshock 1's timeline have any dependency on Booker's choice?

Sorian

Banned

All we can really gather is that only ONE permutation of the lighthouse, man, city trope appears per reality. With that being said, if Columbia is never made in a timeline then the door is open for Rapture or any of the other fantastical cities that live in Ken's head to appear.

Guri

I didn't start replaying yet, so a question for who did: the "song" you play at the lighthouse (beginning of the game) is the Songbird's one? After all, you see all those red lights in the sky and sounds of what appear to be him.

Espada

I don't know if this has been pointed out yet, but the preacher that baptises Booker into Comstock is the same one you meet when you first enter Columbia. He's just older and blind by the time our Booker arrives.

I just thought it was a nice touch on top of starting the game off with a baptism and ending it with one.

Sorian

Banned
I didn't start replaying yet, so a question for who did: the "song" you play at the lighthouse (beginning of the game) is the Songbird's one? After all, you see all those red lights in the sky and sounds of what appear to be him.

Hmm, don't know about the song but it has been speculated that the red lights and loud noises are to signal Columbia to automatically get into position for a visitor.

I don't know if this has been pointed out yet, but the preacher that baptises Booker into Comstock is the same one you meet when you first enter Columbia. He's just older and blind by the time our Booker arrives.

I just thought it was a nice touch on top of starting the game off with a baptism and ending it with one.

Has been pointed out, also supported by the fact that if you turn on subtitles, they both have the same name.

beastmode

All we can really gather is that only ONE permutation of the lighthouse, man, city trope appears per reality. With that being said, if Columbia is never made in a timeline then the door is open for Rapture or any of the other fantastical cities that live in Ken's head to appear.
Why's this?

There's one dialog exchange I missed from the E3 demo that wasn't in the real one, when the Zeppelin shows up and starts blowing shit up...

Booker: "If only I could get on that Zeppelin"
Elizabeth: "Up there!?"
Booker: "I didn't say I was looking forward to it!"

and then he runs off, "Don't worry, I'll be right back!" and he's launched himself on the skyrail, and the rockets are flying and making this awesome sound effect(all the sound effects in Bioshock Infinite are awesome) and shit is blowing up and Vox Populi dudes are falling through the air, and I'm thinking, "Holy shit, he's bout to ride up to that Zeppelin...this is that game!"

That was the moment the game sold me as something I had to play, even though I wasn't a huge fan of the original Bioshock

Espada

Has been pointed out, also supported by the fact that if you turn on subtitles, they both have the same name.

Ah, good to know. Man, replaying this game lets you notice a whole host of hidden things. Like the code you've given by the Luteces to open the bell door is 1-2-2. That's the number of Bookers before you.

Anyway, I hope we get a DLC campaign that covers that alternate reality's Vox Populi rebellion so you can run around with Slate and Fitzroy in that crazy scenario.

Zeliard

Vigors could be more advanced Plasmids from a universe where research continued.

And the Handyman took the concept of the irreversible man/machine melding of the Big Daddies.

Songbird is a bigger mystery because he's a technological tour-de-force on par with the city of Columbia itself, but in that case it also seems likely Fink got the idea for his conditioning towards Elizabeth from the Big Daddy/Little Sister relationship.

Sorian

Banned
Why's this?

Just speculation based on what and how Elizabeth presents the information to you. She goes out of the way to say that each lighthouse is its own reality and in each reality there is always a lighthouse, man, city, etc. It just heavily implies that only one fanastical city occurs in each lighthouse reality, no more, no less.

Andrew.

Banned
There's one dialog exchange I missed from the E3 demo that wasn't in the real one, when the Zeppelin shows up and starts blowing shit up...

and then he runs off, "Don't worry, I'll be right back!" and he's launched himself on the skyrail, and the rockets are flying and making this awesome sound effect(all the sound effects in Bioshock Infinite are awesome) and shit is blowing up and Vox Populi dudes are falling through the air, and I'm thinking, "Holy shit, he's bout to ride up to that Zeppelin...this is that game!"

That was the moment the game sold me as something I had to play, even though I wasn't a huge fan of the original Bioshock

I hear that. The actual zep takedown part was pretty good though, although I wished there were more dudes to sky nail on the wings.

sn00zer

Im starting to believe the door sequence at the end of every death is a new Booker who did everything the same up to that point where you died....

Sorian

Banned
Im starting to believe the door sequence at the end of every death is a new Booker who did everything the same up to that point where you died....

Correct. This also explains that Booker died during the first baptism scene and when songbird chokes you at battleship bay.

Sneds

Would anyone like to see a sequel to Infinite set in Columbia - what Bioshock 2 was to the original Bioshock? Would it be possible with Infinite's ending?

sn00zer

Correct. This also explains that Booker died during the first baptism scene and when songbird chokes you at battleship bay.

DId the priest kill him in that opening scene? if so...why? I didnt understand that scene at all.
EDIT: Are we to assume that if he was killed, that the Booker after that scene refused the baptism again

DBL EDIT: I just realized why the twins dont talk to you in the beginning, they are tired of bringin Bookers through, hence why they shrug off his questions, because he always asks them

Sorian

Banned
Would anyone like to see a sequel to Infinite set in Columbia - what Bioshock 2 was to the original Bioshock? Would it be possible with Infinite's ending?

That would be a terrible idea and I am willing to bet my life that Levine would refuse to write that if asked.

DId the priest kill him in that opening scene? if so...why? I didnt understand that scene at all.

I believe the priest did kill him in that scene. It makes sense in retrospect. Why would Columbia allow "the sodom below" to enter their city? Columbia is under the impression that it is an ark that will drown the rest of the world in fire, what is the big deal of killing one person who comes up to the city.

Edit: And for your edit, I think we are just to assume that the next Booker happened to get up to Columbia at a time where the priest was not having a sermon. Little variables like that are allowed in the granscheme of the game without interfering with the overall progression of our Booker.

SmithnCo

No. Especially when we've got DLC coming to flesh it out as much as necessary. That would be a good enough sendoff for Columbia.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

Same. I wasn't a fan of the actual Zepplin part in game due to the skyrail just...going right to it after bending around a building, I faced no resistance getting up there. Having freight and stuff coming at you forcing an exchange of rails looked thrilling as well. The idea still has so much potential the game didn't tap into.

Korey

That would be a terrible idea and I am willing to bet my life that Levine would refuse to write that if asked.

I believe the priest did kill him in that scene. It makes sense in retrospect. Why would Columbia allow "the sodom below" to enter their city? Columbia is under the impression that it is an ark that will drown the rest of the world in fire, what is the big deal of killing one person who comes up to the city.

Edit: And for your edit, I think we are just to assume that the next Booker happened to get up to Columbia at a time where the priest was not having a sermon. Little variables like that are allowed in the granscheme of the game without interfering with the overall progression of our Booker.

Uhhhhhhh what?

How did he get inside then?

The NPC right after you wake up says something like "He fills our lungs with water so that we appreciate air more" or something like that.

He passed out, not died. I have no idea how you came to that conclusion.

Sorian

Banned
Same. I wasn't a fan of the actual Zepplin part in game due to the skyrail just...going right to it after bending around a building, I faced no resistance getting up there. Having freight and stuff coming at you forcing an exchange of rails looked thrilling as well. The idea still has so much potential the game didn't tap into.

I never felt like I was forced to knock a guy off of the skyrail into the abyss (I don't actually think I ever did). That's kind of a shame to me.

Espada

EDIT: Are we to assume that if he was killed, that the Booker after that scene refused the baptism again

DBL EDIT: I just realized why the twins dont talk to you in the beginning, they are tired of bringin Bookers through, hence why they shrug off his questions, because he always asks them

That's a good question, though we get that black & white office scene when Booker dies. So it's possible. Still, it ties in with the ending, since Booker is drowned by preacher Witting in all timelines where he accepts the baptism.

Wow! Amazing work in the creation of this thread. However, the questions are always constant, the answers are always variable. I expect the loop of questions to continue in this thread :p.

There is always a man, a lighthouse, a city. I'm placing the emphasis on the singular for a reason; Rapture can only exist in timelines where Booker rejects anyway. In the ending, Booker must always reject.

I liked the Sniper/bridge fight right before it, but yeah, it didn't seem as imposing and satisfying in the real deal. Zeppelin shows up, you ride straight up to it with no deviations or challenges along the way, wham bam thank you ma'am. Cool, but not as involved as the demo.

Sorian

Banned
Uhhhhhhh what?

How did he get inside then?

The NPC right after you wake up says something like "He fills our lungs with water so that we appreciate air more" or something like that.

He passed out, not died. I have no idea how you came to that conclusion.

Plenty of people have come to that conclusion and I, personally, did because every office scene is a mark of Booker dying. He got inside because the next Booker didn't have the priest guarding the way, as I said in my post.

Salamando

While they're practicing a rather distorted version of Christianity, the religion itself is big into redemption. If the guy was willing to baptize the mass murderer of Wounded Knee, would a heathen from down below be that far fetched? And after you wake up, Booker mentions something about "that priest needing to learn to not hold people down so long" or something.

Korey

Plenty of people have come to that conclusion and I, personally, did because every office scene is a mark of Booker dying. He got inside because the next Booker didn't have the priest guarding the way, as I said in my post.

You haven't explained why you think every office scene is a mark of Booker dying.

Witting:

chiefly dialect : knowledge or awareness of something : cognizance. 2. chiefly dialect : information obtained or communicated : news ...

Is there famous Witting's by any chance?

Sorian

Banned
While they're practicing a rather distorted version of Christianity, the religion itself is big into redemption. If the guy was willing to baptize the mass murderer of Wounded Knee, would a heathen from down below be that far fetched? And after you wake up, Booker mentions something about "that priest needing to learn to not hold people down so long" or something.

At that time in Columbia's history? Yeah, forgiving any of the sodom would be far fetched. They would start the apocolypse right then if they could to cleanse the world of its sins.

I do remember Booker mentioning that and I believe that is just bleed over from memories of our last Booker to the new one.

Andrew.

Banned
The whole thing with Chrono Trigger starting in a fair and then Chrono Cross involving multi dimensions and travel and changing events throughout needs to be mentioned again.

Sneds

Did Levine write Bioshock 2?

No. Especially when we've got DLC coming to flesh it out as much as necessary. That would be a good enough sendoff for Columbia.

I agree actually.

It'll be interesting to see in what direction the DLC goes, especially as the Booker-Elizabeth relationship is so strong in BI. I assume that the DLC won't have that.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Reposting my first timeline (which I intend to improve over the weekend), yellow recoloured to green by zkylon, making my unreadable nonsense...readable.

Focus of my timeline is perspective. Different colour = different universe/timeline.

ib0yuNUJ2TjPyO.PNG

At that time in Columbia's history? Yeah, forgiving any of the sodom would be far fetched. They would start the apocolypse right then if they could to cleanse the world of its sins.

I do remember Booker mentioning that and I believe that is just bleed over from memories of our last Booker to the new one.

Hmm, I can't say I agree. The entire point of the baptism to Comstock is that all of your sins up to that point are erased, that your past is irrelevant and all that matters is what you do from then on. As a result I wouldn't think it's too unbelievable for somebody from 'the sodom below' to be accepted into Columbia and 'reborn' as a citizen of Columbia.

I don't really see how the bolded works though. If there was a memory bleed over, the new Booker would be entering the same universe as the one where Booker died which would result in cognitive dissonance and nose bleeds, wouldn't it?

EDIT: Also, seeing it posted above, I definitely think EatChildren's timeline should be in the opening post since it's the easiest way to visualise the paradox.

Salamando

That's debatable. A man who was a priest before Comstock would still be fairly shepard-ly and welcoming of new sheep to his flock.

Rewatched the video, Booker also coughed up some water when he woke up. Only way the "he snuck by while there was no priest" thing works is if he tripped, fell, and accidentally drowned himself a little.

zkylon

zkylewd
She was a pathetic character and very unimportant in the grand scheme of things.
lol I meant fitzpatrick.

I was referring to the video of fitzpatrick playing the piano and that apparently you can hear songbird dying in the background :p

Dodecagon

works for a research lab making 6 figures
The game that keeps on giving
to my post count

I just lurk and shake my head at science posts. Though levine definitely layed out an incredibly well thought out set of laws that govern the bioshock universe ehh... multiverse. I'm glad folks in this thread, like you, have taken the time to help everyone appreciate how much the story has to give. Such a intricatly woven puzzle, can't wait for playthrough 2.

Korey

So he got in because there wasn't a priest guarding the way...

...and woke up choking in water, and then a guy immediately comes up to you and says "the priest fills your lungs with water so you may better love the air"?

Bregor

That's debatable. A man who was a priest before Comstock would still be fairly shepard-ly and welcoming of new sheep to his flock.

Rewatched the video, Booker also coughed up some water when he woke up. Only way the "he snuck by while there was no priest" thing works is if he tripped, fell, and accidentally drowned himself a little.

He also makes a remark about the baptism.

Yeah, he doesn't make it into the city without experiencing the baptism, and IMO there is zero evidence that he dies.

Edit:

Booker: That idiot priest needs to learn the difference between baptising a man and drowning one.

Top Bottom