• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite |OT| No Gods, Kings, or Irrational Games

I want to highlight that spoiler in relation to Chrono Trigger. But I can't. I really need to finish this but haven't had a chance to play it since Wednesday. =\

It gets worse.

I was stupid and jumped straight into 1999 mode.

And now I can't change the difficulty back because 1999 is so "hardcore". o_O

I don't think I have the "salt" to just start over from scratch on Hard or even Normal. I find the combat is lacking the level of elegance that Bioshock did regarding options for the player. I turned Bioshock on it's ear and there were so many interesting ways to defeat your enemies, even the bosses.

This one...not so much.

The handymen are awful to deal with and the only effective way I've managed to beat them is by using the secondary on the water vigor and then shooting them with a rocket launcher...and repeat. They move a little too quickly for me to enjoy the challenge of fighting them.

If the fights do indeed get worse than the fight in the vault, Infinite is becoming less and less appealing to me despite the exceptional world they crafted.

The combat is a little too straight-forward FPS for my liking.

Everyone should just use one of the patented cheese methods. A lot less headache.

What are these patented methods I'm not aware of?

SmithnCo

What are these patented methods I'm not aware of?

Use the charge vigor with Electric Punch, Blood to Salt, Vampire's Embrace, Last Man Standing. Then spam the crap out of her.

You could also try shooting her while holding up Return to Sender, then hit her with it for a lot of damage.

OR, storm gear, blood to salt, go crazy with fire.

Dresden

Godlike combo:
185px-Blood_to_Salt.png
+
125px-Hat_storm.jpg

Toss in the Overkill boots and everything you kill turns into a mini tesla coil.

conman

Too bad 60% of the fights aren't as well designed and just feel like filler to get to the next point. Perhaps playing on hard or 1999 mode would mitigate my complaints...or accentuate them.
I played on Hard, and that was pretty much my experience, too. So probably not. Combat is a definite improvement over the first game (tighter, more elegant UI, etc), but it's also a lot "flatter" overall without much in the way of versatility. Though the skylines still pretty much blow my mind every time.

But it does sound like folks playing on 1999 mode are having a better time with the combat. More strategic. Forces you to be more creative with your limited resources. Etc. I look forward to going back through.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I really don't like how much of an impact Gear can have on a fight considering it's all randomized. I had Blood to Salt and Storm very early on, and there is basically no reason for me to remove them given the other stuff I keep getting in the same category.

Andrew.

Banned
I really don't like how much of an impact Gear can have on a fight considering it's all randomized. I had Blood to Salt and Storm very early on, and there is basically no reason for me to remove them given the other stuff I keep getting in the same category.

You lucked out. So good how the game just randomly works like that.

Winter Shield/Storm/Blood-to-Salt

Get any of those three, bucking bronco and upgraded devil's kiss, congratulations, you've won the game! Doesn't really matter what weapon you use with that combo.

Mairu

Patch in a new game+ mode please! :[

I don't really want to play on higher difficulties but I'd love to play with all the upgrades unlocked from the beginning

Undertow is OP! At the end of the game,
I can kill six dudes instantly in like four trigger pulls by flinging them off things

And yeah, Blood to Salt.

I will say the downside of turning off every single tip and bit of HUD in the game is I only just learned the Hail Fire has a secondary fire mode. Do other guns have a secondary fire mode? :(

clav

I beat the game on a console.

come at me bro

One thing that consoles have done that they have made PC gaming setups "future proofed."

Still amazed that we can still play games on old hardware.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
damn straight, 1999 mode done.

5ICJ1kN.png

Too bad I didn't run into any epic gear in this pt outside of Storm and Brittle Bones. Blood to Salt sounds incredible. I actually ditched brittle bones in favor of faster shield regen, pretty damn useful on 1999.

So I've been playing for close to 20 hours, but I still don't know how to lock onto targets while on the skyhook rails. Maybe I'm blind, but I swear the hud says to click in the right thumbstick to lock on, but all that does for me is go into ADS. Playing on PC, but through my TV, so the font is a little small.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Just beat it... What the f...

So I've been playing for close to 20 hours, but I still don't know how to lock onto targets while on the skyhook rails. Maybe I'm blind, but I swear the hud says to click in the right thumbstick to lock on, but all that does for me is go into ADS. Playing on PC, but through my TV, so the font is a little small.

If an enemy is near the middle of the screen then it'll snap to them, you can still move it off and around though. It's just a super strong aim assist.

nomis

The music to me is very reminiscent of Greenwood's score in "There Will Be Blood", especially Songbirds theme.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zy9fvoR0ug

The seemingly erratic, yet tight percussion and twisted violin similarity is to a T. Coincidentally, both the game and the movie take place around the same time period.

The scene where that played was amazing. Perfect sync between the visuals and the sound.

Fuuuuuuuuck, 1:12 when you're riding the skyline was like injecting magic straight to my veins.

Just finished.. Wow

Second best game this gen (for me) Red Dead Redemption is first followed closely by Infinite.

I don't know what else to say that hasn't already been said.

Amazing experience.

beastmode

I am patiently awaiting his full Errant Signal episode. Campster has been my favorite YouTuber for about a year now.

I have a feeling I will disagree with this one far more than usual.
I like him too but some of that vid is just him sucking. Is he expecting pity or a fair fight from a Handyman?

Gartooth

Thinking that my next playthrough will be on medium so that I can experiment with the combat and all the vigors more, while at the same time being able to take in the world more and get a greater appreciation for the narrative and setting after having finished it once.

Also I don't want to start 1999 mode due to the bullshit I already had to deal with in Hard mode.
Fuck Sirens, fuck that first encounter in the graveyard without any ammo vendors.

Also will my voxophones and gear transfer over into the next save or will I have to start all over? (playing on Xbox)

Second playthrough on Hard. Just finished up the infamous encounter(s). Tough, but not too tough. Dreading the 1999 playthrough version of it, as I barely made it out on the last encounter. While it pushed back at me fairly hard, it is very rewarding using all my tools to get the upper hand.

That fight feels like the Alma fight from Ninja Gaiden.

Draper

After letting it sink it- the story, the gameplay, the immersion, the ending, the setting, the relationship with Anna- I've determined this is one of my favorite games of this gen.

Top Bottom