• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite |OT| No Gods, Kings, or Irrational Games

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I always hate super early GotY discussions. There is no point in even worrying what will be your top few games of the year, going into something with that expectation is a good way to get burned. Many games can come out of nowhere and blow you away and there is a significant amount of time remaining for that to happen. Who knows what we'll even be playing on when this year ends.

Sanctuary

Is there anyone at all that disliked Infinite, and where can I go to discuss?

The only thing good I can say about it is that it is absolutely gorgeous. And polished to bits.

It was great until the shooting started.

Yeah, I felt the same way until 3/4ths of the game was already over. Then you get some interesting upgrades, and the gameplay starts to become slightly more dynamic. But by that point it's essentially over. Really sucks too, because it would have been fun to play the entire game with some of the vigors you don't find until near the end. By that point there are also two weapons that matter at all: hand cannon (which is pretty much one of the two guns you should always have anyway) and the shotgun.

I always hate super early GotY discussions. There is no point in even worrying what will be your top few games of the year, going into something with that expectation is a good way to get burned. Many games can come out of nowhere and blow you away and there is a significant amount of time remaining for that to happen. Who knows what we'll even be playing on when this year ends.

I definitely didn't expect Mark of the Ninja to be my GotY of 2012. Hell, at this point last year, I didn't even know what they hell that game was

like I said, I agree with you; who knows what the year will hold

But the bar has been set, I think

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
There's an Evillore thread where about a hundred people appearently feel the exact same way

It's an interesting conversation

I think it would also be interesting if Infinite had been a game like Heavy Rain. Then, would we have complains for it not being a game or fun?

Maybe it was how some item placing was done, or something, but it's interesting to think (since I still don't have the game, but hey just 23 hours til I do!).

ASTROID2

Just finished the game and all I have to say is wow. Enjoyed every moment of it. Also enjoyed watching the credits because of the great music.

I'm comparing it to my previous games of the year. XCOM: Enemy Unknown, Dark Souls, Super Meat Boy, Uncharted 2, Persona 4, the original Bioshock. These games are my Games of the Generation contenders (although Persona 4 wasn't this generation technically), and Infinite easily beats about half of them. I'd say my GotG right now is between Dark Souls, Uncharted 2, and Infinite.

So if another game comes out this year that's even better than Infinite? It'll be one of the best years of gaming ever.

Neiteio

It's between this and Rising for me, but who knows what the rest of the year holds. Outside a few select titles, Q3/Q4 is wide open for next-gen titles, some current-gen last hurrahs, those little surprise games we don't even know about yet, and hopefully some impressive Nintendo games. If 3D Mario Wii-U Mario even gets close to the quality of SMG2, BI will have some comp for me.
Man after my own heart. I'm also debating between Rising and Infinite, probably giving the nod to Infinite for its wonderous world.

Fire Emblem and Luigi's Mansion are fantastic, as well. Going forward, I expect great things from The Wonderful 101, Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs, and Super Mario WiiU. The Last of Us and Puppeteer also look promising. And there are probably other games I'm forgetting.

But yeah... Who knows? You mentioned Mark of the Ninja, a game I own but have not yet played. For me, my equivalent last year was Hotline Miami -- game came out of nowhere and blew my mind. And the year before that, Bulletstorm for $5 in the Christmas Steam sale made it take my GOTY award at the last minute.

There's no guessing one's GOTY!

I think from a design standpoint and from an interactive standpoint (what the Handyman says while you're fighting), I think Handymen are more terrifying than Big Daddies.

As I said, I didn't have too much trouble with him, though I do agree that he has more health than he should. I can definitely see where the "It's tedious!" complaints come from. He probably hits the sweet spot on either Easy or Normal.

So often in this game I sit down and expect to play, but I end up doing something else like
exploring a boardwalk
or fighting a handyman for an hour.

I love it. Around 11+ hours now. I saved right after I entered the
Good Time Club, where outside it says "Booker Dewitt Audition." Hm.

As for the GOTY discussion, I can say this will likely be mine. I'm pretty good at guessing my GOTY as soon as I play it, though more often than not change my opinion in retrospect. I knew Portal 2 would by my GOTY in 2011 as soon as I put the controller down.

I remember back in 2007 I said BioShock was my GOTY, but in retrospect I'd change that to Halo 3. In 2010 it was Reach, but I'd say it's Super Mario Galaxy 2 now.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I definitely didn't expect Mark of the Ninja to be my GotY of 2012. Hell, at this point last year, I didn't even know what they hell that game was

like I said, I agree with you; who knows what the year will hold

But the bar has been set, I think

I was specifically going to mention Mark of the Ninja in my post, lol. With stuff like that, Spelunky, and Binary Domain I was personally having a year full of great little surprises.

K.Sabot

Best thing I came away with from Bioshock Infinite is the Tears for Fears cover.

I love it waaaaaaaaaaay more than the original.

Robot Pants

Hahahaha.... Well. I think I'm done with this game.

I started playing on hard and made it all the way to
the second lady comstock ghost fight
and decided I couldn't take the tedious awful gunplay of this game. So I set the difficulty to normal just so I could finish the game and see where the story was going (really only good thing about the game) and when I went to the next loading screen it said my profile couldn't load my save file. Then the game crashed.
Started it up again and now it says saved game is corrupted.
So I gotta start over.
I might be passing

Super quick and super minor detail plot question from about halfway into the game:

What are they bidding in Finkton? The minutes...how fast they can perform the job?

RoKKeR

Hahahaha.... Well. I think I'm done with this game.

I started playing on hard and made it all the way to
the second lady comstock ghost fight
and decided I couldn't take the tedious awful gunplay of this game. So I set the difficulty to normal just so I could finish the game and see where the story was going (really only good thing about the game) and when I went to the next loading screen it said my profile couldn't load my save file. Then the game crashed.
Started it up again and now it says saved game is corrupted.
So I gotta start over.
I might be passing

For me, Bioshock is about the story, atmosphere, world, music, characters...pretty much everything but the gameplay. I know that contradicts the fact that it's a "game" but I've become casual as fuck and just play games to enjoy them, and rarely find myself embracing challenge.

That's what I did with Infinite and I absolutely loved it.

Hylian7

So I tried to play BioShock 1 again today and realized how glad I am at the things they fixed mechanically in Infinite. The biggest offender: You can't have your weapon and plasmids out at the same time! I completely forgot about this, makes Infinite so much different. Also the guns in Infinite feel SO much better. Now if only we could have a mod to remove the 2-weapon limit.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Super quick and super minor detail plot question from about halfway into the game:

What are they bidding in Finkton? The minutes...how fast they can perform the job?
I interpreted that as
paid minutes. Like, "I'll do the job for eight and a half paid minutes even if it takes a half hour to complete.

Robot Pants

For me, Bioshock is about the story, atmosphere, world, music, characters...pretty much everything but the gameplay. I know that contradicts the fact that it's a "game" but I've become casual as fuck and just play games to enjoy them, and rarely find myself embracing challenge.

That's what I did with Infinite and I absolutely loved it.
I hear you man. That's what it is to me also. I don't even know why I put it on hard, I'm usually used to games being so easy lately. I figured I'd stick with it since I made it so far but enough was enough. Lowering the difficulty was the right choice. Also this game really sucks with a controller. Especially on hard.

Oh also I restarted steam and it loaded my save.

So I tried to play BioShock 1 again today and realized how glad I am at the things they fixed mechanically in Infinite. The biggest offender: You can't have your weapon and plasmids out at the same time! I completely forgot about this, makes Infinite so much different. Also the guns in Infinite feel SO much better. Now if only we could have a mod to remove the 2-weapon limit.
Bioshock 2 fixed it, along with a load of other broken mechanics from 1.

Maxed out Magnum + Carbine was what I walked through most of the game with
Carbine for easy Headshot OHK's on mooks, Magnum for The Handymen, MechaWashingtons, bosses, etc
Combine the Magnum's Raw power with the perk that fives you a 40% chance of instantly refilling your mag for free when you shoot the last round, and I've taken down tough enemies in seconds with 12 magnum shots

When you fight
Lady Comstock it never took me more than 30 sec to kill her each time, as the magnum is just that powerful, add the hat that gives you +50% dmg on crits and you can take her down in one mag

Just finished the game. Definitely one of the best stories I've played through, ending got a little weird and hard to understand I have so many questions. One of those games you definitely have to play through twice.

Ending twist was not as good as I expected and I called half of it.

Bioshock games have such great atmosphere. The world and sound.music go really well and the worlds are really fleshed out.

Now to start playthrough number 2.

Noema

I'm happy to learn that, just like Bioshock 1, it's possible to disable V-Sync in the console versions of Infinite for higher framerates. More games should offer this option, methinks. Personally higher frame rates are much more important to me than no-tearing.

I'm currently replaying Bioshock 1 on 360. I played it on PC when it first came out, but my video card died and I'm currently using a subpar one, so for this replay I went console and figured I might pick up some achievements along the way. The game is actually pretty smooth with V-Sync off but constantly dips in what feels like sub-20fps with V-Sync on. How anybody could ever play like that is beyond me.

I'm actually enjoying it more this time around. I was a bit dissapointed with it back in 2007, since I was really hyped and felt the game's mechanics didn't live up to the 'Shock' pedigree and to everything that had been shown regarding 'emergent gameplay' scenarios and what not. This time my expectations are different and I'm just enjoying the game for what it is: an atmospheric, story driven shooter with an awesome setting that also gives you some very nifty toys to play with (even though most of the guns are sort of lame). Getting two Big Daddies to kill one another while you just collect the spoils is cool as hell.

Is there any sort of neutral, optional mini-boss type enemy like the Big Daddies in Infinite? I'm assuming no.

I'll take a break after finishing it and then on to Bioshock 2, which I have never played. Hopefully I won't be burnt out by the time I get to Infinite.

Mayyhem

any tips for
the last battle with songbird when you command him, i can't seem to fucking beat this part its so annoying, it takes so long and then when they destroy the fucking core you have to start all over, this game is taking its toll on me like no other i really just want to finish so i can sell it.

please, any help, please

*end fight spoilers

SmithnCo

any tips for
the last battle with songbird when you command him, i can't seem to fucking beat this part its so annoying, it takes so long and then when they destroy the fucking core you have to start all over, this game is taking its toll on me like no other i really just want to finish so i can sell it.

please, any help, please

*end fight spoilers

Place Return to Sender mines on and around the core. They will absorb bullets. Consider taking out the zeppelin yourself and let song bird kill the enemies on the deck.

leng jai

Do you know what the best thing about multiplayer is? All the DLC will be story based. Nothing worse than great campaign getting no extension because of DLC that's dedicated to a mode that no one cares about.

sn00zer

any tips for

please, any help, please

*end fight spoilers

Use Song bird to take out large airships and airships with rocket launchers on them....then use Songbird on ground enemies once 2 or more mechanized patriots appears...and dont worry about dying so much....also make sure to take out heavy enemies first, and basically never stop shooting or killing even while running away for supplies

Top Bottom