• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite | Official Spoiler Thread |

Onyar

What if actually there is a way to have an alternative ending but is hidded by programers to check if we lose the hope?

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
The only real mystery left is what they'll do with the DLC if it's more than combat arenas.

They could take it in a few interesting directions, though I am ultimately curious to see what happens either way.

A different character in columbia would work...but considering the ending is basically saying columbia never existed, it would be odd for them to flesh the world out. But I can't imagine playing booker in a normal world would even capsulate the gameplay of Infinite very well.

The only material disappointment I have with this game is the lack of Songbird. I'm fine with it being a weird, unexplained entity in the world, but it never really felt like The Bird was pursuing you. The best moment was the bit we all saw back in 2011, which is a shame.
But everything Songbird related in the 2011 demo was in the final game?

They could take it in a few interesting directions, though I am ultimately curious to see what happens either way.

A different character in columbia would work...but consdering the ending is basically saying columbia never existed, it would be odd for them to flesh the world out. But I can't imagine playing booker in a normal world would even capsulate the gameplay of Infinite very well.

Simultaneous events ala Half Life: Opposing Force. You play as a different character as the plot is taking place.

My Favorite Part of the game was when you see Liz's Menarche Napkin with the disappearing and reappearing stain. I had to use Google to reconfirm what i was looking at. Then i shook my head

I would love too. Someone in the last spoiler thread gave a really well thought out breakdown if someone could help me find that it would be really helpful.

Comstock justifies his past actions, and glorifies them, therefore continuing this charade when building Columbia.

Booker regrets his actions, and feels sorry for any type of foreigner after Wounded Knee.

ultron87

In the Old Elizabeth time line it sounds like Booker never even showed up to prevent the operation. Why was this? Before you get sent to the future you are still on the path to save her, and her advice for controlling Songbird doesn't come in handy until much later.

My working theory is that Old Elizabeth actually created her own time line when she snatched Booker to the future since it sounds like he up and vanished in her time line. She then sends him back with the note and creates a new branch. But there might be something in the game that refutes this.

Zeliard

The only material disappointment I have with this game is the lack of Songbird. I'm fine with it being a weird, unexplained entity in the world, but it never really felt like he was pursuing you.

Yeah there were extended stretches of time where I actually forgot that he existed. He should ideally have been a bigger presence throughout the game. Probably too resource-intensive at the end of the day.

A different character in columbia would work...but consdering the ending is basically saying columbia never existed, it would be odd for them to flesh the world out. But I can't imagine playing booker in a normal world would even capsulate the gameplay of Infinite very well.

I imagine it would have to be a prequel of sorts, or maybe a side story that takes place during a portion of Booker's journey through Columbia, as seen from another perspective.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
But everything Songbird related in the 2011 demo was in the final game?

that's what I mean. The best Songbird bit was the (at the time) shocking moment when it stops and listens to Elizabeth as she pleads with it, and, well, we all knew it was coming. It was also about as far as they ever went with the Songbird characterisation.

In the Old Elizabeth time line it sounds like Booker never even showed up to prevent the operation. Why was this? Before you get sent to the future you are still on the path to save her, and her advice for controlling Songbird doesn't come in handy until much later.

My working theory is that Old Elizabeth actually created her own time line when she snatched Booker to the future since it sounds like he up and vanished in her time line. She then sends him back with the note and creates a new branch. But there might be something in the game that refutes this.

Songbird killed him on the bridge.

The baptism at the church in the beginning is the same as the two other baptism events just in different worlds or are these different events?

Why is Comstock infertile but Booker isnt? Variables?

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
The baptism at the church in the beginning is the same as the two other baptism events just in different worlds or are these different events?

The tear machine apparently produces radiation or an effect similar to it, resulting in sterility, premature aging, and tumors.

The baptism in the beginning is just a way to 'welcome' new people into Columbia, as you have to be 'washed of your sin' to get in.

that's what I mean. The best Songbird bit was the (at the time) shocking moment when it stops and listens to Elizabeth as she pleads with it, and, well, we all knew it was coming. It was also about as far as they ever went with the Songbird characterisation.
Sorry then, misread your original message and thought you were annoyed that it *wasn't* in the final game.

SmithnCo

Different events, Comstock is infertile because of Letuce's experiments.

Zeliard

Different events, same preacher

Comstock messed around with Lutece's tears, which rendered him infertile and aged him considerably in the process. He is actually the exact same age (chronologically) as the Booker you play.

Scrabble

Should have went on media blackout. The only thing I saw was the announcement trailer and the very first gameplay demo they showed back in 2010. Believe me I was very surprised when the action picked up so quick and I was wondering when it would slow down, and then it hit me, "oh this is actually a full blown shooter."

sn00zer

Booker is not not racist....its up to the player to decide if he is....outcome is the same, but the only indication of whether or not he agrees with all of it comes down to who you throw the ball out...he never comments on the unfairness of living condition, Elizabeth does....he might not be so outward and blatant as Comstock, but I wouldnt say there is any indication that he is not racist as well

EDIT: Songbird tune ringtone...someone get on that.....

Sorian

Banned
Good question, because Booker was viewing the attack on New York THREW a tear that she opened. Where was she when she opened this tear? Certainly not in Columbia, because you can see it.

It is always possible that in 70 years Columbia became a much bigger entity. Multiple islands perhaps? The only reason I have to believe that they are definitely in Columbia is because when she brings you into the future through a tear, she drops you at Comstock house (on the bridge), there was no more tear traveling in between that scene and the Old Liz scene.

Does anyone have an interpretation of Comstock house? I was quite confused by the strange symbology of that area, and especially some of the signs such as "This is Where We Sleep"

Zeliard

Booker is not not racist....its up to the player to decide if he is....outcome is the same, but the only indication of whether or not he agrees with all of it comes down to who you throw the ball out...he never comments on the unfairness of living condition, Elizabeth does....he might not be so outward and blatant as Comstock, but I wouldnt say there is any indication that he is not racist as well

At one point Elizabeth asks Booker why the bathrooms are segregated, and Booker responds with something like "that's just how it is." It was a fairly neutral statement though he didn't sound particularly thrilled about it. I'm gonna say the man's probably not a progressive, however. :p

Sorian

Banned
Does anyone have an interpretation of Comstock house? I was quite confused by the strange symbology of that area, and especially some of the signs such as "This is Where We Sleep"

You are in 1984 during all of the Comstock house section. I assume the city just degenerates over 70 years much in the same way that Rapture did and Comstock house was the "asylum" of sorts.

Haunted

Should have went on media blackout. The only thing I saw was the announcement trailer and the very first gameplay demo they showed back in 2010. Believe me I was very surprised when the action picked up so quick and I was wondering when it would slow down, and then it hit me, "oh this is actually a full blown shooter."
when media blackouts go wrong

Metroidvania

There is at least one specific instance in which Booker shows his not being a racist.

On the boardwalk before going to the Hall of heroes to get the Shock Jockey, Booker encounters a black man smoking a cigarette.

When the man splutters upon being spotted and tries to make an excuse, Booker interrupts him with an "it's okay, I ain't no gendarme'. I looked gendarme up, and it appears to be french for a policeman.

He also recognizes the 'terrible' actions that he took as being not forgivable, recognizing that what he did was wrong. At the very least, that's evidence to support his changed behavior since Wounded Knee.

edit: I misread slightly, but yes, it is true that you have an effect on how racist he appears. Out of curiosity, what does he say when you choose to throw the ball at the couple? If you throw it at Fink, he mutters something about "I got your ball right here" or something to that nature.

Neiteio

Speaking of Comstock House, my favorite place in the game... I'll take this opportunity to share some screens I took there. I especially love the last one with the Boy of Silence.

Drag and drop to your URL for 1600x900:

A68493156D9C1EE5BDA15F69362DAB8DA0CD20F7

75E0C384E9EAD246AF87B99100C2601B2007D41E

38B24DCB2B14A3ADAF28AF259699107EEBABDA9D

3425A8E928133EF1431E4DB14A76AD063860997D

F3E5362EF96C34793F4DFF591B694D731436B0ED

4B128FFA6D3C895D016B62C569573E1482B7869B

57EBE26E3FF7B0702A243279F4A07342F8E827E8

pakkit

Banned
dear god, that OP

this games plot epitomizes 'going off the deep end'. i'm surprised that people are reacting positively to it. kojima would be crucified for writing something like this

You're kidding, right?

Really hoping we encounter more Boys of Silence in the DLC. Their stay was too short, and I appreciated that they introduced an optional stealth element to the game.

I just wanted to say that I hope that this game is in some small part a "fuck you" to BioWare and their unending stream of hamfisted "choices" in their games like "Will you mass murder these people or erect 10,000 homeless shelters?!"

DatDude

Banned
I would love to. Someone in the last spoiler thread gave a really well thought out breakdown if someone could help me find that it would be really helpful.

Here ya go :)

Booker's racism comes from the earlier Indian War, and the allegations made to Comstock/Booker in one Comstock's voxophones indicate that he was accused of being part Indian. To prove himself, he butchered, scalped, and burned teepees with people inside them.

The guilt which he felt afterwards led him to the baptism event, but with it, Comstock, feeling that he is given free forgiveness by a greater power than himself, without putting any real effort into being a better person, continues his racist progression because he justifies his work as being led by divine purpose.

Meanwhile Booker, feeling regret but unable to go through with the baptism due to not believing in such forgiveness for his heinous actions, slowly comes to terms with what he did, or at least tries to via marrying his wife and having Anna, but after losing his wife, his despair builds up into large debts due to alcohol and gambling.

"To tax the black more than the white, is that not cruel? To forbid the mixing of the races, is that not cruel? To give the vote to the white man, and deny it to the yellow, the black, the red-- is that not cruel? Hm. But is it not cruel to banish your children from a perfect garden? Or drown your flock under an ocean of water? Cruelty can be instructive, and what is Columbia, if not the schoolhouse of the Lord?"

- Zachary Hale Comstock, December the 18th, 1899

Also this is a really nice thematic overview of Bioshock Infinite (posted by andrew in this thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=533001&highlight= )

http://peripsuche.blogspot.co.uk/2013/03/bioshock-infinite-thematic-analysis.html

could show some use in a potential symbolic/themes section if you ever decided to make one.

Arnie

Thanks to everyone in this thread for clearing a lot of things up. It's such an excellent story.

I will say that the songbird being in Bioshock 1 is #TeamCG levels of insanity, though. I've listened to all the videos with headphones and the sound effect is either not there, or so quiet it's just coincidence. It's not an obvious paradigmatic device.

Precisely, he just wanted his own flesh and blood so he took Booker's child. He may have known that she would have powers based on what he saw through a tear, it may be a "constant" that she always loses her finger, or it may have been a fluke. At the end of the day, Comstock just wanted her because she was his child.

Losing the finger is what gave her the powers. It is a constant.

Sorian

Banned
Thanks to everyone in this thread for clearing a lot of things up. It's such an excellent story.

I will say that the songbird being in Bioshock 1 is #TeamCG levels of insanity, though. I've listened to all the videos with headphones and the sound effect is either not there, or so quiet it's just coincidence. It's not an obvious paradigmatic device.

I haven't listened to the sound yet but it must have been Songbird in Bioshock 1! Fucking Levine, crazier than Kojima.

Korey

If you guys think about it, "constants and variables" doesn't make sense, even in the scope of the game.

For example, is the baptism a constant? Why is it a constant? Do we just assume it's a constant? Constant for every universe or just some?

dLMN8R

What a fantastic OP. And an amazing game. Well-done, all around.

I don't think the story is over-complicated at all. What matters most is the presentation, not the story itself. In Bioshock Infinite, mostly every detail is subtle, hidden in the world somewhere, obvious in retrospect. There's a lot of info given toward the end of the game, but it's almost all show, not tell. There are audiologs, but they're also short, brief, and well-edited.

In comparisons to Metal Gear games, they're the exact opposite. Not only are their stories even more complex, but they're also inexplicable. There's also a shitload of retconning as every new game comes out to recontextualize events from earlier games. Conversations go on and on, never-ending. There's no editing, the writing is essentially fan-fiction quality, and there's way more tell than show.

You are in 1984 during all of the Comstock house section. I assume the city just degenerates over 70 years much in the same way that Rapture did and Comstock house was the "asylum" of sorts.
Literally 1984, or metaphorically? I don't recall Booker stepping into sort of tear prior to entering C-House. My memory is pretty poor for that section. I do recall Old Liz talking about the crazies in C-House, so the asylum interpretation makes sense. I just recall walking around and hearing strange assertions such as Booker not showing for 6 months, and the various signs and vox-a-phones alluding to Liz's disillusionment with Booker as a savior

Metroidvania

Booker's racism comes from the earlier Indian War, and the allegations made to Comstock/Booker in one Comstock's voxophones indicate that he was accused of being part Indian. To prove himself, he butchered, scalped, and burned teepees with people inside them.

The guilt which he felt afterwards led him to the baptism event, but with it, Comstock, feeling that he is given free forgiveness by a greater power than himself, without putting any real effort into being a better person, continues his racist progression because he justifies his work as being led by divine purpose.

Meanwhile Booker, feeling regret but unable to go through with the baptism due to not believing in such forgiveness for his heinous actions, slowly comes to terms with what he did, or at least tries to via marrying his wife and having Anna, but after losing his wife, his despair builds up into large debts due to alcohol and gambling.

Ah, I screwed up there slightly.

Booker never comes to terms with his guilt (though he probably does try at some point), he internalizes it and directs it against himself, resulting in his debts and alcohol abuse. His only 'redeeming' aspect comes from getting Anna back from Comstock.

His wife possibly tries to 'save' him going off of Lady Comstock's question (if you believe that Booker's wife and she are the same person) of asking Liz if there is ever a universe where she tries to save Comstock/Booker.

Sorian

Banned
Literally 1984, or metaphorically? I don't recall Booker stepping into sort of tear prior to entering C-House. My memory is pretty poor for that section. I do recall Old Liz talking about the crazies in C-House, so the asylum interpretation makes sense. I just recall walking around and hearing strange assertions such as Booker not showing for 6 months, and the various signs and vox-a-phones alluding to Liz's disillusionment with Booker as a savior

Do you remember walking across the bridge to Comstock house and walking into some fog and feeling like you teleported when you got out? That was the tear to the literal year 1984.

Edit: Also, the 6 months that is talked about after you find your Liz is because when old Liz sends you back to your time, she pops you back 6 years in the future. So pretend the game takes place in March of 1912, she sends you back to September of 1912.

Stoze

I believe this is what happens. Comstock looks into the tear machine later and sees the Luteces going against him to get Booker back, who had already carved the AD onto his hand. Upon seeing this, he took precautions against Booker while telling Fink to take care of the Luteces, to account for the eventuality, the same as he did when sending the security team to wait in case Liz ever showed up. (The voxophone mentions that the team had been waiting a while.)

Ah, that makes sense. For some reason I was under the impression that Comstock was mainly getting his information through Rosalind and didn't bother too much with the quantum time fuck. The Fink killing Lutece plot from the voxophones slipped my mind.

I really do think the plot of this game is very interesting, and I had a good time dissecting it all, but I feel like having the infinite alternate universe plot device really trivializes the meaning behind your previous actions, and kinda dampers the whole setting of Columbia as well. It started with Booker and Elizabeth skipping through a few universes willy-nilly halfway through the game just to pick up some weapons, not really thinking about what it means to actually be in an alternate universe. I mean, did any of that shit really matter anyways? They could have entered a universe where the Vox were all killed, and at the end you just fight Comstock guys instead of Vox guys. As far as Booker and Elizabeth's actions go, where they were, when they were, and what they were doing didn't really matter until the siphon was destroyed. It was all seemingly orchestrated by random universe rifts that you enter and the Luteces.

jgminto

I'm interested in seeing what they will do with the DLC. Booker and Elizabeth's story is fairly tied up, with an open ending for speculation. I'm betting it'll focus more on Columbia, which wasn't really the focus of Infinite. I'd be interested in learning more about the key players of the Vox and the Founders.

I played through that scene in Fort Frolic again today to see if I could hear songbird, and that sound effect is definitely there. It seems like it triggers when you go near the stage but I think the sound might just be the security camera in another room.

DatDude

Banned
I really do think the plot of this game is very interesting, and I had a good time dissecting it all, but I feel like having the infinite alternate universe plot device really trivializes the meaning behind your previous actions, and kinda dampers the whole setting of Columbia as well.

It's meant to trivialize that though. It's intentional.

Top Bottom