• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite |OT| No Gods, Kings, or Irrational Games

scitek

~14 hours, 70/80 voxophones

Mouth agape for the final 30 minutes. Amazing and jaw dropping finale, once
Elizabeth opened the tear to Rapture, I literally gasped, I honestly didn't expect that. And everything after that...fuck
. Aside from a few frustrating enemy encounters, then again I did play on hard, the game was stunning in nearly category. Easily one of the top 5 games of the past 10 years.

So excited for the DLC, so many possibilities.

Really wish I could feel like this about it, but I don't even know if I'd consider it the best game I've played this month. Crazy how different impressions of it can be.

nomis

There's a tweet attributing Infinite's reception to marketing, what looks like a criticism of Ken's clout over other people in the company, and a jab at his following in the media.

That must explain the enormous gulf between the glowing critical response from all the Ken Levine butt-boys and 2K money-hats, and the deluge of negative real-talk in this thread and others like it that have the stones to say how hamfisted the skyline gameplay and final act of the plot turned out.

oh wait

That must explain the enormous gulf between the glowing critical response from all the Ken Levine butt-boys and 2K money-hats, and the deluge of negative real-talk in this thread and others like it that have the stones to say how hamfisted the skyline gameplay and final act of the plot turned out.

oh wait
Still waiting for my check from Ken Levine. If it doesn't come by the next hour I'll be sure to trash the game later.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

holy crap holy crap holy crap

Dax you should stay out of this thread man. If it got spoiled for you it would be such a damn crime.

I am playing through it again just because I don't want to leave this world yet. Man I am obsessed with this game. What a amazing experience.

ME TOO, i thought it was just me

Seems to be the norm around here.

heytred

Neo Member
I just
boarded the first lady
. Am I past the halfway mark? I'm playing on 1999 mode, btw.

Unless I'm missing something... you have to beat the game in order to unlock 1999 mode... so if this were the case, wouldn't you already know how far along you were?

t-ramp

Unless I'm missing something... you have to beat the game in order to unlock 1999 mode... so if this were the case, wouldn't you already know how far along you were?
Nah, you can unlock 1999 with the Konami code before ever playing, I think.

beastmode

The sourest of grapes. Who's saying this?
the-wire-orlando-is-set-up-o.gif

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
My jaw dropped for part of it. Not in the usual "my jaw dropped" sense, but as in my actual mouth actually fell open.

Same here. In fact, most of the last few hours and the very start of the game did that to me. I need to replay the game a few more times but after a weekend of letting everything sink in and making my own connections and conclusions about the story I still think this may be my favorite game ever. Metroid Prime's 11 year streak may have come to an end.

Same here. In fact, most of the last few hours and the very start of the game did that to me. I need to replay the game a few more times but after a weekend of letting everything sink in and making my own connections and conclusions about the story I still think this may be my favorite game ever. Metroid Prime's 11 year streak may have come to an end.

Going through the
game again knowing the outcome is a sublime experience. The brilliance is in the details and what really separates what Irrational has done here with any game narrative that has come before.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Going through the
game again knowing the outcome is a sublime experience. The brilliance is in the details and what really separates what Irrational has done here with any game narrative that has come before.

MAJOR SPOILERS IN THIS POST
I initially was turned off with Comstock turning out to be an alt Booker since that's kind of a tired trope but thinking about the situation it's far more complex than usual. It took the idea of rebirth after baptism literally. What if that really was a different person? What would you do and how would you live after that? Comstock was also saving his own daughter from the sinner version of him. It's so much more multifaceted and far more interesting than most twists like that. I loved everything else about the ending right off the bat but that part has really grown on me since the other day.

leng jai

I agree. I actually think the game is better a second time.

Discovering intricacies of the story is only one part. You also have a far better understanding of what vigors do and what upgrades are required. Besides the wow factor everything should be better the second time in this game.

Tobor

Just finished it. I've never been so happy to make it through a game without being spoiled in my life.

What an incredible achievement this game is.

DukeBobby

I initially was turned off with Comstock turning out to be an alt Booker since that's kind of a tired trope but thinking about the situation it's far more complex than usual. It took the idea of rebirth after baptism literally. What if that really was a different person? What would you do and how would you live after that? Comstock was also saving his own daughter from the sinner version of him. It's so much more multifaceted and far more interesting than most twists like that. I loved everything else about the ending right off the bat but that part has really grown on me since the other day.

More spoilers:

One of the first Voxaphones you find in the game:

"One man goes into the waters of baptism. A different man comes out, born again. But who is that man who lies submerged? Perhaps that swimmer is both sinner and saint, until he is revealed unto the eyes of man"

It made so much sense on my second playthrough.

HUGE SPOILERS
Yeah the more you think about the game the more different facets of it stand out that are actually pretty profound. For me the idea that Booker and Comstock are the paths of two chosen realities any one of us could make is the most intriguing. Booker accepts his sins but it leads him down a self destructive path of drinking and gambling that he tries to drown his sorrows with and its his low self-worth that ultimately makes him feel not worthy of Anna and actually sell her.

Comstock though is the path of justification and by being born again creates a fiction that allows him to excuse his past actions and even worse paint them in a righteous light. This creates a monster capable of the most heinous crimes imaginable.

Man I love this game

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
It really is crazy how intricate and well thought out every little narrative detail is in this game. Everything has a purpose and relates to the central themes so well. This is one game that is incredibly fun and fascinating to analyze.

katkombat

Banned
More spoilers:
One of the first Voxaphones you find in the game:

"One man goes into the waters of baptism. A different man comes out, born again. But who is that man who lies submerged? Perhaps that swimmer is both sinner and saint, until he is revealed unto the eyes of man"

It made so much sense on my second playthrough.

Loving the little subtle forshadows here and there. It all makes sense on the second playthrough. As soon as it was revealed that MAJOR SPOILERS
Anna was Elizabeth who was Booker's daughter (essentially), I was like, oh! AD means Anna DeWitt! (I think...)

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Loving the little subtle forshadows here and there. It all makes since on the second playthrough. As soon as it was revealed that MAJOR SPOILERS
Anna was Elizabeth who was Booker's daughter (essentially), I was like, oh! AD means Anna DeWitt! (I think...)

Yeah, that was a great lightbulb moment. It was such a satisfying payoff after wondering what AD stood for the whole game.

Maaseru

Banned
Finished it yesterday. Awesome game. On my 2nd playthrough in 1999 mode.

SO what's the deal with that mode? What's different? I've been playing better than my 1st run and don't see problems at all.

Loved the story, really enjoying it more on my 2nd playthrough.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I hope I can find all of the collectables on my second run. I wound up with 77/80 Voxophones and 35/37 Sightseer. So goddamn close with no guide.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I had nowhere near that, so, congrats lol.

I explored, too!

I have no idea what I missed aside from one piece of gear. I searched every area with a fine tooth comb.

For most of the game,
I thought Anna was his dead wife.
Pretty sure we all did. Well executed misdirect. When he said she died during childbirth but that he didn't have a kid I figured she was married to another man. Boy was I wrong.

mileS

health vs shields for the infusion upgrades? I maxed shields out on my normal play through. I'm thinking health for hard? Not sure if it matters thaaat much. opinions?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
health vs shields for the infusion upgrades? I maxed shields out on my normal play through. I'm thinking health for hard? Not sure if it matters thaaat much. opinions?

Shields and Salt

I also got a piece of gear that reduced the shield delay by a second and sped up the recharge. That helped a lot. I rarely even took health damage and Elizabeth had my back when I did.

Is there anyone at all that disliked Infinite, and where can I go to discuss?

The only thing good I can say about it is that it is absolutely gorgeous. And polished to bits.

It was great until the shooting started.

The only thing good I can say about it is that it is absolutely gorgeous. And polished to bits.

There's an Evillore thread where about a hundred people appearently feel the exact same way

It's an interesting conversation

DukeBobby

You can discuss it right here, or in the 'Bioshock Infinite shouldn't be a shooter' thread.

It's between this and Rising for me, but who knows what the rest of the year holds. Outside a few select titles, Q3/Q4 is wide open for next-gen titles, some current-gen last hurrahs, those little surprise games we don't even know about yet, and hopefully some impressive Nintendo games. If 3D Mario Wii-U Mario even gets close to the quality of SMG2, BI will have some comp for me.

Handymen are absolutely TERRIFYING...

but oh-so fun to fight. I spent an hour trying to kill him for the achievement, gave up and decided I couldn't do it on hard (I'll find some other way), and tried to beat him using all I got. The trick is to keep moving or make him walk in a predictable pattern. Hand cannon is a beast against these guys.

I possessed the turret and basically went around a huge wall with him. Every time he would try to run up to me, I'd shoot him a couple of times and run to the other side. At one point I laid a trap where I knew he had to walk, and he got caught in it. Next time I'll lay three down in a row and see what happens.

Top Bottom