• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite |OT| No Gods, Kings, or Irrational Games

scitek

Just finished.. Wow

Second best game this gen (for me) Red Dead Redemption is first followed closely by Infinite.

I don't know what else to say that hasn't already been said.

Amazing experience.

Lol, how the hell do you rank games like that? I have trouble deciding which is my favorite from the last three months.

Lakitu

st5fu
Finished it a second time and already want to play it a third time. Will start 1999 in my next playthrough... whenever that is but I'm going to take a break and play some other games. Definitely buying the season pass and anxiously wait for the DLC.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Still on a BioShock high... Maybe now's the right time to give BS2 a chance. Don't think its reception here was that great, but is it still worth playing through?

Believe it or not, I actually already had it from the first Handyman fight! Without glitching it! I'm surprised as hell I managed to pull it off the very first time I fought one, but there you go.
Word. I'm pondering whether or not I should try to go for the achievement in my first HM fight, but I'm worried that it'll make the fighting more frustrating than it'll already be.
This game is creepy as all hell. The whole place has that feel of a dilapidated amusement park.
Isn't it great?
Finished it a second time and already want to play it a third time. Will start 1999 in my next playthrough... whenever that is but I'm going to take a break and play some other games. Definitely buying the season pass and anxiously wait for the DLC.
How have you guys finished two runs of the game already? I'm not even halfway through my first! Gah!
Everyone who's beaten Infinite and wants another very good Biostory has to play Minerva's Den.
This! I brought back my copy of BS2 for that reason alone.

I'm back at my apartment near my college, which means I've gone from 5.1 surround sound on a 42" 1080p HD TV to a 20 inch computer monitor. I don't think I can prepare myself for the difference in sound quality.

Sullichin

Still on a BioShock high... Maybe now's the right time to give BS2 a chance. Don't think its reception here was that great, but is it still worth playing through?

I loved Bioshock 2! The story was completely forgettable but the gameplay was great, it's all about setting traps. I gotta check out Minerva's Den, will probably get it on Steam next time it's on sale.
Is that still only available on PC through the Games for Windows store?

...Oh.

Draper

I'm the odd one here, beat 2 and Infinite but haven't touched the original. I'd give it a go if I wasn't so broke. I had to redbox Infinite, but still intend on picking it up sometime for the DLC.

This painting is everrrrrrywhere. Rembrandt's 1633 "The Storm on the Sea of Galilee". I initially mistook it for Théodore Géricault's "The Raft of the Medusa".

482px-Rembrandt_Christ_in_the_Storm_on_the_Lake_of_Galilee.jpg

Jinjo

Everyone who's beaten Infinite and wants another very good Biostory has to play Minerva's Den.

How does the maingame itself stack up? Skipped over 2, but looking for some more Bioshock-esque goodness (story-wise). Dishonored "looks" similar, how is that one?

Finished up 1999 mode and 1000/1000'd this today. 1999 mode was so good. Enjoyed it more than hard, it helps knowing the upgrade system better. Finished the last fight first try too, barely, but I did. Charge for life lol.

Kinda sad it's over. Hopefully DLC lands quick.

antitrop

Bioshock 2 is worth playing, and it's a good game, but it's so obviously not a "Levine game".

The plot isn't even trying to be on the same level.

Bioshock 2 feels like Bioshock 2 in a way that Bioshock Infinite does not feel like Bioshock 3.

Zeliard

Is that still only available on PC through the Games for Windows store?

Yeah but it launches through Steam afterwards.

GFWL is a hideous beast but it's worth taming it for something the quality of Minerva's Den. You should be able to just disable GFWL outright once it's installed, then run it through Steam.

How does the maingame itself stack up? Skipped over 2, but looking for some more Bioshock-esque goodness (story-wise).

It's very good. Bioshock 2 has some solid gameplay improvements over the first game and Minerva's Den is basically a compact, well-paced version of that, with a few new weapons and enemies. It also gives you the choice between several plasmids/tonics/weapons much earlier than the other Bioshock games do.

But the primary reason to play Minerva's Den is for the story. It's a good one, and it's another very strong ending.

IJoel

Son of a ... (last area spoilers)
Why do developers can't resist the temptation to put a "protect something" in their games? That protect the core, while taking down the Vox zeppelins is downright infuriating.
Boggles the mind why they do this.

So far, I'm loving the game, but the combat just leaves much to be desired.

Jinjo

It's very good. Bioshock 2 has some solid gameplay improvements over the first game and Minerva's Den is basically a compact, well-paced version of that, with a few new weapons and enemies. It also gives you the choice between several plasmids/tonics/weapons much earlier than the other Bioshock games do.

But the primary reason to play Minerva's Den is for the story. It's a good one, and it's another very strong ending.

Sounds good. It doesn't hurt that it's dirt cheap now too, guess I'll pick it up soon. DLC will probably as expensive as the game itself lol. Minerva's Den sounds really interesting. Can you access it from the start/is it a seperate story?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
It can't be that easy if you haven't finished it in 12 hours
Late-quoting this.

I beat it in 20 hours, and I died 3 times.

Sounds good. It doesn't hurt that it's dirt cheap now too, guess I'll pick it up soon. DLC will probably as expensive as the game itself lol. Minerva's Den sounds really interesting. Can you access it from the start/is it a seperate story?

Is your avatar a spoiler? And yes, Minerva's Den is a stand-alone story.

Jrmint

Ok can someone please explain this part to me, near the end of the game, and really confused by a plot point.

I just fought the 3rd version of Lady Comstock's ghost and then her and Elizabeth had a conversation. It was really hard to understand, but obviously was a big plot point. I know it has something to do with Elizabeth being created in the Lutece's machine and Comstock killing Lady Comstock, but can someone tie this together for me?

By the way I have NOT finished the game yet, so please do not spoil that part in the answer if possible.

Thanks.

Just finished it, and in record time considering I usually take ages to finish games. I just had to keep going...

Anyway, that ending... it was good, but not entirely unexpected.
Multi-worlds and quantum physics is always fun.

And what was the deal with
gramophone head? Did I kill him, I can't quite remember...he just kinda disappeared.

scitek

Yeah but it launches through Steam afterwards.

GFWL is a hideous beast but it's worth taming it for something the quality of Minerva's Den. You should be able to just disable GFWL outright once it's installed, then run it through Steam.
Wait, what? You mean you use Steam to launch it? And how do you get rid of GFWL? Crack it?

Gold_Loot

Damn, all this Bioshock2 talk has me thinking about picking it up again. I remember enjoying the game but not giving it more than a quick play through. Never did get any of the DLC. I might have to make a trip to the store tomorrow.

I just beat the game, and fuck. Definitely an awesome ending.

Are there multiple endings, and if so what things influence it and is there any way to get a new ending without going back and replaying the entire game?

Last question, if I start a new game on a harder difficulty will I keep all my weapons and upgrades, or is it a clean slate?

Hex

Banned
Hm. Couple of relatively well-known former Irrational guys' Twitter activity suggests they are not impressed with Infinite. Or Ken.

Of course not, they were not a part of it and people are saying that it is better than the work that they were a part of.

Zeliard

Wait, what? You mean you use Steam to launch it? And how do you get rid of GFWL? Crack it?

I meant that you launch Bioshock 2 through Steam (if you bought it there), and then run Minerva's Den through the Extras menu. Bioshock 2 is still GFWL, not Steamworks. It's possible to crack GFWL out if you want, but you should let it update the game first.

Just beat it about 20 minutes ago and the ending is one of the best endings I've ever seen. It's nice play a game where I'm playing it for the story - something that's usually a throwaway in games.

I especially loved the
duet during the ending credits
- a nice touch.

Oh yeah, holy shit at the number of saves the game stored on PS3. I checked and I had 50 autosaves by the end.

antitrop

The last time I was impressed by a single player DLC everybody hyped up was Shadow Broker for ME2

Have you actually played MD, though?
As I made clear above, I haven't, but I have never heard anything less than glowing praise. I doubt it would disappoint me.

If you weren't head over heels about it, you will literally be the first person I have ever seen express that opinion. Not that there's anything wrong with that, I don't even have an opinion on it.

As I made clear above, I haven't, but I have never heard anything less than glowing praise. I doubt it would disappoint me.

If you weren't head over heels about it, you will literally be the first person I have ever seen express that opinion. Not that there's anything wrong with that, I don't even have an opinion on it.

Yeah MD is amazing. It's better than the whole sum of B2

Nah, I haven't played it yet. I can't get past the absolute shit mouse acceleration/smoothing/GFWL deadly combo BS2 seems stuck with

Truant

Gravity Well then rocket spears. Mm.

There's a tweet attributing Infinite's reception to marketing, what looks like a criticism of Ken's clout over other people in the company, and a jab at his following in the media.

Link?

A project such as Infinite has a lot of toes. I don't want to derail the thread, but the mass exodus at Irrational wasn't without reason.

Zukuu

Banned
I don't really like FPS, so a game of that genre really has to offer something else to keep me interested. Far Cry 3 failed on every level, despite seeming interesting at first due to the setting and RPG elements. Turned out to be a generic shooter with one of the worst characters ever put into a video game. So my question, does Bioshock story hold up on its own to be worth playing? I didn't finished Bioshock 1 and didn't played 2.

antitrop

Nah, I haven't played it yet. I can't get past the absolute shit mouse acceleration/smoothing/GFWL deadly combo BS2 seems stuck with

Oh, I feel you. I was listening to a podcast a few months ago that mentioned the outstanding quality of Minerva's Den (think it was the Bombcast) and I went to download it that day. Once I realized it was only available through GFWL I gave up instantly.

Finishing Bioshock Infinite and my renewed interest in the franchise is the only thing causing me to overcome that right now.

I haven't been shy about bitching about the fucked Mouse Acceleration on GAF, either. I replayed Bioshock 1 last summer and I played with a controller, even though I didn't want to. I just didn't give a shit enough to bother with INI tweaks and all.

I reinstalled Rage a few days ago and realized it also suffered from terrible MA issues.

2012 really was one of the best years for PC gamers in modern times. We have it very good now compared to even just a few years ago.

Link?

A project such as Infinite has a lot of toes. I don't want to derail the thread, but the mass exodus at Irrational wasn't without reason.

A handful of people counts as a "max exodus"?

Oh, I feel you. I was listening to a podcast a few months ago that mentioned the outstanding quality of Minerva's Den (think it was the Bombcast) and I went to download it that day. Once I realized it was only available through GFWL I gave up instantly.

Finishing Bioshock Infinite and my renewed interest in the franchise is the only thing causing me to overcome that right now.

Do itttttt. Or just get it on 360/PS3 if you have either console.

Top Bottom