• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite |OT| No Gods, Kings, or Irrational Games

So I finally started playing this.

Everything is nice and colourfull, lots of friendly NPC's around, then all of a suddern everything goes to shit and people are shooting and trying to kill me and I have no idea wtf is going on and Im just running to where I have to go next.

red731

Everything is nice and colourfull, lots of friendly NPC's around, then all of a suddern everything goes to shit and people are shooting and trying to kill me and I have no idea wtf is going on and Im just running to where I have to go next.

:lol
Spot on! I am dying of laughter in here, man. Enjoy the game!

DatDude

Banned
He said "and why".

Seriously speaking, any version will do just fine. I played it on the Xbox 360 version and had no issues with controls, framerate or glitches; apart from that music glitch which happened to me once.

Oh lol, I thought he meant which version came bundled together with the original bioshock which would've been the ps3 version.

Honestly, I'd still say the ps3 version.

It has a few minor updates through the game (like the tweaking of the camera sounds and what not). Just a few neat minor improvements...and also comes with the sonic boom plasmid that was previously dlc for the 360 version.

Also it comes with the challenge room dlc..which is basically new location scenarios that have you do interesting puzzles/challenges.

Pegasos123

dont worry ... everything will be explained :-D

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Thanks guys! Since it doesnt seem to matter much, I will probably end up with the 360-version. Looking forward to play it!

dralla

How does the Senders Aid vigor upgrade work? I love the hand cannon and wanna keep it at all times, I thought I would absorb ammo from bullets being shot at me and keep refilling my ammo, but it doesn't do..shit?

Replicant

Is that "Sightseeing" trophy glitched? I swear I've checked all 37 (and some more) but I still haven't got it. Is there anything I could have missed? I followed a guide too.

DatDude

Banned
Considered the track record for this game, I wouldn't be surprised if we'd have to wait a year. They didn't even announce what they are planning to release and people shouldn't have given money upfront to them with the season pass.

Um that's not true at all.

They already said they plan to release 3 dlc self contained narrative episodes that will help flesh out the narrative and world of columbia and infinite.

The 2nd and 3rd episode are directed by Ken Levine himself, the 1st is directed by someone else.

Oh lol, I thought he meant which version came bundled together with the original bioshock which would've been the ps3 version.

Honestly, I'd still say the ps3 version.

It has a few minor updates through the game (like the tweaking of the camera sounds and what not). Just a few neat minor improvements...and also comes with the sonic boom plasmid that was previously dlc for the 360 version.

Also it comes with the challenge room dlc..which is basically new location scenarios that have you do interesting puzzles/challenges.

I'm curious what you meant by the bolded comment.

Yawnier

Banned
Just picked this game up, 2 months late to the party but oh well.

I hope I'm in for a hell of a ride after playing Bioshock 1 and 2 for the first time a few months ago.

Just started this up last night for the first time (PS3), and I've got to say the game looks incredible. I'm kinda shocked at the complaints people have had, saying it's not that impressive. Even with the PS3 version apparently having a lower res than the 360 version, it still had a very clean image quality.

I only had an hour to play last night, so I haven't even gotten to any action, as I was just taking in all the sights and sounds, but man, this world they've created is just amazing to see.

muzzymate

I'm kinda shocked at the complaints people have had, saying it's not that impressive.

I've only seen Youtube 1080p videos of the PC version, and yes, textures & geometry were way more impressive on the PC. But my Macbook Pro can barely play the original Bioshock without hiccuping, so that wasn't an option for me. I played the 360 version to completion and was completely satisfied. Just enjoy the game!

I'm currently playing the Bioshock from the PS3 version of Bioshock Infinite. The game is so good. I played the demo of it years ago but never felt I needed to buy it. Thank god it came with the PS3 version of BI because I probably would have never played this masterpiece.

Please tell me I can expect the same thing from Bioshock Infinite?

I also realized how much Treyarch took from Bioshock for their zombies games in COD. Wow! Kevin Levine is a genius!

So I have finally got around to playing this game, I'm about 4 hours in right now on the PS3 version. It's good, not quite as good as Bioshock 1 for me yet.

I feel like where the original Bioshock was somewhat realistic (ish) Infinite just feels like a silly cartoon. The way Elizabeth hates you and then all of a sudden accepts you and becomes your partner again is odd, this is not how people act - this has happened twice already. The use of vigors isn't really explained, where in Bioshock - ADAM was instrumental to the downfall of Rapture. In Infinite vigors are just here and nobody gives a shit. The tech they have is a bit of a push for early 1900's too. I know, videogame, but it annoys me.

The city of Columbia is covered in these grand statues at every corner, with people spewing random nonsense in the streets.. it just all so easy to walk by it all.. I dont think it has the same message than say compared to Andrew Ryan, no gods or kings only man, it's all very forgettable.

I keep getting lost, not sure where to go... is there some sort of objective marker ?

I guess I have more time to play, for the record I liked Bioshock 2. Turning off vertical sync on PS3 is a cool feature.

Salamando

I keep getting lost, not sure where to go... is there some sort of objective marker ?

In the PC version at least, there was a button you could push that'd show an arrow towards your next objective.

Has any word come out of E3 about the DLC and when it might land?

None that I know of. Really weird now that I think about it. The Steam page for the season pass says all content will be available for individual purchase by March 2014, indicating an average of 4 months between releases, and we're almost at 3 months since the game came out.

On consoles you can press up on the D-Pad to show a marker to see where to go next. I have no idea how you can get lost in Infinite though. The marker is useful to me when you have two different directions to go in. You can bring up the arrow and see which direction you are supposed to go, and then go in the opposite direction. Heh, it's like that in every game. Always go the opposite direction of where you're supposed to go. There's always a secret for you.

So I've been playing this for the last couple of days.

I'm close to what I presume is the end of the game.

Levine sure has a grotesque and macabre imagination. I worry about the guy's sanity :p

What do you guys recommend for a Vigor loadout in 1999? Here's what I ran with on my first playthrough on Hard mode and it was mostly a breeze.

Fully upgraded Carbine
Fully upgraded Shotgun
Fully upgraded Volleygun (I pretty much ran with Carbine and Volleygun until I started using Charge)

Fully upgraded Possession
Fully upgraded Devil's Kiss - amazing synergy with Crows and Storm
Fully upgraded Murder of Crows - first upgrade is amazing
Fully upgraded Shock Jockey - Chain lightning, also works well with Charge
Fully upgraded Charge - Bioshock Vanguard!

7/7/9 for Health/Shield/Salts

My Gear:

Storm
Blood to Salts
Overkill
Urgent Care

I didn't really mess with Bucking Bronco, Undertow and Return to Sender at all. Murder of Crows seemed like the better disabler because of the trap on death effect, Undertow felt awkward (though I just learned it WRECKS machines) and pulling seemed more cumbersome than just charging, and I didn't really need Return to Sender once I started using an upgraded Charge.

Before I started using Charge I was mainly using Devil's Kiss and Murder of Crows with the Carbine, and the Volleygun for heavy enemies. After upgrading Devil's Kiss and
using Storm, one use was usually enough to take out a group of normal enemies. The first enemy you kill just sets off a chain explosion that almost always took care of the rest.

The game became a cakewalk after upgrading Charge and Shock Jockey. Hitting a group with chain lightning, charging in, 1-shotting everyone with the shotgun and letting Overkill work it's magic, it was just crazy overpowered. Every time I took damage I could just zap em and charge to refresh my shields.

Now I know that resources are much more limited in 1999 mode so I probably won't be able to fully upgrade as many Vigors. What do you guys recommend? Bucking Bronco has a pretty awesome combo with Charge, is it worth dropping one of my other Vigors?

^ I'd recommend going 0/10/10 as for Health/Shield/Salts, and if you then have leftovers you can build up your health more. Imo shield and vigor is way more useful than health. If you want to you can sacrifice some Salts for Health but make sure to get 10 in Shield before starting on Health.

I'm almost done with Bioshock. Now i'm thinking of getting 2. Is Bioshock 2 worth playing through? I don't want it to feel like a task just to start playing infinite. I was going to just play infinite but since the first game came with it i decided to play it.

DSmalls84

I'm almost done with Bioshock. Now i'm thinking of getting 2. Is Bioshock 2 worth playing through? I don't want it to feel like a task just to start playing infinite. I was going to just play infinite but since the first game came with it i decided to play it.

2 just further expands on the story of Bioshock 1 and Rapture. It is a good game but you don't need to play it before Infinite. It's basically Bioshock 1 with worse Story but better controls/gameplay.

Might as well ask here, I want to play the original Bioshock, what version should I get and why?
I don't know if you played Bioshock Infinite yet but the PS3 version comes with the first Bioshock on the disc. You could get both games for $40.

It might not interest you but I figured I'd throw the option out there to let you know. If you're not interested someone else probably knows which one is better more then I would.

^ I'd recommend going 0/10/10 as for Health/Shield/Salts, and if you then have leftovers you can build up your health more. Imo shield and vigor is way more useful than health. If you want to you can sacrifice some Salts for Health but make sure to get 10 in Shield before starting on Health.
Sounds good. Any advice on Vigor specialization? I went back and tested a fully upgraded Bucking Bronco and it's pretty amazing for disabling. It's extremely cheap to use and syngerizes with Charge very well. It's an extremely effective combo for quickly taking out Firemen, Beasts, basically any bullet sponge that's more resilient than the general foot soldier.

I'm leaning towards Shock Jockey/Murder of Crows combo for longer range Carbine encounters, Bucking Bronco/Charge for Shotgun encounters, and Possession for just being useful in all scenarios.

120v

so i had played through Infinite twice on 360, was blown away, one of my favorite games, yaddayadda

flash forward to last week i came home from the bar drunk, wanted to play it again but i forgot i let a friend borrow it. so i opened steam and went ahead and bought it, even though it was full price and was pretty sure it wouldn't run on my laptop... but lo and behold it runs nearly perfectly

i just wanted to say how much playing this on PC really adds to the experience. the amount of detail put into this is even more apparent. on console i never noticed the floaties lingering in the sunlight through the window, the roaches scurrying along the floor of shanty town, and just how beautiful the sky vistas really are when you stop and look. i mean, i know its no secret games look alot better on PC but its like i'm rediscovering what was already an amazing game.

third playthrough and i'm still not sick of it. maybe the rummaging can get a little tiring because i'm discovering more nooks and crannies and its like SIGH. but its still holding up amazingly well for me three months later

Yeah, Bioshock 2 is great. Everyone seems to hate it though. The story is inferior to the first game but the gameplay is better. The DLC Minerva's Den for Bioshock 2 is also really good and features a good storyline.

You can play 2 and Infinite in whatever order though. If you're fed up on Rapture you can play Infinite and then play 2 whenever you feel like it. There are literally no references to Bioshock 2 (although you'll find some references from the first game). Bioshock 2 was made by a different team, though some people from Irrational helped out.

Sounds good. Any advice on Vigor specialization? I went back and tested a fully upgraded Bucking Bronco and it's pretty amazing for disabling. It's extremely cheap to use and syngerizes with Charge very well. It's an extremely effective combo for quickly taking out Firemen, Beasts, basically any bullet sponge that's more resilient than the general foot soldier.

I'm leaning towards Shock Jockey/Murder of Crows combo for longer range Carbine encounters, Bucking Bronco/Charge for Shotgun encounters, and Possession for just being useful in all scenarios.

To be honest I've got nothing on vigor specialization. It really depends on your playstyle but the way I figure you can stick with just a few and roll with it. Possession is a fan-favourite and many see it as really powerful. As for Charge, personally I don't see it as all too useful in Infinite because you're most likely gonna want to stay away from enemies in open levels, and in not-so-open corridor levels it's nearly useless since you're always near enemies anyway. That's just my view though, maybe others favour Charge more. I did love the drill charge in Bioshock 2. What you said in your second paragraph sounds good to me. Sounds like you've got all the best vigors covered there.

Is Levine working in the DLCs?

He's directing two of the three DLC's. Probably has as hand in all three though.

Truant

Did we ever find out how the Songbird machines knew exactly when to conveniently call the Songbird? Right now it seems it's just because of plot reasons.

My only guess would be that Comstock would obviously know where to place them and when to trigger them.

trilobyte

Was finally able to play this after my computer upgrade and finished it last night.

I guess I'm in a unique position in that A) Never played any of the previous *Shock games and B) Haven't really played a single-player FPS since Half-Life 2

This has been the most fun I've had playing a single-player game in years! The fact that I finished it says a lot...I get bored with games really really quickly.

- Are FPS games this visceral and cinematic these days? I was floored by the huge cinematic and exciting shootouts.

- The game-play pattern started to become extremely apparent. Walk to a room, shootout, collect junk, walk to next room, repeat. Luckily the story was engaging enough to keep me going. It would have helped to have some new enemy types to fight against, but after the first half of the game you've seen them all save for a couple towards the end.

- Despite the above, combat itself is a blast; you make it as fun as you want it to be. Each location has its a variety of ways to take on a shootout. It's also fun trying different combos of vigors and attacks on various enemies.

- Elizabeth was great! There's a spot in the game where you don't have her with you; it felt like I lost my left-hand. That's a testament to how fully developed the character is as well as her ability to help you in the game.

- The story teased itself apart at a good pace for me but the plot overall was a mixed bag. I guess it's because I just came off watching the entire series of Fringe, so I'm pretty burned out on multiverse stories. There were many parallels (aaaaaaaah!) to Fringe almost to the point that I think the writers were fans of the show. The ending did manage to surprise me though.

- The story was the main driving point for me. While the game-play was fun, there wasn't enough there to make me want to play again ASAP. It's just not that type of game for me. Multiple endings, split experiences based on choice, and game-play rewards (not achievements) are the things that get me back into a game. 1999 mode looks intriguing though. I plan to re-play just to experience it but I don't know how far it'll hold my attention.

spidye

the bioshock 1 promotion is US-only?

oh the irony

anyway, bought the game recently and I'm still at the beginning but I think this is already my GOTY

bright beautiful locations, my favourite timeline in american history with some crazy science fiction thrown in.

I love it.

Linkhero1

Just started playing this. About five hours into it and I'm not digging it as much as the first two games. The combat feels off for whatever reason and that sense of adventure isn't there. I'm hoping it gets better but I'm disappointed so far.

conman

Just started playing this. About five hours into it and I'm not digging it as much as the first two games. The combat feels off for whatever reason and that sense of adventure isn't there. I'm hoping it gets better but I'm disappointed so far.
First 1/3 to 1/2 are the best parts. The back half gets bogged down in plot ridiculousness. If you're not digging it now, just wait.

Is there a way to get the clothes box that's locked behind the gate at the memorial graveyard? I assumed i was going to be able to use a tear like i did when we went to see elizabeth's mother who was also behind a gate but nope.

Is there a way to get the clothes box that's locked behind the gate at the memorial graveyard? I assumed i was going to be able to use a tear like i did when we went to see elizabeth's mother who was also behind a gate but nope.
If I recall correctly, there are torches on the outside that you need to light with Devil's Kiss.
It's a bit obtuse since you never have to do anything else like that to uncover secrets in the game, but I believe Bioshock 1 had a similar secret in Arcadia.

Linkhero1

It's starting to grow on me as I continue plowing through areas. Still not as great as the first two games imo in terms of gameplay. I do like performing my melee moves and finishers though :p

Top Bottom