• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite | Official Spoiler Thread |

Neiteio

Loved this game. About to jump in for the second play-through now--hopefully I'll be able to understand it better; I'm still confused on some things even after reading this thread.

Speaking of this great game, anyone notice the typo in the plot synopsis on the back cover?
*looks at the back of his digital copy*

...WHOA.

That typo looks like my hand.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";52312500]Imagine three balls at the edge of a cliff.[/QUOTE]

This game pretty much Zybourne Clock: holy fuck a legendary developer took it seriously and turned it into a AAA title.

Whoever this Constance Vareebles girl is, she seems to be a pretty swinging gal. She must tear through parties like its Rapture.

Vitet

Do some people actually think the Rapture part is before Jack got there? I mean, I guess I just assumed it was during the course of Bioshock 1 but thinking on it now, I had no real evidence.

I think you can go through the first parts of Bioshock 1 (when going to the batisphere) and the wrench isn't in the floor in Infinite, so Jack already got it.

Sorian

Banned
I don't hear the songbird screams and I'm getting depressed after watching fitzroy pathetically die over and over again T_T

She was a pathetic character and very unimportant in the grand scheme of things.

I think you can go through the first parts of Bioshock 1 (when going to the batisphere) and the wrench isn't in the floor in Infinite, so Jack already got it.

Ah, that's right! I did have evidence then, nevermind.

Salamando

Actually, the coin flip might only be a constant because the Booker who flipped the coin was always the same. A coin flip's randomness largely stems from the flipper. A mechanical device set up to flip a coin the same exact way will yield highly predictable results. In theory, two Bookers on different timelines with the exact same experiences could flip the coin identically, resulting in identical outcomes.

The twists in Infinite actually makes sense, though, while never losing sight of the intimate tale of redemption it's telling. It's gracefully executed, with crisp editing, tasteful restraint, and not a single moment feeling bloated.

Kojima, meanwhile... Well... One word: "Drebin." The semi-regular PowerPoint presentations in MGS4 were borderline maddening.

And I say this as someone who teared up during the Big Boss scene at the end of MGS4. (After his PowerPoint presentations, I mean.)

With Kojima, it feels like he makes up shit as he goes along, and occasionally says something profound or paints an interesting picture. With Levine and Infinite, it's one carefully crafted clockwork construct that works backwards and forwards and inside and out, from start to finish.

They're not even comparable.

Compare MGS3, his best work, to BI, then what happens?

Neiteio

Sorian said:
Really really. I read that LTTP beginning to end and laughed my ass off the entire way through. It is a thing of beauty lol
I was lurking at the time you were playing it, it was a fun journey waiting for you to post
Awesome! The whole 999 experience was a ton of fun, not the least of which was turning to you guys every time my mind was blown, lol. :)

That Vox Populi story arc ended up being pretty truncated, huh

edit: Kojima will do 20 mins of bullshit, and then crank out gold like, "This is good...isn't it?" that makes you say, "Ok, WHY DID YOU HIDE THAT BEHIND 20 MINS OF DEAD AIR"

Sorian

Banned
Actually, the coin flip might only be a constant because the Booker who flipped the coin was always the same. A coin flip's randomness largely stems from the flipper. A mechanical device set up to flip a coin the same exact way will yield highly predictable results. In theory, two Bookers on different timelines with the exact same experiences could flip the coin identically, resulting in identical outcomes.

Tis a good point. I bet every Comstock would have flipped a tails right there.

There are some things that come across as a little forced/quick that could have been fixed with like, one audiolog. What the hell was that kid even doing in Fink's office? If they had mentioned Fink having a son or something, it would have made all the difference.

Likewise, Booker says that the Vox are no better than the Founders before seeing them wasting civilians and whatnot. Just feels out of order, since before that point the Vox seemed pretty damn justified.

Replaying this game puts Elizabeth's change in demeanor in really stark contrast... she seems like a totally different person by the end of the game, but it's done really naturally.

edit: Kojima will do 20 mins of bullshit, and then crank out gold like, "This is good...isn't it?" that makes you say, "Ok, WHY DID YOU HIDE THAT BEHIND 20 MINS OF DEAD AIR"

Yeah I thought maybe Fitzroy would have more to contribute but her final moments were pretty great.

Korey

Why didn't the Vox Populi just parachute down to the real world, or take one of their ships down and leave the place?

Story-wise it really is the only part of Infinite I genuinely feel is unpolished. I get the point that 'HEY REVOLUTIONISTS CAN ALSO BE HYPOCRITICALLY VIOLENT AND ANGRY', but you go from oppressed people to blood-hungry child murderers so quickly that message feels really cheap and superficial. Wondering if originally that was much more of what the overarching plot was about, and less the afterthought it feels like in the final product.

The 'devil' Abraham Lincoln animatronics they re-purposed into motorized patriots was fucking hilarious though.

Why didn't the Vox Populi just parachute down to the real world, or take one of their ships down and leave the place?
Early 1900's America was just as disgustingly racist in some parts? Plus you no longer get bragging rights that you were a FINK MAN or that you lived on a magical floating city.

Sblargh

Banned
Yeah I thought maybe Fitzroy would have more to contribute but her final moments were pretty great.

I loved the whole sthick about shooting Fink in the head and putting his blood on her face. Heck, I wish she'd survived through the revolution. Damn Elizabeth, it was just a kid and it isn't like some other Vox probably didn't kill him anyway.

I want a DLC where we let her shoot the kid, Booker explain the whole space-time thing and we go the latter half of the game without fighting the Vox.

I think the technology for going up or down to the land is less simples than moving through the floating islands? Doesn't seem like leaving is a choice. Also, lighthouse, if they parachute down, they'll probably end up on the middle of the ocean.

Sorian

Banned
Likewise, Booker says that the Vox are no better than the Founders before seeing them wasting civilians and whatnot. Just feels out of order, since before that point the Vox seemed pretty damn justified.

I think Booker is just used to people in power/wanting power. He has already learned the life lesson that power corrupts, so he didn't need to see that the Vox went down a bad road to know that they would.

Zeliard

Replaying this game puts Elizabeth's change in demeanor in really stark contrast... she seems like a totally different person by the end of the game, but it's done really naturally.

I thought so as well. By the end of the game she is basically all-powerful but it seems like the natural end result. Could have easily been done in a jarring fashion.

Sorian

Banned
Okay guys, who would you wife:

Fitzroy or Elizabeth?

Or Rosalind?

Marry Elizabeth

Bone Rosalind

Toss Fitzroy off of Columbia

Reasons being: Elizabeth is both gorgeous and a great person, experience tells me that the scientific eccentric types are great in the sack, Fitzroy is the most annoying person I have ever seen.

Zeliard

If Rosalind Lutece ever shows up in a Bioshock movie, she's gotta be played by Tilda Swinton. Kept reminding me of her.

I dunno, felt just right to me. Establishes the whole "alternate outcome" concept quite vividly.

Only thing I lament is them not using the bit from the E3 2011 demo with the film of a face projected onto the red banners draped across the buildings.

Seeing red-and-black movie footage -- rather than black-and-white -- was SO CREEPY and SO COOL.

That speech is still in there, although yeah it doesn't have the same effect walking through the red covered area

Also the voice actor/character design is totally different, lol

edit: There's a projection on a blimp, but it's a static black and white image

Neiteio

Don't you still see that projection on a blimp when you get back to the slums from raiding the police station?
I can't remember, was the projection on a red banner on the blimp? I only caught a glimpse of the blimp at the last second before it took off for the factory.

Zeliard

That speech is still in there, although yeah it doesn't have the same effect walking through the red covered area

Also the voice actor/character design is totally different, lol

I liked Stephen "Garrett" Russell better as Booker, tbh, judging from the earlier Infinite clips. Sounded older, more gravelly, more appropriately somber, more fatherly in a way.

SmithnCo

Marry Elizabeth

Bone Rosalind

Toss Fitzroy off of Columbia

Reasons being: Elizabeth is both gorgeous and a great person, experience tells me that the scientific eccentric types are great in the sack, Fitzroy is the most annoying person I have ever seen.

But what happens when Rosalind's twin shows up during the act? And they both start making cryptic comments?

nomis

Columbia, post-baptism Booker (of either branch), and "Elizabeth" simply don't exist. In the Bioshock universes, they've technically never existed, as those timelines are all gone. But their actions ultimately did very much matter, because without the 123 or whatnot Bookers before you, and then finally you and an unshackled Elizabeth, then nothing actually changes and Comstock destroys most of civilization.

You-Just-Dont-Exist-Scott-Pilgrim-Lucas-Lee-poster.jpg

Sorian

Banned

Emarv

Reposting hoping someone can help:

So, am I wrong, or is the fate of the Bioshock 1 timeline still in question? Can we be certain that in that reality (realities?) Booker accepted the baptism, meaning it is now gone? Or is it possible that that reality exists in one where Booker does not accept the baptism?

Maybe I'm missing some key fact that answers this flat-out.

Top Bottom